[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a full pound of high quality curry powder. What are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
I have a full pound of high quality curry powder.

What are some varieties of curries that actually use curry powder? Too many curries are tomato and cream-based.
>>
what does high quality curry powder mean? i bought some once and it tasted overwhelmingly like cinnamon/a spice i couldn't identify and it just wasn't good. i'm guessing the only difference between the shit i had good curry powder would be the ratio of spices to one another. so what is high quality curry powder exactly? from what i can tell spices i've bought from different brands all generally seem to have the same quality.
>>
>>7303840

most indian currys dont even really use the yellow/orange curry powder, and rely on garam masala and house blends. Thai curries use it a littl ebut rely on ginger/lemongrass/coconut more.

Really the onyl two that comes to mind is japanese curry and jamaican curry. And japanese curry sucks. look up jamaican curry
>>
File: 15695_XXX_v1.jpg (483 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
15695_XXX_v1.jpg
483 KB, 2000x2000
>>7303854
OP here, I worked for a few months in a specialty food store.

The owner was an old Indian dude who would order massive 50lb sacks of spices. We would use an industrial food scale to portion and seal spices into little bags with our Store's name on them, like pic related.

We carried several curry blends, including Sri Lankan, Indian, Bombay, and Madras. We sold all in 100g baggies, except for the Madras. People demanded the Madras curry powder so often, we made it in 450g bags. 9 times out of 10, the Madras curry powder would always be sold out. Customers would tell us how they drove in from nearby towns to get the Madras stuff, it was crazy.

The Madras curry powder was far more expensive than the other curry blends, but, it has a far richer and superior flavor. (Though, I never tried the other blends)

>inb4 nice blog post
>>
>>7303900
this is /ck/ if any board warrants blog posts it's this one. thanks for the info op. so was it just the ratio that was really good? do you know what the ratio was? what's the name of this store? were there ingredients in it that specific blend that weren't put in the others? a quick google has made me realize some curry powder blends come in paste form and some are sealed in metal cans which could attest to a higher quality. i don't know many you're the one with the professional experience shed some light
>>
Make a thin soup with lentils carrots onions tamarind juice and okra. Curry leaves would be a plus.
>>
>>7303941
It was not considered a spicy curry blend (that was the Indian curry blend), but, I don't recall the ingredients.

The store has the most ridiculous website here:
www.gallowaysnewwest.com/

I only worked there for about 4 months. I'm tempted to call them and ask the owner what's in the blend. He's a pretty chill guy that works there everyday.
>>
>>7303941
Anyone who confuses quality OC/story as a blogpost just comes off looking like a retarded newfag who needs to return to /b/.
>>
>>7303840
>I have a full pound of high quality curry powder.
And, it'll last for a few years. Calm down on the urgency.

I most use curry powder in dips. I recreate the nice sauce from Kitchen Kitchen with curry powder, sour cream, mayo, mustard powder, mango chutney, fresh lime zest and juice. Awesome on some chicken, with or without rice and pita.

Jamaican curry, which is tumeric-heavy like your picture, spices up ground beef, with onion, garlic, cilantro and maybe some dried fruit or herbs too. Stuff that into some curry-ized pate brisee for some great "patties." Can also try your hand at making some roti.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.