[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some dishes that take a full day or most of the day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: venison-chili-ck-780398-l.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
venison-chili-ck-780398-l.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
What are some dishes that take a full day or most of the day to prepare, but that don't take more than that. Not looking to marinade or brine anything overnight.

I feel like cooking something somewhat time consuming today, but I don't have tomorrow free. Right now I'm considering
>Chili
>Spaghetti, meatballs, and tomato sauce
Would make everything from scratch except the spaghetti
>Roast beef

Any other suggestions
>>
>>7211843
Anything that requires a deep, rich stock (but ya gotta have the pieces and parts already). I love the soup route, or a rice dish with the stock. A bean dish could also be good (how long does it take to make rice and beans, or ham and bean soup, or refried beans or something?), or anything that requires a raised bread. Make some cinnamon rolls to go with your chili. If you make the spaghetti sauce, you could do eggs in tomato sauce at the end, or yeah, meatballs do take some time. Cookies can be fun or any christmas candy that requires time because of preparation. Bacon wrapped dates/chesnuts or something like that can take a little time, too. But I only think that because I'm used to preparing them in very large batches. Homemade pasta! That's a nice one. Give it some time to sit and stuff.
>>
>>7211848
Thanks for the suggestions, soup would actually be a good idea, but I've been eating soup nearly everyday for the past week.
>>
slow cooker carbonara
>>
>>7211843
>>Roast beef
Might get a standing rib roast on post holiday markdown special today. Or a ham, or a turkey breast. You can use the ham bone (freeze it) later to do your new year's black eyed peas seasoning, or a 15 bean soup in the crock pot down the line.

A whole brisket roast is indeed an all day endeavor to get fall apart tender, and it's easier to slice on day 2, and just warm in the defatted gravy.

Fun do ahead is foil packet dry rubbed ribs in the oven. 250F for 3-4 hours. Then park in the fridge, unwrap tomorrow, and baste over with sauce both sides, broiling or grilled 5 minutes til glazed. If you dry rub them kind of neutrally, you can break up the slabs of ribs into an asian glaze, or something fun like jalapeno-guava jam, and just serve with your favorite steam-in-bag or other quick sides.
>>
>>7211869
I actually do have access to a slow cooker. What are some other good things to slow cook?
>>
>>7211908
Stews, roasts, pulled meats, chili, any number of bean dishes. Basically anything where you don't care about vegetables getting soggy.
>>
Ragu Bolognese

Look up AB's "authentic" one. Had a lot of fun making it, lots of attention needed but good if you like space to yourself to listen to music and get meditative

Makes a shitload too, freeze that shit and enjoy it for weeks
>>
>>7211843
Black bean soup, if making that don't forget the epazote.
>>
Choux pastry, make some awesome eclairs.

Or Vol-au-vent's. I always prefer them with Choux
>>
You can just about make danish pastries in a day.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.