[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make good stew?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Question-mark.png (35 KB, 749x946) Image search: [Google]
Question-mark.png
35 KB, 749x946
title
>>
>>7325549
Stew is a very forgiving thing to make. Google a few recipes and pick one that looks good to you or pick and choose different aspects from all of them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEypWKzU1Q
>>
I'm not sure how to break down a good general purpose stew. But here's a specific beef stew recipe that works really well for me:

Get your beef in full cuts, not "stew cuts". Those will be too small, and you'll have no idea what they're from. I like chuck roast for stew.

I cut it into steaks, season it 24 hours ahead (salt and pepper), then sear it in the stew pot over ripping. After it's rested a few minutes I cut it into the big chunks (1.25 inches maybe) that I'll use later.

I saute my aromatics in a separate pan, in the rough order of how long they take to cook (eg, carrots for a bit, then celery and mushrooms, then onions, then garlic). For stew I tend to cut onions in half circles, rather than dicing it.

I deglaze the stew pot, usually with a bit of sherry or wine (do not use cooking wine, over salted filth; deglaze basically means boil just a bit of liquid on top of some seared brown bits stuck to the bottom of a pan, scrape with a wooden spoon while boiling). After that I add either home made chicken stock or some Better Than Bouillon in water plus gelatin; either way, I add a shit load of Worcestershire, and sometimes some fish sauce. I usually add a small can of tomato paste. This is when I add seasonings. Salt, pepper, home made chili powder, some herbs (fresh thyme, oregano, dried bay leaves, usually). Then potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes, and the reserved beef cubes and their juices.

I prefer gold potatoes for, well, actually almost literally everything. Reds will keep more texture. Russets will break down and kind of thicken the soup a bit more.

I simmer on the stove for like, 45 minutes. Until the potatoes are fork tender.

Actually, my beef stroganoff is similar, though I use no potatoes, sirloin, less stock, no carrots or celery, a shallot, and temper in a pint of sour cream near the end.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.