[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to bulk up my grandma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: nopal_licuado_cactus_smoothie2.png (753 KB, 587x846) Image search: [Google]
nopal_licuado_cactus_smoothie2.png
753 KB, 587x846
Hey ilu /ck/, looking for some advice or help in the right direction.

I'm taking care of my grandma and she's had a large loss of appetite. Been to doctors over it and none of her medication is the cause, she's really on the bare minimum. Her daily diet is oatmeal and some sweet bread or toast in the morning, maybe half one of those meals on wheels for lunch, and an ensure in the evening. Before (as much as 6 months ago) I was able to at least get her to eat a small portion of a homemade dinner and she'd eat almost the whole meals on wheels.

Sometimes during the day if not meals on wheels I can get her to eat some eggs. Sometimes some softer meats. She says she has no taste for food and no hunger. Otherwise her health is doing good and she's awake for the day.

After talking with the doctor we decided to just end meals on wheels and during the day making her a yogurt/protein smoothie with fruit and veggies.

But I'm trying to think of other similar meals. Something low in salts and sugar, high in protein, calories, and nutrients while not too high in volume, something that could encourage appetite and taste, not tough to chew, money being no issue.

Any advice appreciated. Pic related it's a nopales/cucumber/avocado smoothie and I've made it for her before and she liked it fine.
>>
>>7506416
This might be more /fit/'s department.
Nuts are good too. Maybe something like unsweetened peanut butter.
>>
File: banana_almond_flax_smoothie6..jpg (153 KB, 575x866) Image search: [Google]
banana_almond_flax_smoothie6..jpg
153 KB, 575x866
>>7506428
I thought that too but /fit/ focuses more on cutting and less on bulking. When they do talk of bulking it's hardly healthy bulking and all I can imagine getting from them is whey protein. Which isn't horrible since I do plan to use some of that.

Oh and yeah peanut butter. Def gotta get that.

My grocery list is basically
>frozen berries, mangos, fruit
>yogurt, high fat/cal kind since she certainly isn't dieting
>cottage cheese
>jellos, apples sauce, fruit cups
>fresh veggies since those weirdly are cheaper than frozen ones at my store
>avocado
>oranges/lemon for that vit c and immune system meme
>honey, so much honey
>peanut butter, almond butter, nuts, especially pecans
>coconut water and aloe vera water
>flax seed and whey protein

But that's all smoothie stuff. I just wonder if there's something different than smoothies for variety. Like she mashed potatoes.
>>
>>7506416
give her a spliff
>>
>>7506416
Medical marijuana
>>
>>7506416
sounds like she is dieing bro the same thing happened to my grandfather:(
>>
Wish I could contribute something meaningful to this conversation, OP, but I'm struggling with the same thing with my father, and I'm at a loss myself. Here's hoping you get better advice than the shitposters you've gotten currently.
>>
>>7506416
good lad for looking after granny. get a bunch of peanut butter mixed in with her oatmeal and slice a banana up in it. tastes really good and adds a shitload of calories to it without it feeling like you're eating much more.
>>
Good on you. Peanut butter, Cream, and butter are your friends for loading things up with raw calories. Going from 2% to straight up cream in the oatmeal will help.

Butter's pretty ridiculous, it's 45 calories per teaspoon or something. Butter the toast in the morning, when it melts, add some more. What kind of sweet breads is she keen on?

You could bang together some mashed sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar. I'd skip the marshmallows since you said volume's a concern.
>>
>>7506416
Op you're not a fag
Anyways I suggest breaking up food into small, appetising portions, something styled like meatballs or small vegetable patties. In this way it's easy to eat a bigger quantity of food. Also maybe try to spread the eating over the course of the day, so not two big meals, but rather small snacks every two or three hours.
Good luck
>>
The smoothies you are making are already a great place to sneak in some cream, sugar, avocados, etc to add extra calories. If you can convince her to have a smoothie with a little snack of solid food, even better.

Not exactly food-related, but consider the environment while she's eating, too. If she is eating with other people, she is more likely to eat more. See if there are programs in your area for seniors, like lunch and a movie sort of deals, and try to get her interested. Doing some light physical activity right before food can help, too. A lot of appetite loss in older folks is due to a lack of activity and a lack of social time- just make her happy!
>>
Isn't that kind of normal for old people? My grandma is almost 90 and she's been thin as a toothpick for as long as I can remember.

My other grandma is about 85, she's not as thin but her portions are always fucking tiny.
>>
squats, oats, fisherman's friends and wurthers originals.
>>
>>7507964
>>7507996
Ty

>>7508041
Good idea. I hadn't thought of cream. I'll start with half and half and build it. Also adding sweet potatoes.

She likes mexican sweet breads. Conchas, semeti, empanadas, that kinda stuff. I go buy them for her often enough.

>>7508105
She's always been pretty anti social. She only likes people from her church or blood family. Otherwise just about hates anyone else. A lot of people in the family will take her out to eat on the weekends so she eats more then. Sometimes, about once weekly, someone from her church will bring by a meal about once a week or less but that's only one meal. Still it helps.

I try to get her more active but it's hard when she lacks energy from no eating.

>>7508114
Yeah it's normal to be thin in older age. But not to eat nothing at all. I get the whole if she wants to starve and die let her kinda approach but she's hardly suicidal yet. When she dies I want her to be as comfortable and happy as possible. Not starving to death malnutrition.

Thanks for all the advice so far /ck. Today She ate some corn salad and a mango smoothie and some easter bread. Tomorrow out with easter she'll probably eat more.
>>
Cheeseburger smoothie for breakfast
Pizza smoothie for lunch
Steak smoothie for dinner
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (237 KB, 2240x1488) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
237 KB, 2240x1488
>>7509120
I should also note that I bake a lot. Like a damn lot. So often besides mexican sweet breads she eats the breads and cakes I've made for others. I'd make her her own whole cake too but she'd never eat that much. Banana breads, fresh bread in general, cookies, cakes, etc. Her favorite is just semita. I make those kind of sweet breads sometimes but more often since it's just her that enjoys them so much it's easier to just go buy her a couple.
>>
>>7509126
>cheeseburger for breakfast
'murica
>>
>>7506416
>>7507964
I hate to be the one to tell you guys this, but loss of taste and appetite is a symptom of early alzheimer's

Sorry
>>
I keep trying to convince my parents to give Grandma (94) some Serious Mass to slip some more calories into her, but they won't go for it. She's in total dementia and getting thinner, I'm real worried about her. Going to sleep and not waking up is one thing, but wasting away is just terrible.
>>
>>7507924
>>7507940

I have to second this. If she can't smoke get her a vaporizer if she can't do that then make her some potent edibles.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.