[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Liver and onions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (216 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
216 KB, 1024x768
What's the best way to prepare liver and onions for someone that has never eaten it before. I love it but a Close friend is just off put by liver in general, even though the admit they have never tasted it. My grandmom made it for us all the time when I was younger. She made hers smothered in gravy but I don't know how to do that. Thanks.
>>
>>7178345

I usually soak liver in milk, flour/spice dredge the liver, brown liver in bacon grease or butter in both sides , remove, add onions till Carmelized, remove, make pan gravy with drippings, beef broth, and a little flour, return liver and onions to pan and let it all simmer in gravy for a few min until fully cooked, serve over rice or mashed potatoes. Don't over cook. This is the only way I know how to make it.
>>
The way I make it... or rather, would make it for a liver-shy person: soak the liver in milk, salt and pepper, fry in butter on both sides to rose, fry some bacon in the leftover fat, wrap in foil to rest together. Sautee the onions in the long way to sweeten them, and give them a splash of balsamico, and prepare a gravy of roux, smetana, heavy cream, honey, salt and pepper. I prefer to serve them separately with rösti and grated raw apple, but for a very liver-shy person, burying the liver in the gravy and smothering them to well-done may help. This all depends on how fussy the eater is. Liver cooks very quickly and is at its best when rose, but I find many people refuse to eat liver at pink even if they like their steaks medium. If your primary goal is to overcome your friend's fear of liver, overcooked will be easier. And at the same time, worse.
>>
>>7178345
I had a roommate that would always get grossed out when i made liver and onions. I introduced him to liver with fried chicken liver from a nearby fast food chicken place. He liked them dipped in white gravy and also with ketchup. The next time I made beef liver and onions he ate some and now he loves it.
>>
File: rezept-1000164.jpg (27 KB, 330x248) Image search: [Google]
rezept-1000164.jpg
27 KB, 330x248
>>7178345
soak in milk -> flour -> pan -> light medium -> salt at the end!

onions and apple on top. goat!
>>
>>7178373
Sounds yummy. Thank u
>>7178378
I think just the sight of liver freaks my friend out. I don't know why people say they hate something when they have never even tried it. I'm going to try to make it without them seeing the liver before its cooked. That may help.
>>7178379
Awesome, thx. Sounds delicious.
>>7178359
Similar to the way my GM did it I think. Thx

All these methods sounds really good to me. Friend is a fussy eater to begin with. I just want them to at least taste it. If they don't like it after that, then fine. But I want them to at least try it.
>>
>>7178345
Is this actually good or do people just try to eat it because of that Doug episode. I've only ever wanted to try it because of Doug, but all the liver I've tried in Asia has melted in my mouth like sand.
>>
>>7178399
OP here, Liver and onions are wonderful if made correctly. I grew up on it. Very good for you too. I never saw that Doug episode so idk.
>>
salt always at the end please
>>
I like smothered calf's liver. The way I'm used to having it is very similar to >>7178359 only the onions are caramelised in wine already and added to the roux directly. Also fresh-ground pepper.
Then chicken stock or veal stock is used instead of beef to dissolve the roux and make onion gravy. Then serve with chips/fries in their own plate.

While my mother never did this, I like topping it with onion straws. Since I'm frying potatoes anyway, it seems a waste not to make onion straws while I'm at it.
>>
>>7178417
Why? Does it mess the liver up somehow if you do it at the beginning? Honest question.
>>
>>7178458
it coult happen that the liver could become tough
>>
>>7178470
Good info. Thanks
>>
Another liver newb here. Anyone has a hint for cooking time and/or temperature? Somewhat less than a steak of same size I suppose? How much?
>>
>>7178345
make chili and don't tell them it's liver.
>>
>>7178548
I don't know about temps but usually it's pan fried or smothered at med/hi stove top temp or until the liver is still pink or rose colored in the middle with no liquid coming out when you cut it. You can cook it to be more well done too. Liver doesn't take long. You just don't want to burn it or seriously over cook it.
>>
>>7178569
I've never eaten liver this way. Sounds like it would be pretty good. Would you chop up the liver and brown It up the same way as if you were using ground meat or what? I know that sometimes the liver is delicate and just falls apart. This is why I'm asking.
>>
>>7178379
>>7178359
Never tried it like this before. Sounds much better than what I do is just fry it and eat it like a chalky steak.

>>7178569
I put liver in chili. Its not easily noticed but if you made liver chili it might be a bit more obvious.
>>
Is liver as good for you as health advocates and the mainstream says or is it BS?
>>
>>7178822
Yes, it's good for u.
>>
>>7178345
Polandfag here , we always do a soak in milk for 45 min or so along wiht some finely chopped onions in a ziplock or sumtin. Take out and put it into flavored flour ( I do smoked paprika, salt, black pepper) and fry it like a steak medium well. As for onions chop finely and fry till golden brown on some butter on medium low heat. Serve onions on top of hot liver and put some underneath when u let it rest. You get a sexy flavorful crust from the milk/flour.
>>
>>7178345
My advice op, add Guacamole.
>>
File: normal_849008.jpg (138 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
normal_849008.jpg
138 KB, 1024x768
another variation: soak in milk -> flour -> pan. at the same time add some fine chopped onions and garlic. when the liver is almoast ready add cream, fresh chopped parsley, salt, pepper some cayenne and butter. serve with mashed potatoes. geat!

you also can add some vinegar than you get a sour liver. speciality in south germany an super goat
>>
>>7180233
>sexy flavorful crust

I must taste this
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.