[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me, di/ck/s.. Does canned food really expire on the printed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: FO3_Pork_n'_Beans.png (414 KB, 700x809) Image search: [Google]
FO3_Pork_n'_Beans.png
414 KB, 700x809
Tell me, di/ck/s..

Does canned food really expire on the printed expiration date? Is this just a myth?

I only ask because I have a can of soup in front of me that expired in July. It was stored in a cabinet above the oven and the bottom is a little rusty. Will this make me sick? My stomach hurts so badly I've been rummaging through the roommates cupboards looking for expired things they don't want. Not trying to steal anything that they are going to eat.
>>
>>7179252
It's probably fine. Canned food has a much longer shelf life than is printed on the can. Eventually the food will start to lose nutrients, similar to how vitamin pills lose efficacy over time.

The rust is a bit worrying, but as long as it hasn't actually eaten a hole in the can, you should be fine. Look inside the can after you dump out the contents, if there is a worrying amount of rust, toss it.

If the food doesn't smell bad, it's probably fine.

If you get the screaming shits, drink some extra water and take an anti-diahrehal medicine.
>>
Really expiration dates are just indicators to how old it is

Fro a legal point of view its easier to say this shit is gonna fuck you up way before it actually goes bad so there'll be a large buffer zone of when its still good and when its gonna rot your guts out, to minimize the risk of a lawsuit as much as possible
>>
>>7179252

>7000 annual botulism deaths
>"I'll probably be fine "
>>
>>7179261
>>7179269

Awesome I'm convinced. If I get sick I'll report back here for the amusement of others. Hooray for sustenance.
>>
>>7179282
Cite your sources.
The CDC reports about 110 cases a year in the US. Most of those attributed to improper home canning.

Cases of factory canned botulism are insanely rare.

Survival rate is 50% and climbing.

5 months expired is not going to be a problem unless the can has significant damage. Botulism will also cause the can to bulge.
>>
>>7179282
Are those from expired canned food?
>>
>>7179282

Willing to take the risk. I'm hungry as fuck.
>>
Back in the 1980's there was an... emergency, or famine, or shortage or some damn thing that led to the UK being flooded with tins of white label beef stew. Being a thrifty woman, my grandmother saved several cans.

She died in 2001, leaving three of those cans still unopened in her kitchen. Along with her baking tins and bread knife, I inherited them.

In 2008, while going through a bad patch (My workplace closed and the government were less than sympathetic), and after a month of ramen noodles, I found the tins on the top shelf of my kitchen cupboard.

If I had been into Fallout at the time I might have saved them for my cosplay ambitions, but instead I ate them because I was DONE with Ramen.

Tasted great (Pre Chernobyl dust-cloud beef, Mm Mmm!), didn't make me sick, and I wish I still had some because now I have a craving for beef stew.
>>
Little while ago someone opened a nearly 200 year old can of veal or beef and they ate it and they were fine so Id so no that shit basically will last forever as long as it remains unopened
>>
>>7179252
canned food can harbor botulism if they let a minuscule amount of air in.

Thats why there is a shelf life on them, the cans failing.
Slight rust or a dent or something like that can easily taint a can thats been sitting a long time.

>>7179291
>Cases of factory canned botulism are insanely rare.
Because most people dont wait until after the absurdly long expiration date on cans to eat the food.
>>
>>7179329
>Because most people dont wait until after the absurdly long expiration date on cans to eat the food.

lol. what country are you from? in my experience, you're dead wrong on that one.
>>
>>7179282
botulism is only from improperly canned/preserved food, when there's no oxygen in the can. it won't suddenly just appear after the printed date. in fact, it's more likely that it would be there BEFORE the date because it had to be improperly preserved.
>>
>>7179302
Damn, anon, I just made a huge pot of beef stew this weekend, 4 pounds of USDA prime beef shoulder, lots of root veggies, and fresh herbs.

If I found out you were nearby, I'd totally bring you some.
>>
>>7179341

>tfw no gracious neighbor to take pity on me

:(
>>
>>7179341
And that sounds awesome.

So, being that I live nowhere near you (I'm in Scotland), I'll have to pass. But damn.

I'll go shopping tomorrow. Some Pure Highland beef, go from there.
>>
File: 1366054496554.jpg (58 KB, 630x460) Image search: [Google]
1366054496554.jpg
58 KB, 630x460
>>7179302
>tins of white label beef stew
>I inherited them
>>
>>7179252
Is the can kinda "puffed"? Does it look like it's swollen?

If not, you're probably in the clear.
>>
File: 1438581912493[1].png (316 KB, 545x544) Image search: [Google]
1438581912493[1].png
316 KB, 545x544
>>7179382
sometimes i pull the lid so hard, i rip the tin
>>
See:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating/!ut/p/a1/jZFfb4IwFMU_jY-ll-EM7o2QGGUTZsxm5cUUaQtJaUlbR7ZPv-7fw4xstk_39Hdy7z3FJSa4VPSlFdS1WlH5UZezA2xgFs5TyIp5uIBV_rwp7tMU4u2tB_Z_AHl0pX_kJPCfP7uiwY1Zp2uBy566BrWKa0wEc4gqOzBjMeFa18hSztwr4vTokG0Ycz8PklZMtkp8l73R9ckztY9oTNzh8vdYEPq7yqPtdJnlERTTc-BCbl_AeDB-cyF19flJ-0RVUexXNIwzw0xwMl5unOvt3QQmMAxDILQWkgVH3V0yNNo6TM64vnsibw_JEtrHbhfb5B3rzVhk/#7

Bottom of the section, to be precise. Check expired cans before eating them/throwing them out, basically.
>>
OP here just finished eating it. Tasted a little bit funny, but I loaded it with ground pepper and ate all of it. The can looked normal on the inside.
>>
>>7179491
>Tasted a little bit funny
Did you even read the thread?
>>
>>7179506

Yes, I did. I weighed the risks and benefits and made a conscious decision to eat it. Blow me.
>>
>>7179525
you'll blow your bunghole, more like
>>
>>7179536

I've accepted my fate.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.