[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can i learn to cook /ck/?I never cooked anything in my life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
How can i learn to cook /ck/?I never cooked anything in my life not even eggs but now i want to make my food and of course i could google it but people here are usually way more knowledgeable.So what im looking for are GOOD sites/articles/youtube channels for cooking or you can post here what you think i should know.
>>
>>7388854
You can start here https://www.youtube.com/user/jakatak69
>>
>>7388854
Basically, pick a recipe with simple ingredients. I'd say no more than 4 ingredients not counting oils and seasonings. Try cooking it. If you screw it up, eat the probably still edible failure, make notes on what was wrong, ask questions here, and try again.

Eventually you'll learn what flavors pair well, what herbs and seasonings go with what. Just keep doing it. It's not a book skill, it's a skill learned through trial and error.

Eventually you'll be able to take a recipe, make logical substitutions and additions, and even freehand based on what you have on hand.

Good luck. It's probably the most useful skill you can have after basic literacy.
>>
>>7388868
I forgot the other big thing newbies mess up. You can never uncook something. Lower heat for longer allows you to reach your desired doneness without overcooking. Exceptions are made for searing and broiling.
>>
>>7388866
>You can start here https://www.youtube.com/user/jakatak69

Fuck this guy. Just, fuck him.

Jack will teach you how not to cook.
>>
>>7388886
>being this much of a pretentious twat
Op, this is why you shouldn't listen to these faggots. Unless you're doing michelin five star cookery in wolfgang puck's hipster restaurant that costs $100 for a salad, it's not good enough for these wankers.

Jack will teach you how to cook simple food for normal people, anyone who says otherwise is trolling.
>>
>but people here are usually way more knowledgeable
Thanks for the laugh
>>
>>7388902
jack will teach you how to cook if you live in a housing development suburbia out in the middle of the desert and costco is the closest thing to gourmet available. jack is willing to use powdered garlic publicly and unironically. powdered garlic should be kept secret in the same drawer you put your high heels and unsent love letters
>>
>>7388886
What are you taking about? Jack is just an average guy trying out new recipes just like most people. He is learning with you in each of his videos rather than making boring pre-researched instructional videos.
>>
>>7388902
He will teach you how not to cook. I mean it. He undercooks shit all the time. Man's never seen a meat thermometer in his life. He's a board meme right up there with Joey.
>>
>>7388911
>I've never been to costco

Seriously if you hate cooking this much because it's not fancy enough for you, you should go back to getting a surprise 15% extra tacked onto your bill by liberal arts majors
>>
>>7388918
If he had a basic understanding of food safety, I would be fine with it. Some things should be researched. Saying undercooked chicken is :Beautiful" is just asking to make people ill.

And I am someone that hates dry chicken. But there are minimum safe temperatures. I'm not afraid of a little juice, but his is clearly not done. Use a fucking meat thermometer wile you are learning. Once you know what done looks like, you can leave it in the drawer.
>>
>>7388922
>I buy expired meat so I have to overcook it all the time
See what I mean, op? An aversion to rare and medium rare meat is a sign of someone who is afraid of cooking. So basically if you listen to jack you will get timeless advice from an adult who was born before stupid millennials who think they need a digital gadget to tell them when to stop cooking the food. If you listen to /ck/ you will get people who fear cooking, think everything should be overcooked, and won't even turn on the stove without a bleeping, blinking electronic whiz-bang pacifier that teaches them not to think about food, because they might have to actually learn something.
>>
>>7388944
It doesn't matter how fresh chicken is. It's a parasite issue.

I order my steaks bloody. I still want any exposed surface seared. I don't eat raw freshwater fish either. I'm probably just a huge faggot. Enjoy your parasites.

Minimum safe temperatures will leave your food plenty juicy. Beef is probably fine, so is lamb, as long as neither is minced. But pork, poultry, and freshwater fish need cooked.

Anything ground or minced needs to reach safe temperatures because every but of it has been exposed to potential contamination.

OP. Don't trust this board. do some basic reading on food safety. Most of it is common sense and requires next to no effort. But nothing will put you off of cooking faster than giving yourself explosive diarrhea.
>>
>>7388962
>parasites
>from commercially raised chicken
Yes you are a huge faggot

You also believe searing "seals in the juices", don't you

Op, don't listen to this guy. Listen to Jack, he will set you straight.
>>
Buy a Joy of Cooking cook book.

Watch Jacque Pepin videos on youtube.

