[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone tried meat analogues before? Do they taste good at all?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Tofurky-roast.jpg (702 KB, 1662x1083) Image search: [Google]
Tofurky-roast.jpg
702 KB, 1662x1083
Has anyone tried meat analogues before? Do they taste good at all?
>>
Tofu tastes like tofu. Corn protein tastes like shit. That's all I've tried.
>>
tofu tastes nasty to me but gardein is amazing!!!! if you live near a krogers which a lot of people on /ck/ do their brand is also great. I'm trying to make my own seitan as well.
>>
>>7797026
Vegan here, I'll run down the most common types:
>tofu
Tofu is tofu. Not really a meat analogue, but essential for other recipes and uses.
>Tofurkey
Tasty with gravy and stuffing, on its own it's alright. Doesn't replicate the stringiness of turkey but matches the chewiness.
>Deli slices
Chewy and slick. Don't take to heat well for uses like panini or grilled cheeses. Buy once for the novelty and never again.
>TVP
Basically dehydrated flavorless ground beef. Put it in chili, pasta, or whatever you like: it's chewy and hearty like meat, but won't fool anyone
>Vegan sausage
Hit or miss. Tofurkey is dry in anything but pasta. Field Roast is a home run and has the juiciness and bite that real sausage has.
>Seitan
Depends on how it's cooked. If done well, it's the same as a huge steak of TVP. If done poorly, it's par with soy sauce chewing gum
>Tempeh
AVOID
>>
>>7797258
tempeh is the foulest shit I've ever put in my mouth.
>>
File: carnita.jpg (25 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
carnita.jpg
25 KB, 580x435
Growing up I remember eating pic related

I've also tried vegetarian meatballs and something called "ricottabiffar", never bought them again
>>
>>7797258
>Seitan

can i get gluten free seitan?
>>
I'm the furthest thing from a vegetarian, let alone vegan, but those Morning Star buffalo wings you can get at frozen food aisles are actually really fucking good. Back when my cousin was vegetarian and would get packets of those, I'd easily down a good dozen of them.

Soyrizo is fucking vile, though.
>>
>>7797026
Nothing I've tried from stores taste good. I've been to a couple of Thai restaurants that did a good job of it.
>>
>>7797026
burger king veggie burgers are palatable. i don't really like it when nonmeat is made to simulate meat.

tofu is really good in chinese cuisine but tofu burgers are fucking rancid.
>>
>>7797026
Soyrizo is pretty good, that's all I've really had.
>>
File: really.jpg (61 KB, 443x726) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
61 KB, 443x726
>I wont eat meat, but I still want to eat things that taste and feel like meat
>>
>>7798717
Just like people who abstain from sexual intercourse will often continue to masturbate. Or people who refuse to murder will still play violent video games.
>>
>>7798717
What exactly is the issue with this?
>>
>>7798763
I dunno. Crippling autism?
>>
>>7798763

I guess broadly the issue is that your desire to eat meat is proof that humans have evolved to eat it, and your choice to abstain from doing so is laughable when one takes a pragmatic view of the world
>>
>>7797258
You forgot Field Roast sausages, which are seitan based and good as hell. Still won't fool anyone, but good enough that meat eaters can enjoy them.

Pretty much the only fake meat I buy. The rest of the time I eat beans, and once in a while tofu.
>>
>>7798763

>What exactly is the issue with this?

>eating meat and animal products is wrong, so i refuse to eat them!
>but fuck they are so delicious! why cant they make my vegan sausages taste more like the real thing!
>>
>>7798872
I really don't see what the issue is either honestly.
>>
>>7798717
>i like tasty food but don't want to have to kill an animal for it, especially since most animals are treated horribly
not even a vegetarian, makes sense to me though.

i hope cultured meat is available in stores soon, i'd like to try it.
>>
>>7798885
It's not even tasty though, if anything it's like people who vape with nicotine just because they want to have it without smoking cigarettes.
>>
>>7798894
>It's not even tasty though
that's subjective
>>
>>7798898
I can tell you that there are very few substitutes that are just as good as the original or even adequately representative of what they are meant to replace. Even the word "substitute" is a kind of defeatist term for something meant to be a "replacement" almost as if the people making the products know they will never be able to accurately replicate what they are trying to imitate.
>>
>>7797026
Nut meat is pretty good. Buy both the nut meat and lentil pies at the bakery near me and I'm not even vegetarian.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.