[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exotic meats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: Kangaroo_Meat.jpg (140 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
Kangaroo_Meat.jpg
140 KB, 1024x680
What are some uncommon, rare, or even exotic meats you've eaten? Which one is your favorite? Where do you get it? How do you prepare it?

If you've never had meat outside of beef, pork, or chicken, then this thread isn't for you.
>>
>>7277310
Spent a couple years living/working in Singapore and Hong Kong. Gotta say the two most uncommon meats I've tried were quail and goat (mutton). Quail was essentially a miniature version of roast duck that you see in Chinese restaurants in terms of taste and appearance, though it was a little bit more dry than duck. I've tried goat in various forms such as soups and curries in Singapore, and my guess would be that it's cooked in such a way to minimize the gamy taste. Overall it has a stronger taste than lamb, and that's even when its been stewed in spices for hours. Bear in mind that in SE Asia the term mutton is used interchangeably to refer to goat.

In the West you can go to any Chinatown or Little India you can probably find quail or goat dishes, respectively, though I can't guarantee on its authenticity.
>>
Living in CA, I've had most of the big western game meats - venison, elk, bear, rattlesnake. All those deer and elk variants are fricken delicious. I'll always take as much as I can get from hunting friends who like to share (or have too much).
Bear was definitely my least favorite, would not buy a bear shoulder again. Way too dark and oily, almost a dank flavor.
Rattlesnake was fine, but it's too bony and stringy for my taste. Much prefer the alligator tail meat I've a few times at cajun places - that's almost like a nice pork roast.
You can buy most of them on-line if you don't have another connection.
>>
>>7277310
Here in Queensland you can pretty much get roo meat easy from most supermarkets. It's cheap and healthy so it's a pretty good deal as it's price is similar to 5 dollars for half a kilo, although it is rather gamy and can be quite tough if not cooked properly. It can be ground into mince for your burgers, mince or patties if that's your thing too. Some nice fillets will serve as nice "healthier" substitute for beef as it has next to no fat.
>>
When I vacationed in West Point Liberia, I was offered boiled penis by a street vendor. It was chewy and tart.
>>
>>7277336

so it tasted like home cooking to you?
>>
File: 1452742194849.jpg (4 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
1452742194849.jpg
4 KB, 223x226
>>7277358
oh fuck
>>
Kangaroo is pretty good. just like gamey beef.

Can't find many places that do offal and other parts of animals like that.
>>
>>7277310
Used to live in California (high desert) and had rabbit and quail.
Had Elk, too but that's not all that exotic but delicious.
Is bison exotic? Not really, but literal perfection when cooked right (crimson rare)
>>
>>7277336
>Liberia

So was it human penis?
>>
I had venison, deer, elk, etc. and liked it.
Hare meat is one of my favorites, usually prepare it on Easter.
Wild boar is GOAT.
Horse is too tough and tastes kinda like plastic to me.
>>
Frog is like a better chicken. So good but a bit of a pain to eat cuz of the bones.
>>
Live in Western NY. Dad is a big hunter so we always have a lot of venison. Mostly he just used ground venison to cut the ground beef in order to save money. Anything with beef was almost always 1/2 venison. He also made some awesome deer jerky.

He also shot a bear once, but I couldn't eat more than a bite. It was so greasy and nasty
>>
>>7277336
>Eating anything from a street vendor in fucking Liberia

They left ebola victims in the street senpai
>>
I think that in America rabbit is rare to eat, right? Here in spain is as common as any other meat.

Also, favourite: dry cammel.

Other meat I tryed: buffalo, whale and horse. Is horse rare?
>>
Living in Japan for my tour. More kinds of fish than I've ever heard of, but I'm a native desert rat, so I distrust fish automatically. You're putting your life in your own hands when you do Korean.
>>
>>7277310

Strangest is probably either Kangaroo (which I eat frequently now days) or Crocodile.
I've also had eel which was sort of tasty.
I eat a fair bit of goat, I think it strikes an interesting middle ground between beef and lamb and goes great in curries.
None of those are too exotic though.

