[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else on /ck/ adore egg foo young?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 640x480
Does anyone else on /ck/ adore egg foo young?
>>
>>7199773
>Does anyone else on /ck/ adore egg foo young?
It's comfort food. A local place near me does a really light version filled with huge mushrooms and lots of scallion and water chestnut. I get it when I'm sick...white rice, egg foo young, won ton or egg drop soup.
>>
never had it

never even seen it
>>
Oh hell yes. If a chinese joint has a good, rich gravy I find myself ordering it almost too often. My favorite is when it's loaded with onion with just enough cabbage to hold the shape. Get me a roast pork egg foo young and some fried rice and that's about the best you can provide for me.

Apparently some people in my area love to pour a shitload of the gravy over rice even if they don't actually order the egg foo young. I don't really get that because I'd rather get a big forkful of rice with the omelette and let the gravy that's already there be the lubricant.
>>
>>worked in a chinese restaurant, was amazed at the sheer amount of grease in that dish, they would basically squeeze it after cooking to try and get out the fryer oil. Also people would be shocked at just how much sugar is in most Chinese food dishes (general tso's, mongolian beef, etc...
>>
>>7199813
Gravy over rice is a Hawaiian thing
>>
>>7200091
gravy over rice is an American thing.
>>
The only time Ive ever had this was in the university cafeteria. As you can imagine, it wasn't a great experience. I don't know if this item lends itself well to cafeteria style preparation, but yuck, it was not good.
I'd give it a second chance from a decent Chinese restaurant... but when I'm at a decent Chinese restaurant, there are 50+ other things on the menu that I love, making this item a pretty hard sell.
Is this difficult to make right, or would any old Chinese place do it more or less okay?
>>
>>7199961
You know that actually doesn't surprise me when I think about it

I remember in high school we used to make teriyaki lie sauce and basically thicken it with sugar

>we were fat fucks
>>
>>7200140
Most Chinese places will serve decent variations of it. The one difference I notice is with the sauce it comes with. Some use more of a sugary terriyaki sauce while other do the just normal gravy.
>>
>Chinese food
>>
File: Large_3649_for_2493.jpg (40 KB, 728x415) Image search: [Google]
Large_3649_for_2493.jpg
40 KB, 728x415
>>7199773
Yea, it's pretty good stuff. Had some at a pretty damn nice Chinese restaurant yesterday (am vegetarian, and can't eat tofu). Veg egg foo young + rice = all you need.
>>
I like and dislike it at the same time.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.