[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>no coffee thread coffee thread! Why do people suggest boiling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: coffee.webm (3 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
coffee.webm
3 MB, 720x405
>no coffee thread
coffee thread!

Why do people suggest boiling water for brewing coffee? I always thought coffee was supposed to be acidic until I started brewing it at a considerably lower temperature and now the coffee is so nice I don't even add cream or sugar anymore.
I've been trying to get the right water temperature by feeling the heat billowing from the kettle when i pour it, but it's not always accurate.
I'd buy a thermometer, but that'd take all the fun out of experimenting with coffee. I don't even know how many beans to use, I just eyeball the amount.
>>
>>7358708
great blog post, 9/10
>>
>>7358708

That's a really qt webum.

>Why do people suggest boiling water for brewing coffee?
I've never heard people suggest boiling water. "Off a boil" is always suggested if you're not using a thermometer or a variable-temp kettle. I don't have either so I use water 30-45 seconds off a boil.

>I always thought coffee was supposed to be acidic
I thought overly acidic coffee is actually usually a result from under-extraction, like what could happen if you are using water that is too cool, and overly-bitter coffee is a result of using water that is too hot.

>I don't even know how many beans to use, I just eyeball the amount
What are you, some kinda faggot?

What brew method(s) are you using? What beans? I've been brewing some pre-ground lavazza in a moka pot and brewing some Yemeni coffee from Happy Mug. It's probably my favorite coffee yet.

>tfw too broke to get a variable-temp gooseneck kettle, chemex, stainless-steel moka pot, and aeropress
>>
>>7358743
Invest in a good grinder before going for a variable temp kettle. They're cool but they won't inprove the quality of your coffee as much as a consistent grind will.
>>
>>7358743
Chemex is only like $40 for a decent sized one. The filters are like $10 for a box of 100. If you're too poor to afford that then you need to reevaluate your expenses.
>>
>>7358708

Buy a thermometer. You'll use it all the time for various things in the kitchen. 204F is the temp I prefer for coffee.

Buy a burr grinder. Get fresh, clean water. Find local, good quality beans. Figure out the number of grams you need to the amount of water you're going to use. Get a timer so that you can keep things consistent. Get a wooden spoon to use with your French press, not metal.

It's worth it.
>>
>>7358708
What should i search for if i wanted grinder similar to in that webm?
>>
>>7359275

They're called manual grinders. Cheap ones are made by Hario; it's a bit of a mixed bag buying older ones like in the webm- I'm sure you can find expensive ones if you're willing to pay. I like my Hario Skeleton!
>>
>>7359277
Yeah i know that its manual grinder but what i meant was that wooden oldtime box
>>
>>7359205
I do have a baratza encore. I thought I might as well get something that can do both temperature and a gooseneck for when I do pourovers.

>>7359224
But I am anon, which is why I'm without a chemex.

>>7359282
Hario has one. http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Grinder-Ceramic-MRS-8N/dp/B000ANEUF8
>>
File: 1434626809840.png (798 KB, 1001x717) Image search: [Google]
1434626809840.png
798 KB, 1001x717
>get instant coffee
>apply .5 liters hot water
>add 8 sugarcubes
>add .25 liters milk
>sip it through a straw, adding more milk occasionally
That's how I've been enjoying my 'coffee' for over 15 years, and none of you cucks can stop me.
>>
>>7359379
Why don't you just drink a soda, kid?
>>
>>7358743
>off a boil
That's weird, whenever I leave the kettle unattended, it goes up to boiling temperature and then it takes 7 minutes for it to cool down to the temperatures I enjoy.
Of course, this got annoying, so I started feeling the kettle and stopping it around 1 minute in.
It's a shitty plastic kettle, but it insulates well, and I can't do the "feel" technique on other materials like glass or stainless steel so I'm stuck with it.
>>
>>7358708
>Why do people suggest boiling water for brewing coffee?
Who suggests this?
Citation please..
>>
>>7359275
>>7359282

That's a Kalita, a Japanese make. I believe that's their "classic" model.

On the topic of manual grinders, anyone used an electric screwdriver on their grinders to automate the process a bit? I would rather not have to pay hundreds of dollars for a decent electric burr grinder. I currently use a Porlex Mini, and for some reason pentagonal bits are expensive, so I'm thinking of grabbing a Hario for this
>>
Who /espresso/ here?
>>
File: feel pajams.jpg (26 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
feel pajams.jpg
26 KB, 511x428
I, uh, just put the coffee grounds in my coffeemaker...it cost like $20...and I usually just get Maxwell House...

...I drink it black and, um...it's okay, I guess, it's just too sweet otherwise...

I dunno, I just feel like I've got better things to go all-out on than coffee
>>
Which grinders can grind coffee finely enough for Turkish coffee? It needs to be twice as fine as espresso, almost powder.
>>
>>7361018
At least upgrade to bustelo, pilon, chock full o'nuts, eight o'clock, lavazza, illy, or even starbucks. Maxwell House is the lowest you can go without brewing dog shit. I'd highly advise getting a french press. They're cheap as fuck and offer the biggest jump in quality away from your Mr. Coffee in terms of brewing methods, with respect to effort and price. Moka pots are comfy too.

You might as well go whole bean. The improvement in flavor is huge. You can get a cheapo blade grinder for $10-$20. It won't be as good as a coffee-nerd's burr grinder but it beats pre-ground.

>>7361083
One of those brass hand grinders specifically for turkish. An electric grinder suitable for turkish is likely going to be absurdly expensive.
>>
>>7361083
Why don't you pulverize the beans with a mallet in a bag?
>>
File: splat_mii2.png (510 KB, 600x573) Image search: [Google]
splat_mii2.png
510 KB, 600x573
Aeropress user here. I love how much control I have over coffee now. The Aeropress makes it so easy for anyone to get into coffee and experiment.

Always make the grinds yourself from whole beans, just before brewing. Its a far better flavor than pre-ground or k-cups.

Burr grinders make fairly consistent grinds, but can be tedious. Blade grinders are quick, but very uneven. I have both, use whatever depending on my mood

Try out locally roasted coffee beans. Usually better flavor.

Grind size and brewing time should be directly related. Fine grinds will heat up faster than medium grinds. Using water that's too hot can burn your coffee and make it taste rather bitter.

In general, I find this works best:

Invert brewing method
Medium-fine grind
79-80 degrees celcius
1 minute total brewing time (20s bloom, 40s brew)
>>
>>7358708
195-205 Fahrenheit is the sweet spot.
>>
COLD BREW
O
L
D
B
R
E
W
>>
>>7359379
Still better than Starbucks.
>>
>>7361456
Do you get a full cup out of this?
>>
File: koffee.jpg (11 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
koffee.jpg
11 KB, 400x400
>>7362154
depending on my coffee mugs, a full aeropress will yield about 3/4 to 7/8 of a mug.

- If its a light or medium blend, i top it off with water.
- If its a dark blend or bitter overall, i top it off with soy milk for some decent lattes.
- Occasionally when i want a bit of a rush, ill just drink it as it is, almost like a double shot espresso.

