[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frying pan/oils?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: olive-oil-in-frying-pan[1].jpg (41 KB, 1000x616) Image search: [Google]
olive-oil-in-frying-pan[1].jpg
41 KB, 1000x616
New to /ck/, just want to know which frying pans to use (sometimes the food sticks to the pan), how much heat, and what kind of (and how much) oil. What is low heat/med heat/high heat good for, olive vs sunflower oil, cast iron vs regular, etc.
>>
>>7762857
I'm going to meme this thread up, but I only use peanut or coconut oil in a cast iron
>>
>>7762857
Always make sure the pan is hot so when you put shit in it instantly sizzles

All oils you buy will say burning temps on them

If you are bad at cooking dont use olive oil use canola - even though it tastes worse, or something like peanut thats hard to burn and fuck around with.

You use all oils for flavor, I dont like olive oil on eggs so I use butter. I dont like olive oil in fried rice so i use sesame. I use olive for pastas and pan cooking all fish.

The amount, the choice and how you use it are all based on whats being cooked.
>>
>>7762869
What about preventing sticking? Is that just a pan thing or do you still need to coat with oil?
>>
>>7762857
Depends on what you want to do.

Sear? Sautee? Pan Fry? Medium Skillet? Oven Transfer?

Then for oil, smoke point? Flavor? Water content? Reusability?
>>
>>7763175
what if I just want to reheat some food? My microwave broke.
>>
>>7762869
This guy has the right idea. Use less expensive oils until you get the hang of what you are doing. In my opinion, expensive oils should only be used raw or for low temp cooking to maintain flavor. Frying in a boutique olive oil is pretty stupid. You lose flavor you paid for when cotton seed or peanut oil would've sufficed.

Good raw applications are: dressings, plate garnish, drizzle on focaccia or other breads, etc.

>>7763165
It depends on the pan. Season a cast iron or use a non stick and you can use little to no oil, oil will prevent charring as quickly though. When I make hash browns I always use a little oil so the middle gets done before the outside gets black. It cooks through and gets to a nice golden brown color and I am using ceramic currently. Bare aluminum and steel will need oil most times unless you are dry roasting nuts or something.

>>7763165
This as well.
>>
>>7763187
Depends on the food. Oven may be better than a pan.
>>
>>7762857
>just want to know which frying pans to use (sometimes the food sticks to the pan)
You can either buy a cheap T-Fal nonstick pan:
http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Nonstick-Thermo-Spot-Indicator-Dishwasher/dp/B000GWG0T2

or spend a little more for an All-Clad style stainless steel pan such as the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro or Tramontina skillets.
https://www.centurylife.org/cladded-sidewalls-vs-disc-bottomed-cookware-which-is-better/
https://www.centurylife.org/is-all-clad-worth-it-is-it-still-made-in-america-why-does-it-cost-so-much-what-are-some-alternatives/

>what kind of (and how much) oil.
Read this:
https://www.centurylife.org/whats-the-healthiest-cooking-oil/
And watch this:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-true-shelf-life-of-cooking-oils/
>>
>>7762857
I use canola for nearly everything, it has a high smoke point and a pretty neutral taste. IMO you shouldn't be relying on cooking oil too much for taste anyway, if you want to use olive oil because of taste just drizzle it on afterwards so you can actually taste it.
>>
>>7762869
This.
>>
>>7762857
Sugar is the garbage of carbohydrates.
Similarly, cooking oils are the garbage of lipids.

Lrn2cook without them or with VERY LITTLE and you will do yourself a YOOJ favor.
>>
>>7763512
lmao
>>
Safflower oil is good for beef, since it has a high smoke point and has no flavor.
>>
>>7763992
I tried importing some saffarole oil and now I'm awaiting trial on drugs manufacturing charges. You can't make this shit up
>>
I use canola oil most of the time. It has a high smoke point and neutral flavor. Plus, it's cheap.

For reheating things, it depends on how wet the food is. If it's already pretty moist, I'll just put it in a nonstick frying pan on medium-low heat. If it needs a bit of moisture I usually put some butter in the pan first.
>>
>>7762869
In the name of the food god, use sunflower oil for frying eggs!!!
>>
get a carbon steel pan and use whatever oil you want. eggs slide off of mine
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.