[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad taste thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Blonde Eww.jpg (96 KB, 850x982) Image search: [Google]
Blonde Eww.jpg
96 KB, 850x982
How can I get use to the taste of raw onion? I'm trying to get rid of my aversion of certain foods but I just can't stand onion. No matter how hard I try, raw onion always makes me gag. What do?
>>
Slice it up and have it in a sandwich with sardines.
>>
>>7474192
Keep eating it. You'll either get used to it, or you won't.
>>
File: js.jpg (384 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
js.jpg
384 KB, 600x450
>Exposure, plain and simple. Scientists tell us that aversions fade away when we eat moderate doses of the hated foods at moderate intervals, especially if the food is complex and new to us. (Don't try this with allergies, but don't cheat either: few of us have genuine food allergies.) Exposure works by overcoming our innate neophobia, the omnivore's fear of new foods that balances the biological urge to explore for them. Did you know that babies who are breast-fed will later have less trouble with novel foods than those who are given formula? The variety of flavors that make their way into breast milk from the mother's diet prepares the infant for the culinary surprises that lie ahead. Most parents give up trying novel foods on their weanlings after two or three attempts and then complain to the pediatrician; this may be the most common cause of fussy eaters and finicky adults--of omnivores manqués. Most babies will accept nearly anything after eight or ten tries.
>>
try eating scallions and work your way up
>>
I hated raw onion as a kid but now I love it

Can't have a burger or chili dog without it
>>
>>7474192
I only hate raw red onions, yellow and white are ok with me, but the red ones are the worst thing
>>
I got over it gradually from eating cooked to death onions, then less-cooked onions, and now small quantities of raw.
>>
>>7474211
Are you a bot? Why this picture every time?
>>
>>7474571
That guy posts constantly in pretty much all threads on /ck/
>>
>>7474215
Scallions gross me out more than other onions. I have a bad memory of my brother eating a plate of just green onions before I had to go to church for a photoshoot, and I associate them with fat women eating several-hundred-calorie salads. And Chi-Chi's hepatitis.
>>
>>7474582
The problem with my brother eating the onions is that he stank the whole time and the photographer looked like one of the faces in Perfect Dark.
>>
Slice them really thin
>>
My favorite lunch is two bratwurst or similar sausage with sauerkraut, raw yellow onion and dijon mustard.

You should try it sometime
>>
Tripe

So fucking disgusting
>>
>>7474192
try diced onion. it's better that's how I did it
>>
>>7475334
>taste
You got it easy man
the consistency is what kills me
>>
Grow up?

I always picked them out of my food because I was a picky little kid, but now I love that shit.
>>
>>7475885
I feel diced onion isn't as strong as whole onion. that's why I suggested it.
>>
>>7476080
That's lame advice. "Grow up"
>>
>>7474192
start with cooked onion. who the fuck doesnt like sauteed onions? delicious on literally everything.
>>
>>7474572

Jeffrey Steingarten posts on /ck/?

Neat.
>>
>>7474192
scallions is a good start. Blend them with cottage cheese and enjoy on top of a baked potato or as a chip dip.

Realize that onions have a season, and the rest of the year they are aged in cool dry conditions so they can be served year round. A strong onion is simply strong. Try slicing them utterly paper thin, first of all, and you can even soak them in a bowl of ice water to remove some of the intense juices and crisp them up again. Red onions are especially good pickled quickly, and those they are supposed to be sweet, they are quite strong lately where I shop. So, try some lime, balsamic, or apple cider vinegar and water for about 15 minutes.

Vidalias and copycats like walla walla, are indeed sweet, but they also can be aged, and can do with some rinsing. To me, onions add a necessary flavor to salads, subs, and they are skippable in other places. If it's too strong, off my burger they go. If they're not, I adore them.
>>
>>7474192
If you've eaten a food many, many times and still don't like it, you just don't like it. You are open minded to the point of trying to like it, but you still don't like it. This is ok. You're your own person, and can like or dislike whatever foods you want.
>>
File: 1454997023159.png (841 KB, 1102x1600) Image search: [Google]
1454997023159.png
841 KB, 1102x1600
mmm, I love onions. I could eat a raw onion sandwich but I feel the same way you do about onions, except with raw tomato.

No clue why as I love cooked tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, hell I even like pico de gallo so long as the lime/cilantro/onion mask the tomatoes. Feels bad...
>>
>>7474192
Accept you don't like the damn food and stop fucking eating it. You don't have to eat EVERYTHING and like it.
>>
>>7474192
I had raw onions for the first time about a year ago in a salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. Since then, I can eat raw onions on many other foods now. I used to hate them so much, but there's something about the way they combine with the other flavors that really brings everything together in a way it never did without them.

So my advice is to start with a salad, I guess.
>>
>>7480446

>I had raw onions for the first time last year

Anon how young are you
>>
>>7474192
Conditioned taste aversion occurs when an animal associates the taste of a certain food with symptoms caused by a toxic, spoiled, or poisonous substance. Generally, taste aversion is developed after ingestion of food that causes nausea, sickness, or vomiting.
Conditioned taste aversion sometimes occurs when sickness was merely coincidental and not related to the substance that caused the sickness. For example, a person who becomes very sick after consuming vodka-and-orange-juice cocktails may then become averse to the taste of orange juice, even though the sickness was caused by the over-consumption of alcohol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_aversion
>>
>>7480532
Good advice.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.