>>7361456
Also, forgot to mention:
18-20g coffee beans
using a thermometer

might be worth noting that, even though a Keurig will yield a full cup, k-cups average about 9g of coffee grinds, kind of weak. when i switched from Kcups to the aeropress, i immediately noticed a huge difference. in taste, and in the resulting caffeine rush.
>>
File: 41+RXLPsvXL._SX300_.jpg (11 KB, 300x253) Image search: [Google]
41+RXLPsvXL._SX300_.jpg
11 KB, 300x253
Are these washable reusable coffee filters any good? I've always used paper coffee filters.

I saw them for $3 at Walmart.
>>
Serious question, ever try turkish coffee? Do you like it?
>>
>>7362582
They let a lot of sediment through which will reduce flavor clarity but will enhance body. If you like heavy bodied coffee I'd recommend it.
>>
>>7358708
I've found the temperature perfect every time by just pressing the brew button on the keurig machine and using my brain on other matters
>>
>>7362805
>being a wage slave
>>
>>7362775
>mfw i use both paper and reusable
>mfw i have no face
>>
>>7362817
We're all someone's bitch
>>
Do you guys drink Wilkins coffee?
>>
>>7358708
using a moka pot, though I am still struggling with proper brew technique.
probably my shite electric stove.
might try making some cold brew or buy a kettle and make some proper coffees.
>>
>>7358708
looks very autistic, source?
>>
>>7364073
>Gochumon wa Usagi Desu ka?

It's not that good for a show about cute girls doing cute things.
>>
>>7364438
>not that good
>has multiple seasons
just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's shit
>>
>>7364456
>just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's shit

Naruto and bleach have multiple seasons too, just because it has multiple seasons doesn't mean it's objectively good.
>>
>>7364457
It has mass appeal.
They were greenlit multiple times because they make more money for their production company than your shitty "good anime" with only 12 episodes that sold only 100 blurays.
>>
I've been livin' the French press life for the past year and a half and there's no way I can go back to a regular drip brewer. I'd like to probably check out a Chemex next. What's the difference in flavor/body like between the two? I find myself really enjoying the strong flavors and full body of the coffee I get from my press; is the Chemex comparable to that, or is the character of the coffee something different entirely?
>>
>>7364461
>"popular means good"
>"if it was bad, people wouldn't buy it"
>>
>>7364717
>/ck/
>arguing about Chinese meme cartoons
>>
>>7365442
Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>7359999
Matt Perger and with good reason as the water temp drops quite a bit - you ain't getting 205F water in the slurry if you're not using boiling water
>>
>>7358708
>I'd buy a thermometer, but that'd take all the fun out of experimenting with coffee.

>creationism science in a nutshell
>>
File: 1.jpg (290 KB, 944x1000) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
290 KB, 944x1000
Anyone got an opinion on these
>>
A question for a newbie, what's the best method of brewing that is functional, cheap and makes more than one cup at a time between all the methods of coffee making?
>>
>>7366219
a mr. coffee machine is only $15
>>
>>7366234
Not them, but I have one. It was a gift. It's kind of shitty. Just saying.
>>
File: enjoy you're coffee.png (181 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
enjoy you're coffee.png
181 KB, 400x324
Coffee after meal?
I like a small strong espresso after dinner.
>>
>>7366219
french press
>>
>>7366219
You asked for the best and I would normally suggest espresso but since you also asked for cheap I'd say that your best options are either a Moka Pot or a French Press. But if you choose the French Press then you're supporting terrorism and domestic violence. Up to you though.
>>
I usually just drink my dad's brew of coffee, he puts cinnamon in it, it's pretty good. If he drinks it all, I just boil water and use instant coffee, still pretty good.
>>
>>7366454
Yeah a nice strong cup of coffee is the best thing after a big meal, especially if it's dark and sweet so it's like a dessert replacement
>>
>>7361527
I'm seriously considering getting a Yama Tower for aesthetics
>>
Is there any stuff that would make black coffee whiter but not change the flavor? I think my teeth are yellowing.
>>
>>7368798
A small amount of whole milk in the cup before pouring in the coffee I suppose.
>>
>>7368798
a teaspoon of bleach should do the trick
>>
>>7358708
Here's the deal:

Coffee "strength" depends mainly on these factors:

1. Coffee Roast
- The darker, the stronger

2. Coffee Grind
- The finer, the stronger

3. Water temp
- The hotter, the stronger

4. Brew time
- The longer, the stronger

5. Coffee/Water ratio
- The higher, the stronger

It's an equation, work it out according to your taste.

I only use boiling water to brew really, really green beans, the one that come out stale if I brew at 80 - 85 degrees celsius. Medium roasts usually brew fine at 80 degrees celsius.

I've learned immensely ever since I bought an Aeropress and a grinder. It gives you nearly total control over your brew.

Get yourself a thermometer and start brewing at 80 degrees celsius, experiment from there, you won't regret.

Sugar overcomes bitterness but, in my opinion, if coffee tastes too bitter to take without sugar, something's off-balance in the above equation.

In the end, it's all a matter of taste, but taste can be developed as long as you're methodical.
>>
>>7369129
>1. Coffee Roast
>- The darker, the stronger

darker roasts have LESS caffeine.
just something to keep in mind
>>
>>7368798
Diluting the coffee isn't going to change the amount of whatever's causing that that comes in contact with your teeth. You have to either drink less coffee, or whiten your teeth. I really wouldn't worry about it though. No one really pays attention to how white your teeth are unless you stand in front of a camera for living
>>
>>7369129
Ok, by stronger I mean something in the lines of "higher extraction rate"
>>
Aeropress > Everything else
>>
>>7369146
I'm pretty sure he's talking about a stronger flavor, not higher caffeine content.
>>
>>7366454
>you're

this is why you are a barista.
>>
>>7371411
Your right, I'm sorry.
>>
I have a french press and was wondering if you guys could recommend a cheap grinder. And any tips on how to brew good coffee with a french press?
>>
>>7373160
any grinder with a removable grind chamber is good
walmart sells one for $13.
Just hold it for 30+ seconds if you want ultra-fine coffee that's so fine it cakes together.
>>
File: 1445366048146.jpg (24 KB, 255x207) Image search: [Google]
1445366048146.jpg
24 KB, 255x207
>>7358708
>mfw I started a french press thread before seeing this one

How much is a decent grinder?
>>
>>7373212
20$ for manual, 200$ for electric
>>
File: plxcoffee.jpg (27 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
plxcoffee.jpg
27 KB, 400x200
I don't want to create a thread just for this, since coffee thread exists.

What is general opinion on capsule coffee? I am looking to get one for my home, but can't decide which one to get. Any advice on the matter?
>>
>>7373212
Get a baratza encore. $130 is what I got mine for I think. I've had it for over a year and I love it.
>>
>>7373571
>What is general opinion on capsule coffee?

