[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cocktail Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 16
File: cocktail-bar.jpg (600 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
cocktail-bar.jpg
600 KB, 2560x1600
Let's get a cocktail thread going, don't see one that isn't dedicated to self loathing.

What are you drinking? What would you rather be drinking?

Post favorites, recipes, original or otherwise.
>>
>>7166713
Cocktail threads never really take off too well unfortunately.

Anyway, since its winter, and dark a lot of the time, im mostly drinking Manhattans. At home I make them with Buffalo Trace and Dolin Rouge. If I could get my hands on some Rye that wasnt crazily overpriced id like to try that though.
>>
>>7166713
just a quick bump. I'll upload pictures if I can find them, but here's my latest list o' cocktails:

Rye Manhattan (I usually prefer bourbon, but I tried making it with rye recently and haven't looked back): lately I've tested my go-to recipe using Dickel Rye (good taste, not expensive), Knob Creek Rye (good taste, expensive), and Templeton Rye (excellent taste, fucking expensive). I think the Dickel will be the well rye in liquor cabinet for the foreseeable future.

BTW, if you're not using Luxardo cherries in your Manhattans, try it. They're sort of pricey, but way better than that fire engine red crap in jars.

Also, Old-fashioneds with Dickel or Knob Creek are the bomb.

My partner is a gin addict, and as such prefers Martinis with either Tanqueray, Beefeater, Aviation, or Nolet's depending on how much money she wants to spend. They're all great, especially if you like a dirty martini.
>>
File: img-whiskies-rye.png (136 KB, 196x548) Image search: [Google]
img-whiskies-rye.png
136 KB, 196x548
>>7167285
search for pic related. Only like 23 or so in california. good for mixing and ok for drinking
>>
File: espresso martini.jpg (709 KB, 2988x3904) Image search: [Google]
espresso martini.jpg
709 KB, 2988x3904
>>7167314
I made some espresso martinis using the recipe on the bottle of Kahlua. It was way too sweet, so I tried again and used 1/2 as much Kahlua as recommended, and I tried to add some Frangelico. I think the final version was:

1 part vodka
1 part espresso
0.75 parts Kahlua
splash of Frangelico

shake with ice until Frothy and cold, strain into chilled glass.

The espresso was a bit warm and melted a lot of the ice, making the volume bigger than expected, but otherwise this was a nice after dinner drink.
>>
File: 1297988913111.png (593 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1297988913111.png
593 KB, 533x800
guise how do i make my own shrubs?
>>
>>7167351
soak fruit in vinegar of choice for a week or two.
strain.

the vinegar should break down the fruit and extract flavors from the fruit. alter the time & storage temperatures to get different results.

you're welcome.
>>
File: zevia.jpg (63 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
zevia.jpg
63 KB, 736x490
Currently drinking nothing. Would very much enjoy a Bourbon and Ginger Ale right about now. I'm /keto/ though, so sugar free soda.
All-time favorite cocktail has gotta be the sweet and simple Cuba Libre.

Here's a cocktail suggestion: use Hard Ginger Beer for your Whiskey Ginger.
>>
File: img_001.jpg (82 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
img_001.jpg
82 KB, 720x960
>>7167314
>Luxardo Cherries

100% agree. I searched hard for them, and couldnt find them. They were on amazon, but the shipping was crazy. Im kind of in between right now. What Im using is like a cheaper version of the luxardo ones, but it isnt those bright red things you can get, ther are in a kirsch syrup. Still trying to get the luxardo ones though. I have a bottle of Maraschino liqueur, so considering making my own.

Gin is based, but I drink more in the summer. Have you tried a Martinez? Its a cross between Manhattan and Martini. I just bought the bottles for it the other day. Pic related.

>>7167322
Im in UK. This costs £40 ($60). Its not always useful to do direct translation of cost because of different taxes etc, but a bottle of standard Jack Daniels costs £15 for comparison.

