[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /ck/ so I've taken all your wisdom on how to eat cheaply
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
File: 1427382279772.jpg (494 KB, 2025x2662) Image search: [Google]
1427382279772.jpg
494 KB, 2025x2662
hey /ck/ so I've taken all your wisdom on how to eat cheaply and since my sister and I have about .50$ to eat per day for the next two weeks, I need some ideas on what to make. I already have the rice and beans, but I need something to add to it since we can't eat just plain rice and beans every day. Also I have no clean dishes since we have no hot water to wash them with, so I need it to be able to be made with nothing but a few forks and three small plates. that's all I have clean. I guess i can clean my skillet and two small pots with cold water, since it'll be heated up that should be fine. There is also no heat in my apartment so I need it to be able to be cooked quickly, as when I set warm food down it gets cold really quick, it's winter time here and you can see your breath in the kitchen, so you know food is losing heat rapidly.
So any ideas on what I can add to rice and beans or other cheap shit, not ramen though my sister and I can't eat it because of emotional reasons, there has to be other cheap things out there than ramen.
>>
Where do you live and how old is your sister? Also is she a normal weight? I can maybe help your situation.
>>
>>7220712
Indiana, she's 23 and yeah we both are normal weight, probably too skinny actually. We're in this situation because she was an idiot and a year ago got a DUI cause she doesn't think when she drinks and her and a friend wanted taco bell. Then she got a good paying job but quit cause she broke up with her bf at the time who worked there too and she couldn't take how awkward it was. Told her to fucking suck it up and deal with it but emotions mean more to her than logic. So now I'm stuck paying rent and bills. Utilities are getting shut off cause her new bf who was our roommate moved out after they broke up and the utilities were in his name for some reason. It fucking sucks and I wish I could be like you're on your own, but she's my only full blooded family and I don't want to see her go to prison or something, since I'm trying to keep her away from alcohol and drugs, but damn it's annoying being inconvenienced all the time due to her shit.
>>
Vegetables and eggs. Check for marked down meat at your grocery market or buy some canned meat/fish if you feel it necessary.

Also you can totally survive on rice and beans for a while if you have to. I can understand not wanting to, but you'll be fine if it comes to that.
>>
>>7220868
Can't use eggs, or I could but I'd have to use them in the next few days, electric is getting shut off until the 14th when I can pay the deposit to get it turned back on. Unless it is safe to keep eggs and stuff like that out in the room, it's like 50 degrees f in the kitchen I think? I could leave it outside but then people would see it and probably steal it.
>>
bread, butter and cheese is a super quick breakfast i have sometimes... butter and cheese staple foods too. I'd top rice and beans with either.
I like adding lentils when i make beans, they're easy for me to digest.
are you able to boil water to wash dishes? thats not enough to work with really.
>>
Yes, it's safe to keep eggs at room temperature.
>>
>>7220722
Cuck to his sister. Lol.

She makes excuses for everything I bet. Let that bitch suffer.
>>
>>7220884
I could today, it's a bitch boiling that much water to keep it hot, since by the time I boil a pot the water in the sink is cold. It took me 4 hours the other day to boil enough water to take a bath in and it was only slightly lukewarm when I had enough water in the tub. Soon I won't even be able to boil water, though.
>>
>>7220896
You are literally retarded.
>>
>>7220892
Sometimes I wish I could but I can't just abandon her, plus with this apartments rent I couldn't pay it all on my own anyways, we need what little money she makes to buy things like gas for the car and food, all my money is going to rent and next paycheck it's to get the utilities turned on. Plus she has like 4,000$ in debt, not to mention her car payments which has like 12k left on it. Plus we're in debt to like every family member so we can't borrow anymore.
Plus she's terrible with money and buys shit we don't need like 5$ ear rings.
But back to the point, reaally cheap meals. Ideally they'd be under the 50 cent budget. I"ve tried looking up meals but everyone assumes you have a fridge and a stove and things cost like 1.20$ for a meal, that is way too expensive.
>>
>>7220903
for wanting to shower? I had things to do, I hadn't showered in 3 days cause I didn't wanna spend hours boiling water.
>>
>>7220891
Not in America
>>
You really need to go to a social services agency.
>>
Like, is there a food pantry or something? Can you apply for food stamps?
>>
>>7220896
i think you could boil one large pot, and it'd be hot enough you could probably dilute it with cold if you needed a bit more.
I hope you're not being lazy about things, that logic is odd. cooking good and cheap is a bit of work.