To anyone who's not the target demographic (lazy morans who will just drown it in creamer): DRM'd shit.

Personally, I don't see the point in making shitty coffee easier to brew. If they want to make some REAL money, they should make "coffee" with the creamer already mixed in or emulsified and then charge up the ass for the capsules.
>>
>>7373673
>coffee DRM

Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>7373681
More like pod DRM. It's already been cracked and third party pods are out, but I doubt it's going to just simply go away.

Here's something else to think about: the inventor of Keurig doesn't use kcups.
>>
>>7373673
Fair enough. Anyone else has input on the matter?
>>
File: Cafe bich nga.jpg (58 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Cafe bich nga.jpg
58 KB, 640x960
>>7373673
>>7373709

>lazy morans who will just drown it in creamer
That's the target demo for instant coffee. I'll actually defend instant. I recognize that there are tons of things people sperg out over that I can't even begin to care about, and I refuse to act smugly condescending towards the people who do the same with something I enjoy or the products that cater to them.

Keurig is another matter entirely. It's a modern day Rube Goldberg machine- not convenient, but the illusion of convenience. Its target audience is kind of people that every trite, painfully unfunny "satire" of consumerism centers around. The kind of people who are either too dim or too blinded by its popularity to realize they're making worse coffee than any method besides instant and spending more money on it than any other (in terms of the bare minimum you need to get a cup of coffee every morning) in exchange for having to do only marginally less work than using a drip machine with preground. And let's not forget the fact that it'll crap out every few years when the shittily made components wear out, or how massively wasteful those cups are even if you get the biodegradable ones. They're a godsend for offices, but I literally cannot come up with a valid reason to have one in your home.
>>
File: VendingMachine_1392380103.jpg (479 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
VendingMachine_1392380103.jpg
479 KB, 1000x1200
>>7373954
>And let's not forget the fact that it'll crap out every few years when the shittily made components wear out
>They're a godsend for offices

If they break down that often, wouldn't the support from a commercial vendor to send their own technician to service the equipment be more worth it?
>>
>>7373708
>the inventor of Keurig doesn't use kcups
You think Kernel Sanders eats McDonalds?
>>
>>7374172
He dead.
>>
>>7373673
>they should make "coffee" with the creamer already mixed in
this already exists tho
>>
>>7369155
Someone said I had yellow chompers today, noting that I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes. Really hurt my feelings. People notice.
>>
>>7374557
I meant in pods.

Water and stirring is too much work for kfags.
>>
>>7374972
it literally produces less mess and is faster than firing up your keurig machine
are people too lazy and and stupid to boil their own water these days?
>>
>>7374977
>are people too lazy and and stupid to boil their own water these days?

You underestimate the value in having people do less work for their gratification.
>>
>>7373954
>>7373954
What about other brands/makes? Like Dolce Gusto and Tassimo? Are those equally shit?
>>
>>7375249
Never had either of those. Nespresso is shockingly decent
>>
>>7359224
A Melitta pour over cone is $10, a bag of 100 filters for said cone is $2, and it makes coffee that is just as good as said chemex.
If you're spending any more than that for your pour over coffee process, you're a pretentious hipster faggot and need to just kill yourself.
>>
>>7364040
You can do moka well on an electric stove-I've done it-but it takes paying attention. It's a completely manual process, so the proper method is based on YOU and your skill.
Most people get it too hot. What I found works well for me based on the size of the pot I'm using is to either turn the burner down to halfway (6 cup pot) or all the way off (3 cup or smaller) just as soon as coffee starts coming out of the stem.
When the bigger pots get to about 2/3 full, I take them off the heat and let them finish up their brew cycle without boiling the coffee. Ideally, you want for the coffee to stop boiling just before the water in the lower tank runs out.
>>
>>7362775
There's nothing better than heavy bodied coffee
>>
>>7376869
Yes there is.
It's called "coffee that doesn't taste like mud", and it's great.
>>
what do you guys think of the kalita wave? Interested in the Hario cold brew maker as well.
>>
>>7376936
I have the 155 wave and i love it. The filters are really good (both white and brown)and it's easy to get the same cup consistently. I usually do 18-20 grams of coffee to 300 grams of water, 50 grams poured every 30 seconds with a little wiggle and a tap at the end just to level the bed out while the coffee draws down.
>>
>>7364040
This (image.jpg) is how to electric element moka pot. I know it seems simple and I feel like I'm insulting your intelligence by suggesting it but it's a common mistake and I'm anonymous so you can't hold a grudge if I've hurt your feelings.
Also, you'll always get a better brew if you preheat your water.
>>
File: md6478721.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
md6478721.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>7377048
forgot my jay peg dot image
>>
>>7366181
you can get an actual espresso machine for less than half that price. then you can spend the rest of the savings on a decent grinder and enjoy real espresso.

basically, machines like the one in your picture are designed to appeal to people with more money than sense
>>
>>7366219
you can find french press pitchers that will brew about 20-24 fluid ounces of coffee at a time for around $10-15US
>>
>>7377051

Why would they sell the top part in that color.

From the thumbnail it looks like it's overflowing, or otherwise permanently coffee stained.
>>
>>7374703
dick move. you are probably causing more tooth stains with smoking than coffee anyway. also smoking is terrible so just cut that shit out m8.
>>
File: multicultural.jpg (12 KB, 236x305) Image search: [Google]
multicultural.jpg
12 KB, 236x305
>>7377126
beats me but they exist
>>
>>7370567
meme detected.

the Aeropress is just a modified, harder to clean, leak prone french press for hipsters.

moka pots are trash, too: glorified percolators that result in over-extracted, burnt coffee or weak, watery, bitter faux-spresso depending on interpretation.

instead of buying into meme devices, either use a french press or invest in a proper grinder and an espresso maker. you can get espresso machines on Amazon for less than $100 (US) nowadays, and they conform to the Italian Espresso National Institute standards, so you know they're making the real McCoy.

Unless you're so poor that you can't justify a $10 french press, there's no reason why you shouldn't be enjoying quality coffee. If you want to upgrade, you can get into espresso for under $200. Just manage your expenses like an adult.
>>
>>7377144
How is an aeropress harder to clean than a French press? You rinse two parts and that's it.
>>
File: electric-coil-burner.jpg (67 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
electric-coil-burner.jpg
67 KB, 1000x666
>>7377126
I thought it was overheated from being on that electric stove.
>>
>>7377158
the aeropress leaks, it makes more of mess than a french press, which literally never leaks
>>
>>7377144
>meme detected.
>goes on to regurgitate dank moka memes
Oh, the irony.
>>
>>7378696

what does any of that have to do with ease of cleaning?

I find the aeropress easier to clean because you can simply discard the used filter and then everything else is simple to rinse. On the other hand it can be a pain to clean grounds out of the screen on the french press.
>>
why is coffee so perfect bros
>>
>>7378861
Dude, don't even bother. He's our resident shitposter. He whines about everything that isn't a French press or espresso machine, and I'm pretty sure it really is just one person because it's the same tired, nonsensical complaints every time.
>>
>>7377524
No, it gets overheated from REMAINING on that electric stove long after it's done doing what it does. If you take it off the heat before it's done making coffee, it will finish the batch just as it cools down enough, and you won't have those problems.

