[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVR 6w_RFlDs >3 hours to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: chefsteps.jpg (257 KB, 842x431) Image search: [Google]
chefsteps.jpg
257 KB, 842x431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVR6w_RFlDs

>3 hours to make fried chicken

Fucking cooking hipsters trying to shill their sous vide tools. Chef Steps is so fucking awful.
>>
they've been shilling sous vide long before they had any equipment to actually sell.

speed clearly isn't the selling point of sous vide you might want to learn about what it's actually for before you mouth off about it.
>>
>>7189974
I just don't see the point when you can make perfectly delicious fried chicken in like 20 mins without having to fuck around with some retarded tool.

Sous vide seems so pointless to me for most jobs unless it's like steak or something. It's like, hey you know that way to cook something that people have been using for years that is totally fine? Let's make it take a lot longer and make it way more complicated. Why? Well it's hip and everyone else is doing it, that's why.

I don't feel like it's worth the extra time and complication when you can get the same result from just using the tried and true method.
>>
>>7189974
>what it's actually for

it's called logistics
>>
>>7189981

>Sous vide seems so pointless to me for most jobs unless it's like steak or something.

steak is the most boring, redundant application of sous vide. it makes for a good photo, but no one really cares about the marginal grey band on a steak cooked in a pan or pan roasted. steaks aren't thick enough or tough enough to really benefit and you can actually overcook more tender cuts at low temps, just in a different way, they go mushy.

i agree that fried chicken is also not something that directly and significantly benefits from sous vide, but the huge reduction in frying time is actually potentially quite useful to a home cook who is working with really shitty equipment for deep frying.

>I don't feel like it's worth the extra time and complication

sous vide does not always complicate things, in fact it often makes them far simpler. it's like the way a piano is a complicated instrument, but the whole reason it's complicated is to make the job of producing music simpler for the player - so they can do much more ambitious things as a soloist.
>>
>>7190008
>reduction in frying time
Wat. It takes way less time to fry chicken than it does to sous vide it and then fry it. It took him 3 hours to sous vide it. It takes 20 mins to fry chicken.
>>
>>7190010

You're missing the part where you can separate the sous vide part from the frying. Cook the chicken sous vide and leave it in the bag. Refrigerate or freeze. Then whenever you want fried chicken grab a bag and just fry it off.

Sous vide allows a lot of the prep and the cooking to be done in advance where all that's needed is a quick sear (or fry) and the food is ready to serve.
>>
>>7190019
It's still extra time to cook fried chicken. I'd rather take 20 mins to cook fried chicken, than 3 hours and then 3 mins later on.
>>
>>7190010
>>7190023

the reduction in frying time is significant because in a small pot crowded with chicken, the pot's temperature is gonna go down, the oil will be swimming with particles from the chicken that will scorch over time especially if doing batches, and so on.

sous vide is completely hands off, stable cooking. frying can be absolute hell for a home cook and not because they're bad or anything but because commercial fryers are actually good at their jobs whereas a pot or wok full of oil, or a small electric fryer, are not.

i mean, that whole post was about how while it's complicated in one way, it's actually simpler than others. and you completely ignored the point. don't do that again.
>>
>>7190055
Home frying isn't complicated at all though. I have no idea what you're talking about. You literally just get oil hot and throw chicken in and then watch it until it looks done.

You can shallow fry as well and avoid all of those problems.
>>
>>7190059

>You literally just get oil hot and throw chicken in and then watch it until it looks done.

an encounter the problems i described previously. you really don't want to engage with any points do you.
>>
>>7190066
>you don't want to engage with any points do you.
>>7190059
>You can shallow fry as well and avoid all of those problems.
>>
>>7190071

you have the exact same problems with shallow frying as you do with deep frying. oil breaks down. heats unevenly. scorching happens. breading absorbs lots of fat. overcooking happens. each batch takes a large amount of time which makes it much less viable for larger groups. i could go on.

shallow frying is great and delicious and even deep frying at home is perfectly viable if you are doing a fairly small batch and you have the patience, but there are clear advantages to precooking your chicken if you can make it work with minimal fuss, and that's what sous vide does.
>>
>>7190096

I see what you mean for a restaurant. That makes perfect sense. But a home cook isn't trying to move 30 orders of fried chicken through the fryer in a span of a half-hour. The benefits of sous vide, in this case, aren't all that significant.
>>
>>7190112

>But a home cook isn't trying to move 30 orders of fried chicken through the fryer in a span of a half-hour.

i have actually cooked substantial quantities of wings for a couple of superbowl parties.

the point of the video is showing you a 'can't fuck it up' method, i agree that it's more applicable to people who have a reason to do very large batches at a time, but there's nothing wrong with that. you don't need to rage every time chefsteps put up a video using sous vide, you should've got over it by now. they're advocates of modernist techniques. it's their thing.
>>
>>7190119
>i have actually cooked substantial quantities of wings for a couple of superbowl parties.

Sure, but that's the exception rather than the rule. On a normal day-to-day basis the average person isn't deep frying very much food.
>>
Finally a hot hipster husbando chef. Too many wannabe slut Nigella's tramping around.
>>
>>7190059
Um ok, i home fry in a pan filled lile 2 inches full of oil, i dont have the resources and im normally only cooking schnitzel or katsu. This would actually help a lot
>>
>>7190157

> On a normal day-to-day basis the average person isn't deep frying very much food.

of course, it's just that this is a method that scales up because it requires less attention and time at the stovetop.
>>
>>7190170

Nobody is disagreeing with that, anon.

The other guy is simply pointing out that when cooking at home he'd rather take the extra time frying rather than the sous vide process. Is it really so hard to understand why he might have that preference?

the ability to go from a 20 minute fry to a 3 minute fry is huge in a restaurant but not very significant at all for general home cooking.
>>
>>7190175

no it's not hard to understand that preference at all, i think i've made it clear that i'm only arguing against the intolerant invective aimed at chefsteps' method.
>>
>>7189965
>Fucking cooking hipsters
stopped reading there
>>
>>7189965
Their sous vide machine thing is 100$ off?

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk thats tempting
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.