[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im going to this with a young family member of mine (tickets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: fb-og-image.jpg (33 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
fb-og-image.jpg
33 KB, 1200x630
Im going to this with a young family member of mine (tickets for their bday)

I dont watch anime nor know wtf this thing is, so can someone please help me figure out what to expect here?

I dont understand the schedule, and I cant figure out how this works. How do I find out which Animes are going to be there? Im assuming booths or something? What do I even do there?

I just want to enjoy myself in an unfamiliar environment, any tips?
>>
Assuming you're not trolling I'll tell you what you need to know since you're retarded. You're going to an anime convention in which fans of Japanese animation go to meet up, talk about anime with like-minded individuals and meet famous people such as representatives from anime studios, directors, voice actors, popular community members and so on.

Simply ask your "family member" what they want to do and go to where it says at the time on the schedule. There's tons of fun panels (sit down and listen to people talk about a topic), activies and signings to attend. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. I'm sure if you get confused you can simply ask con staff or other attendees. People in the anime community tend to be pretty open and kind so I'm sure they'll have no issue helping you.
>>
>>9077473
I have no idea what it is.

SO its nothing im going to enjoy? The person im taking is 10, are they not going to enjoy it either?
>>
>>9077456
>>9077478
There will be people in costume. There will be long lines. There will be shows you've never heard of and long lines related to those shows. There will be lots of stuff to buy, and things to look at, but don't try to pack a schedule full of stuff. Look around, find stuff you like, and then plan from there. There are also going to be TONS of people.
>>
>>9077489
Dang, im not sure if this sounds "fun"

Will a child enjoy it? All i care is that they do, ill tag along. I just dont know how to "plan"
>>
>>9077478

They'll probably enjoy it because of all the costumes. Are there any shows they like in particular? Search the schedule for something related to that.

The dealers hall and artist alley will also have lots of stuff to look at/buy.

Anything that's raunchy is marked with 18+

I'll check the schedule to see what I'd recommend, but I'd have more suggestions if you can say what shows they like.
>>
>>9077526
>>9077547

Alright, going through I'd suggest you wander around the convention floor and the dealers hall/artist alley, then go into rooms and watch some anime.

On the schedule at AX, anything marked in green is designed for kids. It seems most of the kids programing is on Sunday, here's where you see what they have:

http://www.anime-expo.org/schedule/

Once you're there, go to the side, and click the green button that says "Kids Programming" and it will filter for just that. There is a kids costume contest, if they're going in costume they may want to enter that. Check to see how, sometimes you can just show up but other times you have to register ahead of time.

There are other shows available, click the white "Screening" button and it'll show that. Most of the shows in the screening tab are appropriate for a ten year old, but please google the individual names to make sure as some of them are not. The numbers on the side tell you what episodes are playing.

The schedule tells you what time & day & room things are in, so you can plan from there.
>>
>>9077547
I got her a couple of costumes, im not sure of the names of the shows but i know she likes some, when she told me them I checked the schedule but it just shows human names and im not even sure what im looking for. She likes Sword art online, sword art 1, dragon ball z, pokemon, akame ga kill inuyasha? I dont know what any of this is desu.

>>9077562
ahh we can watch some anime? that sounds nice.

I have a 4 day pass, if everything for children is on sunday was this a mistake?

are screenings movies? thats super sweet. I can do that.

Thanks a ton man, i really appreciate the help
>>
>>9077604
>I have a 4 day pass, if everything for children is on sunday was this a mistake?
On Friday or Saturday, you can wander around the dealer's hall/artist's alley - it's like a big open marketplace with long aisles of stalls selling various things. It's usually filled with people, so it'll take a good amount of time to walk through, and there's lots of things to look at. The industry section of the dealer's hall might have more interesting exhibits or demonstrations going on.

Sometimes it's fun to just buy food, park yourself at a table to the side of a hallway/concourse area, and watch all the cosplayers walking by for an hour or so. Also a good idea for a rest break if the kid gets tired.
>>
>>9077627
Sounds great man, Thanks a ton. I was just worried it was going to be something she couldnt get into at all
>>
>>9077604

>4 day pass

Nah, not a mistake anon, because a lot of the anime you can watch happens over the course of all the days.

It seems none of the ones you've listed are screening, so I'd go to the screen rooms that say 1-3 so you can get the first episodes of a new series and introduce you both to them that way.

There's going to be a ton to see, and I mean A TON. The dealers hall and artist alley can easily fill up two days, especially if you intersperse it with watching some shows. Sunday is the big kids day, so that's taken care of.

Especially considering how tired a ten year old could get, they're going to need to take breaks which means it'll take them longer to see everything. You should be fine.