>>7377144
>moka pots are trash
Nope.
It's just a completely manual and non-foolproof way of making coffee which requires your attention for best results. It's also not espresso, but its own special snowflakey thing-it requires a different grind size and different technique. That said, you can-and I have-gotten excellent results from them, even the cheap made-in-Chinkland ones if you know what you're doing. It's just that no one knows what they're doing and the usual set of instructions basically consist of "you'll get the hang of it eventually", which is a recipe for disaster-and bad coffee.
>>
>>7379783
>No, it gets overheated from REMAINING...

Yes, I know. I have one too.

Just thought it looked funny.
>>
What kitchen scale do you use to weigh your locally roasted whole beans?
Lots of reviews on Amazon seem pretty sketchy desu senpai. Especially all the cheap Chinese scales.
Any good ol' Made In The Greatest Country On Earth God Bless America scales?
>>
>>7379836
I use a Chinese made electronic scale that measures in grams.
Works just as well as the made in USA things, costs 1/10th the price, and is available everywhere you want it to be.
>>
>>7378884
Because thats what we tell ourselves to keep feeding our caffeine addictions.
>>
>>7379783
>It's just that no one knows what they're doing and the usual set of instructions basically consist of "you'll get the hang of it eventually", which is a recipe for disaster-and bad coffee.

I think the other problem with moka pots is that people obsess over what they're doing in each step, where it is actually quite forgiving, and don't pay nearly enough attention to timing, where it can be incredibly unforgiving.

In many ways it's the antithesis to modern coffee culture. The moka is not impressed by what fraction of a gram you measured your grinds to. It is not impressed that you preheated the water to the perfect temperature. It does not, in my experience, even care all that much about whether you preheated the water in the first place. These things can make a difference, sure, but if you step away for the wrong 15 seconds it has no qualms about screwing you. Meanwhile, if you learn to read its moods it will serve you beautifully, even if you just eyeball the rest.
>>
>>7374162
Money is in selling the capsules and capsule plans.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 385x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 385x289
>>7380848
When I was unemployed for a bit and had the time, I DID obsess over all that shit and it DID produce better results, but only marginally. The big thing I started doing was weighing everything, and then life with the moka pot got really simple.
For my 6 cup pot, it takes 11oz of water to get to the "fill-to" line and 25-28 grams of coffee, depending on brand.
For my 3 cup pot, it was exactly 150ml of water to get to the bottom of the valve, and the basket took 14-16 grams of coffee.
Of the supermarket brands I tried, pic related had the right grind size, produced the best results and had the least mud in it.

And you're absolutely right about the last 10 seconds or so being the critical make-or-break moments that decide how good your moka pot coffee will be. I started turning down the heat from full to half as soon as the coffee started coming up, and turning the burner off entirely when I had about 1 cup left to go. I may not get absolutely maximum yield out of my batches, but I practiced enough so that I'm close, and honestly what's that extra 1/4 ounce of coffee worth if it ruins the rest of your batch?

>captcha: coffee
Based
>>
>>7379783
>>7380848
>>7382017
My dad just bought a new moka pot the other day, and I've been using the opportunity to try it out by myself for the first time. You guys mention that timing is key - in what sense? So far all I've done is put in the water and the coffee and let it boil til no more coffee is coming out and that's it. What should I be doing?
>>
File: ap0.jpg (47 KB, 436x269) Image search: [Google]
ap0.jpg
47 KB, 436x269
>not wanting your coffee bitter as fuck
>>
>>7382029
I want to taste the coffee, not nuke my taste buds.
>>
You guys are fuckwits. I upgraded from instant coffee in the mornings to based iced coffees by just making cold brew in a jug. Fuck your fancy towers, fuck your meme devices.

Blade grinder
Whatever beans I feel like
Chilled filtered water
1L jug
17 hours in the fridge

I've got a jug going right now and it's going to be awesome to drink in the morning since I don't have time for this memeshit.

[spoiler]sugar syrup and milk make a great iced coffee[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1454753434263.jpg (13 KB, 416x297) Image search: [Google]
1454753434263.jpg
13 KB, 416x297
What's the best way to brew coffee?
>>
What is a decently priced French press coffee maker that I can buy on amazon? I bought some café bustelo and it doesn't work with my keurig, so I'm just gonna buy a French press and make it that way
>>
>>7382164
2/10 you need to turn down the knob a little
>>
>>7382166
Not actually baiting, I genuinely want to know
>>
>>7382164
>>7382175
Just get a bodum. There are some for 15 pounds on amazon.co.uk
>>
>>7382024
For the most part that's it. The water in the lower chamber keeps the coffee from over extracting until the very end when there isn't any water left anymore and the temperature spikes into the shitty flavor zone. The difference comes at the end of the process.
I'm >>7382017 , and I detailed the finer points pretty well in that post. Basically, you want your moka pot to stop putting coffee into the top chamber just as the water in the bottom runs out. That doesn't happen if you turn off the burner right as it runs out, you have to take it off the heat a little early. How early depends on how big your moka pot is and how hot you had it.
If you do it right, you can make a full pot with the lid open and not have coffee spray everywhere.
>>
>>7382101
There are lots of ways to make good coffee. Pick one and figure it out for yourself.
>>
>>7382164
>bustelo
>in a French press
Enjoy your river mud.
>>
File: 21f-106-Vine-kitchen-3.jpg.jpg (234 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
21f-106-Vine-kitchen-3.jpg.jpg
234 KB, 1024x768
>>7382024
Timing is learned through practice. Was it a pre-seasoned moka pot? If not, did your dad season it before you started using it?
>>
>>7382427
Let me disagree with the coffee pot makers here. I don't think "seasoning" the pot does anything at all, other than keep you from inadvertently drinking protective oil residues.
If you know anything at all about chemistry, you know that aluminum forms a very hard (but very thin) oxide layer almost instantantly upon contact with the air. All you have to do is not scratch it off (so wash it with a soft sponge and mild dish soap ONLY) and your moka pot will last for decades or longer.
The thing that you DO have to do when you first get your moka pot, however, is do a very thorough wash to get all of the protective oils completely off of it. The makers put a thin film of oil on their moka pots so they don't tarnish on the shelf waiting to be sold, but the problem is that they taste like shit and when they mix with the oils in the coffee, they make IT taste like shit. That's why the makers recommend throwing away the first couple of batches of coffee made with your moka pot-it likely has oil residues in it that won't taste good. Once you get past that, the oil is completely gone.
>>
Anyone know any good coffee shops in taipei? Traveling there soon.
>>
>>7373673
You can fix this easily by putting the wrapper top from a Keurig approved cup on top of the one you're trying to use.
>>
>>7382164
Bustelo is ass m8, especially in a french press because I'm assuming you're buying the espresso-ground cans/bricks.
>>
>>7383314
Bustelo can be good, but it's ground WAY too fine for the FP. Matter of fact, it's ground a little too fine for a moka pot without getting mud in the bottom of it either.
It's a true espresso grind.
>>
>>7378696
>the aeropress leaks
>i have never used an aeropress, and post fabrications
fixed.
>>
>>7383960
The aeroshill is just a cheap imitation of a french press. It's a gimmick. Like the Ab-Blaster-2000, people will buy one, use it a handful of times, and then throw it on the lawn outside their house hoping that someone will take it away.
>>
>>7384025
I've had one that I've used pretty much every day for almost 8 years.
>>
>>7384030
In that time have you ever has to replace a gasket or lubricate any parts?
>>
>>7358708
>order an espresso machiato
>"a what?"
>forget it, an espresso is fine
>"that will be five dollars"
kill me senpai
>>
>>7384064
Nope, it's all original and I've never had to lubricate any part of it.
>>
>>7384201
Where did this happen?
>>
>have
french press
v60
ibrik/cevze
moka pot
shitty krups "espresso" machine
hario mini mill
walmart brand variable temp (+/- 10 degrees, its a shitty sensor) kettle