I've been wanting to try venison and camel for a while, just haven't gotten around to it.
>>
File: Jackalope_family.jpg (85 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Jackalope_family.jpg
85 KB, 400x300
Was in Wyoming and had jackalope (farm raised) chili. Kind of stringy.
>>
Been living in Switzerland for 6 years now, since their beef/meat is both expensive (between 25 and 50 dollars a pound of beef) and unsavory as fuck they have an extensive market of alternative meats like horse, ostrich, emu, etc... which cost less but do not readily improve the taste. Ostrich is pretty ok, considering its red meat poultry, and horse is like low grade beef, rarely eaten a piece that would make go "wow, this is some tasty horse".

Also I particularly enjoy frog legs, either breaded and fried or in a stew. I guess also snails are a kind of meat, and fuck are they delicious, although usually their taste relies heavily on the seasoning.
>>
>>7277562
Buffalo and rabbit are the only things you can legally eat. Only dirty people tend to eat rabbit
>>
File: welsh rabbit.jpg (81 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
welsh rabbit.jpg
81 KB, 630x420
Had Welsh Rabbit once. Pretty bland.
>>
>>7277624
Also of course rabbit and duck, which are delicious in slow cooking stews or "au vin". Also I've never had geese per se but Foie Gras is god tier
>>
ate ostrich jerkey once, a bit too seasoned to actually tell if I like the actual taste of the meat, also what google translate calls turtledoves my father caught in our backyard with an airgun sometimes
>>
Buffalo
Alligator
Elk
Quail
Ostrich
Eel
Deer
Rabbit
Frog
Crawfish ( I live on the gulf coast, that’s not exotic here, but in a lot of other places it probably is)
Nondescript snake (this was in Vietnam, not sure what kind of snake it was)
Snails
The most exotic thing I’ve probably eaten is rat (which was also in Vietnam) It tasted and looked similar to quail. Actually not bad.
>>
This thread is making me realize that it doesn't seem that there's a lot of variety in meats usually available around the states, or am I wrong? I mean I consider game meat to be pretty common stuff in Europe per example
>>
My dad was a hunter so he often brought home boar, deer, and mallards. I remember being a little kid and he fed me deer heart. It was good.
Alligator tail is really delicious, especially deep fried into nuggets.
Rabbit is meh
Horse is tough and doesn't taste good at all
If they count, frog and snails. Frog legs genuinely taste like chicken
I think it was manta ray. It was in France so I'm not sure of the translation. It was good at the start but there was too much meat and bones and it got overwhelming
Duck and quail aren't really strange but they taste nice
Local supermarket sells kangaroo but I've never tried.
>>
>>7277663
forgot snail, its so common here that I didnt remember it
>>
Probably the weirdest thing I ever tried was owl.
Tasted kind of musty, hard to describe.
>>
File: 1446027544036.jpg (67 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1446027544036.jpg
67 KB, 540x540
I've never had bad frog legs

Grilled, deep fried, doesn't matter. Delicious cross between chicken and fish in flavor and texture.

On a side note: America treats lamb like an exotic meat. I've only had it a few times due to it being so difficult to find. I can get frozen alligator meat at my local supermarket, but lamb is only available around the holidays and expensive as fuck shipped from Kangaroo land.
>>
I've eaten every meat available in the United States, Canada and Mexico. I've been everywhere.

I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

I've been to:
Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana,
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana,
Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa,
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa,
Tennessee to Tennesse Chicopee, Spirit Lake,
Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake.

I've been to:
Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika,
Schefferville, Jacksonville, Waterville, Costa Rica,
Pittsfield, Springfield, Bakersfield, Shreveport,
Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport,
Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina,
Pasadena, Catalina, see what I mean-a.

