[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to become a sushi chef. How do I achieve this goal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22
File: sushi.jpg (127 KB, 700x420) Image search: [Google]
sushi.jpg
127 KB, 700x420
I want to become a sushi chef.
How do I achieve this goal?
>>
>>7796535
Put raw fish on rice, do it over and over until it tastes good and someone pays you to do it
>>
>be japanese
>have father who owns sushi restaurant
>train from a young age

If not all three of those things are true you might as well give up now, as it's hopeless.
>>
>>7796541
>I'm a retard who can't tell asians apart.
>>7796535
stear clear of japanese establishments at first, try to get an inn at a japanese place serving non sushi, like a ramen or donburi shop. that will look good on your resume. If you want to start on sushi first thing, find a sushi restaurant staffed by koreans or chinese people. They will be more likely to give you a job. Once you have an in like that you might be able to successfully work at a sushi place run by japanese people.
>>
>>7796535
Go to a sushi school.
>>
>>7796578

>i'm a retard who can't tell asians apart

Who are you quoting?
>>
>>7796582
the person who's post I linked, because theyre a retard who cannot tell asians apart.
>>
>>7796586

It's difficult to tells Asians apart when all you have to go on is their incompetence with the English language.
>>
>>7796586
you're an idiot
>>
偽物の寿司屋なら明日にでもなれる。
それなりに寿司っぽい物を作るなら日本に行って寿司学校で数ヶ月勉強すればできる。
本物の寿司職人になるなら日本の寿司職人の下で10年以上の修行をする事になる。
>>
I'll tell you how I did it OP, and why you should absolutely not do it.

>be 18, in college for food science
>mum is a beaurocrat, does legal work for a new restaurant owner
>owner is a former food scientist from China who moved to Japan for 20 years to research soybeans
>he hires me to wash dishes, and agrees to teach me sushi
>knife, knife, knife, knife, rice, rice, rice, rice
>a year and a half passes and I'm allowed to make simple rolls and begin prepping shrimp and crabs
>quit job and travel for a year
>return, work at sushi place down the street as a dishwasher
>knife, knife, roll, roll, rice, rice, crustaceans blah blah
>find better paying sushi job at much bigger sushi joint
>start as makimono, make about 5x more sushi at 5x the speed
>eventually start being allowed to cut fish
>roll roll knife knife rice rice prep prep
>a year passes, get better at handling seafood
>get fired for skipping work to go to a festival
>get new job as catering chef doing big banquets
>move to a big city, start working at a brand new sushi joint that just opened, by now my skills are about as formidable as the next mexican sushi roller
>eventually start prepping everything, even the more complicated stuff
>getting better and faster, learning new stuff all the time
>allowed to break down, smoke, prep all the fish now
>5 years have passed and now i'm pretty bad ass at making sushi
>roll roll fish fish rice rice nigiri nigiri pickles pickles eels squid octopus etc
>quit being a sushi chef because asian chefs are assholes, wasnt making enough money to afford my rent, sick of fucking up my hands all the time
>stop working in restaurants, life is better now.
>>
>>7796592
see, this is why I said you are a retard. You lack the ability to comprehend information around you to a stunning degree, like the fact that the people speaking awful english is a great indicator that they will be speaking their native language most of the time, and the fact is, you are too dumb to tell apart 3-4 very distinct languages with different cadences and sounds.

>>7796594
autism detected.
>>
>>7796603
dog thats just food service, has nothing to do with sushi.
>>
>>7796535
it's not difficult in the slightest

1. you need a sharp knife
2. you need to know how to cut the ingredients
3. you need to know how to roll it

wala
>>
>>7796662
>make sushi for 5 years
>train under high level sushi chefs
>work hard to perfect my art
>that has nothing to do with sushi
literally what?
>>
>>7796664
he said he wants to become a sushi chef, not make shit maki rolls at home. two very different aspirations
>>
>>7796677
yes, you heard me dumbfuck, your awful experinace has nothing to do with being sushi chef. What you described is every restaurant worker's previous experience.
>>
>>7796681
There's literally no difference, he just needs to have the ingredients.
>>
>>7796686
oh, right. I forgot, you don't have to practice to make sushi. You can just watch a youtube video and make great sushi the first time. good thing for smart, experienced, renowned sushi chefs like (you) to set me straight.
>>
>>7796535
>go wash dishes at a sushi place
>wait for sushi chef to die
>leave and start your own restaurant