Wat 2 cop next, guis?
>>
>>7384287
Pour-over like a chemex and a variable temp gooseneck kettle for that sexy pouring.
>>
File: bialetti.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
bialetti.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>7358708
I highly recommend buying a mokka
>>
>>7384287
Enjoyment from all your various shit. You've got most of the bases covered, and that's the whole point of all that stuff, isn't it?
All that shit is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It may be time to focus on what you like about what you've got instead of what aspect of anything you don't have.
>>
yuropoor here. The only two reasonable priced manual grinders are the hario slim and skereton.
Is there any difference in the grinders excluding the size?
>>
Is there a difference between a V-60 and a Chemex?
Seem to both just be pour overs
>>
>>7386009
From what I've read, the slim is better at coarser settings than the skerton because its burr is stabilized by a spring at the bottom, while the skerton's isn't. That said, I have a Skerton and it's great as-is (I don't use super-coarse settings). There are mods you can do on it which make its coarse settings much better, and the grinder part can also fit a jelly jar if you accidentally break the original chamber.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>7386009
>skereton
>>
>>7359311
>$100 for something that should only cost you $10-30 max

>>7358708
RULE 1 in all coffee threads. Coffee hipsters are fucking faggots and have buyers remorse at such a deep level they will recommend you get the same crap they got.
>>
File: brad.gif (44 KB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
brad.gif
44 KB, 280x200
>>7358708
>burr grinder meme
There is absolutely no difference between coffe ground with a burr grinder than that that with a blade grinder.
Don't fall for this ill-informed /ck/ forced meme.
>>
>>7386118
enjoy your mud
>>
>>7386116
Hey if you want a fancy wooden-box hand-crank grinder, that's what you'll have to pay, at least for a new one. It's a luxury item.
>>
File: 1357200092785.jpg (65 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1357200092785.jpg
65 KB, 510x546
>>7386125
>luxury item
Those that can afford luxury don't make their own coffee.
>>
>>7386130
50 bucks is luxury now?
I'm sure I paid less for all my coffee equipment put together.
>>
File: 1453963945124.jpg (47 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1453963945124.jpg
47 KB, 900x900
>>7386133
>backpedaling and trying to change it from $100 to 50 in just one post

You're 2cute.
>>
>>7378696
Idk what you mean by saying it leaks. If you're doing it inverted and it leaks you have a faulty gasket, if you're doing it right side up and it is leaking and making a mess you should probably consider setting it onto a cup or something instead of being a sperg.
>>
real talk coffee might be the most popular thing to over value on the internet. you can make great coffee cheaply with practice. but on the internet people will fight over their single use, over expensive gadgets that make good coffee without any practice.
>>
>>7386175
Think about what you're saying.
Coffee is literally the biggest meme beverage ever, second only to alcohol.
>>
>>7386045
Pourover is pourover. No real difference between them. The chemex is just way prettier.
>>
>>7386144
I swear to god you with that image and that harrison ford image have to be the most annoying motherfucker in the history of 4chan. What a fucking faggot.
>>
File: image_tumblr_imgur_reddit.jpg (97 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
image_tumblr_imgur_reddit.jpg
97 KB, 500x654
>>7386253
This one?
>>
>>7386175
You're not wrong, but saying it here is kind of misguided. That's advice that would be much more useful on /r/coffee (the epitomy "great resource, terrible people"). There's a reason we spend so much time talking about moka pots, french presses, and pour overs. You could buy all 3 plus a hand grinder for under $100 with enough left over for a pound of good-for-grocery-store beans
>>
>>7386276
but this is gorgeous
>>
>>7386175
There are also a bunch of 65+ retirees clogging lots of hobby message boards with money to burn and more free time than your average high school kid. In the coffee boards, they're the ones with the $2500+ restaurant-tier espresso makers, $500+ commercial-grade grinders, Fair Trade beans sourced from individual growers in rural Kenya and so on. And they're the ones who drive the boards, because they have the time to. The rest of the communities are just regular people doing the stuff on the cheap,bsurfing occasionally for tips and making do with what they can.
>>
anyone else find that coffee tastes better when you use less grounds? (drip machine btw)
>>
>>7386471
Kind of.
I found that 8-10 cup batches tasted best when I used about 4-1/2 to 5 spoonfuls of coffee grounds (Never weighed it out though), vs the 10 spoonfuls recommended by the coffee jews at Starbucks and folgers.
>>
>>7386481
What they don't tell you is that heated water becomes saturated after adding a certain amount of grounds and will no longer be able to accept more "coffee flavor".

Adding more than 50g of grounds for a 10 cup batch is a waste
>>
What's the best poorfag way of getting nice coffee while not getting an expensive machine?

French press? One of those italian coffee kettles?
>>
>>7386527
>bodum french press $15
>plastic electric kettle $12

or just buy a mr. coffee drip machine, they're only like $15 at this point and it holds 8-12 cups.
>>
>>7386527
French press, aeropress or chemex.
>>
>>7386527
French press, moka pot, or pour over. You can get all of them dirt cheap without sacrificing quality. Do some actual research before you choose- asking here is just going to result in people shouting out whichever one they own.
>>
>>7386527
Melitta #2 size pour over cone is $8-10
A pack of 100 #2 cone filters is like $2.
A 2 cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup is $5
Add coffee and a spoon and you're in business.
>>
File: press any button.jpg (6 KB, 250x195) Image search: [Google]
press any button.jpg
6 KB, 250x195
>mfw in america it is "special" to brew your own coffee correctly
>mfw people really get their daily coffee from shops
What the fuck
>>
>>7358708
Dark roasts are pleb tier as fuck.

Once you start appreciating actual light roasts you wont be able to drink anything mainstream in America ever again. Starbucks literally tastes like garbage when you have a refined pallet.
>>
>>7369129
>>7369146
>>7370608
Dark roasts are pleb tier.

