[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3d Printed Cosplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 1024x768
Well, have any of you goobers incorporated 3d printing into your costumes?

I'm considering buying one so I can build Enclave power armor from Fallout 2, but I'm worried the shoulder piece will be too big to make, even if split up.
>>
well everything can be split up, you just need to put it back nicely. i wouldnt recommend printing full armor to be honest. i have used it for smaller things though. goggles,belt buckles, other props.
>>
JFC, 3D printing something that big is retarded, unless filament has gotten a hell of a lot cheaper and I didn't hear about it
>>
>>9100431
>not knowing about the 3d printed Space Marine costumes
It's possible, anon. You just gotta use your imagination.
>>
>>9100397
While you could do that, it wouldnt be the best choice. Its hella expensive and looks pretty cheap in the end unless youre a master of painting.

3d printing is really only for props like guns, belt buckles, badges,visors, etc
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>9100458
Does that mean mankind is not yet ready for the Enclave, anon?
>>
>>9100431
1kg of filament is like 25 bucks these days. That helmet maybe used 1.5 at most. A small price to pay for a quality unpainted base helmet.
>>
File: corvo front & back.jpg (301 KB, 1058x915) Image search: [Google]
corvo front & back.jpg
301 KB, 1058x915
>>9100458
>>9100431

I printed the entirety of pic related except for the fabric and lenses. 3D printing is great for complex shapes whether they're big or not.

>>9100458
Whether you use foam, sculpted thermoplastic, clay, or anything else, it's always going to look cheap if the paint is shitty. Unless you're using real wood or metal, the base material doesn't really matter.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 620x620
>>9100475
How did you get the model? It seems like the only way to get the necessary model is to either make it yourself or to rely on the kindness of strangers.

Also, is it easy to print the individual components?

Sorry about all these questions. I actually can't find a good 3d printing community that answers the newfag questions. I need to get more smarter.
>>
>>9100471
Well, shit. Could be worse. I guess if you're gonna make a big suit of armor that's not horrible
>>
>>9100485
Is there really any alternative besides being a master blacksmith?

Also, you don't see enough power armor cosplay, sans Halo. I get that it's hard to do correctly, but still, I want to see more of it.
>>
>>9100488

I'm just looking at it from a mechanical engineer's perspective, so I'm biased. It would be far more cost effective to use foam/pva or resin layup, but I suppose this is more accurate and less hassle
>>
>>9100397
This is pretty mundane but 3d printing is essential for imitating small metal parts, i.e. the heads of bolts. When you're wearing a heavy ass costume in a crowded setting, every ounce counts
>>
>>9100495
Tbh, that's the biggest draw of 3D printing large props. I knew I'd have a way easier time making >>9100475 with a printer instead of sculpting it myself, which I have 0 experience in doing. The model is from Thingiverse, but the original uploader ripped it right out of the game.

>>9100484
If your pic is the model you want to print, >>9100495 is probably right for everything but the helmet. Large, flat, curved pieces can be *way* more quickly and easy made and shaped with EVA foam. There are tons of tutorials online on how to get it to look just like metal with the right paint job too.

For the helmet you'd probably have to print it in sections and glue/bondo them together, but such a complex, curved shape like that is just the kind of bullshit a 3D printer makes simple.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.