[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else on /ck/ a legitimate alcoholic? >sad, depressed,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 16
File: POPOV750.jpg (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
POPOV750.jpg
144 KB, 640x480
Anyone else on /ck/ a legitimate alcoholic?

>sad, depressed, PTSD from Army, molested by neighbor when i was a kid
>drink literally all the time im not at work, including on the train going to work
>drink only vodka and water to ease hangover an because vodka is cheap and i like the taste of it
>have to take benzodiazepines before going to work so my hands don't shake or have crippling anxiety
>still pour sweat like a fountain
>just to go to work i spend 60 dollars a month on temazepam
>drink a gallon and half of vodka a week

>216 a month on alcohol
>60 a month on temazepam so i can GO to work

How long do i have to live bros?

>only thing i drink. Only $17 with tax a half gallon
>>
To me, your post is a cry for help. I think that you should try to wean off. Like, just get drunk one day instead of getting smashed. Then just get tipsy. Then try one day with no booze. The best way to get through this day is just to not buy any booze, not have any around. The no booze day will suck, and you will shake, and it might help if you could have somebody with you to keep you from rushing to the store to buy booze. But you will make it. And you will feel so good after a day of not drinking... you might be tired etc. but you will feel your body in its semi-normal state for the first time in a while.

That feeling was enough for me to cut WAY back. I became an alcoholic because of crippling depression and am proud to say that I was able to put it behind me-- at least those levels of alcoholism and suffering.

I'm sorry about your misfortune in life. You have to accept that you are creating more problems for yourself by drinking so much. You ask about how long you have to live. I'm not a doctor but you can be sure that you are doing serious damage to your brain and body when you drink that much. It's not sustainable.

Try to wean down and take a day off, anon.
>>
>>7823938
>To me, your post is a cry for help
far from it. Just wanted to know how many people on /ck/ are really alcoholics.

Ya, I do want to quit but I don't go to drs, AA is a cult, and im so depressed when i don't drink that it affects my personal relationships with my family.

I think the longest I've gone without drinking is 19 hours and I was sweating so much I had the A.C on 50F. The lowest it would go
>>
I'm a complete alcoholic, and yet I've never gone through withdrawals. I'm not sure why, just haven't.
>>
>>7823949
How much/what do you drink? An for how long have you been drinking in excess?
>>
>>7823947
OK, well I didn't mean the "cry for help thing" in a belittling way... maybe solidarity, call it what you want.

That's pretty impressive that you went 19 hours. You obviously have a lot of willpower. You should keep using your willpower, cuz, you know, most alcoholics are forced to stop drinking: either severe health issues, DUIs, family or police intervention, death, etc.

Btw I'm the guy who wrote the first response. I'm 23, drank myself to brown-out/black-out levels every night off whiskey since I was 18. It was the worst when I was 21 cuz I was taking prescription amphetamines just to work (similar to your situation, only different drug). It wasn't until I was 22 that I started figuring out that I could wean off and control my tolerance and habits. Switched to fake syrup for a couple of weeks (nighttime sleep aid, diphenhydramine 15-30mg) mixed with sprite for a nighttime beverage that knocks me right out.

These days there are one or two nights out of a month that I drink whiskey. I tend to just drink wine or beer, but I fucking hate beer these days cuz of the calories. I mostly regard the hard liquor as the devil because I always always get way too fucked up too fast whenever I have it around.
>>
>>7823953
Well, I had quit completely for over a year at one point, but before that I had been drinking a fifth a day for about seven years. Then came that quit for over a year, now I'm drinking about six drinks a day about four times a week, and it's been that way for about nine months.
>>
>>7823965
No didn't think of it as belittling. I just meant i don't like attention.

Example-posting my problems online anonymously instead of talking to someone in person like my older siblings.

I can't drink wine, taste like shit and gives me a worst hangover then drinking a 5th of sugary ass rum and coke before bed

Beer taste good but you can't get drunk from it. I was thinking of cutting back by using beer during the work week and only getting drunk on the weekend. Plus beer is kind of more socially acceptable to be drinking at noon on a Monday, especially around family.

I honestly wish I had never started drinking when I was 16 (28 now). I did it mostly to mask what my neighbor had done to me, then after the military, I had a compulsion to drink more because I was in combat. Not just loading trucks at the base.

I admire you were able to almost completely quit, especially with just OTC drugs (not counting the amphetamine that wasn't helping you quit anyway)
I'll give the beer a shot and see if i can get on the same routine you're on or at least not be drunk everyday. My stomach is constantly in pain and its 24/7 365 of diarrhea. That's not a normal life
>>
i am trying to stop drinking because i think it is ruining my meditation settings
>>
>>7823978
Is your drinking slowly increasing? Or staying the same? You know....tolerance. I was just curious if you think you might back to the 5th a day routine?

Wish you luck
>>
>>7823947
There's probably a good book on quitting drinking. Check out Amazon, you'd be surprised how well some of these methods work. On a side note, if you are sweating so much when trying to stop, make sure you drink a lot of water.

