[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife Sharpening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Hey /ck/, if I buy a knife sharpener, is there any point in buying expensive knives? Surely I could just sharpen the blade into infinity and it'd be just as good as any of those super expensive ones you see in the shops?
>>
>>7479082
There's little point in buying expensive knives in the first place, especially if you're an amateur home cook. Get a victorinox fibrox and your sharpener and call it good for the next few years.
>>
>>7479082
cheaper crappier knives dont take very fine edges, and then less sharp blunter edges they do take dont last as long.

There is a point of diminishing returns once you hit a certain point, but a poor quality knife vs a reasonable high quality knife there is a world of difference.

You want your edge retention to be good, so that way you can rehone your blades edge with a steel quickly. You wont need to actually take the time to resharpen it.

And jesus christ, dont buy a shitty sharpener like that. You will never get a real edge on them.
>>
bought a wusthof ikon 8 inch today and a 300/1000/3000 grit stone.

too bad I work pastry full time and get to cut apples with it every now and then.

fuck.
>>
File: 1420944479166.jpg (175 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1420944479166.jpg
175 KB, 1600x1200
Other way around— There's no point in using expensive knives in a sharpener, since the sharpener will shred them into useless scrap.
>>
Cheap knives get sharpeners
Good knives get a wet stone

However
When it comes to paring knives just buy new ones when the old ones lose their catch. Of all knives paring knives always come wicked sharp and are pretty cheap. Get a decent 8", don't worry about any other knife. If you keep it sharp enough you won't need anything but that and a decent paring knife.
>>
>>7479117

nigga whyd you run a serrated bread knife through a sharpener
>>
>>7479082
well you definitely don't wanna be the guy with a $500 knife reheating McDicks leftovers
>>
>>7479082
>is there any point in buying expensive knives?
Sure. They require sharpening less often.

>and it'd be just as good as any of those super expensive ones
Not really. A sharpener like in your OP photo is sort of like "Guaranteed mediocrity". It's fast and idiot-proof but it doesn't do a very good job. You can get a much better edge with a couple minutes (literally), and a stone.

But what you propose is certainly possible; it's the standard for low-end restaurants all over the country.
>>
>>7479098
Ouch. Use it for home cooking instead?
>>
File: palm.jpg (2 KB, 136x91) Image search: [Google]
palm.jpg
2 KB, 136x91
>>7479123
>wet stone
How do you seriously expect people to take your advice when you don't even know the basics?
>>
those pull-thru knife sharpeners don't work super great and they take a lot of metal off the knife

also, you won't be able to use it forever on a knife. once you've taken off a certain amount of metal, the edge will be too thick to fit all the way into the whetstone 'V' shape and you won't be able to sharpen it any more.

those things are fine for $10 knives but I wouldn't use it on anything more expensive
>>
>>7479082
Buy a whetstone
>>
>>7480441
>999/1000 people are ruining their knives this way

Lol, more like 20 out of 1000. It's not hard to keep a consistent angle on a stone anon.
>>
File: Professional_Hero_lg.jpg (25 KB, 454x304) Image search: [Google]
Professional_Hero_lg.jpg
25 KB, 454x304
don't sharpen your own knives unless you buy a sharpening aparatus that lets you set the angle for the edge.

you know when you see people running a blade across a whetstone by hand? 999/1000 people are ruining their knives this way. it's not hard to get it sharp, but it's also very easy to ruin the edge by putting a retarded inconsistent angle on it. when this happens, rather than just needing to hone the edge every few uses, you'll have to constantly sharpen it on the stone which will fuck it up even more.

pic related. do NOT attempt to use a whetstone to sharpen your knife unless you have something like this. you WILL fuck your knife up.
>>
>>7480454

this guy is fucking his knives up. don't listen.
>>
>>7480455

Jesus Christ, anon. It's nowhere near as difficult as you make it out to be.
>>
>>7480463

enjoy your fucked up knives
>>
>>7480469

I'll enjoy my *sharp* knives, thank you very much.

I hope you enjoy your shitposting.
>>
File: wire_edge.jpg (7 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
wire_edge.jpg
7 KB, 228x221
>>7480455
Guided systems don't produce a constant angle on blades with curved edges mate.
I always recommend newbies convex their blades, it's the easiest sharpening method to learn and produces an extremely keen edge.
>>
>>7480488

Sharp, maybe, but still fucked up I guarantee it.

I know you like to think you're some sort of knife guru, but you're an idiot.

Ignore my advice at your own peril.
>>
>>7480494

maybe if you have the world's shittiest system that is made for straight edge blades (?)

the one I posted will put a perfect edge on any knife.
>>
>>7480504

jesus christ anon stfu
>>
>>7480531
But he really wants to be right about this. Just give him this one. This is his mother, btw.
>>
>>7480413
I would have put whetstone but when I do that idiots think I can't spell and then nobody takes my advice.
>can't please everyone
>>
>>7480569
I mean..... you do have to soak the stone, so...
>>
>>7480455
I'm comfortable risking the loss of my $35 stamped knife.
>>
>>7480488
>>7480463
Found the guy who's lying to himself
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.