[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else think in the last 10 years Papa Johns went really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: 348s.jpg (36 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
348s.jpg
36 KB, 348x348
Does anyone else think in the last 10 years Papa Johns went really downhill in quality?

They advertise "better ingredients" but it tastes like the ingredients are much worse than what they were 10 years ago.

Now they're the only pizza I think is legit bad
>>
>>7470378
They were never that good to begin with.
>>
>>7470378
They've gotten slightly worse, probably to keep prices from going up too much. The one thats gone to utter shit is Pizza Hut. A long time ago when they still had sit down restaurants with servers they were the best chain pizza. It's unreal how much the quality has gone down in the last decade or so. Little Caesars was never great but it's OK and has the best prices. I give them credit for keeping the prices the same for all these years and using good sauce and cheese. Dominos somehow managed to greatly improve their quality without significantly increasing prices. They revamped everything a few years ago and had a big ad campaign. It went from being terrible to being pretty decent. It's my first choice these days.
>>
>>7470378
I used to work for Papa John's in the late 80s first as a pizza maker then supervisor into owning my own franchise. Back in the 90s and early 2000s dough and sauce was made in house with their recipe and stock was bought locally and fresh. When they grew logistically it was impossible and they started delivering sauce and frozen dough and quality of toppings went down.

It's another minimum wage job in the end and the drop in quality caused me to close my store in 2007.
>>
Domino's is the solution.
>>
>>7470421
Yea I remember the first Papa John's opened here in the early to mid 90's, it was sort of a huge deal. I remember it being really fresh and flavorful, a clear step above other places. I'm not exactly sure when it started to decline but every now and then I'll get some, it still has the same flavor on a basic level but it just isn't quite how it used to be. It doesn't taste as fresh. I don't know how to explain it other than the frozen White Castle sliders vs the ones from the actual restaurant. The frozen microwave ones are basically the same taste but it just isn't up to par with the fresh ones. Thats how I'd describe modern Papa John's. Still pretty good but it ain't what it was.
>>
>>7470421
>>7470435
I remember as a kid/young teen Papa Johns destroying dominos and pizza hut in the quality department, they even beat a lot of family pizzerias.

How I can say it's worse than a decent frozen pizza.
>>
That's because John Schnatter went full greedy conservicuck.

Cheaper ingredients, worse pizza, keep giving me money so I can build me another moat, Papa Johns.
>>
>>7470467
Yeah, my friend actually delivered a non papa johns pizza to him.

Apparently he slapped her ass and gave her $50 as a tip.

I'm surprised she didn't try to sue for harassment but I think she accepted she'd likely get screwed with endless debt.
>>
Look for local places, they will usually have the best pizza, if not there is always pizza hut for passable pizza.
>>
>>7470522
I have like 20 places that deliver to me and they all suck.

The only place that has a good pizza is this Italian restaurant, they have a service where they outsource delivery but it's like $7 for delivery.
>>
>>7470478
KY, bro?
>>
well, considering papa johns has always been utter shit made with utter shit ingredients, my guess is that your tastebuds graduated from that of a child

this is not up for debate
>>
>chain pizzerias
>not places run by hardworking Greek/Morrocan/Kazbekistani immigrants that have higher standards, better recipes, and help your local economy.

Dropped.
>>
>>7470643
Yeah, he probably had some tucked away in case she got turned on by the buttslap.
>>
Never heard of papa Johns till last week. One just opened near me on doncaster UK :)
>>
Is there a reason why Papa Johns and Pizza Hut are selling cookies, brookies and brownies?
>>
>>7471681
Profit.
>>
>>7471687
Which chain has the best ones? For some odd reason, the cookies taste the same
>>
>>7470696
>kazbekistani
>>
>>7471695
No idea. I'd imagine they all taste pretty similar since they're all the same mass-produced garbage.
>>
>>74705>>7470696
My shitty flyover town only has Domino's and Luigi's. Our pizza hut closed down years ago
>>
One of the things I'll never understand is what the fuck is up with the cookies or brownies? Who eats that after pizza?
>>
>>7470378
Papa John's was never particularly good even by chain pizza standards.
>>
>>7470421

I used to work at PJs in the mid 90s. The dough came off a truck and the sauce was canned crushed tomatoes and a spice packet. But it was still pretty darn tasty. I ate one hell of a lot of it.