Also, there was this guy who had smoked for 30 years, tried to quit on his own, only ended up crying etc. So he saw this lady who gave him some great advice. "Whenever you feel like a cigarette, you will drink water instead." So he drank tons and tons of water, and eventually the cravings stopped. He's been of them for 8 years now, no relapse. So maybe try that, when you want booze, go for water, drink a ton of it.
>>
No, but I don't keep beer in the fridge and I only drink when I'm either out to eat or hanging out with friends because I'm terrified of becoming an alcoholic.
>>
>>7823922
No one cares. This is not fucking cooking related.
>>
>>7823947
>don't do drs

Sadly, you're gonna need it because both of your vices are involved with GABA signaling which have seriously dangerous effects when you cut back.

Booze, Benzos, and Barbituates don't mix, please seriously seek help
>>
>>7823995
It's slowly increasing, then I'll quit for about a week. Going on vacation with my mom for three weeks coming soon, so I think I'll barely drink during that time, so hopefully that will reset my tolerance.
>>
>>7824006
I know all about what happens if i stop using GABA agonists. But Weening is a thing right? An people can do that at home
>>
>>7824014
You can but make sure somebody's watching you and can get you to a hospital if things start going south fast
>>
>>7824019
Good idea.

Obviously no one wants to live their whole life a drunk unless your writing a book.

When I start the wheening I'll be sure to have someone who knows im quitting drinking/ taking sedatives with me when I start. Like one of my siblings or pay an off duty nurse from the VA or something.
>>
File: 17_ZQ_WarmingBerry_1550x1550.jpg (27 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
17_ZQ_WarmingBerry_1550x1550.jpg
27 KB, 460x460
>>7823985
Definitely try the nighttime sleep-aid. You can buy it at CVS or a similar store. Mix the recommended dosage with some sprite on the rocks and drink it an hour before you want to pass out-- try earlier hours, like 9 or 10 PM. Careful, the stuff hits you hard. Make sure there is absolutely nothing you need to do besides sleep.

I'm telling you, it beats the hell out of staying up late getting fucked up on booze only to get some horrible sweaty sleep and wake up feeling like human trash. Gives some interesting, introspective dreams as well (from my experience).

Sorry again for the fucked up shit that happened to you, anon.
>>
>>7823922
I was on temazepam, clonazepam and lorazepam. Taking a few benzos with alcohol really increases the effects of the booze, but it is easy to go way overboard and black out. Once I took at least 30 different pills, drank as much bourbon as I could, blacked out, and got arrested. I can barely remember that day and the 2 or 3 that followed.

I weaned myself off the benzos without the help of a doctor, but depending on your dosage, how long you've been taking them, and if you've ever abused them, there can be serious risks. I had a friend who had seizures and shit when he tried to quit cold turkey.
>>
I drink right around 750ml a day right now. no fun.

kudzu root pills help but its got me good. liver bell goes off about 8PM and I drink until 11-12, try to go to sleep

>can't drink=can't sleep and fucked most of the day
>drink=hungover and fucked most of the day

hell on earth
>>
>>7824137
No shit right? I got sent home early after a storm at work knocked out the power. Still feelings the effects of temazepam an went home and started drinking. drank about 3/4 of a 5th and dont remember anything after that.

but apparently i made a few phone calls

Called my sister out of state and told her she was a whore and i hated her hippy lifestyle and her dumb ass deadbeat husband. An told her to get her tubes tied because she couldn't raise a child or something to that extent

Didn't remember a wink of it in the morning. Only found out the next day when my brother text me asking why i did that. Because I don't really talk to my sister at all, especially on the phone. Hadn't spoken in 5 years on the phone or in person before that call lol

What did you get arrested for out of curiosity
>>
File: Diphenhydramin.svg.png (6 KB, 251x257) Image search: [Google]
Diphenhydramin.svg.png
6 KB, 251x257
>>7824114
> Warming Berry
> Diphenhydramine
> Non Habit Forming
Truly, the US is a paradise for marketing. It does not form a physical habit, but I'm on the stuff for 15 years now. On the plus side, I'm still alive.
>>
>>7823947
You're depressed when you drunk too, you just escape from it. Ask your family for help or depend on friends if you have them. It's easier to control urges when someone else is looking out for you.
>>
>>7823922

I'm with you OP. Drink atleast a pint of vodka a day, lately 2. Has been this way since last year I always had troubles with substances (daily stoner since I was 12, took way too many psychedelics as a teen and was basically addicted to DXM for years and have gone through heavy drinking periods, throw in oxy addiction and a flirtation with coke for a few months for good meaaure). Only long and real relationship of my life ended last year after 3 years and just lost my will yo care anymore. Especially when she proceeded to fuck 3 of my friends and now dates one of them, who is in a band with one of my best friends so she basically stole my fucking social circle too. Have lost 3 jobs in that span and of course doesnt help I worked in a liquor store. Started drinking from when i woke up til when i fell asleep. Stealing nips from work and shit, how i lost that job. Now im legit.scared i wont be able to stop. The only days I havent drank in the past year are when i do another drug like DXM or tramadol.

I feel you OP. I had a bank account with actual money in it for the first time in my life and i drank and smoked it all away in about a month. Small town and i only have retail experence so i have no idea when ill have a job again. Atleast i dont have constant IBS anymore like i did thoae first few months of hard drinking guesa my stomach got used to it.

That felt good to write. Cheaper than the therapy i desperately need.
>>
File: sketch-1467059916924.png (781 KB, 1080x1190) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1467059916924.png
781 KB, 1080x1190
>>7823922
Not an alcoholic but

POPOV
O
P
O
V
>>
>>7823922
I can only drink like once every couple of weeks now because the anti-depressants make my hangovers so bad.