>>7167344
If you like whiskey, then espresso martini works very well using bourbon. I combine bourbon, espresso and add some amaretto for sweetness (since I only make this if my gf wants a cocktail).
>>
File: mocha.jpg (304 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
mocha.jpg
304 KB, 2048x1536
Tasted about as good as you'd expect.
>>
File: 1442179532005.jpg (110 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1442179532005.jpg
110 KB, 540x960
>>7167442
>60$for dickel
>>
File: A4uMyzb4.png (32 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
A4uMyzb4.png
32 KB, 512x512
Favs: anything with maraschino and a nice sweet/dry complexity going on

drinking rn: Glenmorangie 10 and a little splash of water; just finish some post-dinner port

would love as well: a good aviation or negroni. May be considered summery drinks but damn girl, they're anytime drinks

Cheers, my crafty cocktail cu/ck/s
>>
>>7167442

how would it not be more costly to use tons of Luxardo Maraschino to make a personal batch of cherries then just to buy the cherries? I'm not attacking the decision, but I'm just surprised at the cost of Luxardo maraschino liqueur
>>
>>7167434
>My favourite cocktail is a rum and coke
C'mon dude don't be that guy
>>
>>7167607
Luxardo cherries cost around £12 including p&p from amazon. I looked in a lot of shops around London and didnt find them so thats the only way I could get them. I just bought my bottle of liqueur in the Amazon black friday sale for £20 and no p&p.

The video I watched used a combination of sugar syrup and maraschino liqueur. Im not sure what the original Luxardo recipe is though. I'd probably just buy them already made since I wouldnt want to do it wrong and they not be very good.
>>
>>7167715
The whiskey exchange, Borough market, sell them... About 8 quid I think for a jar.
>>
>>7167738
For real?

I go to Borough Market often. I work just the other side of London Bridge from there. Theres no way I've been walking past them every day and not realised!
>>
I can only find a few on google, so I'll ask here.

What can I make out of goslings black seal that doesn't need too much stuff onhand but tastes good enough to justify throwing a pretty good amount of the alcohol itself in?
>>
>>7167746
Yup I'm 90% sure I saw them there when I was in grabbing rum for butter rums, they've got a website so might list them on there, but if not they have a " things to go with drinks" style section in store and swore I saw them.
>>
>>7166713
I made simple syrup for daiquiris and then drank all the rum, and I still have around twenty limes because I severely miscalculated portions.
So now I'm making old fashioneds and also doing a traditional daiquiri with bourbon instead of rum. The sweetness of Bulleit helps.
>>
>>7167858
How much are you drinking that you buy so many limes you are left with 20 too many.
>>
>>7167889
I'm pretty deep into it at this point, I'm doing about 3 26ers a week and spending about $300 can in beer. So a good drunk most nights of the week.
>>
>>7167755

Gosling's ginger beer, by chance?
Or really any cocktail calling for dark or spiced rum would work
>>
>>7167914
At least try and make it believable
>>
File: 1342803466300.png (404 KB, 631x627) Image search: [Google]
1342803466300.png
404 KB, 631x627
>tfw haven't had a drink all week

on one hand it's kinda good because, hey, haven't drank all week. on the other hand, fuck me, why am I denying myself my one true love.
>>
File: 1412471486714.jpg (135 KB, 970x1048) Image search: [Google]
1412471486714.jpg
135 KB, 970x1048
Vodka with a bunch of fruit and stuff in it (left in the fridge for awhile).

Girly as fuck but tastes awesome.
>>
>>7167344
I still find it weird that the word "martini" gets appended to cocktails containing any number of things, none of which have to be the ingredients found in a martini.

>>7167978
Absence makes the liver grow stronger.
>>
>>7167595
I put a few cinnamon stick in red vermouth back in february and left them in for about 10-12 weeks. A small splash of that will add an awesome flavor to a good old fashioned.

One of my new favorite recipes:

15-20 mL triple sec (or cointreau or grand marnier or similar)
10-15 mL cinnamon infused vermouth
dash of orange bitters
several dashes of Angostura bitters
90 mL Rye or Bourbon (use the best you can find)

pour it all into a rocks glass and stir thoroughly. Add one large piece of ice (I use 5 cm cubes) and stir just enough to chill. Garnish with orange & cherry. Top with soda, ginger ale, ginger beer, or tonic to taste.

