[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dutch Ovens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: whole-wheat-no-knead-bread.jpg (94 KB, 525x350) Image search: [Google]
whole-wheat-no-knead-bread.jpg
94 KB, 525x350
Help me out here /ck/. I'm undertaking the monumental task of making my own 100% rye sourdough bread from scratch, and when I say scratch I mean I have a glass jar of rye flour and water sitting in a dark place fermenting right now to make my own starter over the next two weeks.

In the meantime, I need to know if a dutch oven is really required for this kind of bread or not. I've seen all kinds of recipes and they pretty much all use big fancy $50+ cast iron dutch ovens like pic related. I'd rather not spend that kind of money or lug around something that heavy for the rest of my life if I don't have to.

Aren't there any kind of poor slavic black breads that just use metal pans?
>>
>>7794467
Home bakers like dutch ovens because they trap steam which gives the crust those tiny blisters and a glossy appearance. But there are other ways of achieving the effect.

Take a look at this. He uses a sheet pan and ice cubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29v5rx97bo

When I got into baking, my goal was to make a loaf of bread with the absolute bare minimum equipment. Your hands, a bowl with some kind of cover, and an oven is really all you need.

The flour, water, yeast, and equipment that we all readily have access to today is something professional bakers would have killed to have hundreds of years ago. Keep that in mind when you have a few failures.
>>
>>7794591

Yep, this 100%.

Though if you cook often a dutch oven is a super useful tool. It's awesome for making stews, braises, pot roast, etc. So it has a lot of uses other than just baking bread.
>>
File: boule.jpg (165 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
boule.jpg
165 KB, 800x536
>>7794591
One thing I really wish I would have mentioned...

For god's sake, don't pull your bread out of the oven when it's golden brown. I see people online taking their loaves out of the oven when they're the color of yeast rolls. That's great if you want something soft and fluffy, but if you're going for that rustic loaf of bread that makes a hollow sound when you tap on it, you need to get a dark mahogany color. This is the kind of bread you take with you on the beginning of a long journey.
>>
>>7794614
>burnt bread

No thanks. All my sourdough bread is covered in tin foil so it has a very soft crust. If I want crunchy bread, I put a slice in the toaster.

Thick hard crusts are difficult to eat and can break teeth.
>>
is a 2.5qt dutch oven large enough to make a decent sized loaf?
>>
>>7794628
k

>>7794646
If you're willing to improvise and/or divide the dough. The famous Jim Lahey recipe* is probably too big to fit, but I could be mistaken. I think it would work in two batches, though.

*http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
>>
Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_NRABQpCw
>>
File: jsNwaK4.jpg (79 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
jsNwaK4.jpg
79 KB, 2048x2048
>>7794670

Is that a woman or a man pretending to be a woman?
>>
>>7794681
dunno, but s/he can't knead for shit
>>
>>7794670

>German pumpernickel takes 18 hours to bake

Holy SHIT.
>>
>>7794670
Monty Python pls go
>>
I've never had bread like the OP picures but doesn't the loose flour on top of the loaf taste bad?
>>
>>7794776

Only if you lick it. Once you slice it and take a bite the ratio of flour to bread is so small you can't taste it.
>>
>>7794789
Is it possible to just wipe most of it off after it's baked?

I was thinking of using that recipe just recently posted for no knead bread, for my first foray into bread making. I have a large dutch oven but currently no corn meal or wheat bran so I just figured plain flour would be okay.
>>
File: DSC01292.jpg (463 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01292.jpg
463 KB, 1632x1224
I have been baking my own bread for 2 years now. I was just curious about sourdough, and now I can't imagine buying expensive stale bread when my own tastes so much better.

I just recently got a real dutch oven for baking at camp. Works well. Takes a lot more heat than without in the oven. I get a better crust on my pizza stone when I'm at home, and that only cost 1/5th of the dutch oven. You can also use a clay dish, but they can shatter from the sudden heat change. Won't ruin the bread though.
>>
File: IMG_20160331_102034.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_102034.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
Eurofag here. Never heard of a Dutch oven. And it's not necessary.
>>
File: dutch-oven.jpg (618 KB, 1166x778) Image search: [Google]
dutch-oven.jpg
618 KB, 1166x778
>>7796164
It's a cast iron pot. Petromax makes good ones.
>>
>>7794467
A dutch oven is a compromise for making bread.

All you need is a hot surface, something with more heat capacity than an oven tray.
>>
File: DSC01283.jpg (451 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01283.jpg
451 KB, 1632x1224
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.