I think I'm going to get off the pills and go full alcky.
>>
>>7824388
For sleep?
>>
Alcohol is shit, it just lies to you every single day promising to help you by replacing your stress and anxiety with peaceful calmness, even years after you've developed too much tolerance to appreciate the effects

The best way to quit is to get smart, write/type down how you feel every day when you are drunk and after a couple weeks use it as evidence to convince your sober self that drinking isn't doing anything but wasting your money and keeping you from feeling better

That's the most important thing, you need to help your sober self because your drunk self is irrational and won't listen you
>>
>>7823947
>AA is a cult
There are assholes in any group, but AA is mostly well meaning people. I doubt you've ever been to a meeting. I thought the same way as you before I ever went to a meeting. I was going to die and I fought getting any help for years and saying this on 4chan sounds strange but, there is hope for everyone. You need to be medically detoxed first however.
>>
>>7824776
Not the anon you replied to but I agree 100% that AA is a cult. If you get involved seriously in AA they will take over basically every aspect of your life, and as a result they control who you associate with, how you spend your time, who you date, etc. Do they mean well? Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that they will turn you into a mindless zombie incapable of thinking for yourself.
>>
ever consider switching to weed?
>>
File: 1462722965788.jpg (27 KB, 508x566) Image search: [Google]
1462722965788.jpg
27 KB, 508x566
>>7824864
Well AA look like CCCP or Orwell 1984 then.
>>
>"The doc he says it'll kill me but he can't say when"

As a fellow vet I'm gonna say you need help, professional help. Don't know the where and why of your PTSD but PTSD isn't a permanent condition, unlike what the VA compensation makes it out to be. You need to stop letting past tragedies/trauma define you.

>Yeah, you're gonna die and you are picking a particularly shitty way to do it.

Best case scenario is you live to be in your 60's and die of over failure which results in you loosing your fucking mind as your body's metabolism poisons your brain.

>You need a reason to quit.
>You need to find a reason to live.

You ain't gonna do either until you hit rock bottom/make a choice. I knew a guy that didn't hit rock bottom on his heroin addiction until he traded his dog to a dope dealer for a balloon, knowing his dope guy was going to use it for bait for training a fighting dog.
>>
>>7824733

While I agree with your sentiments some of us have seen the serious ramifications of our addiction (jobs lost, relationships ruined, health problems) and still continue because they just dont know any other way to cope with stress, depression, mental and physical disabilities etc.

I believe everyone has the capability to overcome a serious addiction some of us just don't know how to start but most importantly dont want to. As fucking pathetic as it sounds I havent expected to live past the age of 50 (bout the same age my amazing and loving and intelligent father had on this earth, sober for most of my life but overcame to an oxy OD after years of sobriety).
>>
>>7824864

Absolute bullshit. Its a room full of people with seriously addictive personalities so yes many obsessively attend meetings for years on end. And many use it as a support group until theyre ready to do it on their own, like the two dozen people I call friends and family who have been sober yeara thanks to this program. I get the cultish rhetoric but you clearly dont know what youre talking about if you think attending group therapy meetings two hours a week makes you a cult member. They ask NOTHING of their attendees and are extraordinarily friendly and understanding people mostly. They pass around a donation plate thats about it. No one cares or judges you if you cant donate and literally 100% of that goes back into keeping the groups running.

Sounds like youre judging an entire group of people trying to save themselves and others based on some person who was in the program and talked about it too much. You dont know the first thing about what the program actually is and how many lives it has helped save.
>>
>>7823922
I am posting this from an AA meeting, it has not started yet. So, yes op.
>>
I'm not really sure if I'm alc or not. But I will admit that I binge drink on weekends; a third of a fifth of whatever I have on hand at 2 PM, gets me pretty smashed. At 9:30 PM, I finish off the bottle.
I'm not really sure I understand psychologically what happens to real alcs. Do they constantly think about it? Get excited when it's time to drink?

Through weekdays I can hold back, maybe have a thought or two of what I should pick up from the store on Friday nights, but nothing more than that.
>>
>>7823922
1. read Marcus Aurelius
2. if that fails, kys
>>
>>7825140
You're an idiot. I have experienced the cult like nature of AA first had. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the people who casually go to meetings. I'm talking about the people who get involved in the 'service' work such as being a part of the committees for the budget and other organizational roles.

These are the people that eat, sleep and literally live AA 24/7. They can't wipe their ass without asking their sponsor for permission first. I've seen them turn loved ones against each other, just like fucking cults do. Most people that go to meetings aren't like this, but the ones at the top and in control of everything for the most part are in a militant like cult.

AA can be good and it can save lives, but it's not for everybody. Anyone who tells you different is a fucking retard.
>>
>>7823922

>17 a handle with tax

I'm from Chicago, work near Indiana. Quick trip over the border nets you a handle of Crystal Palace for 8 dollars. 8.55 including tax. You'd kill yourself.
>>
>>7823922
After seeing nothing but political trash for the last twenty or so years, I decided that if brexit were to happen, I would stop drinking.
For once in my life I've seen a nation collectively demand freedom without suicide bombing airlines to do it.
If that's still possible, then maybe everything isn't so bad after all.
>>
>>7825212
>AA can be good and it can save lives, but it's not for everybody.