sushi obsession is 100% built on white one-upsmanship combined with asian mysticism. It's fish, rice, vinegar, and some veg. believe it or not, there isn't much you can influence the taste of it beyond buying quality ingredients. After you make a few thousand rolls and a couple hundred individual pieces, you'll be just as good as some 80 year old faggot who inherited a shop from his dad. so go build a shop next to a fish market, buy fresh from them daily, meme the fuck out of the decor, and fake it until you make it.
>>
>>7796689
This is the shit that internet chefs say that don't travel or have any real experience with food.

The little things in food matter, its not just the basic ingredients. Cheesesteaks are just bread, cheese, chopped up steak, and onion. Sure they're fine in other places but the best are in Philly because of all the little things they do, like the bread, how they specifically slice up the onions and steak, and the practice.

Sushi is the same, the difference between even the mediocre sushi I had when I lived in Japan and the "good" sushi I've had since moving back is stark. Theres lots of awful sushi in the US and the expensive restaurants serve decent sushi. The ingredients are basically the same but the prep certainly isn't
>>
>>7796707
oh, look, an actual chef.

I get so triggered on this board because people have no fucking idea how difficult it is just to get sushi rice to taste right.

I love when people who have never done something try and tell someone experienced that it's easy. why not walk into a dojo and challenge a grandmaster with all the fighting techniques you learned from anime while you're at it
>>
>>7796707
I like how you imply cheesesteaks are some sort of culinary goal. That's funny.
>>
>>7796715
I'm not even a chef, I've just been lucky enough to live all over the world. Regions are famous for certain foods for a reason. Even before the internet the recipes for those foods have been known for decades. Most chefs are also totally fine having a camera in the kitchen to film a special on them or to show off a recipe because they know some random real chef won't be able to copy them and definitely not some random guy off the internet
>>
>>7796697
>>durr sushi is expert onry food, no other food take skirru rike sushi
wrong dumbfuck. god damn you just have no idea do you? unless you are litterally a celebrity chef you are not going to make fucking anything as a cook.
>>
>>7796728
Its the perfect example because most people who have never had one in Philly think its so simple. I didn't even bother getting one the first year or so I lived in Philly because I thought how good can it be.

But after living there for college and going to the places that actually know how to make them (not Pat's or Geno's) they're hard to eat outside of the region.
>>
>>7796715
>durrr
dumbass just because you have to work to learn something doesn't mean you can say I'm wrong. your experiance is not special. Food takes skill, and your reward is angry bosses, long sweaty nights, and no pay. Your story is not special.
>>
>>7796715
oh look, another "it takes decades to learn to combine rice and vinegar." faggot.
80/20 rule, always. Unless OP wants to go for michelin stars or pats on the head from geriatric japanese, he doesn't need more than 2 or so years steady access to quality ingredients to get it near perfect.
>>
>>7796705
>make a few thousand rolls and a couple hundred nigiri
>start your own restaurant
>sell shit sushi with incorrent shape, texture, temperature, flavor, and mouthfeel
>waste shit tons of expensive ingredients because you dont have the skill to prep them and get sufficient yield
>don't know how to handle and store extremely sensitive imported ingredients so your shit goes bad
>nickels and dimes dont matter in the restaurant business
>little details don't matter in making superior food
>your sushi joint fails miserably and you're plunged into debt

better wise up kiddo
>>
File: lawfulevilparenting.jpg (43 KB, 510x336) Image search: [Google]
lawfulevilparenting.jpg
43 KB, 510x336
>>7796739
>pats on the head from geriatric japanese
they don't need to cook sushi well to get a pat on the head. just say "konnichiwa" and you'll get an assortment of middle ages businessmen and kawaii OLs clapping and saying "aaaa jyozu desuyo!"
>>
>>7796739
damn son. you're dumb. like painful dumb. you dont just "combine rice and vinegar"

