[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OATMEAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_1787.jpg (75 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1787.jpg
75 KB, 800x533
Let's get a thread about the best porridge.

>best additions
>steel cut or rolled (instant need not apply)
>overnight or hot

Here's mine:
>best additions
Cook in milk with vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted bananas, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, chia seeds, tbsp of coconut oil or butter, wa la
>steel cut or rolled
Steel cut for hot, rolled for overnight
>overnight or hot
They're both delicious
>>
Dates are a pretty nice addition
>>
If it's cold out, I like milk and a little brown sugar, maybe some apples if I have them.

Peanut butter or pumpkin makes oats incredibly filling.
>>
I'm a big fan of applesauce, honey, and cinnamon, but I'll chop up some apples if I have any.
>>
Cyclist here, training days can't start with anything else

Start milk on heat, when boiling add oats with flaxmeal. Put in a tablespoon of peanut butter and turn heat down a bit.
Fruits: Dates (deglet noor usually but medjool if I got a deal on them) , banana, peach, strawberries, and I fuckin' love blueberries, usually add 2 or 3 of the above that I have at the time
Add cinnamon and vanilla extract
Let it cook for a bit then break up bigger pieces of fruit with my spoon and add greek yogurt and mix evenly
>>
>>7036042
Hope you get squished by a truck, spandex wearing faggot
>>
File: 1421658714501.jpg (50 KB, 300x488) Image search: [Google]
1421658714501.jpg
50 KB, 300x488
>>7036048
Love you too buddy
>>
>>7035995
Never thought about adding applesauce, I'll give that a try sometime.

>>7036042
This guy knows.

God damn, pb or almond butter in oatmeal are so fucking good.
>>
>>7036042
>he scalds milk
>>
>>7036048
this
>>
>>7035286

I like toasting my oats and slivered almonds on a hot pan first, then putting them in the oven with milk.

you can add apples and cinnamon and other stuff if you like.
>>
Oats, some raisins, little bit of sugar, milk, done.
>>
File: 1432983099522.jpg (35 KB, 397x400) Image search: [Google]
1432983099522.jpg
35 KB, 397x400
>rolled oats
>water
>microwave 2 minutes
>stir
>microwave 2 minutes
>stir in fake parmesan cheese + garlic powder + chilli flakes
I've been eating that for over a year, never gets boring
>>
I like bananas and cinnamon, throw the bananas in while still cooking, they kind of dissolve and become a delicious gooey mess.
>>
>Toast oats first
>Cook
>Add peanut butter, raisins, and a pinch of salt toward the end.
>Delicious
Brown sugar is nice if I want something sweeter. I'll never use Nutella or maple syrup again, though
>>
Breast milk
>>
I actually enjoy eating my oats cold with milk and fruit
>>
>>7035305
My father always put dates in his oatmeal...

RIP Dad.
>>
>>7035286
>Cook in milk with vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted bananas, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, chia seeds, tbsp of coconut oil or butter, wa la
There's too much shit in there family. Same goes to the rest of you cu/ck/s, the oatmeal basically just ends up being filler and you don't actually end up tasting or appreciating the original, subtle flavor because it's overshadowed by the other ingredients. I'm not saying that dumping a ton of stuff into your oatmeal isn't delicious, I'm saying that it's not oatmeal at that point lads. It's like adding chili to your beans. Keep it simple guys
>>
>>7036048
My sentiments exactly
>>
File: 1001029_030000262917_A_400.jpg (76 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1001029_030000262917_A_400.jpg
76 KB, 400x400
Literally everything else is invalid.
>>steel cut or rolled (instant need not apply)
get fucked nigger, you're stupid and have bad taste.
>>
>>7035286
>(instant need not apply)
>oatmeal elitism

Okay, NOW I've seen everything.
>>
>>7038159
that was my favorite breakfast food when I was a kid, thank you for reminding me it existed
>>
At night, I use quick oats and put it in a bowl with some milk. Cover it and put it in the fridge. The oats soak the milk up. I then wake up and put whatever I like on top of the oats. So far I've done:

- honey
- Brown sugar
- Caramelised banana
- and other fruits
>>
>>7038187
They still make it son, you can go to the store and get it right now.
>>
>>7038136
>like adding chili to your beans

oh here we go

I don't add them to the point of overpowering the other flavors. All chia seeds do is literally make the oatmeal thicker and give extra fiber. Coconut oil/butter for richness, Greek yogurt for creaminess and MILD tartness, roasted bananas and brown sugar to sweeten the oats, and cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to complement the warmth of the bananas.

In the end I really don't add much

Also chili without beans is just a watery meat soup you pleb
>>
i like cooking rolled oats in not much water with no stirring and a lid to get perf cakelike texture - i basically pour oats untill they pile up over the water as my measure - ground flax is mandatory, random other grains could take or leave. - i like salt and butter and sometimes egg and salsa on em.

ive never met another person who cooks oats like this other than gramps who taught me - im from canada
>>
>>7038433
into boiling water
34 get
>>
File: DSC_0088.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0088.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Seen peanut butter a good few times but I don't use it
Whole dry roasted peanuts, the MSG is great
I make a big batch of steel cut to last the week
>>
File: PANSRMS183-2.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
PANSRMS183-2.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>put steel cut oats in rice cooker before i sleep
>mix in cinnamon and sugar
>put the timer to cook 30 mins before I wake up
>wake up to freshly cooked outs
>add in some sliced banana and flax seeds
>enjoy breakfast
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.