As a passerby to this argument you're having, I gotta say, that's an almost complete reversal on your part. You're shifting goalposts brazenly. "It's not for everyone, if it works for you that's great but don't try to force it on people who don't like it as if it's the only way" is a far fucking cry from "They will turn you into mindless zombie incapable of thinking for yourself".
Don't be a prick. Other guy is coming from a human perspective and you're trying to use rhetorical doubletalk to defend yourself as you shit on something that can, and has, saved many lives, including his. Don't be a prick.
>>
My gf works at a bar and drinks quite a lot in general
How do I determine if she might be an alcoholic?
>>
>>7825307
Is there an addiction rate for alcohol? I don't think there's something that has a 100% rate of addiction, not even things like heroin. Very high but not certain.
>>
>>7825291
That was why I clarified in my second post about AA that I was specifically talking about the die hard AA nazi's and not AA in its entirety.

And literally nothing in your post does anything to disprove my statements. Cry all you want, the fact that I clarified my statement is in no way evidence my point isn't valid. Like I said, I have seen it with my own eyes. I'm not even trying to get people to stay away from AA, I simply want others to be aware that this part of AA exists.

Some make AA their life, and it consumes them. On the other hand, some of those people might be dead from drinking if they didn't take it to that extreme. I have seen AA change many people drastically, and not always for the better.
>>
>>7825347
>On the other hand, some of those people might be dead from drinking if they didn't take it to that extreme.

Yep, most likely
>>
Why is /ck/ the place to go alcohlism?
Why here?

I just started coming here the other day.
I didn't expect my two favourite things to intersect.

Also, I'm crying on the inside because I only have 200 mls of rum, a 1L of wine, and 2 beers for tonight.
>>
>tfw work at a liquor store
>see the same alcoholics come in every day

it's an abstract kind of feel
>>
>>7825555
I always fear this.
That clerks will recognize me.
I rotate stores because of this.
>>
>>7825566
I just hope the mouthy bitches keep their shitters shut about me so others don't find out.

Isn't it illegal for a clerk to relay things you've purchased specifically to others with mal intent?
I had it happen a couple years ago and I worry that it'll happen again.
>>
>>7825307
the symptoms of alcoholism vary from person to person. some people have to start drinking first thing in the morning just to make it through the day, and some people dont but every time they drink they cant stop at a reasonable amount, they HAVE to get completely obliterated.

Is she constantly drunk? has to drink to get through the day? cant go more than a day (or a couple of hours) without drinking?

Also, if you are worried you can try talking to her about it
>>
>>7825590
>had it happen a couple of years ago
what?
story
>>
>>7825591
>every time they drink they cant stop at a reasonable amount, they HAVE to get completely obliterated.
That's me.
I get anxious every time I drink if I don't have enough to forget who I am
>>
>>7825601
im sorry to hear that friend. i hope that you can come to terms with whatever you hate about yourself enough someday that you don't have to do that
>>
>>7825598
Middle aged female clerk hit my family and church up for me buying a case of beer, which I did every 2 days.
I was fucking mad because I didn't even know her. Nothing came of it but a shit name because Christians here have a pretty bad opinion of alcohol.
>>
>>7825678
>a case of beer, which I did every 2 days.
>buying beer to get drunk

Nigga, you deserve it.
It makes you fat, which accelerates your tolerance.
>>
>>7825688
I weighed 130 all that summer. I weigh 135 now. Lupus anon, why would I not drink? Rather just hurt? No.

You'd be fucking losing it if your alcohol purchases were reported to your own grandmother by a random store clerk.
>>
I was an alcoholic from 15-20 years old. Then I tried weed, and gradually stopped drinking in favor of the weed. I can't feel anything strongly, I don't care about anything, I can't form relationships that are meaningful and I can't find joy in anything. Felt like that since I was 15, drank to make the pain stop. I'm not really better now (23), I still can barely work because of my awful anxiety when speaking to any human. I can manage it with the cannabis and get by, though. Plus I can drive, be in public, and it won't kill me. Definitely feels like a huge step forward. I would recommend it to any alcoholic.
>>
>>7825678
wow, thats fucking awful. i am sorry to hear that
>>
>>7825699
>130
Jesus Christ.
Nigga, you like 5'3'' or something?
>>
>>7823922
my brother is, he's had two duis in the last year and a half and they wanted to throw the book at him for the second one but he got an expensive lawyer and ended up with probation, drug tests and the like and everyone thought that was the worst of it.

He was leaving AA a few weeks later when he had a seizure most likely brought on by alcohol and Xanax withdrawal, cracked his head on the sidewalk and he's been in the icu the last 12 days, he had to have a life saving surgery, he's now classified as epileptic due to the seizures. The bills from the icu alone are over 40 thousand dollars, my family is a nervous wreck basically living at the hospital waiting to hear any news...It's some fucked up shit.

Please if you're going to try to quit and you've been drinking extensively, wean yourself off. it can and does fucking kill people
>>
>>7825711
5'10" Poverty + sickness.
>>
>>7825736
Holy shit! I'm 5'4'' and I weigh 140. Im poor as fuck. Sickness is horrible...
>>
>>7825736
I guess I can feel that.
I was 6'00 and 135 when I was depressed.