I've been to:
Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado,
Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado,
Larimore, Atmore, Haverstraw, Chatanika,
Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika,
Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City,
Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.
>>
>>7277316
>goat (mutton)
Those aren't actually the same thing, I've had both. Mutton is an adult lamb, and goat is just goat.
>>
The most exotic thing I've ever had was fried gator nuggets. If I hadn't been told it was alligator, I would have been absolutely convinced it was chicken.
>>
>>7277310
powdered deer penis
>>
deer: very tasty
whale: nothing special
Kobe beef: incredible
lamb: my favourite
goose: very yummy
pheasant, pigeon, wild boar
horse
>>
>>7277804
Gator is tasty, but it's not seen as "exotic" here in Florida. Literally every seafood restaurant here has gator on the menu.
If you go to the fish camps on the river, you can get gator that was caught that day.
>>
>>7277310
I regularly kill and eat rattlesnakes.

Breddy Gud honestly.

Easy to kill, skin, clean, and cook.
>>
File: 5365esfggt.jpg (147 KB, 1652x1268) Image search: [Google]
5365esfggt.jpg
147 KB, 1652x1268
This stuffs pretty good actually. I use it in my chili
>>
I've had ostrich, buffalo, elk and deer which are somewhat rare in the US depending on where you live. All are delicious.

I really want to start hunting so I can get duck and deer meat regularly.
>>
>>7277762
You've gone to fucking Shreveport (which is a massive shit hole), but not New Orleans? Lol dude
>>
deer
>>
I make duck on a regular basis.
Deer/Elf/Wapiti when I can get it
Rabbit if I feel like spending too much money.

I once had moose that was great. And bear. Bear is completely different and I can't describe it (beside, I've only had it once and it was years ago)
>>
I live in New Orleans but have traveled the world in my short 20 years.
Meats I've had that are interesting
>alligator
>goose
>duck
>caribou
>quail
>deer, but I wouldn't consider that exotic unless you don't have deer
>crawfish, again not that exotic for our region
>oyster, again not that exotic for our region
>ostrich
idk maybe some I can't think of
>>
>>7277310
I am curious about kangaroo meat. Anyone know where I can find some in the US? I assume they export it to here, but I have no idea where to find some.

Coming from a long line of rednecks and hunters, I've had just about everything listed here so far. I'm a big fan of deer, bison, elk. Those kind of meats are the best.

Anyone tried snapping turtle? It tastes kind of like frog and alligator but it is not tough and chewy like gator meat.
>>
File: 1442712132346.png (131 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1442712132346.png
131 KB, 350x350
>>7279719
>Elf
This guy has eaten the rarest meat. Go home, everyone else.
>>
>>7277645
only britbong kids will get this
>>
>>7277645

But that's just a picture of toast! :^)
>>
Horse meat prepared raw with a splashing of sesame oil and egg yolk. Grilled iguana
>>
Venison (white tailed deer) and goat are the most exotic meats I've ever had.
>>
the first time I had frog was also the first time I had jellyfish, chicken feet, fish intestine, and pig blood as a condiment all in the same meal

fucking chinese people, man
>>
>>7277562
Rabbit is only rare to eat if you can't shoot it.

Honestly, rabbit tastes a little more neutral than chicken breast because it's so goddamn lean. I just make a stew outta 'em.
>>
File: Snapchat-6125016534150266483.jpg (499 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6125016534150266483.jpg
499 KB, 1080x1920
Kangaroo is alright. Pic related. It's very available in Australia and comparable to beef prices. I'm not a huge fan of the taste but I guess it's good to buy as red meat to get out of the whole factory farming system. To my knowledge kangaroos aren't farmed and they're everywhere. It's better to eat something that had a decent life and eats grass and whatever, I guess.

I made goat meatballs the other week. They were okay. I've had spatchcock.

Kangaroo sausages taste like chicken.

I once minced wild boar with bacon and made sausages.

Umm... I've eaten cow heart. Many times. Lamb heart too. Lamb brains and sweet breads have made their way into my fridge too.

Rare meats aren't super available in Australia. The only thing I could easily get that I haven't had is Emu. But it's retardedly expensive. I mean, really very ridiculous.
>>
>>7280634
Oh yeah I've had rabbit too.