you need certain types of rice, you need certain enzymes to break it down, you need specific time, temperature, action. you need a certain kind of equipment for a certain reason. just because you're never tasted good sushi doesnt mean its like slapping together a pizza. the difference between well made sushi rice and bullshit like (you) would make is ASTRONOMICAL

and if you can't tell the difference, well, you have no business cooking at all.
>>
File: dumb-shit.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
dumb-shit.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>7796740
holy shit get a look at this weeb. you're right anon, you need to suck an old japanese cock for a few decades before you know how to prep fish and cook rice.
>>
>>7796753
not even trolled.
>>
>>7796753
no dumbass. you need to suck cock so that people will hire you.
>>
>>7796750
someone watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi a few too many times. Its not hard to make, anon, and you'll be 80% of the way to perfection with very little effort. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that someone other than Jiro can make good sushi, but believe it or not there are other ways to learn things other than sucking someone's dick for a decade.
>>
>>7796738
that's the point im making. being a sushi chef fucking sucks, just like any other cooking job.
>>
File: poor-child.jpg (96 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
poor-child.jpg
96 KB, 724x720
>>7796750
>he thinks good sushi is more difficult to make than good pizza
>>
>>7796764
then don't spazz out when I tell you exactly that and say I'm wrong you backpeddler.
>>
>>7796763
>Living your life by the 80/20 rule
Whats its like being shitty to mediocre at everything? Im sure 70% of the population has never even attempted to make sushi, so of course with a tiny bit of practice you'll be better than them, but in reality the 20% that actually put in the effort are going to be far and away better than that lower 80%
>>
File: jesuschrist.jpg (442 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
jesuschrist.jpg
442 KB, 1500x1500
>>7796775
>you need to be in the top 20% in food quality to run a restaurant

oh anon, I hope you don't think every sushi restaurant is run by someone in the top 20%. That is true mysticism. And yes, I do live my life by the 80/20 rule, getting better at everything I try than the majority of the population is a great feeling. I know a little bit of everything, and if I fall in love with an activity I take it further.
>>
>>7796774
no, i said you were wrong because you said training to become a sushi chef has nothing to do with sushi. which makes no goddamn sense. you become a sushi chef the same way you become any chef. you work, learn, practice, and get bitched at for years and years.
>>7796763
I was already breaking down bluefin and making ebi when that documentary even came out.
>>7796769
pizza is much easier to make than sushi....GOOD pizza is a different story.
>>
>>7796782
Most of the sushi in the US is crap so I definitely don't think they're in the top 20%. The vast majority are in the 80% like you.

Once you get out of college you'll realize the world doesn't care if you're better than a child or someone who has never attempted something. People only care, give you promotions, or are impressed when you're actually really good at something.

Jack of all trades, master of none is an insult for a reason
>>
>>7796782
haaaaa
man oh man, you got a lot to learn. being that dumb and conceited at the same time, you must be a real hit with the ladies.

i'd say life's gonna rock you, but you're too deluded to even understand that you're a failure
>>
File: Targetlocked.jpg (80 KB, 593x1345) Image search: [Google]
Targetlocked.jpg
80 KB, 593x1345
>>7796791
>durrr
because it fucking doesn't you dumbass. Your experience while training is not typical of only sushi. It's not special. you lying backtracking piece of shit.
>>
>>7796792
>>7796797
You two sound like edgy teenagers
>>
>>7796792
>>7796791

Jack of all trades, master of none, though often better, than master of one.