I'm just fucking glad I didn't know about alcohol then
>>
Who /pintglassofwine/ here?
>>
>>7825759
Anyone that can get their hands on one.
>>
>>7825566

liquor store anon here again.

we get a lot of repeat customers but I make it a point not to judge most people harshly. The worst I think are people who come in every day and buy a pint of the cheapest vodka with cash.

I personally like seeing familiar faces though. It's a fun job for the most part but it has its quirks.
>>
>>7825893
Do you try to talk to people though?

I hate that.
I just want to put my booze on the counter, say I'm paying debit, thank them, and leave.
>>
>>7825759
I use stemware but I bring the box to my desk so...
>>
>>7823922
i use to be a alcoholic but then i took herion once and all the cravings went away but then i had to deal with the herion cravings
>>
>>7825957
I will never take heroin because I know what it is.
It's pure happiness.
Pure joy.

I sometimes feel a shade of it in my life, on a good day.

I know if I could do an action to make that feeling happen purely, I'd always do it.

I cannot ever do heroin.

Alcohol is the lesser evil.
>>
>>7825964
i make my own alcohol and i cant get my hands on herion easily in this case it was the lesser of 2 evils i haven't done it in months and now i just drink on weekends
>>
>>7825980
It's Monday, nigga.
Why are you here?
>>
File: 1424690249422.jpg (57 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1424690249422.jpg
57 KB, 640x640
>>7823922
I'd call myself a drunk, more so than an alcoholic.

>because I like making the joke that you're not an alcoholic unless you go to meetings

Drink about a little less than half a handle of cheap whisky (1.75L) every night.

Have always had shaky hands (pretty sure it's genetic, since my grandma had incredibly shaky hands), but they don't get too much worse the morning after.

I sweat like a motherfucker, though. On top of the hangover, I'm fairly fat (partly due to whisky having calories).

Don't really drink during the day, maybe once or twice a month.

Probably suffering from depression but the alcohol works as medicine for me. Been doing this for roughly 3 years. I don't do other drugs (anymore), but I take milk thistle, licorice extract, fennel, B vitamins (got scared about Beri Beri) and sometimes soy lecithin (hate the burps I get from it). Also, mad amounts of water. All I drink is water and whisky.

I don't hide it from friends/family, but I definitely downplay the quantities involved. Hell, my mom got me a bottle of Wild Turkey and a bottle of Bulleit reserve bourbon for my birthday last year.

I ain't worried.
>>
soon to be alcoholic here. Cant function socially without drinking, literally hate humanity until i have a few in me. Only girl i cared about killed by drunk driver beginning of month. Life spiraling the drain. What do /ck/, what do.
>>
>>7826059
If you drink every night, you're an alcoholic.
That's just it.

I restrict myself to drinking once every 2-3 nights and I get all the things you have.
The sweats? That's withdrawal. I hate it.
I get it like 16 hours after my last drink.
Sweating out that last acetaldehyde.
Shaking hands? That's serious shit.
Fuck yo family history. That's what I get when I binge multiple days in a row.

You're an alcoholic. Like I am.
Like we are.
Accept it.
>>
>>7826071
>One specified instance of pain
Nah, you're good.

You're trying to balm your pain with booze. That will pass.
You're only truly an alcoholic if you can go 5 years trying to salve every day life.

You have a legit reason to feel sad.
When it passes, you'll be ok again.
Drink up, but when you feel secure, let it go.
>>
File: alcoholism.jpg (734 KB, 2958x2448) Image search: [Google]
alcoholism.jpg
734 KB, 2958x2448
>>7825140
>>7825212
Both of you have valid points.

The whole cult thing is slightly being hyperbolic, but in regards of it not being for everyone, you're correct, there are just some people that AA doesn't work for.

Personally, I worked all 12 steps in AA and then kinda floundered in NA for a few years. Got clean and learned not to do stupid shit.

Spent a few more years completely abstaining then decided to stop going to meetings every god damn day because I had shit to do.

I enjoyed my time there all in all, though. Helped me get through a rough patch of my life and all the fucking hugs are great.

Big, burly, ex-methhead bikers give the very best hugs.

>tfw you also get to hug the qt3.14s too.

I like the literature from AA more than NA, though. Bill Wilson had a way with words, the NA literature is real dry and sterile - some of the personal stories are cool.
>>
>>7826077
>Shaking hands? That's serious shit.
>Fuck yo family history. That's what I get when I binge multiple days in a row.

Nice dubs and I concede to your other points, but I stand by my point I made earlier, I've always had shaky hands.

I'm drunk as fuck right now and my hands are shaking.

Like my GP has noted it when I was growing up and even tried a few medications but nothing really helped.

Also the not being an alcoholic thing was just to make that shitty dad-tier joke.
>>
>don't drink because of reasons relating to my father dying from it, my family has a long line of alcoholics and I don't want to fall into that trap
>don't get invited to parties because of it
>get really depressed because I desperately want a social life but no one seems to want to give me one
>try to organise social events myself but only a handful of people come, all the drinking people just shrug them off because no one will be shitfaced
>even though I enjoy parties, so many people my age have social gatherings which are literally just drinking and absolutely nothing else
>constantly have an internal debate about whether I start drinking to fit in, or whether that makes me an inherently weak person
>I know that if I give in it will almost definitely begin a spiral into becoming my father

Fun times over here family.
>>
>>7826102
Maybe it true
I'm drunk as shit and my hands are mostly stable.