& above all else... don't be afraid to experiment.
>>
File: 1450461150366.gif (1 MB, 413x192) Image search: [Google]
1450461150366.gif
1 MB, 413x192
>>7388968
Whatever. Troll away.
>>
>>7388975
She is so pretty, what's her name?
>>
>>7388978
Roberta Paulson
>>
>>7388927
i love costco, but im not so suburban that id buy substitutes instead of the real thing. this really is a suburban culture of prepackaged foods unironically replacing its original counterpart. microwavables, potato powder. ive never comprehended what people meant when they say "i cant cook" or "she cant cook" until ive seen that
>>
>>7388911
You do realize that powdered garlic has a completely different flavor profile than fresh, right? I mean, use it sparingly, but it's not a sin.
>>
>>7389005
God what a tryhard faggot

Garlic powder is not a "substitute" for garlic, it is a respectable ingredient in its own right

The only reason you hate garlic powder and not raisins, sun dried tomatoes, etc, is that the latter two are pretentious shit used by hipster chefs who hate america, and garlic powder is used by normal people cooking normal food
>>
>>7389011
like i said, i have it, and ill use it
>>
how have you never cooked anything in your entire life? how is that even possible? how old are you? what do you even eat?
>>
>>7389015
did you just call sun dried tomatoes pretentious? you trying to get whacked?

>captcha asked for storefronts. all had italian names
>>
Thanks for all the advices guys i really appreciate it
>>7389024
I just never had the need to since my parents always do it for me.Also im 19 but i dont think that really matters
>>
File: hipsters.jpg (78 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
hipsters.jpg
78 KB, 500x375
>>7389030
>implying sundried tomatoes are not hipster as fuck
do you only drink italian soda, and not normal soda?
are your tortilla chips any color other than yellow?
do all your friends look like this?
>>
File: greenbeancasserole.jpg (55 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
greenbeancasserole.jpg
55 KB, 800x450
>>7388854
All petty bickering here aside, the position you're in is the position most of us were in at one point. We wanted to cook, but didn't learn at our mother/grandmother's side, so we had no idea what the fuck we were doing. So we learned through trial and error.

You can learn a lot from books, google searches and youtube. Even better would be hanging around someone you know who cooks and cribbing what you can from them. (I learned lots from friends' immigrant mothers).

One thing to keep in mind: it's nice to have benchmarks for your cooking. If you're setting out to make a particular dish ideally you want to have tasted some good examples of that particular dish so you know what you're aiming for. Because unless you luck upon fantastic recipes your cooking will only be as good as the foods you know. So you want to taste the best examples of food you can find. So you don't end up eating pic related.

Then there's another skill to develop, which is shopping and managing a fridge/larder. This is a matter of applied knowledge, creativity and discipline. It's the ability to shop with a few dishes you want to make in mind, then figure out what other things you make later to use up whatever leftover ingredients you have before they go bad. This takes time to learn, and becomes a matter of lifestyle (you cook instead of just getting things to eat), but it's where cooking becomes economical - you use your skills to eat better than going out for less dollars. For most folks it takes years to get to this point. But every journey starts with a single step.

Just set your sights higher than pic related and you'll be fine.
>>
>>7389109
ahahaha dat pic

just put fried onions on it, it will work. right McDonalds ? right Tim Hortons ?
>>
>>7389052
Those aren't hipsters
>>
File: 1453921766747.jpg (418 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453921766747.jpg
418 KB, 1920x1080
>>7388854
this thread is further evidence that we are in desperate need of a sticky
>>
>>7389220
No. We are in desperate need of people not acting completely helpless and retarded.

All we would ever need in a sticky are two links:

www.google.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp8vd4X3IGg
>>
File: 1455381853011.jpg (3 MB, 1622x2250) Image search: [Google]
1455381853011.jpg
3 MB, 1622x2250
>>7389220
we need a swag jack hat sticky tbqh

>2016
>not dippin and dabbin in deadpool hats
>>
File: 1452500805816.png (1 MB, 1267x675) Image search: [Google]
1452500805816.png
1 MB, 1267x675
>>7389283
what do you think his face looks like when he cums?
>>
>>7388854
Get a cookbook and cook recipes
>>
>>7389293
A face only a mother could love
>>
>>7389428
If his mother had loved him, he wouldn't be begging for likes on youtube.

This is the equivalent of the girl who strips because daddy didn't love her.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.