[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys (and girls, hurr), I'm in quite a pickle... I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Tomatillo[1].jpg (780 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Tomatillo[1].jpg
780 KB, 1280x1024
Guys (and girls, hurr), I'm in quite a pickle... I've planted 5 tomatillo plants. They have grown quite a bit, they are bearing fruit, some are even falling to the ground, but...

I have no idea if they're ripe or not.
The ones that have fallen to the ground taste like unripe plums or something.

How to check if they're ripe? How should they taste? What can I do with them?

pls respond
>>
>>7853742
>planting plants you don't have a plan for and have no clue how to utilize
why?
I mean it'd be a different story if you'd been like "oh man I love salsa verde, I'mma plant some tomatillos
>>
>>7853742
>How to check if they're ripe?

firmness. Think of it like a tomato: if they are very firm to the touch they aren't ripe yet. As they get ripe they will have some "give" to them when you squeeze them.

>>7853769
Also this.
>>
>>7853742

they are ripe when the fruit is easily picked from the plant and the outer skins are papery and dry.

they are firm, sour and tangy. You can eat the whole fruit including seeds except for the stem. they are best when added to fresh salsas, cooked into spicy sauces or chili, or can be pickled, made into chutney and canned, and enjoyed as a spread on a variety of foods.

shredded pork shoulder(pernil) with a tomatillo sauce is absolutely great, for instance

>source
>me
>grew and sold the damn things by the bushel for years
>>
>>7853769
Curiosity bruh.

>>7853771
>>7853785
Thanks!
Okay, so papery dry skin it is. Will wait for a while longer, because the ones I picked were certainly not ripe yet according to y'all.
>>
>>7853769
Who's to say he can't get a plan from suggestions here? He's obviously trying to learn what to do. Why the fuck are 99% of the replies on this fucking board actively trying to destroy any productivity or insight at all.
>>
>>7853861
>Who's to say he can't get a plan from suggestions here?

Because he already has the fucking tomatillos, yet doesn't know what to do with them.

Nothing wrong with planning from here, just do the planning FIRST.
>>
>>7853866
How does that preclude him from learning how ripe they are and using them in recipes once they're ripe? They don't sound like they're rotting. How does not knowing what to do with a vegetable beforehand prevent you from later using it after you have it?
>>
>>7853866
I do have them, but it seems they're not ripe yet. I also have plenty of cherry tomatoes, green zebra tomatoes, beefmasters and russian plum.

The tomatoes I can deal with, it's just the tomatillos that are giving me a hard time. Never tasted one, never had an opportunity to buy some. Europe.
>>
>>7853813

you're welcome.

they will ripen off the vine, and it won't hurt to eat them a little green, so don't fear picking them when they look a good size. they don't get much bigger than a small plum
>>
>>7853876
>How does that preclude him from learning how ripe they are and using them in recipes once they're ripe?

It doesn't. It's just a lot easier to do your research before you are swamped with a bunch of fruit that you don't know what to do with.

I think it's awesome that OP is growing his own vegetables. Especially since he's trying out new ones that aren't available in his area. But I'm doing some head-scratching as to why someone wouldn't research things like "how to tell when they're ripe" and "what to do with them" BEFORE planting them.
>>
>>7853891
They're not going to rot within the 2 hours he can learn everything in a /ck/ thread. Sure he could google instead, but if you ask that of him then you're destroying every single thread on /ck/ that isn't a vanity post or circlejerking over fast food, huh?
>>
>>7853891
Honestly, there's much misinformation on tomatillos online. Apparently, when the husk bursts, they should be ripe... and that doesn't appear to be the case. There's also quite a lot of confusion because some plant yellow and red tomatillo cultivars.

The only thing I've learned from many online videos and articles is that they're sticky and need to be washed, and that they're good for chutneys. Derp.
>>
>>7853898

I wasn't knocking his choice of asking around on 4chan as opposed to google. I was questioning the ordering of "grow first, research later" as opposed to the opposite.

>>7853909
A someone who cooks with tomatillos often, I can see how that may be confusing. I have seen many tomatillos in the market which had a dry papery (and open) husk, yet the tomatillo itself was clearly not ripe. Ignore the husk and go by the feel. Treat it just like a tomato (after all, they are a very closely related species).
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.