Either way, step 1 on AA is accepting that you are an addict.
I know I am.

The rest is faggotry, but at lest I know what I am.
I'm an alcoholic and I need to be to survive this life
>>
File: 1400314667618.jpg (218 KB, 1584x816) Image search: [Google]
1400314667618.jpg
218 KB, 1584x816
>>7826109
>Either way, step 1 on AA is accepting that you are an addict.
>I know I am.
Same.

Found out through hard drugs that nearly killed me.

Not saying alcohol won't, and really in the long run it's probably worse physically than most pills, but it's not illegal, it's cheaper and unless you can't hold your shit together people won't look down on you.

In fact, in my experience, people almost respect you for being able to pull corks and keep your shit straight.

Again, not that it's good, just observations.
>>
>>7826122
>people almost respect you for being able to pull corks and keep your shit straight.
That's my gambit.
If I can still act normal while every night be who I want to be, then I've won.

To have a full paying job and get shitfaced every night, that's who I want to be
>>
File: 1383177043953.jpg (419 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1383177043953.jpg
419 KB, 1024x683
>>7826129
That's basically what I do now.

I work 35 hours a week and go to school part time (wanna be a full time wageslave normalfag).

I do work in the food service industry, so being up on my feet helps to mitigate the effects of the hangover.

I'm vocal that my hobby is basically getting drunk and have hung out with multiple people outside of work to drink.

At my old job, I used to get drunk at work because the owners knew I could be drunk and still effectively work as a cook. I willingly cut back because the drunk driving after work started to scare me.

I could drink at work right now, but I choose not to because of the following:

>much more customer interaction
>corporate store, and while my bosses are cool and I've asked them what they'd do if I came to work drunk, they're both not happy with the idea so I don't
>as mentioned earlier, don't like drunk driving
>the environment is different enough that it's more difficult to get drunk at work

Also, I've grown to relish waking up, dealing with the sweats at work, pulling a solid 9 hour shift, coming home, taking my pants off, sitting in my designated shitposting armchair and getting hammered.

The same thing happened to me when I used to smoke pot. If I smoked it all the time, it wasn't really the same high feeling.

If you're high/drunk all the time, it becomes the new normal and it's no longer enjoyable.

I enjoy my nightly drinking. I never fiend for it or look forward to it more so than I do sitting down after being on my feet for so long.

Some of my co-workers do say I drink to much, but fuck 'em.
>>
>>7826059
What's with all the supplements? All I take (on top of my multi and fish oil) are b vitamins to prevent nerve damage, magnesium taurate for its deficiency in alcoholics, and milk thistle for the liver placebo. Would to tudca, but I'm not sure the amount of time you have to wait between drinking and tudca to do actual liver repair.
>>
>>7826213
Milk thistle, licorice and fennel are all supposed to be good for your liver. Soy lecithin is also good for the liver and various other things. B vitamins to avoid beri beri and the B12 feels good (prolly just placebo). Can't really hurt and they're not expensive.

Was unaware about the magnesium, I'm going to pick some up.
>>
>>7825591
I'm the latter. Mostly because my job is physical and I shouldn't be even a little tipsy unless I want to stay uninjured/alive.

Friday nights I drink. Weekend I drink. Monday night I drink since I've got shit to do that morning/afternoon.
>>
File: 1434856585747.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1434856585747.webm
2 MB, 640x640
Well I probably am

I drink all day, every day. Live with my parents (graduated this June)

Mainly mouthwash but switch to vodka around 9

Should've graduated last year but didn't because I was afraid and went on benders to forget

If I have something to do that I deem important im fine but I have started to occasionally to have dry heaves if I don't drink

Do have a gf and don't think she knows but she probably does.

Also I beat myself most nights, I must atone for being a waste of carbon and being a disappointment
>>
>>7825743
I'm 6'1 132lbs, I'm so fucking depressed I don't eat, drink constantly, sometimes I do heroin, my life sucks. I got fucking arrested tonight just to make things worse
>>
File: 0basI.jpg (46 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
0basI.jpg
46 KB, 600x476
>>7826556
>Also I beat myself most nights, I must atone for being a waste of carbon and being a disappointment

wtf does this mean?
>>
>>7826288
You seem to know your shit. Home remedies/herbalism is a hobby of mine. Soy lechetin and good fish oil are good for your liver for sure. Also, get an "energy" supplement for all your b vitamins, great for people that drink.

You can take licorice to calm your nerves.

I got into this stuff because, as weird as this sounds I used to do some home movies with my girlfriend and wanted to have huge peter north style loads for her face. Soy lechetin is one of the supplements you take for that and after taking it for several days straight I noticed hangovers werent so bad. Maybe it was just a placebo though.
Yes all the supps helped me cum more, no I wont post the videos.
>>
>>7823922
>has benzos
>is complaining
man the fuck up and taper down you pussy
>>
>>7823922
yoyo, benzos+alcohol is mondo dangerous, just so u know
>>
>ptsd

hahahahahahahaha pussy
>>
Dead sober and suicidal for 18 years. Drank heavily as soon as I turned 18 (Amerifat, but my mother bought it for me, and when she didn't my grandmother did). I was drunk - completely black out shit faced drunk - every weekend and whenever I could during the week.

All of my friends drank, too, so that didn't help.