get a giant bag of frozen perogies
>>
but really, hit up a food bank, this is exactly what they're for
>>
>>7220921
My sister refuses cause she's on probation and "doesn't need any of that drama"

>>7220925
There is one food pantry around but it is only open one day out of every month and it's not until end of this month it opens again. As far as food stamps, we won't get them for a week and a half or so.
>>
>>7220942
You should go by yourself, then. You're suffering, too, and they're there to help.
>>
>>7220928
Not being lazy, I work as much as my job allows me to and I've applied for a better one which is 12 hour shifts 6 days a week, sister works at subway doing like 4-6 hour days a few days a week.
I was planning on making homemade perogies, I think they'd be easy and cheap?
>>
> I can't eat it because of emotional reasons

nope.
>>
>>7220961
when we were little our mom used to beat and starve us, when we did get food it was dry ramen blocks...so yeah, emotional reasons.
>>
>>7220965
You were abused and obviously need a lot of help and support, so swallow your pride and go to your local social services agency. You don't have to work through this alone.
>>
>>7220969
we were planning to but then she got paranoid. I'll go myself if it'll help us, not sure if we'll make it til then though. we've been eating just white rice with salt for a few days now, we've gotten real tired of it so that's why I thought maybe someone here knows of extremely cheap things to make with rice and beans that doesn't need refridgetated or cooked. even cans of tuna are too expensive right now for us tuna is like .78c a can. frozen veggies are kinda cheap but we can't cook them.
fuck i just thought maybe someone will have some ideas that I wouldn't ever think of that are like woah, of course, why didn't I think of that.
>>
>>7220988
Do you have any friends willing to help you out? Are there churches nearby?
>>
>.50$

Stop pretending this is actually an American, or otherwise even half way believable.
>>
>>7220991
no, I moved to the other side of indiana after a house fire, at the same time my sister got a DUI and lost her place so we both needed a new place to stay, moved to a new town like 20 miles away from our parents but we don't knoiw anyone down here who would help us. churches, maybe, I haven't checked into that, neither of us is religious and wouldn't they not help because she has a dui and is an alcoholic?
>>
>>7220693
buy oatmeal, pasta, cheap cereal, cheese, tinned beans
>>
>>7220994
I'll fucking post pictures of my situation if you want, I'm not trying to troll, why you think nobody has ever been this bad off? some are way worse off than I am right now so what is unbelievable about my situation?
>>
>>7220998
Can we see your sister's butt?
>>
>>7220998

>what is unbelievable about my situation
>.50$

Only a yuropoor would write that.

It wouldn't even occur to the most uneducated trailer trash junkie to put the dollar sign at the end, let alone put a zero at the end of a number beginning with a decimal point.

Fuck off.
>>
>>7220998
if you've got such a meagre amount to spend on food.. then I have to ask, how are you paying for the internet?
>>
>>7220995
Church people really love hard cases, so if your sister is willing to get help someone would definitely try. Just try to go to the government first or look up local charities that might be less closely associated with a particular faith if you don't want to deal with church stuff.

