[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ck/ I'm going to be moving out the house and into an apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1455249748806.jpg (131 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
1455249748806.jpg
131 KB, 960x717
/ck/ I'm going to be moving out the house and into an apartment with my friend in a few months. I need a list of food to make that doesn't cost a lot of money. What would you recommend?

>inb4 ramen noodles every night
>>
Everything should be based on rice and beans and whatever cheap green leafy vegetables you can find (these vary by geography)

Beyond that you can add dairy, eggs, and even meat occasionally (no more than a few times a week). Canned sardines count as meat

Don't listen to the idiots who will tell you to buy $1 expired battery chicken meat and eat that daily, that is not only disgusting but also bad for the environment

You can get stuff like ham hocks from sustainably raised pigs for $5 each, and that is enough to flavor an entire pot of bean soup
>>
>>7462192
Rice, beans, chicken, eggs, potatoes, pasta, canned tuna, cheese and whatever cuts of meat are on sale. Basic spices and seasoning, like soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt, pepper. For fruits, have apples and bananas laying around.

Get a big bag of rice, preferably 20lbs, it'll come out to nothing a pound.

Learn how to cook simple dishes, you'll save lots and eat halfway decent. Try to have a salad a day, something simple, don't buy shit tier lettuce like iceburg for a salad, get a cheap extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar to dress the salad with or use ketchup and mayo, throw some cheese in the salad, keep away from those premixed salad dressing bottles, mix your own.
>>
>>7462214
Oh fudge, forgot to add, buy a damn pressure cooker, preferably the newer types that don't vent steam. Not only will whole meals be done in under 30 minutes, but you won't stink up or heat the house when cooking. A lot of foods can be cooked at once together in a pressure cooker, like rice, beans, veggies and chicken, real time saver, and with the newer types of cookers that I mentioned earlier that don't vent steam the flavor is unbeatable.

With a pressure cooker, you can make pulled pork once a month in no time and it won't take hours and it'll come out soft and tasty even using pork shoulder the cheapest cut.
>>
>>7462207
The rice and eggs are a pretty good idea, but I've never been a big fan of bean soup.
>>7462214
There's this great grocery store where I live that's got really good deals. My dad bought an 11 lb pork shoulder for around $9. Sadly I'm going to be kind of far from it.
>>
>>7462226
I saw this infomercial on pressure cookers a few weeks ago, and I thought it was bull shit. Nice to know they weren't all Sham Wow and shit.
>>
>>7462230
Well, stove top pressure cookers are better, but the electric on infomercials aren't that bad for ease of use. I've never cooked a pasta dish in my stove top pressure cooker, but here's a recipe video of the Power Pressure cooker that's in recent infommercials of them cooking up a Rotini Carbonara dish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSmlnWCdw0
>>
I don't answer to this posts anymore. If someone can take care of his basic nutrition by himself without resorting to a store, it's because he's not equiped to live among us anymore.

Darwinism in a shell.

GG OP, you'll die in the next 10 years because of some sort of nutrition malfunction. Now you be responsible and don't reproduce.
>>
>>7462470
*can not
>>
>>7462470
I can handle my basic nutrition. I just wanted some ideas.
>>
File: pressure-cooker.jpg (74 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
pressure-cooker.jpg
74 KB, 768x1024
>>7462226
>buy a damn pressure cooker
>>
>>7462631
what the fuck was he cooking?
>>
>>7462631
>buy a damn pressure cooker and use oil in it to try and replicate KFC
>>
>>7462631
>>7462634

In all fairness, that's a fuckin shit tier 1900s design that vents and makes noise and doesn't have safety release valves, new pressure cookers by Kuhn Rikon, Fissler and Fagor have several safety valves and gaskets that slowly release pressure when it gets too high and you don't blow up the kitchen and your loved ones.

>>7462636
And get to look like Freddy Krueger!
>>
Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. I lived off basically nothing but potatoes and water for like 3 months. Just get some bulk paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. So many ways to do em and good with anything
>>
Spend less money on weed and beer and then you can afford to eat well, and you will become a better cook by contrast which has lifelong application as opposed to 1 day of faux enjoyment.
>>
>>7462636
tfw you will never own a broaster
>>
>>7462910
How was mars?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.