[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mushrooms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13
File: mushroom_PNG3217.png (2 MB, 1276x1262) Image search: [Google]
mushroom_PNG3217.png
2 MB, 1276x1262
So after hating mushrooms for most of my life I'm finally accepting them as our neutral flavored fungal overlords that can take on the flavour of whatever you cook them in. But what's something that I can cook that will make me say "fuck yeah I love me some mushrooms"?
>>
File: 2014-03-15 20.06.19.jpg (166 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2014-03-15 20.06.19.jpg
166 KB, 640x480
>>7361914
Melt some butter in a pan, throw in some mushroom slices and salt generously. Then cook over medium heat for about half an hour.
The mushrooms are gonna lose most of their moisture, and also most of their weird texture that puts some people off. They'll basically consense down to half the size, but ten times the flavor of their original selves. Season those with pepper and thyme or something and just eat them on bread, on pizza, or whatever.
That's how you really get around to liking mushroom flavor. Pic mostly related.
>>
>>7361914
Sautee in red wine, minced garlic, and butter, then top a steak with them.
Very easy, delicious, and your date will think you're an amazing cook

Wala
>>
I usually do a mix of worcestershire sauce and soy sauce with black pepper, do it on high heat and sautee them so they get tender and the moisture cooks out of them. They're great with steak.
>>
i don't get the vast majority's issue with mushrooms. i was a hella unhealthy kid, but i loved the fuck out of some muhrooms. once i got a can of mushrooms on halloween cause the lady was out of candy and asked if there was anything else she coulc get for me... fuck yeah.

anyway, if sauteed mushrooms don't make you love them then you are beyond hope. mushrooms sauteed with onions are absolutely divine... add some eggs and you've got a god-tier meal. don't forget the salt and pepper, obviously. bonus points for garlic.
>>
>>7361914
Fry lots (or as much as you want) in olive oil with a bit of garlic and basile. Once they're cooked to your liking add cream to the pan and let it simmer a bit until the cream takes on the grey of the mushrooms. Serve over spaghetti, linguine or gnocchi with Parmesan or mozzarella.
>>
File: varieties-enoki.jpg (19 KB, 280x359) Image search: [Google]
varieties-enoki.jpg
19 KB, 280x359
>>7362007
also try mixing a bunch of different mushrooms, I like enoki mushrooms especially
>>
Saute mushrooms, finish with lemon juice, parsley then serve atop toasted sourdough with a poached egg.

Not fucking about here
>>
>>7362040

>parsley

DILL
>>
mushrooms, garlic, white wine, cream, parmesan and parsley with some tagliatelle is really nice
>>
>>7361914
I would say it depends on the mushroom.
>>
I sautéed two whole portabellos for the first time tonight

Was awesome
>>
>>7362075
Oh yeah the reminds me, you can use portobello's as an alternative to burger patties
>>
>>7362086
kill yourself
>>
>>7362089
no
>>
>>7362042
I like the cut of your jib
>>
File: image3.jpg (696 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image3.jpg
696 KB, 2048x1536
these guys steaks
they grow on straw
>>
>>7362086
It's actually pretty delicious, it was the first time I enjoyed eating mushrooms when I was a kid.
>>
>>7361914
I love mushroom, but mushroom soup sucks. Don't waste the time making it, but its not so horrible if you can buy it at a restaurant.
>>
Basic Bitch "Recipe"

drizzle Garlic oil on mushrooms
bake in oven
eat
>>
>>7362009
This.
Different mushrooms have different flavors. Except button, Italian brown and Portobello. Those are all the same shit. Try some oyster, maitake, or lions mane for a real experience. Start with just butter, or butter and milk and a pinch of salt, and work up from there. You'll find something you really.
>>
>>7361914
Make a milkshake but put 3.5 grams of psilocybe cubensis in it
>>
>>7362634
This is interesting, whats the setup here? Is it your pic? 0 results for the picture. You fill the bottles with straw/hay?
>>
>>7361923
U forgot the cream, which is almost mandatory.
>>
chantrelles

t. oregonfag
>>
>>7361963
>wala

it's voila you retard
>>
File: P1011022[1].jpg (340 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P1011022[1].jpg
340 KB, 1600x1200
I pretty much only see mushrooms as an ingredient or a side. What are some good dishes where mushrooms are the main course?
>>
>>7363079
>not knowing this meme
At least lurk a bit.
>>
>>7363079
Seeing people spell it like that used to irk me too, but the more I see it, the more sure I am it's just a ck meme
>>
>>7363098
sorry I m banned from my cooking subreddits I usually browse
>>
>>7361914
>I'm finally accepting them as our neutral flavored fungal overlords
>neutral flavored
Only if you're using shitty mushrooms like button or crimini and not cooking them well. Most mushrooms, especially less flavorful ones, need to get really brown to be really good. Give them plenty of space in your pan, hit them with some butter, and cook until they stop giving off water and get nice and golden.

