[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is meat usually cooked by just sealing both sides of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 500x250
Why is meat usually cooked by just sealing both sides of the steak?
And why so many people get angry when someone else eats a well cooked fillet?
>>
Keeps heat in to bring it to safe eating temperature without cooking the meat more than is needed.

Because it is a waste of steak, sure it isn't that person's business to judge what others prefer, but why not just eat a hamburger? What is the point of eating tough, leathery grey steak?
>>
File: steka.jpg (182 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
steka.jpg
182 KB, 800x533
>>7418908
I like it when the steak so fat you need to sear the sides
>>
>>7418908
You need to seal the steak. And it just comes that by sealing it, the inside of the steak is cooked just the way you want it.

Outraging about well done steaks is - seriously - just a meme. It's a notion that started somehow, somewhere, and people repeat it like retards. It's a circle jerk. I bet that most people who say it can't cook for shit, don't know hell about gourmandise and couldn't tell beef from pork.

I prefer medium or medium-well. Won't eat below medium-rare because it's a chewing contest. But to each his own.
>>
>>7419043
I, personally, don't care if someone orders a raw steak or a well-cooked steak, I won't judge a person for his meal.
But my father is not like me, he works as a grill-man at private parties and he doesn't care if people want their meat well-cooked, he will give them a freaking crude steak.
>>
>>7418908
>Why is meat usually cooked by just sealing both sides of the steak?
It isn't, most meats are cooked through unless you're eating blue steak or steak tartare, but tartare isn't even seared.

>And why so many people get angry when someone else eats a well cooked fillet?
Because cooking good steak past medium-rare is essentially removing all the flavour. If you're paying for a good steak meat you're paying for the flavour, to then cook it past the point of being able to taste for what you paid for makes you a food and financial idiot.

Cooking steak is about making sure it's safe to eat while also sealing and ideally rendering any fat. A good chef knows how to do this without cooking the flavour out of the steak. People who eat steak past medium-rare don't understand this and don't understand good quality meat.

This is also why 99% of the people who complain about eating rare steak have no background in cooking or culinary prep and tend to mostly be kids memeing about raw meat.
>>
>>7418908

Because it's the waste of a high quality (expensive) raw material. The whole point of a filet--the reason why it is costly--is because it is delicious without requiring a long cooking time. If you want a piece of meat cooked through all the way (and there's nothing wrong with that) it would be silly to use an expensive filet when a cheaper cut would be indistinguishable.

To use another example, consider wood. For many applications of wood the quality doesn't matter--match sticks, sign posts, etc. For other applications the quality matters a lot: musical instruments, fine furniture, gun stocks, art carving. You select the wood based on what you're using it for. If you had a piece of expensive figured walnut it would be silly to use it to make matches. Same principle with taking a steak and having it cooked well done.
>>
>>7419043

SEAR, not seal. The purpose of cooking the meat on both sides is to brown the meat, which makes it taste good via carmelization and the malliard reaction.

The idea that doing this "seals in the juices" is simply not true. The reason for doing it is creating flavor, it does not "seal" anything.
>>
>>7419648
Did you know golf clubs were made of wood a few years back? It's crazy how far we've come when you think about it.
>>
>>7419648
i like your logic
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
How about this?
I cooked it myself.
>>
File: steak.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
steak.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7421033
that looks like you cooked it when it was still ice cold
>>
File: eggsface.jpg (34 KB, 356x329) Image search: [Google]
eggsface.jpg
34 KB, 356x329
>>7419648
Well said, but the difference in taste is fairly negligible, unless its well-well done.

Well.
>>
>>7421033
Did you cook it straight from the freezer?
>>
>>7421033
Outside looks too dry and the inside too under cooked.
Not exactly sure how that's even possible, but it may be the lighting in this photo.
>>
>>7418908
Same reason people get angry at other people listening to justin beiber or watching family guy.
>>
>>7419648
>If you had a piece of expensive figured walnut it would be silly to use it to make matches.
So you would be angry about someone with walnut matches? What if I happen to like the way they feel in my hand?
Just because you can't tell the difference between a well done tri-tip and a well done tenderloin doesn't mean others can't.
>>
> seal
What the fuck is this whole thread?
>>
>>7419043

>I bet that most people who say it can't cook for shit, don't know hell about gourmandise and couldn't tell beef from pork.

bet away faggot, you're apparently not aware that different cuts suit different donenesses.

if you won't eat a fillet steak below medium rare you're a child
>>
>>7418908

it's a meme with a big hipster following, simply put
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.