[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mercury in tuna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 0903-canned-tuna-300.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
0903-canned-tuna-300.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
Does anyone have a definitive answer for this? Every article I read contradicts itself.

Then there's selenium. Some articles say it actually speeds up mercury poisoning.

I want to eat 2-3 cans daily on a diet but I'm afraid of killing myself.
>>
>>7819922
>I want to eat 2-3 cans daily on a diet
what kind of diet is that
just go for canned salmon
mercury is in most saltwater fish so judge for yourself
pretty logical if fish producers lobby "safe to eat" articles and research
>>
Most canned tuna is skipjack tuna. Skipjack tuna is a moderate mercury fish, however the levels can vary quite a bit. The FDA/USDA report a mean of 150 ppm for canned "light" tuna (which includes non-skipjack species), however tests in my European country have found mean levels of 50 ppm for canned skipjack tuna of various brands. 50 ppm means that you can eat one can of tuna per day and stay below the upper tolerable intake level for a typical adult male. 2 cans would be pushing it and 3 would be way over the limit. This all assumes no other fish is consumed and that the fish is actually 50 ppm and not an outlier (it's reasonable to assume that some samples will be 150 or higher). For an assumed 150 ppm, you'd want to limit yourself to 3 cans a week.

It's a good idea to use other sources of protein too. Legumes are good and very satiating, there are other low-fat fish you should be able to get chip, you could also try canned low-fat poultry, or just protein powder
>>
>>7819954
It's part of the diet. Not THE diet.

I can't stand salmon honestly. It makes me gag. But I love tuna. I'm fucked up. But there's so many conflicting opinions on what a safe amount of tuna to eat is.
>>
>>7819963
Thanks.

Tuna is just the cheapest/most simple thing that I actually enjoy eating so it was my go to option.
>>
>>7819977
asians eating tons of that stuff and they are doing relatively okay
just don't overuse it and go with something not super cheap
>>
>>7819922
Did a cat trick you into this diet?
>>
FDA recommends only 12 ounces of canned light tuna a week. I'd eat more though because I love tuna.

http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm110591.htm
>>
>>7819922
Have you considered sardines?
>>
>>7819922

Selenium generally helps to counteract mercury. That said, it's still not enough to make it ok.

Sorry m8, there's no healthy way to eat that much fish. Pretty much every kind of fish is contaminated with one thing or another because of how badly we've fucked with the oceans. If you eat fish as anything but an occasional treat, you're poisoning yourself.
>>
I've read in a bodybuilding article that practically debunked how harmful mercury in tuna is. I don't remember where I read it but the conclusion was start off with small amounts of tuna at a time, and gradually increase the amounts as time goes on, so your body can adjust.
>>
>>7819922
I would bring up fukushima but everyone will give me shit about being a conspiracy nut so I won't bring it up.
>>
File: carrots.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
carrots.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1200
>>7823124
non-scientist here says your body don't adjust to mercury. You should stop eating mercury, nimbit! If it wasn't in Men's Fitness it was probably written by some jar head who swears by fish and/or steak at least once a week. The smaller the fish the less the mercury amount....plain and simple. Try sardines like that one anon said.
>>
Let's say I wanted to maximize mercury intake through food (so no straight eating mercury), how would I go about doing so in a reasonable manner?

Shark has a lot, but I can't get shark easily or without breaking the bank where I live.
>>
>>7823480
Fish consumption accounts for virtually all mercury intake in people who don't work in specific fields with mercury exposure. The most commonly consumed and widely available high-mercury fishes are bluefin, yellowfin and bigeye tuna, followed by albacore tuna. Basically any non-skipjack tuna is gonna load up your mercury stores really good. Lobsters and king mackerel are pretty high too but rather pricy
>>
>>7823488
Thank ye.
>>
>>7819967
>I can't stand salmon honestly. It makes me gag. But I love tuna. I'm fucked up

there's something wrong with you
>>
mercury in fish is like sugar in fruit... its good for you
>>
>>7819922
There is Mercury in tuna. In order to actually poison yourself with it you have to eat it very regularly.

I know one person who managed to do it. OCD motherfucker who hit middle age and his doctor told him to eat less red meat and more fish. So the guy started eating a tuna roll for lunch every day, Having little idea what to eat for dinner (and OCD) he ate tuna for dinner more days than not. After a few months he developed an irregular heartbeat and felt fucked up. He went to the doctor. It took a little while to diagnose, because no doctor would suspect anyone would be eating that much tuna. But once the doctor realized what was going on the diagnosis of mercury poisoning was given. The guy stopped eating so much fucking tuna and was fine after a while. That was years ago, and he's fine now.

tl;dr You have to eat it all the time to pioson yourself.
>>
time to poison myself
>>
File: image.jpg (575 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
575 KB, 1536x2048
who /vendingmachinetuna/ here?
>>
>>7825923

How can you even fucking trust that?
>>
>>7825959

Why wouldn't you be able to trust a can of tuna from one of the biggest canned tuna companies on the planet just because it came out of a vending machine?
>>
>>7825959
because it's almost entirely preservative

tuna and crackers don't go bad easily, it's just been sitting in a room temperature vending machine forever
>>
>>7825923
I keep a stack of those at my desk in the drawer when I'm too drunk to walk down the stairs. Solid 8/10 snack with a touch of tiger sauce.
>>
>>7825983
I actually like those.