There are a lot of people who really are willing to help you if you ask. Your sister's parole officer might help, but going behind her back might be counterproductive.
>>
>>7221027
Maybe go to a Catholic church instead of a random tiny independent Protestant one. Anything with a more national organization is better.
>>
>>7220880
>safe to keep eggs and stuff like that out in the room
It is.
>>
File: 20160101_132302.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160101_132302.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>7221018
It's my phone data plan, but that ends on the 6th. Took pics to prove I'm in the USA, I just write my money like 0.00$ always have, always will.
Took time cause had to take pics, then get them to my computer then edit shit out.
>>
File: 20160101_132039.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160101_132039.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>7221037
pic of fridge
>>
File: 20160101_131908.jpg (2 MB, 3544x2344) Image search: [Google]
20160101_131908.jpg
2 MB, 3544x2344
>>7221039
thermostat, in F not C
>>
File: 20160101_132122.jpg (1 MB, 1644x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160101_132122.jpg
1 MB, 1644x2322
>>7221043
pantry, had to find a way to resize this one, not good at that stuff
>>
pasta is really your best bet with some tomatoes/tomatoe sauce
>>
the only church i've noticed round here is jehovas witnesses, not sure about them, but I'll look around, I don't even know how I'd go about asking a church for help anyways, who do you talk to and what do you say? wouldn't they have their hands full helping homeless or poor christians instead of two poor non-believers who haven't been to a church in years?
>>
>>7221039
got any bakery outlets around town? a nice 25 cent loaf of crappy white bread would probably go well with that strawberry jelly.

looks like you also got sauce for that pasta, if you really can't do rice.

unfortunately, in my experience, everything heavy in carbs will taste kinda shitty until you can get some substantial protein in you.

good luck to you, but unfortunately it's going to suck all over for a while no matter what creative ideas people give you.

>>7221150
i don't know how you'd go about it either, but one thing i do know is that church folk love trying to convert nonbelievers.
>>
>>7221185
unfortunately the jelly is pretty much all gone and the sauce is so old I'm not even sure why it's in there, even if it wasn't bad, I don't think there's much of it left. My sister buys things like those bagels and fancy whole wheat bread and then never touches it, I've been eating it just toasted but toasted bread gets old real quick and isn't filling at all.

they wouldn't be able to convert us but if they would help in some way then I wouldn't have any issues letting them try
>>
make some tortillas, refry some beans, and you can make burritos. they'd be bland without salsa or dairy, maybe spring for a tomato.

have you ever written to companies saying their product was stale or just not good? half the time they send coupons. unfortunately that takes time, but its something.

post on craigslist/kijiji asking for food donations.
>>
>>7220942

Your sister is literally retarded and obviously can't take care of herself. Get food stamps OP, if you're lucky they'll give you $100 in the next few days and then once a month for food.
>>
>>7221233

For some reason they won't give me expedited food stamps, I have to wait a week or so to get them, the card to be mailed and all that.
She just makes some bad decisions and has a bunch of debt. She's got another boyfriend now, days after the old one left, she's been sleeping there in the warm and taking warm showers, I bet she's eating over there too.So I guess it's actually only fair if I get .30$ a day and she gets .20$ a day, right? I should get 50% more than she does.
>>
if you've got paypal post it and ill send you a bit to tide you over the week until your food stamps come in

id do the same thing for my sibling desu, shit sucks
good luck anon
>>
>>7221427

Save your money and post more pics of grapes and rocks; you'll be helping more people.
>>
>>7221427
I wonder what you think of as "a bit."
I've seen where you eat after all.

Nice gesture anyway. (not OP)
>>
>>7221213

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest. I usually toss in some chopped onions sprinkle with salt, and put in a daub of taco sauce.
>>
>>7220892
Suffering for your blood family isn't the same as being a cuck. If you're not capable of doing so, you're a subhuman who should have been aborted.
>>
I hope the beans are dried beans that you cook yourselves.