I get it anon, you went through shit, so you think everyone else has to go through shit. Its the frat-boy way of thinking. You only get into the "you make good sushi" club by getting your balls fondled by Master roshi for a few years. That's the way you'll always see life, and that OK. Just know that that not actually how the real world works, baby girl.
>>
>>7796798
yes. but OP asked "how do i achieve the goal of becoming a sushi chef"
and i responded with my story, which basically boils down to "the same way you become a regular chef"
I was just explaining the circumstances as to how I got the jobs to get the experience to become the man. now calm down, it's naptime.
>>
>>7796807
i cant tell if you're trolling anymore. do you honestly think you're smarter and better than anyone and you can learn things more quickly? do you honestly think you can master a delicate art just by "wingin' it" and trial and error without even learning from people better than you? there is no possible way you're this stupid. you make me sad for humanity.
>>
>>7796817
>do you think you're smarter and better
nope. I just try harder.
>do you honestly think you can master
nope, I said you can get 80% of the way with 20% of the work
>without learning
who said anything about not learning?
>wingin' it
who said anything about wingin' it?

you're sad and pathetic.
>>
>>7796828
make up your mind dipshit. do you try harder or do you only do 20% of the work?
>>
>>7796817
>>7796828

your response shows you really do think that it takes 10 years of farting around washing some old mans dishes to learn to make rice and cut fish well enough for other people to pay for it.
>>
>>7796840
I have seen sushi chefs come and go like nobody's business. I've worked at enough places to know you can't learn to make decent sushi in a few years. even the most talented people have to practice. even culinary graduates have to learn to work in a restaurant because it's not just about cooking. muscle memory is a thing, and it's not something you get quickly. I understand that you've never made sushi professionally, and probably never cooked professionally, and it's likely you've only ever had sushi from whole foods, so I can see how actual chefs make it look easy. but it aint.
you have to practice. 99.9999% of people take at least 5 years to get decent and 10 years to get good. some people learn more quickly than others, but if you think its that simple good for you, enjoy your mediocre food product. your friends will probably tell you it's great so you feel better, i hope you wont mistake that for actual skill
>>
>liking sushit
Always cook your food before eating
>>
>>7796857
I get it man, you've said the same thing 80 times ITT, you gotta stick a japanese finger up your ass and dig around for a decade before your sushi gets the meme-mysticism needed for it to taste good, and an old man across the room will nod silently and give you a thumbs up and your life is complete.
>>
>>7796857
I've literally seen narutofags dressed up in hundreds of dollars of weeb shit who believe in japansese mysticism less than you do, my friend.
>>
>>7796874
>meme-mysticism
you're referring to skill. the skill that comes with time and practice. the skill that you do not have because you are not a very intelligent person.
>>
>>7796884
He'll understand when he graduates with his shitty degree and no job prospects because he is slightly better at most things than most people but not actually good at anything
>>
>>7796877
Ive never trained under a japanese chef in my life. The chefs that taught me sushi were Chinese, Vietnamese, Black, Korean, and Taiwanese, respectively. anybody can learn to make sushi. it's not about "mysticism" or "traditional" japanese bullshit. you can put a spin on things. but facts are facts and you do not get good at something without practice and influence, something that online chef wannabes dont seem to understand, evidently
>>
>>7796884
no, the mysticism comes from the fact that you think it takes A FULL FUCKING DECADE to learn to cut a fish up, and put it on a lump of rice. you keep defending this like its supposed to be so obvious. OH WELL OF COURSE IT TAKES A DECADE TO LEARN TO CUT A FISH AND PUT IT ON VINEGARED RICE. NO WAY YOU CAN MAKE THAT GOOD ENOUGH TO PAY FOR IN LESS THAN 1/8TH OF A LIFETIME. Jesus christ, you're so mystified you can't even see through the dickskin pulled over your eyes.

>>7796889
>>7796892
yes thank you samefag, I've graduated and I'm gainfully employed, but you can deflect as much as you want
>>
>>7796906
I never once said it takes a decade. Have you ever actually broken down a fish before, wherein your profit margin was directly dependent on how much meat you can get off of this expensive ass fish without wasting any, and still keep it pretty and perfectly shaped and free from parasites, blemishes, and adulteration? I dont care how "good at stuff" you are. People eat with their eyes before their mouth. Shitty rice ruins sushi. Ugly sushi is not enjoyed. Obtaining that level of knife skill takes a lot of work, and getting all the little details to keep your rice perfect while having to make people food to order takes years of practice. If you cut corners you're just gonna sell shit food. if you sell shit food you lose money, this is why you fail.
>>
>>7796933
>implying every piece of sushi sold in the world is a masterpiece