But then I read about how one guy fell into a giant vat of cooking tuna and then basically boiled to death in tuna at one of their plants.
>>
>>7825983
>>7825992

Is it in a can?

I thought it was just a sealed foil package or something
>>
>>7826034
You can clearly see the image of a small tin on the package, but why would the shape of the plastic-coated, metal packaging matter?
>>
>>7826006

My music teacher lost her index ring and middle finger to an automatic meat grinder because she was a bone picker and if a bone got into the machine she would have been fired.

She got fired because at that point a whole fuck load of bones went through the machine (fucking trinidadians) and then went on to tell the story. Now I am sure there are hundreds of people around my age that have a fear of ground chicken because she used that same hand to write on the board with her thumb and pinky all fucked up looking.

She could still play the recorder some how.
>>
>>7826043

>image of the tin

I see images if lots of shit on packaging and I don't find 99.9% of that shit when in open it.

From Bengal tigers wearing shades speaking English while skateboarding to a delicious looking snack that turns out to be just alright. I have been bitten more than once my friend.

Also who knows how long that thing has been in there. At least with a compromised month old chocolate bar or packet of chips they don't make you puke in opening. A month old open can of tuna might ruin your appetite for some time.

I would risk it in a can as they hold up ro abuse alright but not some tender foil packaging
>>
>>7819922
>2-3 cans [of tuna] daily
Oh, helllloooo
>>
>>7823192
Just to clarify, if I understand correctly, the reason smaller fish have less is because they're lower on the food chain - so in a simplified version a sardine might have eaten plankton with tiny trace amount of mercury every day, whereas tuna eats sardines every day and all the mercury in all the sardines ends up in the tuna.
>>
>>7825923
you have nice hands, especially the nails
I say this v unironically and non-sexually, you just have quality hands
>>
>>7823124
>>7819922
ehhh?
https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/
"As long as you are eating fish that contains more selenium than mercury, the amount of selenium in the body will always be in plentiful excess of mercury. That means that these essential selenoenzymes are never inhibited to a meaningful degree. Fortunately, the vast majority of fish most people consume have more selenium than mercury. The exceptions are pilot whale, shark, tilefish, king mackerel and swordfish."
>>
File: tumblr_liqkf1xF0V1qef8qg.jpg (39 KB, 330x476) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_liqkf1xF0V1qef8qg.jpg
39 KB, 330x476
Actually, regular tuna has far higher mercury and is unhealthier to eat than canned tuna. Canned tuna has very little mercury.

Think about it like this- Mercury is found in thermometers. When a thermometer heats up (ie when you have a temperature) the mercury inside it expands and rises. This is how mercury 'breeds'. It is a living organism like all bacteria and it grows when warm.

Mercury already exists inside the body of a live tuna. Therefore, when you buy 'fresh' tuna from the grocery the fish is still alive and therefore warm. So the mercury has bred inside the tuna and become more dangerous. Meanwhile, canned tuna has been sitting cold and dead for many weeks so the mercury has 'died' and isn't really in anymore

This can be an issue if you warm your tuna before eating but who the fuck eats warm canned tuna? Not this guy, no sir-reebob. FRESH tuna is the danger. Eating a fresh tuna is like drinking straight from a thermometer. In fact, you can measure your own temperature by placing a comatose tuna fish on your head, if it comes to life you have activated its mercury and you are sick.
>>
>>7826606
too much effort for mediocre bait
>>
>>7826060
most recorder players only use 2-3 fingers anyway, and the thumb is basically not even used.
The recorder is basically a toy, anyway.
>>
>>7823151
Go on.
>>
>>7826100
What abuse is there to be had in a vending machine?

There is arguably far more abuse on a store shelf.
>>
>>7819922
Don't eat it 2-3 times a day, retard. I wouldnt even eat it once a day every day even though something else is more likely to kill you. The risk is negligible otherwise
>>
>>7819922

I love tuna. Especially the canned stuff in olive oil. But eating 2-3 cans a day is a little excessive in my opinion. If you are bulking, mix it up a bit. You can have 1 can of tuna, boiled eggs, beans, chicken, turkey, beef, etc. Many things you can do for protein.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.