Canned beans are way overpriced.
>>
>>7221427
Thanks but I couldn't accept it. Even if I did have paypal, I don't even like getting food stamps but I figure I've been paying taxes so some of that assistance is mine, that's what I tell myself at least.
>>
>>7221472
They're dried, I figure all I need to do is soak them and rice just needs water that has come to a boil, that is easy enough without a stove.
>>
>>7221485

I usually cook them in a crock pot.
>>
>>7221485

I've heard of fixing rice by putting the rice in a thermos bottle and pouring in boiling water. Cap and leave it for an hour or two and then open it.
>>
>>7221514
I generally do 50:50 rice:water and bring water to a boil then turn off heat and add rinsed off rice, stir it up, cover, wait 10 minutes.
>>
Make sample runs. Go to different grocery stores and try all their samples. You can even get a slice or two from the deli and say you don't like whatever it is but thanks anyway. That may only work once or twice though.
>>
>>7221433
not much eating out money for a while, maybe ill cook something nice after exams in jan

>>7221475
well that is their intended purpose, for folks who've fallen into troubled times
could add some store brand tomato paste or instant chicken stock to the rice for flavour
>>
>>7221457
Shes a serial loser stop being a slave to societal norms
>>
>>7221545
I can't drive, I only have a learners permit, sister has a dui and we might not even have enough gas to get back and forth to work. I do work in a grocery store but we don't do free samples in night shift, idk about day shift but I doubt it. Best part of working there is I can easily buy like a single banana for lunch or something really cheap like that.

>>7221551
>>
>>7221560
Hey she made one mistake and drove drunk to get some taco bell. That doesn't mean she should be forever condemned to be poor and have her entire family turn away from her, does it?
>>
really try to make some friends at work
>>
>>7220693
Not really the best time of year for this, but you could try fishing or poach some small game. I seriously doubt you'd get in much trouble for hunting squirrel or nutria if you're really that hungry.
>>
>>7221596
I'm friends with everyone on night shift, but they all have their own problems right now, nothing this bad except for the one couple who is losing their house.

I tried to boil some water but my stove is giving me an error so I looked it up in the manual and it says the sensor is disconnected. everything in this apartment is fucking broken piece of shit
>>
File: wiredpussy-shae-1.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
wiredpussy-shae-1.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>7221593
Honestly, people who are caught drunk driving lack long-term planning skills and taking away their drivers license simply encourages them to disregard the law even further. It's like lecturing a dog for shitting on the carpet, that shit just doesn't work.

Instead they should treated like an animal: upon arrest, they should be immediately tortured and humiliated in a painful, public, memorable, but non-physically damaging way. This would provide valuable behavioral reinforcement, for people who lack the capability of using their heads to avoid doing something stupid. Let emotion and fear do the work.
>>
>>7221607
Head over to /out/. Lots of tips and tricks for staying warm and cooking with minimal resources. You'd be surprised what you can do with a soda can and a pail of paint thinner.
>>
btw if you can swallow your pride, there's always dumpster diving

http://trashwiki.org/en/Main_Page
>>
>>7221610
I disregard what anyone says after they start with the word "honestly". It implies you have not been honest up until then or plan to not be honest in other things you say. For the truly honest person should have no need to say it.
>>
>>7221607
none of them have big enough problems that they can't weather giving you some money so that you can literally survive. you can make it up to them later.
>>
>>7221615

(-_-")
>>
>>7221621
and complain to your landlord about the stove. they might be compassionate and help you, too.
>>
>>7221625
nah my landlord is a dick, he has it in the lease that any problems with the place after the first month are our responsibility to fix, we don't like it but this was the only place we could find after we got evicted from our last apartment cause my sister was drunk at night (we were both night shift at this time) and being loud, noise complaints got us evicted.

>>7221621
They won't, one of them even owes me 15$ from a few months ago but never has it,

>>7221612
Never even knew this was a board, thanks. I'll check it out and ask them for some tips
>>
>>7221636
I don't know anything about Indiana tenancy law, but some things in your lease could be unenforceable or illegal. Go to the local social services office and they can connect you to legal aid.
>>
>>7220693
People who are trying to take care of others even in hard situations makes me reflect on my NEET life.
>>
>>7221636
No problem. /out/ usually has a homeless thread, too. Not that your situation is quite that bad, but there's probably some overlap.
>>
how old are you OP?
>>
>>7221789
26. I left the year of my DOB uncensored in that one pic.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.