In most European countries Esspresso is made with a light roast.
>>
>>7387154
It's called "not being grindingly poor".
Perhaps you should try it sometime.
>>
>>7387167
>>7387161
Please pardon the samefag troll
He is new at this.
>>
>>7387187
>drinking the hot sock tea they call coffee of starbucks and similars
The last time I went to america the only good coffees these kind of shops had hadn't any coffe in them and were mostly sugar, milk, sweet stuff and candy.
>>
Anyone have a method for brewing with a french press that gives a good result everytime? I swear the same beans always end up with a different taste for me.

I use water through a faucet filter, boil it and let it sit for 15-30 seconds. I do a 10:1 gram ratio, so I usually do 24g of ground beans to 240g water. I pour 120g into the french press and let it steep with the beans for 30 seconds, then pour the rest and stir after one minute, then let it sit for about 5 minutes.

I still feel like my coffee doesn't taste as good as it could. I usually like to buy starbucks pikes or some medium roast of theirs.
>>
>>7387154
>correctly

More like manually.
>>
File: 1208-01[1].jpg (87 KB, 510x510) Image search: [Google]
1208-01[1].jpg
87 KB, 510x510
How long should you let the coffee brew? I usually wait 2 minutes.
>>
>>7387207
Since nobody answered you I'll try, but I'm not familiar with French Press intricacies, though I do know how coffee works. In my opinion you're over extracting.
There's my answer. You're welcome!

Also, the variation in your brews could be the grind deteriorating and going stale, assuming you're buying preground.
Obligatory: invest in a burr grinder
>>
Ok so i watched a few videos on how to brew with a vacuum pot, WTF is the point. As i see it its like brewing the coffee in a regular pot and then pouring it over a filter.

I hope im wrong, please explain to me if i am.
>>
>>7358708
Hotter water extracts more. Once the water mixes with the coffee (room temp) and the brewing vessel (maybe around 60c if you preheat) it will drop from 100(or whatever temp water boils at at your elevation) down to like 93c, which is about what you want. If you are using colder water, you're going to get a lower brew temp than that, which is less good. If your brew method/water/coffee is not great, then colder water may be more forgiving.
>>
>>7358743
>I don't have either so I use water 30-45 seconds off a boil.

If you are leaving the lid on your kettle, the water will have dropped less than 2c, so you may as well save yourself the time and pour it straight away.

>I thought overly acidic coffee is actually usually a result from under-extraction

Overly acidic coming from under-extraction is true. Water temperature is a bit more complex, but will typically lower extraction as well.
>>
>>7361456
>Fine grinds will heat up faster than medium grinds
While this isn't false, this plays a TINY role in the resulting brew. It is much more about the surface area and distance from outside to inside of the particle.

> Using water that's too hot can burn your coffee and make it taste rather bitter.
Absolutely untrue. Coffee is roasted to temperatures above 200c (first crack being around 193c; most roasts are not stopped until at least the start of first crack at the very earliest). You are not cooking the coffee. You are not going to burn it with water.
>>
>>7369129
>Coffee "strength" depends mainly on these factors:
Well, you didn't really define strength. You can define strength in a few ways:
Caffeine content - this will vary most with the amount of dry coffee used. Caffeine is not destroyed during roasting, and does not vary much depending on roast level.

TDS%: This is the current industry standard meaning of "strength". Total Dissolved Solids%, the percentage of the brewed liquid that is dissolved coffee. Around 1.2%-1.5% is standard.

Flavor intensity: This is the most ambiguous, as it may refer to bitter flavors (thus why people think dark roasts are "strong") or it may refer to flavor intensity unrelated to TDS% (this kenyan coffee is really intense) or it may just mean TDS%.

I'm sure you can see why nearly everything you said was wrong.
>>
>>7384287
A decent grinder. Those harios are trash.
>>
>>7387207
It looks like your method is sound, or at least consistent. So that's not the problem.
It's time to look into improving the quality of your ingredients. As >>7387468 said, the next logical step is to grind your own for maximum freshness. It's a little more work on the front end, but you do notice a better result on the back end.
>>
>>7388285
No, they work great. It's not their fault you don't know how to set the grind size or turn a handle properly.
>>
>>7388517
>>7387468

I do grind, my own beans m8s, I guess I forgot to mention that., but I agree with having to maybe search out some higher quality shit. Maybe actually use some bottled mineral water instead of filtered faucet water.
>>
>>7388536
Also try varying the temperature of your water. The standard 200-205F (93-95C) water works well, but I've also gotten very good results from going as low as 180F (83C). Yes, it extracts less so more grounds are required, but the compounds extracted above that point are harsher and more bitter tasting. The result is a smoother cup with more rich flavors.
>>
>>7388525
They're "great" only for their price. They objectively produce lots of fines and are only worth the buy if you are an absolute poorfag.

They aren't good grinders.
>>
Anyone here have the Hario v60-2? As in, the version 2 size.

Can you make single cups with it (300ml, 16-18g coffee)? Or do I have to get the smaller one?

And if you also have an Aeropress, how would you compare the taste? I want to move on from it to pour over because I feel like it has too much body for me.
>>
>>7388723
Please recommend me a good grinder.
>>
>>7388727
Yes, I have one. Of course you can make single cups, what kind of ridiculous question is that?

I've only used other people's aeropresses (I got one for my dad because he collects coffee gadgets), between it and any of the pourovers I've used (and I've used almost all of them) I'd be hard pressed to tell you the difference at the same brew strength. But then, I haven't done a side by side comparison between identical beans and roasts. The main thing is, do you like a plastic penis pump from China, or a respectable ceramic object from Japan?
>>
>>7389096
What is your budget? And where are you from?

For under 200 your best options are:
- Graef CM 800 (140€, European)
- Graef CM 702 (75€, Same grind quality as the 800 but it's in mostly plastic and less features)
- Baratza Encore ($130, slightly worse than the Graef but still great)

And if you can tolerate hand grinders, both of these produce an even better grind than the ones listed above:
- LIDO 2 or 3
- Feldgrind and the others by knock
>>
>>7389117
I have never, ever seen someone make a single cup in the bigger ones on youtube. I was assuming it drips by too fast in the bigger ones, hence there being three different sizes. I also remember reading something like this.