Fortunately, less than a year later I discovered weed and my girlfriend at the time pushed me heavily to switch because it wouldn't kill me as fast.

I don't like drinking much anymore, but I know that I would resume if I couldn't smoke. If I smoke enough I green out, fall asleep, and it's all okay. Until then I just listen to music/watch movies/eat.

It's better but it's not a quality life.
>>
>>7823922
omae wa mou shindeiru
>>
>>7823938
nah its not a cry for help. it's a self-hating I-am-a-special-addict kind of post. essentially he thinks he's justified in his alcoholism due to past experiences and he thinks those experiences make him a special alcoholic, and all the other alcoholics totally aren't even serious about it.
>>
I drank for 3 days in a row so far. This morning my stomach can't hold anymore wine, it is just puking it out. I have 2 more bottles of this swill to get through and I don't want to to sober up yet. Is there anything I can do?
>>
>>7826703
>Suicidal
>friends
>girlfriend
>greening out
Fuck off
>>
>>7827493
Get funnel, pour wine in ass, lie on stomach until all the alcohol is absorbed, reduce strain on liver, die from alcohol poisoning anyway.
>>
>>7826786
dis 2bh
>>
>>7824014
If you're gonna do that, bear in mind it might be difficult to get the hang of it the first time. The first time I tapered off, I couldn't manage to drink any less than before without suffering moderate withdrawals, especially since I couldn't sleep and so needed to drink more to get through that time. I find it easiest to wait as long as possible in the day before having my first, then I can have enough to get to sleep. My withdrawals qlso decrease exponentially this way, since they're a lot worse of you drink upon waking, as opposed to only in the evening.
>>
>>7825893
I used to work at a gas station that sold booze and this same old guy, probably in his late 60s used to come in every day shaky as hell to buy his 2 liters of Kessler, he could hardly hand me the money he'd be shaking so bad, it was almost like full blown parkinsons. I felt so bad every time and it really made me cut down on my drinking since I don't want to end up like that
>>
I was with family last weekend and didn't drink during the day like I normally would because they'd smell it and they know I've had problems in the past. My mother called me out on my shaky hands and I had to convince her I was just cold (it was like 70 degrees out) and that I've always been a bit shaky, but she obviously knew. Felt bad man
>>
>>7826556
>mainly mouthwash

nigga what? You realize how many terrible ingredients there are in there for you right?
>>
>>7827545
I always begin to cut down a couple of days in advance in those situations. It takes me a good week to detox completely but at least by the time I see someone, it will only take a few units to keep the withdrawals at bay until they leave. It also helps that I smoke, which covers up the smell, as well as showering and brushing teeth after my last drink.
>>
>>7827502
Kek
>>
Oh man.. I've been an alcoholic for years, been through withdrawal several times, it is hell. However, I just got my first dui a few months ago and lost my job because of it. That really made me cut back on my drinking.. but now my gf and myself are beginning to fade apart. She is working all the time and all I do is sit at home like a loser. It's so tempting to just say fuck it and start drinking every day again. It doesn't seem like she cares any!ore and it hurts. I just want to drink and feel good, even if for only a short amount of time.
>>
>>7825347
Disprove your statements? Why do you expect someone to disprove anecdotal "evidence"? I understand your point of view but you are awfully militant about it and perhaps that's not the best approach,
>>
>>7827538

I don't have anyone like that where I work, at least not a regular. But yeah seeing alcoholics every day is definitely cautionary for all of us that work there. Unfortunately I'm also surrounded by cool booze that I want to try all day, so that isn't helping me.
>>
>>7823922
I used to be an alchoholic. $216 a month is nothing. I used to buy a 2 six packs a day on the regular and bottles on top of that. I used to get fucking wasted every night, hungover every fucking morning, sometimes I'd spend a few hours fucking throwing up in the early hours of the morning and sleep in the bathroom. I used to just pass out in the bathroom sometimes. Used to take shots before work and look forward to picking up a six pack after work like a ritual, immediately after work and settle down and drink; just down a beer or two in a few minutes.

It was pretty bad.

I suppose I hit rock bottom but never really realized it. There was so much stupid shit I was doing, I'm surprised I didn't die or get into a horrible accident. I did actually get into a couple of terrible accidents but they were never fatal. Could've easily died to be completely honest.

I just sort of stopped, not cold turkey but slowly and more and more I'd drink less.

Don't know why, I think I just got tired of it.
>>
>>7827571
Ya it's when I meet up with family that I really realize how big of an issue my drinking is. My parents will casually have 1 or 2 beers with dinner or while hanging out, but I'm not able to enjoy it because I'm constantly thinking about when I can have another, when withdrawals are going to start if I don't have a beer, if they notice I'm drinking quicker than them, etc. It really sucks
>>
I wouldn't say so. I mean, if it's available then I'll end up drinking it every night until I feel unwell. Because of that I don't find it difficult to talk myself out of buying it.
>>
My mom hid all my booze wtf.

