[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vietnamese Tasty Soup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: kangnam-pho-house-pho.jpg (1 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
kangnam-pho-house-pho.jpg
1 MB, 2816x2112
Who /Pho/ here?
Are there any good Pho places around you?
What meat do you prefer in your Pho?
What additional seasoning do you put in your Pho?
>>
We have a few decent places around town. There's a lot of them in chinatown, but most of them are meh. I like raw beef, cooked flank, tendon and tripe not a huge fan of the rubber balls they claim have meat in them. I'll put basil, sprouts and chiles if they're available, otherwise chili paste or sriracha, in that order of preference. Fuck hoisin.

Bun bo hué once in a while too, that shit is cash
>>
>>7036803
>Are there any good Pho places around you?
Only one place that I know of. They treat me like shit. Probably because I'm white. I haven't been back.
>What meat do you prefer in your Pho?
I like the sliced brisket or whatever it is.
>What additional seasoning do you put in your Pho?
I dump it all in like a pleb.
>>
>>7036826
>Fuck hoisin.
Same. Shit tastes like a spicy pumpkin latte or something.
>>
>>7036829
What gets me is that it's sweet. I can tolerate some amount of sweetness in most savory foods, even though I'm not a huge fan, but fucking soup? Nah.
>>
>>7036827
>They treat me like shit. Probably because I'm white.

That's probably not it. You see, with Asian food service, all they care about is that you get your food fast. They won't kiss your ass or even wipe the tables properly after you're done.
>>
>>7036840
That's fine, but they gave me a fork and spoon, and a Vietnamese couple came in and they got chopsticks and the little soup spoon thing.

I get they are trying to cater to multiple cultures, but fuck that. Ask me. Don't assume I can't use chopsticks.

It's probably just me being autistic, though.
>>
>>7036826
>>7036829
And I thought I was the only one, hoisin has never appealed to me.

How are you supposed to add siracha/other sauces? I've just squirted it in and stirred it with the soup spoon, but recently I've been seeing people just put a little bit on their soup spoon after each bite.
>>
>>7036840
Some places are still worse than others. I'm not trying to be best friends with the waiter, so no-nonsense efficiency is appreciated, but there is still a base level of politeness that should be there. Like, you know, greeting the customer instead of just walking up with your notepad and staring expectantly.

Not the guy you replied to btw
>>
File: IMG_8940_630.jpg (99 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8940_630.jpg
99 KB, 630x420
>>7036848
They have a little dipping plates where the chopsticks usually are. You can use it to dip your meats and then eat it with the noodles.
>>
>>7036854
thank you based mo pho
>>
>>7036845
Nope, that's straight up rude. Although I don't understand why there aren't bunch of chopsticks and spoons in a rack on the table. Every pho place I've ever been to does it like that.

>>7036848
>supposed

you can do whatever you want, really. I like a little bit of chili paste in the broth and a bigger helping on the side to dip my meat. Towards the end I usually say fuck it and add directly to the remainder of the broth until it's red. Gotta clear those sinuses
>>
>>7036803
How can you tell you are eating "good" pho? Is there anything I can look for specifically. Usually it all tastes good but that could just be due to how hot it is when it comes out.
>>
>>7036898
>>7032850
>>
>>7036898
Red flags:
They serve "asian" food, not just viet.
The name is a pun (there's a Pho Sho where I live).
If a race war started in the restaurant, whites would win.
They don't have fresh chiles, just sriracha (some places like that are decent, but good ones have fresh peppers)
The lean meat comes already cooked in the broth, no red in sight.
Meat is kinda rubbery like in chinese restaurants. I think they call it velveting? not sure.
They don't also offer Bun Bo Hué and Pho Ga

Green flags:
Broth is good. The broth is the most important. You want to see droplets of fat in it, if it's lean it's most likely shit.
The place kinda looks like shit, no decor.
The waiter doesn't know what the fuck you're saying unless you use numbers and point at the menu.
>>
>>7036898
know a viet friend
have his mom make pho

My parents grow peppers, herbs, and whatever veggies in our backyard so we use that. My mom doesn't use MSG when she makes pho either.
>>
>>7036829
Hoisin sauce is just epic on fresh vegetables/baby lettuce with coriander/mint and peanuts folded in rice paper.
>>
How is pho supposed to taste? It smelled and tasted like dog food and cilantro to me. For reference I got it in MA
>>
>>7038424
Like the salty piss of an elderly Vietnamese man.
>>
>>7038424
Roast beef, charred onion, anise, cassia, black pepper, cilantro

It's not for everyone
>>
I want to try authentic pho badly.

There are two small hole in the wall places in the ghetto part of the city. One seems to get a ton of good yelp reviews. A third is a more gentrified noodle house that is a little expensive and friends have told me its not authentic.

Before I walk in there gawking at some poorly contrived menu I can't read I would like to have an idea of what I want to order. Can anyone recommend a good really spicy pho dish with beef or chicken and veggies?
>>
>>7038456
Pho tai. Tendons and brisket are optional but recommended.

Put hoison sauce, sricacha, and samba in the little dipping dish on the side and dip each bite of meat to get spice level you want the eat that bite with some noodles and broth. Definitely go to the ghetto one with the best reviews but try the other one two soon.

If you like coffee get the Vietnamese coffee, it's good stuff.
>>
>>7038456
Pho in and of itself typically isn't spicy. If you don't mind trotters and maybe congealed pork blood get bun bo hue.
>>
>>7038466
>>7038456
If you're shy about rare beef and tendons get Pho ga (chicken pho)

Eat the same way
>>
>>7038468
This

The subtle flavor of the broth and noodles are supposed to star.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.