[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help with Oatmeal Bake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Ok, so I used to make Oatmeal Bake every morning for breakfast, because I hate oatmeal and it's a way to eat it for me.

I read about how soaking oats overnight makes them better for you.

I tried it today, but the inside of the bake wouldn't bake at all. I put it back in the oven after it should have been done, total of 1 hour baking for a really thin, small piece and the inside was still soft and soggy.

So my question is, should I stop the soaking or is there some trick to baking that I don't know, which will give me a perfect bake-through.

Other ingridients I put in are a teaspoon of Rapeseed oil and one egg along with some flavor, a banana or apple.
>>
This thread makes no sense. Why are you eating oatmeal every day if you hate oatmeal? Why would it be "better for you" to hydrate oats, it's just fucking water. Why are you surprised that soaking oats in water for hours makes them soggy?
>>
>>7514809
>Why are you eating oatmeal every day if you hate oatmeal?
Because it's delicious when baked and disgusting when not.
>Why would it be "better for you" to hydrate oats, it's just fucking water.
>easier to digest
>increases proportion of resistant starch

>Why are you surprised that soaking oats in water for hours makes them soggy?
I'm not, I'm wondering if it's even possible to bake them like this and get a good consistency.
>>
Post a recipe, looks interesting.

Also maybe try an even shallower dish or higher heat?
>>
>>7514812
>easier to digest
>increases proportion of resistant starch
So by making more of the starch impossible to digest you're making it easier to digest, now I get it.

>I'm not, I'm wondering if it's even possible to bake them like this and get a good consistency.
You have to get rid of the water again, which is not going to happen in places where the water cannot evaporate easily, since it won't reach boiling point in an oven. So what you'd have to do is spread them out thinly first, bake to dry out, then compose your dish. Alternatively, you can toast them in a pan
>>
So it worked fine until you started soaking your oatmeal? I'm curious to try this, it sounds like a pretty good way to eat oatmeal. I'm assuming the texture is more interesting than just boiled oatmeal.
>>
>>7514822
>You have to get rid of the water again, which is not going to happen in places where the water cannot evaporate easily, since it won't reach boiling point in an oven. So what you'd have to do is spread them out thinly first, bake to dry out, then compose your dish. Alternatively, you can toast them in a pan
At that point I might as well just eat it without soaking.
>>7514823
>>7514819
Well it's really versatile and can taste however want. The very basic recipe I usually have is

>50-100g Rolled Oats
>1 egg (can work with 2, but 1 gives a better consistency)
>50-100ml liquid (depends on amount of oats)

Bake in pre-heated oven at 200c-250c for 20-30 minutes or until desired consistency.

Here are a few really basic recipes I rotate between.

Banitza Oats
>100g Oats
>1 Egg
>20g Balkan Cheese
>2 Teaspoons fat
>80g-100g Yogurt

Banana Bake
>50g Rolled Oats
>1 Medium Banana
>Pinch of salt
>Pinch of cinnamon
>1 Egg
>50ml milk

>Basic Savory Bake
>100g Rolled Oats
>1 Egg
>100ml water
>2 Teaspoons oil
>pinch of salt
>1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
>favorite cheese on top
>>
>>7514839
>At that point I might as well just eat it without soaking.
Well I'm not the one who thought it would be a good idea to soak something in water that's supposed to be baked crunchy. That makes about as much fucking sense as installing a stovetop inside a freezer
>>
>>7514857
Well thank you for the advise anyway. I guess I have to give up the memes and just enjoy my oats.
>>
>>7514839

Rolled oats are the problem, anon. Your oats are already par-cooked with steam. You shouldn't be soaking rolled oats or they'll get gummy and disgusting. Use steel-cut oats that haven't been steamed.

Soak those overnight in salty water, and then drain - let dry, and then toast them in a pan. Proceed to bake.
>>
>>7514917
Thank's for the info, but that sounds like too much to do every single morning before classes, so I guess I'll just make the old bake like I used to.
>>
>>7514809
>Why would it be "better for you" to hydrate oats, it's just fucking water.
Retard?
Soaking them makes them more easily digestable by your organism. Also water is good for you.
>>
>>7514933
>Retard?
Wow, rude.
>>
>>7514936
You're right. Sorry m8
>>
>>7514791
So it's a flapjack?
>>
>>7514958
>No sugar
>No syrup
>Oil with less saturated fat than what butter has

Otherwise yeah.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.