[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is eating fast food cheaper than cooking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1455584525002.jpg (503 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1455584525002.jpg
503 KB, 1280x1707
is eating fast food cheaper than cooking?
>>
>>7384131
No.

And your pic gave me an erection. Fucking annoying. Why didn't you use something food related.
>>
>>7384131
>is eating fast food cheaper than cooking?
Not entirely true, but in some cases, it might be cheaper when all you care about is the bottom line and not your nutrition.

It is however, never healthier vs cheaper You can find niches which are good deals, like a free unlimited soup salad bar with dinner, and then taking your completely uneaten dinner home for planned leftovers. Shopping at more than one store, stocking up, buying in bulk, all can add to savings. Eating peasant meals of lower cost darker meats, plus rice, beans, and cheap veggies like onions, potatoes, etc can be inexpensive options for a majority of meals.

Foods which are fresh/perishable will always cost more, though. But, you can take advantage of loss leader items like buying milk at the pharmacy, or freezing buy one get ones of meat, and then using them economically. Consider if you live alone and if you pay more money to heat up an oven, or stove 3-4x/day, and opening and closing a fridge, food waste that you toss, and cost of things like ziplocs vs reuseable containers, and all of that. There is something to be said for spending $1 on ramen or $3 at McDonalds. Soda is a huge drain when out, but nothing at all from 3L at the dollar store to 15cent cans at Wal-Mart.

If you like variety, and have more epicure tastes, it can be harder to find food on a budget that is healthy.
>>
Short answer: can be.
Long answer: in order to meet healthy nutrition requirements whilst not overdoing your intake of trans fats and saturated fats, it's possible, but not easy.
>>
Can be depending on your requirements. Need 700 calories to fill out your bulking diet? A $1 mcdouble is probably cheapest. Then again, you could just take shots of canola oil if you're really going for absolute cheapest solution.
>>
Not at all.
The meme of 'beans and rice' is 100% true and as long as you aren't an white american, it can taste great.
>>
File: chicken-sensation[1].jpg (66 KB, 550x293) Image search: [Google]
chicken-sensation[1].jpg
66 KB, 550x293
>>7384131
I'm Dutch so I'll be taking products from my own country as an example, you lala homo man. Look at pic related. A Chicken Sensation menu at McDonalds will cost you €6.09. It feeds one person.

Let's go to a supermarket called Albert Heijn for the homecooking ingredients. I choose this supermarket on purpose because it's a high-end one, perhaps the most expensive in the country.

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi197183/ah-scharrel-kipfilet
Chicken filet: €2.34

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi128940/ah-barbecue-minikrieltjes
BBQ flavored mini-potatoes: €1.00

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi41080/ah-italiaanse-roerbakmix
Stir-fry vegetables mix: €1.00

Chop the chicken into pieces, marinade them in some herbs... you know what? Fuck it, let's include the herbs too.

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi164627/ah-mix-voor-kip
Chicken herb mix: €0.89

Chop the chicken into bits, marinade them in the ready made spices, throw everything in a pan and boom: dinner that can serve... TWO people. For the low, low price of... €5.23. That's slightly cheaper than the Chicken Sensation menu, yet you'll be able to feed two people with it.

Of course you need to buy supplies like olive oil (which'll cost you what, a buck or two per liter?) and pans and the like, but those pay themselves back over time as you can last years with pots and pans and can last a month or two with a bottle of olive oil even if you cook every day.

Healthy, homemade meals are far, far less expensive than fast food. The difference is that fast food is... well, fast. It's for lazy people. And yes, when it comes to fast food a burger is cheaper than a salad. But a homemade salad has them both beat in price.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.