It's just not what it once was.
>>
>>7472155

If you mean by that easily better than dominos and PH, then yeah you're right. Today I wouldn't call it better than Dominos, but it still beats PH because PH is literal garbage in a box.

I miss the 80s when Pizza Inn and PH and Mazzios and Godfathers and LC were all great.
>>
>>7470409
this is pretty accurate
>>
>>7470530

7 dollars for a delivery? you must live in a poor area where they do not tip.
>>
>>7472189
That's about average, if not a bit low for most of those 3rd party delivery services.
>>
The local papa johns has really gone downhill. Between:

>Burnt food
>Grease dripping so bad that it leaked to the box below it.
>Cheaper tasting ingredients.
>More stingy about toppings.

My last order was so bad I actually sent a complaint in, which I normally do not do. Started ordering from local pizza places on the rare occasion I order pizza.
>>
>>7470409
When I was kid my parents would order pizza hut all the time until papa johns showed us something better. Last xmas break they ordered pizza hut for the sake of nostalgia i guess and it was fucking awful. I don't know how they stay in business. Papa johns isn't that great but it's still 10x better than pizza hut.
>>
>>7472174
Pizza inn varies by location t.b.h it can be god tier or shit tier
>>
>>7470378
When I was younger, I only ever had pizza from a local pizzeria. It was great, greek style pizza. Whenever I went over friend's houses and had pizza, it was always delivered from some chain like PH or Papa John's or Dominoes, and I thought it was like a special treat. When I got older, I realized I only liked it as a change of pace, it wasn't actually good pizza, so now I almost exclusively eat at mom and pop pizzerias.

That said, OP, your picture makes me hungry, and I would still destroy a Papa John's pizza if you put one down in front of me, because it's fucking pizza. It has to get pretty fucking bad before I consider it inedible.
>>
>>7470378
papa johns was bad 10 years ago.
yes, it has gotten worse.

can we talk about how shitty all pizza delivery chains have gotten?
>>
>>7470378
Yes.
>>
Hey yo I ordered that pizza hut shit with the balls in the crust and they fucked me. They gave me the regular stuffed crust and said they were out of the flavored balls. Serious. WTF kind of business is that? Isn't it the exact same thing and they were just too damn lazy to cut it into the ball shapes for the crust and shake the seasoning onto it?
>>
>>7474229

>ordering from shit-tier restaurant
>expecting them to give a fuck
>>
>>7470378
You have to understand they're a company, so they're going to cheap out on ingredients to make profit. You're better off going to mom-and-pop Italian joints for better pizza.

There's also the option of making it yourself. The only difficult and time-consuming part is making the dough. You can also buy the dough if you don't want to bother making it.
>>
>>7474243
They could have at least called me to let me know before I picked it up
>>
>>7470378
Yes. I remember years back, you'd put in a slice of pizza or a cheesestick in your mouth and it'd taste like an orgasm.

Now it's just average. There's nithing special to the taste.
>>
>>7470378

man sometimes you want your cheese in beverage form and a tomato sauce that's more sugar than tomato

I live in new york and still go for this shitpile a couple times a year
>>
>>7474097
But Dominos got better though. It isn't this great pizza but it isn't bad by any means and they've done a complete 360. It used to be worse than Papa Johns or pizza hut but now it's gotten better while the other two got worse.
>>
>>7475255
Because Dominos listened to their customers and did what they wanted and all PH did was try to copy Dominos and think making tons of crusts and this and that would save them also. Now they just make pure shit but in many many forms
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.