and we're back to the mysticism AGAIN!
>>
>>7796906
FOR EXAMPLE
did you know that, when you make a sushi roll, if you dont make it fast enough, the nori absorbs water and becomes tough and chewy? it's store in a box with silica for that exact reason, because the moment you take nori out of that box, it begins to absorb moisture and slowly shrink and become rubbery. If you dont hear the crisp sound like cutting paper when you cut that roll, then congrats, you just served some nasty ass sushi. and people who dont know the difference wont care. but most people do, because when they go to chew that piece of sushi and the rice is dense and cold and the nori is stuck in one piece and hard to bite and the fish tastes like your greasy fingers, theyll know that you suck.
>>
>>7796952
know how you can tell a new sushi chef?
look at their hands. look at their cutting board. a newbie will have a hard time keeping the rice off of his hands and cutting board, he wont know how to manage keeping his hands perfectly moist and clean. and when people look at your cutting board and see that it's dirty as fuck and covered in clumps of wet rice, theyll know you suck, and that will affect the way they taste your food.

and dont get me started on how thick you cut a piece of fish. do you have any idea how much better a perfect cut of fish feels in your mouth as opposed to some haphazardly sliced ugly piece?
>>
File: food-nirvana.jpg (156 KB, 736x921) Image search: [Google]
food-nirvana.jpg
156 KB, 736x921
>>7796965
>you know how you can tell a new sushi chef
>by the A S T H E T I C

point proven, your cooking is based on LITERAL memes and dreams, and you're LITERALLY too mystified to admit that your cooking follows the same rules as every other cooking on the planet; it is a skill that can be 80% mastered with very little work. But please, keep on believing that YOUR particular cooking is special and can only be learned in the clouds of a mountain where a dragon bestows upon you the knowledge needed to make something good enough to pay for.
>>
>>7797045
people eat with their eyes nimrod. millions of dollars go into sensory evaluation because the way you taste things has just as much to do with external stimuli as it does the flavor and texture in your mouth

so yes, making sushi look good is equally as important as making it taste good, smell good, feel good in your mouth, and be served in a clean place. all of those factors affect how your food tastes. taste itself is an aesthetic quality you fucking idiot. sushi is an art, not a food. it's not fucking oatmeal, you pay out the ass for a piece of it. this is why you fail
>>
>be white
>dress up or act like an entitled trust fund baby hipster
>open up a hipster sushi place in an equally hipster gentrified neighborhood
>create funky new fusion take on sushi while having traditional sushi

and there you go
>>
>>7796657
No one cares
>>
>>7796657

It's like you keep responding to the wrong person, because nothing you say makes any sense.
>>
>>7796535
Making sushi ain't exactly an art, anon.
>>
File: you cant.png (69 KB, 266x266) Image search: [Google]
you cant.png
69 KB, 266x266
>>
File: weeb-shit.jpg (166 KB, 1941x820) Image search: [Google]
weeb-shit.jpg
166 KB, 1941x820
>>7797223
>>7796965
>>7796952
>>7796892
>>7796933
>>7796884
>>7796857

ITT: Derailed thread full of faggots who can't stand to think that maybe Japanese cooking isn't as hard as they think it is.
>>
>>7797520
Any idiot can slap together some bullshit and call it food. Sushi already sucks so it has to be good, and to make it good you need to pay attention to little details. That's the difference between quality sushi and boxed grocery store maki rolls. Sure they sell $5 pizza at little Caesar's but it's not good pizza. To make good pizza you need to practice. There is more to making a dish than combining ingredients.

But there's lots of people like you out there who don't give a fuck what they eat or how it tastes. Maybe you should lurk a different board if you can't appreciate the skill that goes into good food.
>>
being/learning japanese will do nothing but good for you.