I hate being a manchild.
>>
Haven't had a drink in 8 days

Feels good man
>>
>>7828735
Are you me?
>>
>>7830009
'you have to dry out tommorow, grow up"

;_;
>>
I used to be an alcoholic but stopped right after I tried weed for the first time in my early 20s

At that time I was drinking 1.5-2 litres of spirits per week, now 3 years later i only drink socially

I realised that no matter how much I drank it was never going to come close to the intoxicating effect I could get from even half a joint, so I just stopped drinking to get fucked up

Then I went through a phase for about 6 months of smoking almost every night, but I had an epiphany one night that I was wasting my life alone in my apartment eating junk food and jerking off, so I started cutting back on that too, now I'm down to a couple of times per month

Thanks for reading my blog guys
>>
I was drinking 4 to 6 hundred a month in vodka and chasers. But I got pissed off and stopped. It doesn't help stress at all. I would fly off the handle and worry myself into knots over shit that wasn't even that important. I would shake and twitch while trying to sleep. I'd have the most vivid dreams/nightmares. Sweat through the mattress. But it goes away eventually. The shit you're using to cope is making it worse. Get mad about it. You're killing yourself over your job etc and is not worth it. Seek help if you can't do it alone
>>
Am I an alcoholic if I have a pint a night?
>>
As general advice about al/ck/holism from the perspective of a substance abuser and weekend binge drinker would be to wean yourself off slowly on hard liqour and transition back to basics such as wine/beer/mead/liqueurs when you're not consuming large amounts frequently.

Reward yourself with really good hard liquor I.e if you like vodka, get some stoli or polish goodness and freeze that shit. Drinking in moderation (not in the faggot legal definition, just not blackout shit all the time) should be the patrician levels of appreciation that most of /ck/ should have, hence people getting bagged out over fast food threads.

Also get into appreciating the process of producing alcoholic drinks, get into homebrewing if you have some space at a decent room temperature and make some mead or homebrew beer from shitty pre-made recipies. Made some %9 strength beers when I was 18 and got smashed like a champ for years spending about $20-30 for 30 liters of beer.

I should cut down on smoking weed though like >>7830112 Been stuck in a 6 year depression over someone who doesn't give a fuck about me because I fucked up everything around that time of being 18
>>
Actually if you ween off alcohol too fast you will literally die. Bad thing to get addicted to. Sad!
>>
>>7830136
Depends on what you're having a pint of....>>7830136
>>
>>7823922
I don't drink as much as you do because I have a weak liver from eating too many hydrocodones(vicodin) as a teenager, used to take handfulls of them and drink, really stupid.

I can tell the apap did some damage, my body just can't handle liquor anymore so I just stick to beer and I drink every other day(6-8 beers at a time). If I tried to get drunk on liquor every day i'd probably be dead in a year.

>>7825688
>It makes you fat

Even when I used to drink a 12 pack every night I never got over 160lbs(6'1). Never made me fat.
>>
>>7828712
I referred to them as "statements". I never said it was "evidence" you autist. I have seen the cult part of AA with my own fucking eyeballs. I also stated that it doesn't represent the majority of people who attend AA meetings. Every committee is different around the country as well. I don't give one fuck if you are too buttblasted to believe me. I never told you to stop being in love with AA, I even said AA is good overall and helps many people. Once again it isn't for everyone, for every person that gets sober in AA there is someone who does it without 12 step programs.

How the fuck am I being militant? I'm sharing my honest experience, of course it's anecdotal, just as all personal experiences are, derp. Feminazi's are militant, I feel like in saying that not all AA groups have cult like behavior I'm being pretty damn fair. If I was being militant I would say all of AA is a cult. This is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>7830546
>Sad!

Fucking kek
>>
>>7831143
Why so angry?
>>
>>7831143
What do you have against feminists? There seems to be a lot of anger in you and the fact that you say "fuck" before everything just kinda underscores that. Also why dont you use a more creative insult than "autist"? Be original and less angry plzzzz
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 960x960
My god I feel deeply sorry for you bastards.

I dearly hope each one of you gets better, and stops drinking. Take the initiative and end your addiction to poison!
>>
Yeah I guess I am. I quit almost a year ago and now I have to deal with anxiety every now and again. It really sucks actually, but it's not so hard to manage.

I'm grateful something worse didn't happen.
>>
OP is me but with DUDE WEED
>>
>>7832701
>OP is me but with DUDE WEED

I was a heavy alchie and couldn't hold a job for almost a decade.

Then my doc literally told me to switch to weed and even tho I'm a stoner now, I've never been healthier, my liver is working again, I can hold a job without being constantly hung over...

Honestly, as an ex alchie what would have ended up in the streets or dead, I thank god every day for weed.
>>
Probably. I've only gone about a maximum of 3 days without drink for a long time. I usually only have about 2-3, but it has definitely made my belly slightly bigger. Don't really care though.
>>
>>7832926
>I've only gone about a maximum of 3 days without drink for a long time.
In the sense that I drink about 2 or 3 days every week. Usually the weekend and Wednesday.
>>
My Dad drinks 10 pints every day. He is 48 and has done this since he was 27. He looks about 60. Still lives with his Mum too.
>>
File: sickness.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sickness.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
hey guys why do I get so horny the day after drinking? gonna have a great jerk sesh tonight btw

pic unrelated
>>
File: 1465768641287.jpg (51 KB, 656x371) Image search: [Google]
1465768641287.jpg
51 KB, 656x371
>>7823947
>How long do i have to live bros?
not a cry for help
>>
Anyone else have problems with Nausea? I can't even drink anymore except realllllly slowly. So I don't get drunk, I just hold off the come down. I'm drenched in sweat and dry heaving. Is this withdrawal or from unhealthy lifstyle?
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.