[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like being called 'chef', /ck/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 14464258859011.jpg (36 KB, 279x357) Image search: [Google]
14464258859011.jpg
36 KB, 279x357
Do you like being called 'chef', /ck/?
>>
No. I fucking hate Food Network for exactly this reason
>Okay chefs! (none of them has ever even worked in a restaurant)
>Junior edition of whatever stupid shit is on: "Alright junior chefs!"

It's like nobody ever fucking told them the difference between cook and chef. Some dumbass 14 year old kid or a stupid bitch who has never cooked outside of her own kitchen has never ran a section of a professional kitchen

That's like calling the mayor president because LOL SAME THING RITE
>>
>>7033790
That's a damned 'amen!', mate.
Got intro'd to a 'Juice Chef' once.
Blew my fuckin mind.
>>
>>7033822
Juice Chef?
>>
>>7033827
Stall at an outdoor. Juiced to order. I went to ask where he got his moringa and , 'Hi! I'm Chef Douchery! Want a sample of my (kale kale pomegranate kale trendy) creation?' *sigh*
>>
no

my job title is commis chef but it makes me feel very uncomfortable when someone at work calls me chef
>>
>>7033766
no. I'm a cook not a chef. Our kitchen doesn't even have a chef. We have a lead cook, but that's all
>>
>>7033882
Yes!
>>
NO CHEF, I HAVE NOT EARNED THE TITLE CHEF
>>
>>7033766

Comes with the territory of my educational credentials I suppose, I make my subordinates call me by my name, more comfy atmosphere.
>>
>>7033766
No it wouldn't be true
>>
I'm a sous, and it made me uncomfortable for a long time. Also I would tell people I "work in kitchens" So I didn't have to explain what a sous was. Now I just tell people im a chef. Its more to the point and easier to explain that yes I'm a chef, just not the executive chef.

Never phases boss when staff calls me chef.
>>
I don't like being called a fucking donkey, though.
>>
I was a cook before food network gayed everything up
>>
No, I haven't earned that title yet
My dad was a chef for seventeen years, so I have a high opinion of the position and the work that goes into earning and maintaining it
I hate when friends/family say I'm a chef even though I'm just a line cook, it's cringy
>>
I spent close to a year as a chef, running a shit show, and nearly turning it around (downhill battle as fuck), but fuck no, I never refer to myself as a chef.

After years in the industry I kindly explain to people what I do, what a chef does, and how nobody is making money and we choose the jobs that make our lives the least shitty.

But yeah, I can cook and know how a kitchen works.
>>
It was kinda nice in my old kitchen, but we discarded it pretty soon when someone said hey chef and everyone turned round
>>
When I used to work as a line cook we used to call the chef "chef" during cooking hours and give the "yes chef" when he'd ask for something. After the restuarant was closed and we were just cooking we'd call him by his name though. He never told me to call him that but the sous and the other cooks would just always call him chef so that's what I did when I started and just followed it. Plus his name was 3 syllables and chef is 1 so it was faster to say in a rush.
>>
>>7038146
Oh yeah nobody else called each other chef. Chef just called everyone else by their name and everyone else called each other by name too.
>>
>>7033790
I support your rage.

I've worked in the industry for 15 years and to me the chef will always be the boss of the kitchen and there is only ever one
>>
I cook at home and cook dinner parties for friends. I like to have them call me chef because I'm the boss in the kitchen. All you professional kitchen rats are just jealous because you work like bitches in 120 degree heat for 16 hours a day and only the head honcho gets to be called chef but you still support the system ignoring that like in the army you're just lowly grunts who'll be burned out completely in a couple of years time and you'll have nothing to show for it whereas I'm already rich because I have a normal job and can pretend to be Eric Ripert in my ample leisure time.
>>
>>7038165
>I'm a stupid faggot
agreed
Comparing it to the army is quite fair though. In a traditionally run kitchen you are a complete slave to the whims of your chef. Grats on your better job desu. I'm am adrenaline junkie and find normal people jobs too boring.
>>
>>7038176
>>7038165
>I'm a stupid faggot
agreed
Comparing it to the army is quite fair though. In a traditionally run kitchen you are a complete slave to the whims of your chef. Grats on your better job desu. I'm am adrenaline junkie and find normal people jobs too boring, CHEF!
>There, fix'd that for you.
>>
File: 1390333038197.jpg (107 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1390333038197.jpg
107 KB, 625x626
>>7038165
>>
>>7038181
>There, fix'd that for you.
thank you friend

also i didn't mean to type desu, I'm having a stroke or something
>>
>>7033766
>>
>>7038145
mid kek
>>
I avoided this thread because I thought I wouldn't like the replies.
Thanks for proving me wrong, /ck/.

I love the nicknames, but the "chef" shit can go fuck itself. The one kitchen I worked in where I was told to call the leader "chef" was one of the most ... contrived kitchens that I've ever worked in.
Fucking ego-stroking bullshit title for narcissist hacks. Just because I installed my new toilet doesn't men that I call myself "Plumber Anon".
>>
I call my self chef while slapping my self on my head mounted mirror when I cook.
>>
>>7033766
I have asked my employees not to... some come from restaurants where it was beaten into them relentlessly. I didn't go to school for this, and I have no real professional designation (manager? executive cook? Vice president? Most of what I do is book-keeping, with the occasional check/sub, and the rare shift on the line/in prep when it's understaffed). It's either boss, my name, or sir if they're in trouble.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.