Otherwise follow what >>7796578 says.
It definitely won't hurt to have a lot of personal experience making sushi before even trying to become a professional
>>
>>7797540
>being/learning japanese will do nothing but good for you.
>>
>>7797537
so because I don't think sushi is some mystical form of higher art brought to us by Naruto himself, I don't give a fuck about what I eat?

anon, I'm starting to think you might be a weeb.
>>
>>7796761
this guy gets it
>>
>>7797553
There is nothing mystical about it. I'm saying the difference in a person making sushi for 10 years is significantly, noticeably, and unquestionably different than someone who has made it for 2. I'm saying this because I've met more sushi chefs than you ever will and made more sushi than you ever will, and that is why I know better than you.
>>
File: 1466178149765.png (1 MB, 1364x1023) Image search: [Google]
1466178149765.png
1 MB, 1364x1023
>>7797586
>I say I know more than you so I know more than you

nice try anon.
>>
>>7797586
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7796535
Start my washing rice for 7 years.
>>
>>7797594
It is simply a fact.
>>
>>7797603
i wanna eat there really badly
>>
>>7797586
>I said that what I said is true so that means its true

nicer try, anon.
>>
>>7796535
Just apply to one of the many places run by mexicans. (white guy here btw)

It's easy as fuck. I got a job at a sushi place as a sushi chef with no degree or any previous training in japanese food (I did work in a french place before as a garde manger chef first however).

The whole "wash rice for x years" or "learn under a master for x years" is 100% BS and unrealistic. Good sushi has almost nothing to do with the chef.

All you need is
>high quality ingredients
>Reliable sushi rice recipe
>Basic knowledge of how moist to keep your hands
>Patience
>Practice
>basic equipment

A slightly experienced sushi chef could beat a master chef in a heartbeat if he has better ingredients.

I worked at a place called Robokyo's for 2 years, never washed dishes, never did apprenticeship, never took classes, worked with only whites and mexicans.

Best sushi in out town, too, better than all the japanese places. If it wasn't for the owners being unfair employers at the time, I'd be there still today.
>>
File: animu_child_molester.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
animu_child_molester.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>7797650
>garde manger chef
>>
File: 2012-09-11_17-56-44_578.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
2012-09-11_17-56-44_578.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>7797650
here's some pics
>>
File: 2012-09-16_16-20-51_939.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
2012-09-16_16-20-51_939.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>7797654
Say what you want, but making desserts, smoked meats, ceviche, cured fish and meats, pate, and all manner of french cuisines for fine dining places is something to have pride in.
>>
>>7797655
>>7797665

oh wow anon, those look really yummy! and you didn't have to suck some japanese guys cock to get the skills?
>>
File: 1rritant.jpg (22 KB, 265x300) Image search: [Google]
1rritant.jpg
22 KB, 265x300
>>7797665
I live in Europe and travel very widely.
I laugh at your attempts you fat, diabetic, insular, flyover fuck.
>>
File: 2012-09-11_17-58-41_177.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
2012-09-11_17-58-41_177.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>7797672
No just drink a lot of beer and tequila with mexicans.
>>7797676
>Implying fish, rice, and vegetables are "diabetic"
Enjoy eating kielbasa, burgers and shepherd's pie every day
>>
>>7797686
I Must admit that platework isn't mine. I worked with a tattoo artist who would often draw dragons with eel sauce when he was bored.

OP if you have any art skills and can draw on plates with sauce then you're in for an easy ride.
>>
File: 1389491970052.jpg (57 KB, 586x438) Image search: [Google]
1389491970052.jpg
57 KB, 586x438
>>7797686
>avocado on sushi
why would anyone TRY to ruin the dish? might as well put fucking pickles on it.
>>
>>7797694
>"authentic" food that 10 people will order
>less "authentic" food with a familiar ingredient that 100 people will order

I see you have great business sense.
>>
File: cooking is hard.jpg (326 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
cooking is hard.jpg
326 KB, 1200x1600
>>7797694

sounds like someone has had a tough time with avocados before.

pic related?
>>
>>7796535
>he thinks salmon sushi is good
>literally eating fishfood
>>
File: 2012-09-08_19-27-11_651.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
2012-09-08_19-27-11_651.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>7797694
After you make the roll, slice the alvacado really thin and spread out the slices to fit the top, roll it back on the sushi using the mat. It almost never falls off

If you mean the taste, blame customers. People love avocado and eel together.

My favorite was the pink lady.
White tuna, red tuna, crab, shrimp, and yellowfin wrapped in pink rice paper with fish eggs, wasabi, sriracha, and eel sauce to boot.