There's also a "photo scavenger hunt" on Sunday, if your kid gets bored (which I doubt they will be), you can take that idea and make a scavenger hunt between the two of you. List her favorite characters, see how many you can spot. See who can find the most impressive cosplay, who can find the biggest, who can find Waldo (there's a few every year), who can find the funniest cosplay, etc. That'll keep them entertained the whole way through and make sure it's worth your money.
>>
File: DSC03545.jpg (784 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC03545.jpg
784 KB, 1632x1224
>>9077643

an example of the density of people in the front lobby. the dealers hall entrance is above to the right.
>>
File: DSC03525.jpg (672 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSC03525.jpg
672 KB, 1920x1080
>>9077650

can people post more pics of what the actual crowd is like? I like to people watch at events like this and just getting the grand scale of everything is better in my opinion then a few up close cosplay shots.
>>
>>9077650
That's 75% of the attendees already inside the exhibit hall.
>>
File: WP_20140703_007.jpg (809 KB, 1776x1000) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140703_007.jpg
809 KB, 1776x1000
>>9077654

I love that you can hang around the font lobby without a pass.
>>
>>9077647
thanks man, i feel much better about this now. I'm going to write these ideas down and do them wth her.

>>9077650
>>9077654
>>9077659
thats just a lobby right? Would we be able to "collect" anything? Do they hand out things to people and should I come prepared with a bag to hold things?
>>
File: itsalright.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1010) Image search: [Google]
itsalright.jpg
483 KB, 1920x1010
>>9077660

every attendee gets a sponsor bag with some goodies and the schedule. some vendors have freebies, but they're mostly posters, stickers, and buttons.

I've seen plenty of kids enjoy themselves every year, I hope you two have a great time.
>>
>>9077660

No problemo.

>9077689 is right, you'll get a bag with goodies including the con schedule so you won't have to print one out. I'd still suggest carrying a bag so you can have water/snacks/cameras/a place to hold any part of her outfit that she doesn't want to wear anymore/things you buy.

The bag they give you at the front is a medium sized plastic bag. It's made of sturdy plastic and is fairly wide, but I'd bring your own bag too.

Also freebies are there, but they're not so common. Lots of little trinkets on tables are for sale only. There will be representatives of different candy companies handing out samples though.
>>
File: WP_20140703_004.jpg (599 KB, 1776x1000) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140703_004.jpg
599 KB, 1776x1000
>>9077696

an example of the bag size, along with what kept me alive for 4 days. free drinks outside the con, and $5 fries from the food trucks.
>>
>>9077689
thanks man, i really do appreciate the help.

>>9077696
>>9077703
nice. yeah i feel like we're really going to have fun. I cant stress how thankful i am, thanks guys.
>>
>>9077724

Happy to help! Go forth and make this the best con ever for that little girl. Remember to take breaks, there will be quiet nooks and crannies in various hallways if she gets overwhelmed. For some of the shows there will be a long line, so plan on showing up early to wait. Usually people start chatting with people in the line, if she's shy or the people around you don't want to chat, maybe pack something that will keep her busy like drawing supplies or a gameboy.
>>
>>9077456
are you my brother
>>
File: AnimeExpoCrowd1.jpg (83 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
AnimeExpoCrowd1.jpg
83 KB, 580x435
>>9077659
>>9077654
>>9077650
Wow those crowds seem small.

To be fair, this is Day 1 when they're about to open the doors to the Exhibition hall. You don't NEED to be in this line unless there's something you wanna buy/get to before everyone else starts to form another damn line for it. For your first time, I would just wait a while for this "line" to disperse before heading on in. I believe the doors open at noon so....just go sometime after that.
>>
>>9077456
The convention is like an anime amusement park.

you pick an interesting-sounding event from the schedule, then line up for that event about 30 to 45 minutes before it starts. you do this for two or three events. during the time you are not at an event, cruise around the big expo hall, visit the arcade, or just wander around.

tons of people, watch out.
>>
>>9077456
food is very expensive inside the convention center. food is somewhat expensive outside too, mostly because the food trucks that sell food are specialty/themed trucks (like waffle burgers, asian mexican fusion, etc. gimmicky but tasty) so the price kind of makes sense.

you can of course bring food with you. trail mix, carrots, apple, protein bar, meat jerky, water.

water bottle is always a good idea. water tastes amazing when you're thirsty.

Also, WASH YOUR HANDS before doing anything like eating or touching yourself. one usage of the escalator and your hands might be grimy already. don't touch your eyes.
>>
is there food outside the convection in walking distance, or is it just food trucks?
>>
>>9078059

Nothing cheap really, but there are restaurants like Yardhouse.

Honestly with kids that small I think you'll be able to get two days' worth of con experience just wandering the dealers room and artist alley.

If you want to find panels they might be interested, google what studios made the shows they like and find their industry panel. I know theres a sword art english cast panel at some point too, but be aware that there will be lines in advance. (3DS and other games are life savers)

Ohhh and in the East Hall there are like sets set up with different themes like a class room or scifi background for people in costume to walk up and take photos. They might have a ton of fun with that
>>
>>9078059
Go to the pantry, it's lots of food for cheap 24/7, only thing is it's cash only so come prepared, otherwise there's shit like dennys, ihop, and a few others I never bother with
Don't buy from the food trucks they are overpriced and shit DO buy from the guys grilling hotdogs on little trays however, they're cheap and far better than the shitty trucks
Stay hydrated and don't buy water at a con, the LA fluoride is just fine compared to their prices
>>
>>9077456 if anyone didn't catch my day zero cosplay please watch my video. thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yezn4yKryng
>>
>>9077456

Hey OP, how'd it go? Hope you two had fun!
>>
Dont be that person that takes young kids, they get in the way.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.