[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/ I'll be living in Italy for a while with no knowledge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: banana-head.jpg (333 KB, 1156x940) Image search: [Google]
banana-head.jpg
333 KB, 1156x940
Hey /ck/
I'll be living in Italy for a while with no knowledge of wine other than white wine with fish, red wine with red meat. What wines are good to try out?

Pic related is mrw browsing the supermarket
>>
>>7841226
Talk to the locals.They'll tell you what to drink with what dishes, because their ancestors worked that out a long time ago.

You'll find the white wines more than you could ever wrap your head around. There are like 200 regional variations on white wine grapes, just slight genetic variants of the same handful of grape types. But they all have different names.

A fot the reds, the Sangiovese is the classic Italian red wine grape. It makes rustic tasting wines that are very food friendly (but less exciting to drink on their own). Think of a Chianti and that's what I'm talking about.

In Tuscany they grow the traditional Bordeaux red grapes (Merlot and Cab Sauv), and blend in a little Sangiovese to give it a distinctly Italian taste. These are some of the most celebrated (and expensive) Italian wines, called Super Tuscans.

Other Italian reds you'll want to try are Barolo and Barbaresco (Nebbiolo grape), Amarone (wine aged on the squeezed grapes) and Ripasso (another wine spending some time on the Amorone's squeezed grapes).

But the locals will talk up the local plonk wherever you are, and some of it will likely be good.
>>
Italy is more regional than almost any other country. So wherever you move will have its own favorites of every type, that match the local cuisine, etc. Where are you going to be living?

Avoid Vin Santo, btw. It's brandy, and not a good one.
>>
File: I am Monitoring this Thread.jpg (111 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
I am Monitoring this Thread.jpg
111 KB, 800x600
>be from italy
>know sweet FA about wine
I just drink whatever. I should probably change that.
>>
>>7841297
Cheers for the starter

>>7841303
I'll be spending most of my time up north east in Trieste, who's dish is a type of minestrone which I cannot remember right now.
>>
>>7841315
>be from italy
is it as shitty as everywhere else? because on tv it's a paradise of beautiful people and amazing food made by grandmothers
>>
>>7841226
GOLDEN RULE: 14 vol in 0.75 bottle
>>
>>7841325

Oh wow, that's more Balkan than Italian.

Wines there are going to be much more Austrian/Russian style - not nearly as tannic.

Also, try the burek if it's around.
>>
>>7841330
Yes and no.
It really is as beautiful as people make it out to be and, on average, the Italian homecook of any age, grandmothers included, is leaps and bounds better than those of other countries.

However, there are down-sides, too. Our government is a sham, corruption is rampant, we espouse extreme xenophobia and racism against even our own people (because they're from another region and/or speak a different native dialect) and it's growing increasingly overrun with Rom and Albanians.

At least we're not Greece.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I really like this one. $20 in the states about 11-12 euros in Italy.
>>
>>7841226
Go to wine shop; ask for different wine each time; try different grape and region varieties, white or red; tell them ehat you're eating so they can pair it.
>>
File: Ristretto.jpg (924 KB, 2048x1530) Image search: [Google]
Ristretto.jpg
924 KB, 2048x1530
>>7841226
I'm not really into whine but the best thing about Italy is the coffee. I lived for 1 year in Bologna and everywhere I went I ordered a ristretto. I really miss it.
Ice Cream is also godlike.
Pizza/Pasta was disappointing. Is hard to find a good place for this.
>>
>>7844429
>here's your 3 tablespoons of coffee, sir
>>
>>7844443
And whats the problem, its pure flavor. You must be amerifat with your 5 bucks half liter watered coffee.
A ristretto costs 1€ and has more coffee than that sewer water you drink in america.
>>
>>7841226
Red wine whenever you want. White wine whenever you want. Literally only autists won't have a nice red with seafood or white with steak
>>
>>7844463
If somebody insults your food and or drink preferences and you automatically assume they're an American, you're part of the problem. Comparable to third wave feminism screaming about men around every turn.
>>
>>7844470
Same thing anon.
Only an american would complain about the size. I was right I suppose.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.