What is your recipe for a single cup in the v2?
>>
>>7389147
>I was assuming it drips by too fast in the bigger ones
It does if you pour based on the height of the water in the cone relative to the top of the cone

If you use reasonable care when brewing it's the same, the drip rate is largely a function of the mass of water that is sitting on the grounds and that part is up to you
>>
is there a coffee machine that brews coffee at the optimal drinking temperature? it sux having to wait for the coffee to cool down.
>>
>>7389212
The optimal drinking temperature is not the optimal brewing temperature. Your coffee will end up being under extracted and weak if it is brewed at drinking temperature.
>>
>>7386527
You could probably find a plastic Mellita filter cone at Walmart for around $5. Get that and the corresponding paper filters and you're brewing like a king on the cheap.
>>
>>7389138
i use a hario burr handgrinder
works well and the price is ok
>>
>>7389300
>he spends 10 minutes grinding
lmao
>>
>>7389300
No, it's terrible. Follow the post chain before responding randomly.
>>
>>7389305
not that guy but I'm actually about to grind a dose with a hario grinder

will report back on timing
>>
>>7389311
28 grams
44 seconds
>>7389309
fuck off with your $1000 grinders, the guy you originally replied to has a $100 krups "espresso" machine, the grinder is the least of his worries
>>
>>7389323
I grind 20 grams in 10 seconds with my $10 electric grinder.
>>
>>7389323
None of those were even close to the expensive area. If you like to use garbage and drink bad coffee, go ahead, but don't misinform people into thinking it's good. And grinder is far more important than brew method.
>>
>>7389326
>blade grinder
Enjoy your inconsistent particles and even worse coffee than what the Hario produces, which is already pretty bad.
>>
>>7389326
Your $10 blade grinder you mean. Those are better than nothing but there's room for improvement. There is a sweet spot between doing it better, and masturbation, and a $30 ceramic grinder is pretty much that sweet spot. Unless you're brewing espresso, obviously.
>>7389334
>shitposting intensifies
Yes your mythos one is definitely going to make those starbucks beans taste great! Epic post friend!
>>
>>7389345
>inconsistent particles
nigga i don't give a fuck
stop trying to justify spending $50 on a fucking hand grinder
>>
>>7389351
You're retarded, and you should kill yourself. I mean it. He already has a v60, and you can get a brewer for less than 10 bucks that can make perfect coffee. However you can't make a good cup with garbage grinders.

Why am I even arguing with a autistic poorfag who has never even tasted well prepared coffee is the mystery.

>>7389352
>I want to drink extremely bad coffee
Go ahead, I guess? Why are you even here?
>>
>>7387989
>WTF is the point

It's purely for show. A bitch to clean, too.
>>
>>7389368
I respect your right to shitpost and role play as a deluded gearfag who just can't get enough hobbies to give his life meaning, I really do.

How's that collection of J-nats going? You on a first name basis with Shigefusa's reanimated ghoul yet? You use DRC La Tache for deglazing or is that too pedestrian for you? Have you thrown out all your 3mm copper now that you found that stash of pre-civil-war 4mm copper?
>>
>>7389381
Nice, 3 posts in a row with strawman and ad hominem. Truly living up to the 'autist' title in your name. Have fun with your "coffee", if you can call it that.
>>
If you've spent more than $50 on equipment JUST FOR COFFEE, you're autistic.
>>
>>7389434
Just like you're autistic if you spent it on food, water, games, cars and anything technology related. :^)
>>
>>7388525
No, they produce a really terrible particle size distribution. You can still make tasty coffee with a blade grinder, or with a hario or porlex, but you can make something better with a grinder that actually works. The skerton is less bad if you do the bottom burr stabilizer mod, but even then. Their first problem is the floating lower burr - this allows the burr that moves to wobble around, pretty much making it impossible to make anything that is consistent. Second is the ceramic burr - ceramic burrs will make more fines and a less even distribution as well as wear faster than a steel burr. Third is that the burrs are conical, which produces on average a less even distribution than a flat burr.
>>
>>7389439
>games
Kill yourself
>>
>>7389434
>>7389439
Yeah why spend money at all? Just use it to wipe your ass, like any good poorfag would!
>>
>>7389138
These are good suggestions.

>>7389351
>Yes your mythos one is definitely going to make those starbucks beans taste great! Epic post friend!
He said that grinder is more important than BREW METHOD. Which is true, so long as your brew method is at least producing an even extraction. Coffee is a game of multiple parts, where the resulting cup is limited by the weakest part. Can't make shit green coffee taste good. Can't make shit roasted coffee taste good. Can't make coffee ground with a shit grinder taste good. Can't make coffee made with shit water taste good. Can't make coffee made with a wacky ass recipe taste good.
>>
>>7389434
That's stupid. I spend like 300 bucks on coffee beans a year, why wouldn't I put in the money to use them properly? A lido 2 will do an awesome job, at under 200 bucks. And it will last decades.
>>
Thanks for reminding me why I hate coffee people.
>>
>>7389466
Just because part of a statement is true doesn't make the whole thing true
>my coffee beans can tell if your grinder cost less than $1000 because I only buy the geisha beans I read about on /r/coffee
This is what gearfags ACTUALLY BELIEVE!
>>
>>7389511
Another autistic hyperbole. And you just admitted you don't know what a grinder is, which was obvious all along.
>>
>>7389517
Oh right
>if it cost $999 it's not a grinder but as long as it costs at least $1000 then it is a grinder
Good one! Keep it coming shitposter
>>
>>7389528
That's some supreme autism, I gotta give it to you. I guess someone is really bitter about having no money to spend.
>>
>>7389533
I guarantee you I make more and have more disposable income than you. Hence why I understand diminishing returns better: I have more experience with the buyfag lifestyle than you.

You are like those people who buy $5,000 cables, giving audio gear in general a bad name.
>>
>>7389542
Nah, you don't. And you don't know anything about diminishing returns because the only thing you own is an inconsistent piece of garbage with nothing else to compare, with never having drunk a single good cup in your entire life. And I'm still wondering where you got those hyperboles from when I recommended exclusively extremely cheap entry level stuff. Guess because you feel personally insulted that the Hario is incapable of making good coffee.
>>
>>7389548
>a hario is incapable of making good coffee
Lol right, you need to spend at least $330 on a techni worm mocha master because the human hand isn't skilled enough at pouring hot water :^)

Stay gear-crazy, gearfag, I sure wish I'd ever tasted real coffee but I'm too busy being jealous of your ability to spend 10x more than necessary just in case it makes a difference

This is you getting BTFO by a girl, btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDOB9mby_w
>>
>>7358708
I prefer to get my caffeine from the pure natural source of a monster energy can.
>>
>>7389562
>Lol right, you need to spend at least $330 on a techni worm mocha master because the human hand isn't skilled enough at pouring hot water :^)
It's fucking hilarious how you keep doing this. Do you have a brain defect? I'm legit curious.

You went from a 75-130 recommendation to 1000, then to FIVE THOUSAND and then back to 330. It's actually comedic.
>>
>>7389571
Oops, $330 mocha master isn't expensive enough to be considered "coffee equipment"

My mistake!

How much do I need to spend in order for the liquid that comes out of the bottom to be considered "actual coffee"? Is four figures a good base amount, or is there a formula involved for calculating the appropriate cost? Like the one they use for how much an engagement ring should cost?

For instance If I make $100k then would $10k be enough to spend every year? And how should I distribute it in terms of filters, water conditioners, and plastic penis pumps made in China?
>>
File: file.png (80 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
file.png
80 KB, 349x642
>>7389586
>>
>>7389485
Usually these are consistently the least shitty threads on /ck/. Usually.
>>
>>7389594
You're both fucking retarded
>>
>>7389511
Let me explain why a good grinder is good and important.

