[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you own a deep fat fryer? id love to get one, but im
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: deepfat.jpg (19 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
deepfat.jpg
19 KB, 460x276
Any of you own a deep fat fryer?

id love to get one, but im afraid of becoming obscenely obese.
>>
as long as you use it with moderation, it should be no problem. I believe it is recommended to use it no more than once a week.
>>
I have one, doesn't see much use. its expensive to keep getting oil for it
>>
>>7314433

Yeah, but I dont really like using it because it makes the kitchen and me stink of fried oil. Its good for making chips (fries), anything with a batter. But the oil retains the flavor of what you cook in it, so my oil stinks like fish kind of, which means I cant use it for making a thing like doughnuts, and to change the oil is such a fucking hassle cause theres so much of it, it takes up like 5 bottles or something, I just cant be bothered. I suppose I use the deep fat fryer about 10 times a year maximum.
If you have a smaller fryer and better kitchen than I do, I guess you would use it more.
>>
what's a decent brand to get?
>>
>>7314449
don't throw out the oil every time you make something
>>
>>7314433
Just buy a dutch oven instead, you can use it to deep fry plus a bunch of other shit. You don't have to get a french brand either, Lodge makes a good one for cheap (compared to like Le Creuset).
>>
>>7314433

Scotland practically invented deep frying and it's still there. Don't worry about it too much.
>>
I have a $20 fry daddy jr and it works like a charm.

You literally just fill it up to the line, plug it in, and in less than 10 minutes it heats up to 350.

It's really small but for 1 or two people it's great. It also has a plastic lid so you can just leave the oil in it.

Made deep fried white castle and tater tots a couple weeks ago.
>>
I used mine much more often when I was too lazy to cook proper food. Now I only use it for fries or chicken every now and then. I also had the same smell problem as >>7314456 but solved it by frying on my balcony instead.
>>
>>7314498
but what am I supposed to do with all that slightly used oil after?
>>
I use mine for chips. I just don't like the way they cook in the oven much. Maybe that's just mine, because I have an electric. However, you can't beat a fried chip, you really can't.

I use the oil for much longer than I should, as I just sieve out the crap that gets lost in it.

The major thing for me is how greasy it makes the cabinet sides and backing board by the extractor. I have to give it a thorough wipe down after, it's horrible.
>>
>>7314517
Yes but the life expectancy in Scotland is roughly that of a Jew in Warsaw in 1940.
>>
>>7314449
Just filter the oil after you've used it.
>>
>>7314433
I got one make it for donuts, fish&fries fried chicken churros. I have the presto one on amazon has 5k reviews all 4.5 stars I highly recommend it. Max temp is 375 but if you unscrew the sensor and let it float in the oil it can reach 410 for the best fries. Temp drop has only been 10 degrees when I fry and it quickly comes back up in 30 seconds
Use in moderation.
>>
Ex Denny's cook here. Used these so much at work I got myself a $40 Walmart one. Great for fries, diced potatotes (any root veg really), fried chicken, nuggets, fried dumlings, hush puppies, pancake puppies, anything in batter, esp seafood.

Use good fry oil, get it to the right temprature and the food absorbs less oil. Has to do with surface tension of the oil and the water inside the food quickly steaming of and pushing out. Also they teach us how to shake off a fry basket without splashing yourself when shaking off the oil then dumping it all on a tray covered in paper towels to abdorb what oil is left with everything spread out.

At Dennys we changed the oil daily to keep it clean. At home I use it a few times in a row. Usually filtering out the oil thru a cheesecloth to catch all the little bits and cleaning the frier then refilling it with the oil.
>>
i would also like to get one and i also worry about becoming obese

i find the giant of hassle of doing it in a pan limits how often i eat deep fried foods
>>7314565
pour it into some sort of vessel?

really, anon?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.