It was fucking shit.

I tried to make sausages and they tasted bland (admittedly probably my fault).

I tried sous vide and it was tough as shit (probably mine as well)

I'd probably try stewing them next but honestly I can't be bothered. They're like $20 each and there's no meat on them. If I was hunting it would be a different story but for now they're not worth my time.
>>
>>7277652
Goose is amazing, probably my favorite meat. Cooked to a nice medium rare it's amazing. I'd say the only meat that comes close is Moulard duck.
>>
>>7280641
Rabbit is very lean, you probably should have cooked it longer/added fat. I had some amazing rabbit when I went to a Cyprian restaurant.
>>
>>7280723
*Cyprusian
>>
>>7280641
>paying $20 to eat rabbit

No, I wouldn't either. We usually brain them with lower diameter rounds and stew them. They don't particularly taste good on their own, but deboned, fried, and stewed (in some of that bunny stock) is a good meal.
>>
I had a squab. It's like a little bird. It was darker than chicken with a color closer to duck meat. The place I got it from cooked it rare. Some parts were almost red. It was pretty good. Definitely gamy but not like duck. I'd eat it again.
>>
Elk, dear, pronghorn, dove, quail, pheasant, rabbit, pronghorn, wild boar, and buffalo.

>>7277462
No, wild boar is pork, Goat is goat
>>
>>7277310
Well /ck/ I actually farmed and grew about 12 ounces of water bears and then compressed them into a patty and made a burger out of them. I got to tell you /ck/ that was the worst burger I have ever had.
>>
>>7277310
>aligator
meh, might have been the cook
>horse
better than beef but you need the right butcher
>kangaroo
meme
>various brains
stay away
>any game
god tier if you don't overcook it
>skate
horrible
>baby shrimp
flavor town
>>
File: nothankyou.jpg (38 KB, 540x359) Image search: [Google]
nothankyou.jpg
38 KB, 540x359
>>7277336
>Liberia
>boiled penis
>street vendor

nope to all that
>>
Buffalo was epic.
We made fucking amazing nachos with it, 9/11 would eat again if I wasnt a poorfag.
>>
File: porcupine Michigan.jpg (607 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
porcupine Michigan.jpg
607 KB, 1280x960
>>7277310
>What are some uncommon, rare, or even exotic meats you've eaten?

Squirrel
Rabbit (wild and farmed)
Venison
Buffalo (burgers)

Had porcupine once, that we shot while camping (with raw baby cattail roots as a side dish) but it was a big old one so the meat was tough as hell, plus we were drunk and grilling it on a camp fire.
>>
I've eaten wallaby, it makes you fart a lot.
>>
>>7277762
my nigger, literally listening to him right now by coincidence

>>7279704
get your shit together
>>
>>7277327
When you say "cheap." You mean "not that cheap," right? Because it usually works out at over $10 a kg.
>>
Shark
>>
>>7277310
non-halal
>>
>>7281153
$5 for half a kilo
$10 for a kilo

is reading comprehension that fucking hard you cunt
>>
I've had dog before, it was basically a shitty beef.
>>
>>7281153
We pay more for groceries in Australia compared to US. That's on the cheaper side for meat, its not unusual to pay $30 a kilo for beef steak.
>>
>>7280861
lmao that sounds disgusting
>>
Venison is delicious. Either eat it straight off the grill or put it in a stew.
>>
I've had moose.

It's sort of like beef but with this weird 'earthy' aroma to it.
>>
I once had shark. Pretty good
>>
File: dwarfsx0.jpg (7 KB, 211x228) Image search: [Google]
dwarfsx0.jpg
7 KB, 211x228
>>7279719
>>7279744

Back to work, Urist.
>>
Whale: not too good, greasy
Horse: delicious
Gazelle: lean but food
Elk/venison: great, if a bit gamey
Gator: meh, chicken-ish
Blowfish: nothing special
Rabbit: sometimes good, sometimes not
Snake: not too nice, rubbery
Buffalo: wonderful
Goose: Amazing
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.