[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wok
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: wok cutaway_1500 pixels.jpg (486 KB, 1500x995) Image search: [Google]
wok cutaway_1500 pixels.jpg
486 KB, 1500x995
Can you properly use a wok on a regular home kitchen gas burner?
>>
>>7837471

yes dont listen to snobs who insist Bao is the only way too cook with a wok. the wok was designed simply as a tool to help with cooking with minimal oil

however
-due to the relatively low if you want to actually 'stir fry' in it, you have to keep the amount of ingredients in the wok to a small amount, or else the liquid content will overcome the stoves heat capabilities and you'll start to just be braising them. since stir fry's use watery sauces, a lot of moist ingredients, and tend to be cooked all together, this is a bigger issue than with most other methods.
>>
Yes, a wok is a useful tool in the home kitchen, but whether or not you can use it properly depends on your definition of "proper".

I've been holding off buying a decent wok until I get an outdoor propane burner (primarily for homebrewing). Unless you're making individual portions you basically want to cook over something that resembles a jet engine, because it's designed for direct, high heat, and is sloped so that you can move the food up the edges and only have food touching direct heat briefly, and be able to easily control it.
>>
>due to the relatively low
BTUs on a residential range

if you have a commercial style range (for home use with ignitors and insulated sides and whatnot, or just an actual restaraunt range) it's less of an issue because these commonly have 3-5x more thermal output than mid range residential burners.

then there are dedicated wok ranges

There are also portable propane wok burners, but these tend to be shit with really dirty flames.

I personally use a commercial stock pot boiler reconfigured for propane, with an adjustable regulator. can shoot flames 6 feet high and will readily freeze 5 gallon propane tanks at high bore
>>
File: WokMon-image-1-672x372.jpg (57 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
WokMon-image-1-672x372.jpg
57 KB, 672x372
Would something like this actually work?
>>
>>7837574
>Would something like this actually wok?
>>
>>7837574

>would jerryrigging a shitty homestove to spit fire 2 feet into the air in an attempt to emulate a restaurant wok stove work

Of course, until you set your kitchen on fire.
>>
So how did poor as fuck peasants used woks back in the day?
>>
>>7838108
They all had professional wok burners you moron
>>
File: Complete Stove.jpg (37 KB, 470x599) Image search: [Google]
Complete Stove.jpg
37 KB, 470x599
>>7837574

All that does is concentrate the flame into a narrower spot. It doesn't increase the power output. It's just a gimmick.

>>7838108
With pic related. Burning charcoal in one of those is much hotter than a gas flame.
>>
>>7838108

Charcoal and clay stoves are cheap and burn hot as a motherfucker.
>>
I have a fuck electric coil hob and my wok still cooks food. It is depressing as fuck though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.