I could eat "white tuna" (it's escalar no matter where you go in the states) daily. I actually sent out and got a block of it and would just east it at home plain
>>
>>7796541
I got a job at a sushi restaurant (as cook) very easily. That is the proper in to become a sushi chef. My boss was Korean and made a point that he's totally ok hiring Caucasian as long as they'll work hard. And he got me in quick. Two days after I called the store (saw an ad at a local Asian market), I was training. If you don't have sushi experience, you can work up to it, but your sensei will first want to know that you can handle yourself in a kitchen, work hard, and have good knife skills. Keep in mind that sushi is part food and part performance, so being a good sushi chef is about more than just making sushi, it's central to cater the meal to your guests and make sure they are enjoying themselves and being served in a timely manner. While we have all this tipping discussion going on here, it's worth noting that sushi chefs are among the few who get directly tipped outside of waitstaff here in the states, and I think that's closer to how it should be.

If you wish to be a sushi chef, I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>7796592

>>7796657
This is true

Also it's not hard to distinguish between different Asians by their morphology.
>>
>>7797742

>it's not hard to distinguish between different Asians by their morphology

That was literally never under discussion. The guy just started screaming about retards who can't tell Asians apart for some reason, and then turned to not being able to distinguish different languages, when everyone in the thread is typing in English.
>>
Move to Japan and start an apprenticeship. I believe it's 10 years or so, but you'll spend the first 6 years washing rice.
>>
>>7797716
what the fuck happened here??
>>
>>7797762
The first anon was clearly questioning one person's claim that you have to be Japanese to be a sushi chef. He raised the question of ethnicity because the overwhelming majority of sushi chefs outside of Japan are not Japanese. Eat a tiny dick on rice, faggot
>>
>>7799080

If you are referring to this >>7796541 it is obviously a joke.

You made a pretty big leap from a joke to the claim that he couldn't distinguish between different ethnicities, and then finally back to the explanation (?) that outside of Japan multiple kinds of Asians work in sushi restaurants, as though that's the explanation for seemingly randomly calling everyone you respond to a retard without addressing anything they actually said.
>>
>>7796535
Apply to a university in japan or look for a school that trains sushi chefs they are
4 to 10 year schools
>>
File: 1442986316741.png (232 KB, 386x647) Image search: [Google]
1442986316741.png
232 KB, 386x647
>he puts cream cheese and avocado in his sushi

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>7799169
>Implying I was all of those anons
I don't give a shit who or who was not autistic or making ridiculous extrapolations. I just addressed the notion that it's difficult to tell them apart after that had already been brought up
>>
>>7797232
This, OP. Move to a hip coastal city and start swimming in hipster pussy and cash.
>>
I'M GONNA TYPE IN ALL CAPS TO SAY THIS SHIT

ROLLS ARE NOT FUCKING SUSHI. GET THAT WEAK ASS CHEESE, VEGETABLE AND FRUIT SHIT OUT OF HERE.
>>
>lived in Japan for many years w/ wife
>kids who have never left their state claim it's ezpz レモン squeezey

protip if it's a roll it's not sushi, it's fucking dogshit and I wouldn't give you money for it

If I cant see you make it in front of me I'm not eating it, and you can tell based on the chef if they know what they're doing

>I pay BIG MOOLAH for shit food
Kill yourself, American sushi if terrible, even if it's near the sea, and if you try to pass your highschool sushi chef bullshit off as something deserving money, I'm walking out the door, fuck you
>>
No nigiri?
>>
File: lD6P3W6.jpg (39 KB, 597x693) Image search: [Google]
lD6P3W6.jpg
39 KB, 597x693
>>7799342
I can actually TASTE the autism on this weeb
>>
>>7796715
>>7796707
So could you guys get into more details? One anon said something (vague) about the rice
What other things separate decent sushi from good sushi? I've only had mediocre I think, but I could never really tell the difference in quality, or what makes that difference
>>
>>7799301
yes they are
>>
>>7799461
the only thing that matters to him is whether or not the chef has personally sucked cock under the table for a decade before daring to make rice and cut fish.
>>
I think you should watch this OP
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772925/
>>
>>7796541
>Japanese

