[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /ck/. I had jaw surgery a week ago and my oral surgeon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: Beef_Brisket_2.jpg (85 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
Beef_Brisket_2.jpg
85 KB, 540x360
Hello /ck/.

I had jaw surgery a week ago and my oral surgeon told me today that I wouldn't be able to chew for another 3 months. My shit was so fucked up that he told me that I can't chew anything, not even a little pasta, and that I'd have to just swallow everything without chewing. If it's small enough, and moist enough, to swallow hole then I can eat it. I could eat a hot dog without the bun for example, I'd just have to cut it up into 20 small pieces.

As you might've guessed, I am interested in some recipes/suggestions on what to eat for the next THREE FUCKING MONTHS. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Pudding, cream of wheat, smoothies, yogurt, ice cream, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, mushy peas, jello, puréed cauliflower, instant oatmeal, blended soups, steak tartare, hard candies,
>>
>>7812745
Just swallowing little pieces of meat without chewing won't take you to flavortown unfortunately OP, try some split pea soup with a lot of ham/pork flavors in that sumbitch. How'd this happen to your jaw in the first place?
>>
File: Big-Al-Shoot-Me.jpg (26 KB, 250x279) Image search: [Google]
Big-Al-Shoot-Me.jpg
26 KB, 250x279
>>7812760
Dunno. Just kinda happened. I had no impact injuries or anything.

My jaw started popping and clicking a little and I just kinda ignored it. A lot of my joints pop a lot so I just figured that was part of it. Then, after a few weeks to a month, it transitioned into painful popping and some locking. By the time I got an appointment with my dentist, it was an impeded jaw with pain. I couldn't eat a sandwich/burger if it was too tall because I was physically unable to open my jaw that far. Then he referred me to the surgeon, which did my surgery in a week or so.

Apparently, the cartilage on the jaw joint had come unattached and slide behind the jaw joint, blocking jaw movement and causing pain. The area was so beat up, inflamed, and bruised that he did 2 biopsies to make sure there wasn't anything wrong like rheumatoid arthritis. Shit's so damaged he won't let me chew to prevent the cartilage coming back undone and having to redo all this bullshit.

Fun stuff.
>>
>>7812769
You have TMJ right?
>>
>>7812769
Christ man, you need a hug.
Anyway, anything like applesauce, mashed potatoes, pureed vegetables, stuff like that. Think baby food, weird as that may sound.
>>
>>7812745
Man, I love some rice porridge. It's wildly varied, but I'd blame my Chinese heritage for learning about all kinds of it.

Then, there's always things like oatmeal, mashed potatoes, stew, soup, or chopped hash.
>>
File: TMJ-Diagram.jpg (143 KB, 800x714) Image search: [Google]
TMJ-Diagram.jpg
143 KB, 800x714
>>7812793
TMJ is a kind of general description of the problem, but yeah. It's been resolved now. I just have to be super careful to not fuck up the joint again while it's healing.

>>7812801
>>7812804
Thanks for the input friends but I was hoping for some more specific ideas such as jambalaya, gumbo, etc. It doesn't have to be ground to a pulp or pureed for me to eat it. If it can be cut into pill sized pieces, I can swallow it hole. Stuff like jambalaya with bite sized pieces of meat, rice, some veggies, etc. would be fairly easy to eat if it were all diced well enough.

For example, I had a piece of cajun grilled grouper and shrimp on top of pasta with a cajun aioli from a restaurant near my surgeon's office today. I had to cut it into tiny pieces but I was still able to just swallow it whole.
>>
>>7812836
Hey, so that means you can chew.

Shepherd's pie, chili, enchiladas, and fried rice it is then.
>>
>>7812853
Nah senpai. I can't chew. I can just swallow it whole. I gotta dice shit up into tiny, bite sized pieces that can be swallowed.
>>
File: Barbacoa_(en_Hidalgo).jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Barbacoa_(en_Hidalgo).jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7812745
soups and stews. get your mom to put it in a blender. and suck it through a slurpee straw. so you dont have to move your jaw.
>>
>>7812863
Well, minus those enchiladas then. Still recommend the zuk.
>>
SOYLENT
O
Y
L
E
N
T
>>
K R A F T D I N N E R
R
A
F
T

D
I
N
N
E
R
>>
Stuff that works for wisdom teeth somewhat applies.

tomato bisque, smoothies, just the flavor packet from ramen with some marmite stirred in, milk.

Would oatmeal work?
>>
Try some pureed/strained soups, bruno albouze has some recipes for some good ones
>>
>>7812769
>>7812836
>TMJ
i feel you bro, its never gotten that insane for me, but i need to wear a custom mouthguard at night and every now and then it locks up something awful
>>
Maybe you could eat ramen if you break the noodles up into small pieces.
>>
File: verdegazpoch.jpg (19 KB, 335x450) Image search: [Google]
verdegazpoch.jpg
19 KB, 335x450
Because of you predicament and also because it is summer I would suggest you look up some gazpacho recipes, especially verde and white ones. Other than that by a slow cooker if you don't already have one and make stews. Hell you could slow cook Korean bbq style beef and pork in broth to the point that it is so soft a baby could eat it (or swallow in your case). Smoothies and flan are probably a good go to if you are craving something sweet.
>>
>>7814112
I dig these suggestions a lot.

Light soups would be good, especially since it's summer. Smoothies are always a good idea, just have to watch out for seeds and stuff that might get caught in the wound if in fact that's a worry. Cheesecake is good if you want something sweet as well.

But yea, other stuff like mashed taters, yogurt, etc etc has been mentioned. Sorry to hear about that dude, does not sound like fun. Cheers to a speedy and painless recovery!
>>
>>7814198
Thanks senpai but there's no wound inside my mouth. It was an arthroscopic surgery done from the side of my face just in front of the ear.
>>
>>7812769
holy shit my jaw pops like shit op am I fucked?

also various soups, curries, hummus...egg drop soup and cauliflower shit come to mind. Rice porridge, puddings...you'll get through this, and you'll come out of it with even more of an appreciation for solid food.
>>
>>7814962
Getting it checked out involves an MRI so just wait for it to transition into pain I guess. If it doesn't then you're probably fine.

My surgery cost $12,000, not including the MRI, doctor visits, prescriptions after the surgery, and the gas to drive 2 hours to, and from, the surgeon and the hospital. Luckily I'm still on my parent's insurance and it only cost like $300 out of pocket.
>>
>>7812745
Broccoli soup with goat cheese. Simple and tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A
>>
>>7812745
I'll give you my favorite smoothie recipe.
1 Frozen mature banana, preferible with the dark spots. (just peel it and then freeze it)
1 big sized yellow mango. It has emanate yellowness and smell yellow as fuck.
1 half full of spinach.
250 - 300 ml water, soy or free lactose milk.
3 or 4 ice cubes.

You won't fucking regret I bet my left foot you'll want more. Tastes really good and gives you a super energy/mood boost.
>>
>>7817283
Soz meant hand full.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.