Also try other kinds of mushrooms. Button and crimini mushrooms that you commonly get in grocery stores are incredibly boring compared to most varieties. Try king oysters- they're cultivated so they're available year round. They're much more flavorful and have a really firm, meaty texture. Cut in half lengthwise, cross-hatch the cut side, coat with oil and/or butter, salt and thyme, and roast at 400F until really brown. Branch out from there, but remember that many mushrooms are only harvested wild- they grow in symbiotic relationships with trees- and as such they're limited in quantity and seasonal, and to an extent limited by your region. Chanterelles or hedgehog mushrooms are both slightly sweet, flavorful, and less 'spongy' than, say, button mushrooms are, but they're delicate. Then there's things like pine mushrooms that are firm and incredibly strong-flavored.

>>7362647
>hating mushroom soup
You're just making it badly. Steep a bunch of dried mushrooms in your stock to add extra flavor, cook your mushrooms down thoroughly to intensify their taste, add as little excess fat as you can- I tend to like to puree my mushroom soup for this reason, as it adds body without adding cream or anything like that that's going to weaken the mushroom taste. I usually reserve some sauteed mushrooms to add in after the pureeing and straining is done. Also using good mushrooms helps. A good simple chanterelle mushroom soup- literally just leeks, dried chanterelles, veg stock, fresh chanterelles, butter, and seasonings- is pretty god tier.
>>
>>7361914
For buttons, cremini, portobello shrooms just roast them. Oil, salt pepper & into the oven.
I like to use the juice that comes out of them to make a sauce or flavor a soup
Nice mushrooms like lions mane, maitake, trumpet or even oyster just need to be sliced, sautéed & seasoned. Some of the thicker ones like lions mane & trumpet are great with a pat of butter then grilled
>>
>>7361914
It's probably a plebeian choice, but my early mushroom love and go-to for introducing them are the little crappy ones jarred in some kind of water brine thing.

I'd dump the entire thing into a small pot just below medium heat, wait for it to boil up, and add some pepper.
>>
File: stew.jpg (36 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
stew.jpg
36 KB, 620x349
>>7361914
Mushroom stew is pretty good
>>
Sorel mushroom risotto is my spirit animal
>>
>>7363095
http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/04/hong-shao-kao-fu-braised-wheat-gluten-mushrooms/

This is pretty close, it's a Chinese vegetarian dish with gluten balls, fried tofu, mushrooms, and boiled peanuts all braised in soy sauce.
>>
do i have to wash my mushrooms before i cook them
i mean if i'm cooking them long enough or hot enough all the bacteria will go away right
>>
>>7363399
have you seen what mushrooms grow on? I wouldn't eat them unwashed tbhfam

plus its not hard to at least rinse them real quick either...

バカ外人
>>
>>7363399
I mean as long as you don't mind flecks of hot manure in your food, then yeah heating it's enough
>>
>>7363463
That's what gives it that earthy flavor tho
>>
>>7363399
Wipe them down with a very slightly damp paper towel and clean any crannies (gills, holes, folds etc) with a fine brush.
>>
>>7361914
>absorbs the flavor
u mean overpowers everything else unless it's soaked in meat juice
>>
>>7363572
you probably aren't cooking them fully
>>
File: 1449416399346.jpg (122 KB, 1038x679) Image search: [Google]
1449416399346.jpg
122 KB, 1038x679
>>7363079
>>7363079

>being this new
>>
>>7361914
just had some gorgonzola sauce with veal and mushrooms and the mushrooms were the highlight. its an earthy flavor, which basically means dirt and shit, but really it works so well with rich dishes and flavors. the texture takes some getting used to but damn is it tasty, even by itself with some butter. if you dont ever like it, thats fine. theres plenty of other great foods out there, but for me mushrooms are the best. i drive an hour to lancaster area to get some top notch mushrooms in mushroom county, somewhere near gap PA i think
>>
>>7363625
http://modernfarmer.com/2014/05/welcome-mushroom-country-population-nearly-half-u-s-mushrooms/

i recc visiting if you live remotely close.
>>
>>7363623
minasan (everybody) begins somewhere anata ha (you) were atarashii (new) at some point too (*˘︶˘*).。.:*
>>
>>7363635
nuke yourself
>>
This is the recipe for the best mushrooms I have ever eaten, comes from a very good Spanish restaurant near me

Ingredients

60ml olive oil

500g small portobello mushrooms

Sea salt

80g butter

1 tbsp thyme leaves, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed with salt on a cutting board

2 tbsp sherry vinegar

Method

Preheat oven to 240C. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy, ovenproof frypan. When oil is hot, add mushrooms, skin-side down, and cook without turning for 5 minutes so caps are well browned. Season with salt.