When you brew coffee, you are dissolving bits from the dry particles. Coffee is dense and porous. The part of the particle that is on the surface will be dissolved very very quickly. It takes more time for the water to get into the particle. When a particle is small, it has a lot of surface area per volume. When it is large, it has a small amount of surface area per volume, and a large distance for the water to travel to the inside. That's a little primer about particles, more of that after.

The reason that these things are important is because there is a "sweet spot" for a given coffee/water/tongue. This sweet spot is directly related to how much you dissolve from the coffee into the brewed liquid. Too much and it gets dry, hollow, overly bitter and really not nice. Too little and it will be sour, thin, grassy, and not nice. Hit that sweet spot (somewhere around 18-22% ext depending on your setup) and it will be sweet, flavorful, clear, have nice acidity, and be very balanced.

When these two ideas combine, you will see why grinders are so important. You want to get EVERY PARTICLE to that sweet spot, and not below or above it. This is only possible if every particle is the exact same shape and size. The less similar the particles, the less similar their extraction yields. If their extraction yields are dissimilar, you will have some particles giving up only their sour/thin/grassy bits, and other particles giving up their bitter/dry/hollow bits, and some right in the sweet spot. This will give you a less tasty cup.

Good grinders produce a very even particle size distribution, which allows you to get a very even extraction, which will give you a tastier cup than a less even extraction.
>>
>>7389643
There's no argument that grind is important. The issue is, how can I be sure I'm getting a "good grinder"

I think we've established that $1000.01 is the cutoff beneath which the cup will be less "tasty" as you so eloquently put it.

But is that in 2016 dollars or what? How do we account for 20% VAT in Europe? Shipping costs, do they matter? And what if the cup is something pedestrian like Libby, instead of something good like Cremaware? When will Zalto start making coffee cups so I can drink my caffeine like a human being? Etc.
>>
>>7389643
That guy is not gonna get convinced anyways as stubborn as he is, but a good post that will help others on the fence.
>>
I drink folgers and I think it tastes alright.
You people need to take your heads out of your collective asses.
>>
>>7389680
>I think we've established that $1000.01 is the cutoff beneath which the cup will be less "tasty" as you so eloquently put it.

I would not agree with that at all. I typically recommend people either grab the Encore (about 180CDN) or the OE Lido 2 (175USD). It makes more sense to buy something which does a GREAT job and will last a long time than to get something that does a mediocre (at best) job and will fall apart after a year or so. I've used some of those low end hand grinders (hario, porlex) and they really aren't any better than a blade grinder at most grind sizes. They also break really easy, I've seen loads of posts about people having broken or overly worn burrs after a few months, handles breaks, etc etc.

In the end, you have to find what is best for your budget and use. But I really don't think that those low end hand grinders have any use outside of maybe travel. The cost:benefit ratio is way off for them, and most people would be better off going with what I suggested.
>>
>all these autistic product names
suddenly I don't feel like drinking coffee anymore
bye /coffee/!
>>
Rip coffee thread
>>
itt: low energy fat boys need stimulants to get throught their day.

lmaoin rn senpai
>>
>>7389680
And as for "how can you be sure if the grinder you are getting is good?" That is actually tricky. The manufacturing tolerances for grinders (even expensive ones) is actually pretty bad in most cases. This means that you'll see variation from grinder to grinder, even with the same make an model. Grinder alignment plays a huge role in particle size distribution, but is only very recently getting the attention is deserves. The best way to buy a grinder is to have an idea of what make/model typically makes the most even distribution in your price range, and then to test out multiple copies of that grinder to see which is best aligned. You can do alignment on your own afterward, but you may not be able to fix all the problems that way. Plus it is tedious. I've spent probably 20 hours or so over the last few months aligning the burrs on a used EK43.
>>
>>7389755
How do you do an alignment?
>>
>>7389755
>EK43
I'm jealous.
>>
>>7389758
Really depends on the grinder. I haven't tried to align a conical burr grinder yet, so I can't help with that.

The way it works for a flat burr grinder (specifically the ek43 in this case) is like this:
Clean off everything with alcohol (burrs, carrier surfaces, everything inside that grind chamber)
Take the burrs off, and sand down the surfaces of the carriers with very fine grit (I used 1500) sand paper.
Clean with alcohol again.
Re-attach burrs (make sure everything is absolutely clean)
Mark the flat cutting surface of the stationary burr with a permanent marker all the way around
Put the thing together and turn it on
Slowly move the burrs closer together until you hear them start to touch (careful here, you could fuck up some expensive burrs)
As soon as they touch, move them away from each other and turn the grinder off
Open it up, look at the moving burr and find the spot where there is marker. This is the high spot.
Add tinfoil between the carrier and the burr opposite the high spot. (tinfoil can be different thickness, but I tihnk most is around 0.07mm thick - paper is thicker, but compressable)
Repeat until the highspot is where your tinfoil is, and remove one piece of tinfoil.

Then you have to align them radially as well.
Have the stationary burr loosened a tiny bit on the screws, and put a piece of thick card board into the slit in the axel where the shatter plate normally fits in.
Make the cardboard touch the inside of the burr, and slowly rotate the shaft.
If you hear that the cardboard is scraping at a certain spot on the burr that means it is closer to the shaft than the rest of the burr and needs to be moved away. Repeat until the scraping is even all the way around. Aligning the spinning burr is a bit of a crapshoot, because you can only really shim it against the carrier which may or may not be in good alignment with the shaft.
>>
>>7389772
If you live in a place that used to have a Second Cup, you may be able to snag one for CHEAP. I found 4 of them a few cities over. One was hardly used and was about 1500, the one I got was 500. Needed new burrs (like 700 after shipping and imports god damn) but it still was like 2grand cheaper than new.
>>
>>7389818
Yeah but even that is too much for me right now. I will probably get one SOMETIME in my life though. As well as a HG One which just looks fucking cool.
>>
>>7389838
Totally understandable. The HG one looks cool, but is actually really shitty. It uses Robur burrs, which are not good at even distribution. Not worth it at all.

For what it's worth, I also have a Lido 2. And that thing makes really good coffee. Not as good as my ek, but I had to use it for a few weeks when my ek's shatter plate broke, and I wasn't too bummed. For bang for buck, it kills the ek - even if you go the route that I did.
>>
I can't talk about coffee with my peers.

>notice my roommate has starbucks
>"we ran out of milk so I stopped on the way to class"
>ask her, "have you ever had coffee without milk"
>"probably... "
>" do you like coffee?"
>"I don't know anon, do I?"

She was clearly annoyed, I should just keep my mouth shut lol.
>>
>>7389946
There's nothing wrong with adding milk to really shit coffee m8. I wouldn't want to drink Starbucks of all things black.

I even add it to good homemade coffee sometimes, not to mask the bitterness but just because I like milk drinks. I only absolutely restrain from it when I brew a fresh Yirgacheffe or something.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.