[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here use cast iron teapots? Do you use them as kettles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: asian-teapots.jpg (55 KB, 610x460) Image search: [Google]
asian-teapots.jpg
55 KB, 610x460
Does anyone here use cast iron teapots? Do you use them as kettles? Brewing teapots?
>>
>>7248662
> inb4 epic le cast iron meehm desu senpai

I don't think cast iron is a very good material for teapots though. It's nice for cookware (in my opinion), but it doesn't have real benefits (except for aesthetics I suppose) in teapots.

Clay is a nice material for teapots.
But glass is fine too. I like being able to see how the tea is steeping inside the pot.

Also, kettles are a waste of time/gas. Just get an electric water boiler (with temperature control if you're serious).
>>
>>7248711
They retain both flavour and heat, which are both beneficial to tea brewing.

But it is pointless to use one of these for heating water.
>>
>>7248717
Clay has the same flavor retention abilities.
I suppose you have a point with the heat. Although it would be annoying that you can't just place it on your table after brewing without getting burn marks on it.
>>
>>7248722
Well, providing that the person doesn't boil water in it and only uses it for tea brewing, the teapot would never be hot enough to leave burn marks.
>>
just buy a $10 electric kettle

it's much more efficient
>>
>>7248743
But not aesthetically pleasing at the slightest.
>>
>>7248757
Then buy a $30 electric kettle made out of metal or glass or both
>>
>>7248662
It seems like everybody in this thread is under the impression that cast iron teapots can be heated to boil water.

They cannot, there is an anti rust coating on the inside that will leak into your water if you do this, runining both the tea and the pot.

The point of a cast iron teapot is that you can fill it with boiling water, let the water cool heating the pot, pour it out and then brew tea which will stay hot for ages.

They arent really much better than ceramic unless you prefer the look.Personally, I prefer gaiwan brewing with a temperature-control electric kettle.
>>
Also if you want to season a pot yixing clay is much better
>>
>>7249642
Things the correct answer.

Cast iron is to keep the teat hot, not for boiling the water
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.