Cut butter into small pieces and add to frying pan with thyme and garlic. Toss mushrooms around the pan, coating them in butter.

Put pan in the oven and roast mushrooms for 4 minutes. Remove from oven, toss mushrooms and return to the oven for another 4 minutes. Return to stovetop and cook briefly over high heat. This process of roasting and frying ensures the butter, herbs and garlic cook into the mushrooms, enriching the flavour.

Add sherry vinegar, season and cook for a minute to reduce. When ready to eat, tilt frying pan to drain liquid to one side, to avoid serving mushrooms with too much oil. They go well with any grilled red meat, or with a quiche and salad.
>>
Well, first of all, usually all mushrooms should be boiled thoroughly before even starting to cook anything with them. Well, technically not all but most. You should realise that mushrooms take in all the pollution and crap, so it is a wise safety measure even when the mushroom is edible just like that. Then again, if one has a favourite spot and all the, he can prolly estimate the quality and such without even tasting. I myself like to always be sure.

Previously from that you, you of course take your mushroom knife and you mushroom brush and remove the dirt and bad bits. Then, the actual cooking bit, mushrooms stay good for about 1 to 3 days after picking in a refrigerator. The taste reduces, though. Mushrooms should be always prepared as fresh as possible. I personally usually season and dry some species and cook some right away. There's nothing like fresh mushroom salad.
>>
File: exz41c3.gif (888 KB, 500x286) Image search: [Google]
exz41c3.gif
888 KB, 500x286
>>7361999
>once i got a can of mushrooms on halloween cause the lady was out of candy and asked if there was anything else she coulc get for me
Nice trips though
>>
>>7364090
>Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
Thank you Hirojima-san
>>
File: 20150619_165358.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150619_165358.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Mushrooms like golden chanterelles are delicious on just about everything.
>>
File: 20150619_172741.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150619_172741.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7364203
Finished product. Sorry for the shitty pic quality.
>>
File: 20150619_162932.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150619_162932.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7364206
The original shrooms.
>>
File: mushrooms-on-toast.jpg (135 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
mushrooms-on-toast.jpg
135 KB, 1280x960
Any mushrooms + bread of your choice + butter + seasonings and you've got something simple and delicious
>>
Only mushrooms I've ever liked are the baby ones in ramen, sauteed morels, and chanterelles finely diced and sauteed with onion and garlic.

>>7361923

I like this idea. I learned to enjoy tomatoes and onions by caramelizing them first. Maybe I'll try this.
>>
>>7364212
Fuck you now
I've gotta go make that
>>
tfw nobody is family likes mushrooms and they shit on you for liking it.
>>
>>7363127
I did all, I know how to cook. I just didn't like it
>>
>>7364203
>>7364206
>>7364209
Shit looks bomb as fuck senpai
>>
OP here. I've turned into a mushroom. Help
>>
>>7364203
Are those the same as eierschwammerl?

I remember eating them in Austria, but never saw them outside the country
>>
>>7363104
I'm convinced it's only one guy. Midwestern, middle-aged overweight, who thinks he's funny. Could be a middle-aged soccer mom who has a Fargo accent, or a cat lady. But I think it's a dude because cook-along posts with the term look like a single middle-aged man. I still get annoyed, but it's starting to be replaced with sadness and existential horror.
>>
File: happy meal.jpg (1 MB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
happy meal.jpg
1 MB, 1840x3264
>>
i made an asian style tofu mushroom soup last night. not much of a cream soup person, i much prefer this mushroom soup to the traditional kind.
make a soup base of chicken stock, soy sauce, fish sauce and sesame oil. just a splash of each, taste as you go. add looots of minced garlic and ginger, I use maybe 1TBSP of each per serving (large servings though).
have that simmering, and add cubed tofu, onions, some greens (I like napa cabbage and snow peas), and a bunch of thin sliced mushrooms. last night i used cremini, shiitake and enoki, was great.
>>
>>7361914
Bacon
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.