I usually take it with a splash of tonic to balance the sweetness of the orange and vermouth. It's pretty good and has a lot of room for customization. It's not quite an old-fashioned (according to purists) but it's tasty and hits the spot every time.
>>
>>7168199
>I still find it weird that the word "martini" gets appended to cocktails containing any number of things

I think this happens simply to let the person ordering know that it will be a small, strong drink that should be served chilled, but without ice in the drink.
>>
File: errors.cgi.jpg (161 KB, 640x802) Image search: [Google]
errors.cgi.jpg
161 KB, 640x802
>>7168199
I would say martini may be used to describe these drinks because they come in a martini style glass, also because >>7168244

I like to use a Coupe glass (pic related) for some of my cocktails now rather than a martini glass. I use them for Manhattan and Martinez. Im not sure if they came before the martini glass, but they feel a bit more nostalgic to me, which I like.

>>7168230
This sounds really good. I need to get some form of curacao or triple sec. Bourbon and orange work very well together. I dont think id add any of the soda to it though, since I have a sweet tooth. Sounds like a great christmas drink.
>>
File: girldrink.jpg (128 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
girldrink.jpg
128 KB, 600x600
Honest to God, a mojito. The bartender will want to kill you and often doesn't have the mint on hand, but damned if I couldn't drink these until I pass out.
>>
>>7167978
It's Monday m8
Must be a rough week if you already need one
>>
>>7168199
that's just the 90's martini craze, in fact the cocktail I'm drinking tonight, simple version of a modern Lemon Drop, is sometimes called 'lemon drop martini' nowadays

recipe of what I'm having:
>4 parts Wyborowa wodka
>2 parts freshly squeezed lemon juice
>1,5 part plain syrup (sugarwater)

yesterday's whisky sour:
>4 parts Maker's Mark bourbon (or any decent bourbon)
>2-3 parts fresh lemon juice
>1 part plain syrup

I like it sour
>>
File: TheBest.jpg (3 MB, 2848x4288) Image search: [Google]
TheBest.jpg
3 MB, 2848x4288
>>7167616
Don't forget the lime!
I know it's a COLLEGE COCKTAIL WOO LET'S GET DRUNK, but I don't care. I'm not a fucking hipster about my drinks. I like it with MexiCoke (which again, I can't usually have because /keto/), a nice sweet rum like Captain Morgan Private Stock, and again, with lime. Feel free to explain why I should enjoy this.

I also enjoy Moscow Mules and, occasionally, a dirty gin Martini.
>>
>>7170603
There's nothing wrong with a good rum and coke.
>>
>>7170623

I agree with this, it's a good lazy drink to sip on.
>>
what to drink when it's cold? Someone else ITT said manhattans are for winter?
>>
>>7170603
>Feel free to explain why I should enjoy this.
*shouldn't
Y'all got it though.
>>
>>7170603
You're already giving your liver and kidneys a hard time with the rum. Adding Coke to the mix is just twisting the knife.

At least it's not an energy drink.
>>
>>7170765
anything whisky-based, or just a glass of peated whisky, best winter warmers around
>>
>>7170765
Hot toddies are GOAT when you're sick or when you want to get maximum comfy in the winter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSx6woYYPVo
>>
A good friend of mine who was the bartender at this upper-class, too-rich-for-my-blood restaurant made these ridiculously good rum sours in which he used some some sort of vanilla sugar solution along with chartreuse, rum, lemon juice and egg whites.

They were amazing.
>>
rn im drinking just a jack on the rocks with a splash of water. i like brown liquors with a splash of water because it doesnt add sugar, but it calms the drink down anf you still taste the liquor plus it's better for the possibility of a hangover the next day because you're hydrating yourself with every drink...kind of
>>
File: Sazerac.jpg (414 KB, 1470x1600) Image search: [Google]
Sazerac.jpg
414 KB, 1470x1600
One of my favorites. I also love a good manhattan.
>>
>>7172401
Of course you do.
You love taking cock in your ass as well?
>>
>>7172451
Why are you here?
>>
>>7172451
Someone is insecure with their sexuality.
>>
>>7171928
Don't understand this. Why weaken your beverage
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.