Everyone knows Koreans make the best Japanese food.
>>
>>7798154
It's quite simple, they heard/read about how to take the seed out of an avocado, then completely fucked up trying to do it.
>>
>work half your life making sushi
>perfecting the fine art of sushi making
>perfecting your sushi rice recipe
>perfecting your knife skills

Still get paid shit..
>>
>>7796541
Being a sushi chef is not realisticly harder than being a sandwich artist tho
>>
>>7800092
Maybe in America because Japanese people tend to stay in Japan since by most measures when it comes to standard of living theres no reason for a Japanese person to immigrate anywhere. The few that do come nowadays are branch transfers or married an America.
As opposed to Korea which is still extremely poor outside of the capital and was a dictatorship up until the early 90s.
>>
It's all details and quality.

For example. The sushi in your photo is kind of shit.
The maki isn't centered and the end hasn't been cleaned and evened. The nori is torn suggesting the knife wasn't sharp enough. The uneven rice also suggests that. The maki isn't the same size. Also, it's clearly American as there is too much rice.

The futomaki isn't centered and the nori touches the edge and overlaps the rice. The inside isn't round, its a weird broken square shape.

The ngiri is extremely poorly cut. You can see the loose edges from where the cut was improperly finished, it's not thick enough so it looks like an exhausted weaboo flopping onto a bean bag chair. It should be able to sit slightly off the rice and have some thickness to it, not a lot, this isn't a block of cheese.

Also wasabi is touching the ngiri, and the rolls(maki and futomaki) are touching each other.

If you want to learn to do sushi, start practicing your knife skills. You don't need an expensive knife, it will help, but learn to sharpen. Buy some shit knife and some stones and practice. Start learning to notice small details.

Learn some Japanese and then start to apply at sushi restaurants. If you live on the west coast, you'll need some experience as a cook, and if you're not asian, some experience cooking in asia. If you're asian, they'll just hire you. I got a japanese kid hired who's never worked a day in his life, he's pretty bad. It is what it is.
If you're in a flyover, you should be fine with some basic japanese and some experience in cooking.
>>
>>7797655
>>7797665
>>7797727

As you can see with this guy, although his centers are round and the nori is internal, which is difficult, the cuts aren't straight nor even. It is extremely difficult to do both, and while you're an apprentice it is important to focus on this. Watering your knife, keeping it clean, keeping it sharp will all help to cut down on this. At the end of the day it's technique and attention to details.
>>
>>7799461

Easy test. Order a piece of hamachi ngiri.

If the silver fatty bit is still attached, the red center is there, the fish is shiny with firm flesh, then you have a place where you can learn sushi. There's other ways to tell, but hamachi is the most obvious and quick way. There should also be a small cut in the skin parallel to the long sides.
>>
>>7796602
"Fake sushi: a day,
Kind-of sushi: several months,
Real thing: a life time (jk 10+ years)"
>>
File: sushi_main[1].jpg (227 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
sushi_main[1].jpg
227 KB, 1000x1000
>>7801297

I mastered pic related in 10 minutes.

Does that mean I could learn the Real thing in just a few months?
>>
>>7799463
They are actually not.
>>
>>7796697
That's literally not what he's telling you you asshole. He's saying being a cook in general is THE same experience be it sushi or whatever else.
>>
>>7796764
i love my job as a sautee chef
>>
>>7802608

Hosomaki is the type of sushi that is common to the popular origin story of gambling den sushi. Futomaki and hosomaki are very prevalent in japan and can be ordered at literally every sushi shop you go to. They are definitely part of traditional sushi making. Making a flawless hosomaki roll is on par in difficulty to cooking a french style omelette. Easy to do, difficult to perfect.

Uramaki which is what we generally eat in the west, ie. rainbow rolls, california rolls, etc, are not traditional sushi, however, that doesn't make them less difficult when the same standards are applied to their creation.

Arguing that rolls are not traditional is suggesting that chirashi, oshizushi, temaki are also not sushi, which is ridiculous.
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.