[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I use coconuts in cooking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 2coconuts.jpg (250 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
2coconuts.jpg
250 KB, 1600x1067
How do I use coconuts in cooking?
>>
>prepare into smaller pieces
>put in thing you're cooking to add flavor

or

>put food or drink into it
>>
>>7366255
coconut bread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRoiDBkPcy0
>>
Open the coconut (pic related). Now you have the liquid (aka coconut milk) and the white flesh.

You can drink the liquid as is. It's also commonly used in southeast Asian cooking, especially Thai (curries, soups, etc.) and southern Indian.

If you cook the liquid with some of the flesh and then strain it out you end up with coconut cream, which is very sweet and also fairly fatty. It has the same uses as above in curries. It's also commonly used in desserts in all sorts of cuisine--Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc.

The flesh can be grated and used to top salads or in desserts as well. Also macaroons.
>>
>>7366257
>coconut bread
>put the coconut on the bread
wa-la
>>
>>7366272
At the farmer's market I go to they have em still in the green skin and they'll open em for you and bag the meat and juice separate (with spices if you want) in about 3 seconds flat, with a machete. I can't even do the technique in the picture. I hurt my wrist, it never cracks, or when it does it's not a nice slit but very irregular, then the water comes out on the wrong side and if I manage to catch it in something it's got shell residue in it.

Damn coconuts.
>>
>>7366337
Green coconuts are immature and used for different purposes than the ones like OP posted. They are pretty easy to open with a machete because they're softer.

As for the cracking method shown in that picture--the key is the number of taps, not how hard you hit it. You don't have to hit it hard at all. If you are hurting your wrist then you are hitting it too hard. Just keep tapping and rotating the coconut.

>>water comes out on the wrong side
do it over a bowl

>>shell residue in it
you have a sieve or strainer, right?
>>
I dont think ive ever see the brown coconuts in markets. I tend to only see the white, young coconut ones.
>>
I'm using coconut milk for a rice pudding right now
>>
You don't.
>>
>>7366351
>green coconuts are immature
Are you sure we're on the same page? I mean, the outside shell is green, and the inside shell is brown albeit a lighter color. It's the plant stuff that's green.

I tend to use a sieve and a strainer when I try this. But the picture omitted those to make a point of "how simple" it is, I guess.
>>
>>7366543
When the outer husk of a coconut is really green, the inner shell is usually still white/tan until it matures more, comes off the tree and the outside dries out for a while. When you pick a green coconut early enough, the shell inside is still developing and the meat is kind of jelly-like. It's pretty tasty too when it's that immature.
>>
>>7366255
Real answer? you don't.
Coconut oil is too strong of an oil to be used in most foods. There's also tangential evidence that it's bad for you, but that's secondary. What it comes down to is that every single thing that you make with coconuts - confectionary or otherwise - comes out as gimmicky dishes that you wouldn't eat more than twice.
>>
>>7366566
Fuck you whitey. Go back to eating chicken tendies. Don't listen to this guy. There are literally hundreds if things yoy can make from coconuts. They are known as the tree of thousands uses foa a goid reason.
>>
>>7366566
OP asked about coconuts. Not specifically coconut oil.

>>7366255
Freshly grated coconut in oat porridge tastes delicious and provides extra energy but, imo, should only be used on days when you know you're going to work it off because there's lots of fat in it.
Compliments blueberries well.
>>
mix it with your bread crumbs
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.