[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bought some prunes today at the market mostly on a whim/joke.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: dried-prunes.jpg (81 KB, 580x348) Image search: [Google]
dried-prunes.jpg
81 KB, 580x348
Bought some prunes today at the market mostly on a whim/joke.
Holy shit these fuckers are amazing!
Why didnt you tell me /ck/?
They have always just been some geriatric punch line to me. I thought they would be horrible.
>>
A friend of mine owns a bakery/café. She offered prune cake made from brioche dough rolled out flat, topped with butter-sautéed prunes tossed with a little sugar and plum wine, rolled up into a tight snake, then coiled into a snail shell shape. She offered it for a while but nobody bought it. Usually, it would be me, her, her husband and her kitchen help just eating the prune cake ourselves.

Jokingly, I told her to rename it "dried plums cake" and she did.

Sold like a motherfucker and people loved it.
Basically, you're not alone in your aversion to it. I'll never understand it myself, because I fucking love prunes and eat them pretty often.
They're like little hugs for your mouth.
>>
Prunes are great, I've eaten them since I was a kid and never even knew they were mostly seen as old people food til I was older.
>>
>>7753759
Yep, they're delicious but dangerous in large quantities.
>>
>>7753759
They're great. Made a chocolate dessert once (barely cooked dense chocolate cake layer, caramelized milk chocolate panna cotta layer, dark chocololate mousse with feuilletine layer, all coated in ganache glaze) that I served with a spiced prune and Armagnac ice cream and some crushed salted hazelnuts. The prune ice cream was great, although as >>7753798 says it went on the menu as 'spiced dried plum ice cream' to avoid the weird unwarranted stigma that prunes have.
>>
Prune juice is like drinking syrup or treacle

If you can find a low sugar version or add something bitter/sharp it tastes amazing though
>>
>>7753759
I'd stay near a toilet if I were you...
>>
>>7753806
>>7754503
total myth
>>
>>7754627

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prune

"Prunes and their juice contain mild laxatives including phenolic compounds (mainly as neochlorogenic acids and chlorogenic acids) and sorbitol.[5] Prunes also contain dietary fiber (about 7%, or 0.07 g per gram of prune)."

Wikipedia disagrees with you, and having eaten my fair share of them, so do I. Why don't you snack on a bag of them and let us know from the toilet, how empty you feel inside?
>>
>>7753759
fun fact: prunes make you poop due to high natural levels of sorbitol
>>
>>7754635
>>7754635
If there is anything to it , its mild as hell. I ate half a bag last night and my poop was just normal this morning.
>>
>>7754641
I recall buying a bag of prunes and eating more than half. 5 hours later the flood gates opened. At least it passed super fast.
>>
>>7754635
While I agree with the premise that Prunes are laxative to some people, I just want to point out that citing wikipedia is borderline clinically retarded
>>
>>7754745
Wikipedia is a perfectly cromulent source of information.
While not 100% accurate its pretty damn close.
>>
File: wikipedia.png (187 KB, 1164x544) Image search: [Google]
wikipedia.png
187 KB, 1164x544
>>7754745

there is nothing wrong with wikipedia
>>
>>7754753
>>7754768

There've been plenty reviews showing almost all of Wikipedia contains bullshit (96% of articles contain at least one false statement iirc) and there're plenty of places showing how wikipedia often cites itself.

Yes, it's great if you want general information on something, but if you're talking about facts, figures and objective reasoning then wikipedia is the last place you should be looking

It's perfectly fine, but again, citing it as a source is beyond retarded
>>
>>7754779
>citing it as a source is beyond retarded

We are not writing scientific papers here anon.
This is a very informal cooking board.
You do realize that the standards are different right?
Are you maybe just a touch autistic?
>>
File: 1459035628434.jpg (8 KB, 128x111) Image search: [Google]
1459035628434.jpg
8 KB, 128x111
Prunes are good, to me they basically just taste like jumbo sized raisins
>>
>>7754797

i would go vegan for a weekend to do acid with them while they sucked my dick in middle of the woods
>>
>>7754849

Won't happen, rainbow chicks are very uptight about freaky sex. the best you'll get is doggy but you'll spend so much time exploring your spiritual connections with her that it won't even be worth it also the pussy stank bro, they don't bathe.

they can usually legit cook good food over a campfire tho, I'll give them that
>>
I know what you mean OP.

I love figs, dates, etc. and decided one day to buy prunes. I was blown away - they are an awesome taste and texture.

If I were a business selling prunes I would drop the name and call them "dried plums", because prunes has such a negative connotation in N. America.
>>
>>7754937
>rainbow chicks are very uptight about freaky sex
Really?

That's disappointing. Then again, I can't imagine them doing furious anal or gagging or anything.
>>
>>7754627
Says the fucking retard who's never had prune shits
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.