[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Confidence in cooking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1313599464226.jpg (52 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
1313599464226.jpg
52 KB, 515x515
Have you guys ever felt really down about yourself after failing in the kitchen?

I made the mistake of not checking doneness on some chicken thighs, and after plating and cutting into it the sheer horror of seeing pink kind of killed me a little bit on the inside. Such a rookie mistake.

I can fix it tomorrow, but I'm kind of feeling down on myself.

You guys ever mess up like that?
>>
no, I never mess up that badly.
ever.
>>
No, you can always try again, and the next time you'll do better than you did before.
>>
>>7494186
I know that feel bruh

>make dinner for someone
>make a minor mistake
>feel like huge piece of shit
>hate myself for the rest of the night
>"Why does it bother you so much anon lol we'll just order pizza!"

I don't want pizza, I wanted to make food for my friends and I fucked it up.

The worst part is that cooking is literally the only skill I have so when I fuck up I just feel bottom of the barrel worthless.
>>
I undercook shit a lot. Haven't died yet so it's chill
>>
>>7494300
People always enjoy what I cook, mostly because it's actually not the usual shit off the shelf but I always feel underwhelmed myself.

I have a stage coming up soon to see if Im worthy of working at a fancy joint and I just have to put it out of my mind so I don't flip out. I hate to even think about it
>>
>>7494186
It was at that moment that you realized Jack was a part of you, forever corrupting your core.
>>
>>7494186
Not really. You're going to mess a meal up every once in a while. If you feel down about making mistakes or having an error due to incomplete knowledge you're just going to feel down your whole life.

What does get me is when I screw up a meal and my friends pretend it is good. I just want someone else to agree it is garbage so we can all throw the junk in the trash where it belongs and order delivery or something.
>>
I've taken a chemistry course or two in my time, and I can assure you, chemical reactions like the ones found in cooking, when done with nothing more than the human senses to guide them, (why aren't you using a meat thermometer?) are extremely easy to mess up.

Now go buy a meat thermometer.
>>
>>7494509
I stuck a meat thermometer up my ass once to see how accurate they are; it was off by 10 degrees. registered ~106f, so basically the producers of meat thermometers are trying to kill you.
>>
>>7494511
Wtf
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 750x1334
i went to outback steakhouse and got a porterhouse rare. it wasnt seared properly and the fat wasnt rendered. i stared at it for a minute thinking "i could have cooked this better..."

the waitress was also a feminist cunt trying to belittle me in front of my date, but that's not what this thread is about
>>
>>7494867
What did she do? Did you tip?
>>
>>7494865
What didn't you understand lad?
>>
Tried to make black bean burgers from scratch the other night, looked up a bunch of different recipes, read reviews to see what tweaks people made to them, etc.

I was CONFIDENT, right up to the moment i took them out of the pan. But when I bit into them, holy shit. They were so bad. And I have no idea what I did wrong.

Definitely threw me into a funk the whole night, and I dunno if I even wanna try making them again.
>>
Tried to make pancakes with eggs and milk but no flour.

I just wondered what the hell I was thinking.
>>
>>7494921
How were they bad? Texture, taste, both?
>>
>>7494186
No, because failure in the kitchen entails a consolation prize of take out.
>>
>>7494928
Texture. The seasonings were on point, but the texture was like, dry, crumbly, too bready. I thought it was because I used too many bread crumbs, so I tried to salvage them by halving the mixture, adding more beans (and more bean juice), adding another egg, and mixing them, but they were still too crumbly and bready, even though they were so moist going into the pan that they were sticking to my hands.
>>
I've been experimenting a ton in college and about half the stuff I tried from scratch without knowing a recipe I fucked up severely

-tried to make curry singapore noodles, cooked them in sesame oil, added the noodles too late, noodles tasted like shit, meat was tough too, didn't really have time to marinate
-bought some japanese canned fish and sweet red beans, fried em up and added them on top of noodles, WAY too sweet and just overwhelming in flavor and salt.
>>
>>7494948
added the fish on top of a flavored dry ramen noodle thing btw, so that's why the flavor was so overwhelming
>>
>>7494459
>I have a stage coming up soon

practice your basic cuts
>block off
>battonet and dice
>julienne and brunoise
>tourne
>paysanne
>fermiere

know how to break down a chicken
know how to break down a beef primal (rib primal, loin, etc.)
know how to use all your tools and maintain them properly
wash your hands, bone up on your food safey, time/temp, etc.

TASTE EVERYTHING YOU MAKE

E V E R Y T H I N G

i cannot stress this enough. if you're making food, you better fucking taste it and make sure it's right. if you don't know, ask somebody who does. be inquisitive, get involved and do good work.

remember, you're not escoffier. good fundamentals, general knowledge and passion for food and hospitality is what they're looking for.

also grooming. don't go in all scrubby. shave and a haircut will put you ahead of joe scruffyneck. first impression counts for a lot.
>>
File: 1435282399209.jpg (20 KB, 469x354) Image search: [Google]
1435282399209.jpg
20 KB, 469x354
>make assumption about how something will cook
>discover that assumption is incorrect
>oh gawd, why did I ever try something without knowing the conclusion beforehand?
>>
>>7494940
>americans are literally brought up to expect a reward even when they fail
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.