[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yet again, a new larp thread previous one >>9045620 And
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: 1372386282995.png (866 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1372386282995.png
866 KB, 960x720
Yet again, a new larp thread
previous one
>>9045620

And in the spirit of the last part of the previous thread, now this one has 135% more autism
>>
>>9072796
>135% more autism
finally a thread for me
>>
>>9072828
it's for everyone anon, not just for you
>>
File: autism-intensifies.jpg (14 KB, 502x417) Image search: [Google]
autism-intensifies.jpg
14 KB, 502x417
>>9072835
>>
>>9072707
>this 150 times anon. Thats why I got into HEMA and sparring with friends who are "down". We bleed, we laugh we drink, all in good fun. We allow grapples, trips, punches etc.
>SCA sword and bore is the absolute worst especially when you spend alot of money on a good kit just to get defeated by a dude wearing fucking motocross grear under a fucking tabard lol

But I don't have any HEMA dudes that use armor in my region, and those guys are fuckin rare anyways. It's just SCA or HEMA in fencing gear. I'm in it for the armor and building/buying kits close enough to the historic stuff in appearance, but fucking hell I just can't stand sword and board. Is longsword boffer combat superior?
>>
File: larping.jpg (43 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
larping.jpg
43 KB, 540x960
Larp, you have a question?
we have the answers.

>Dont like the answers?
Too fucking bad we are on 4chan, you are talking with the worst our respectives societies and culture have to offer.

>should i send a pic of what i am working on?
Yes.
Be aware that you are still on 4chan.
Nous serons impitoyables.

>Why is there so many Tripfag here?
To avoid confusion and to say where we are from, simple as that.
Most of us only trip in this thread anyways.

>i am not sure if i should buy *random stuff*, should i post the link here?
If its a genuine question, yes
If you only want to post a link because you are excited over what you are buying, no

>Is HEMA or SCA the same as Larping?
is it called Larping?
...NO b-b-but..
...MUH FULL CONTACT

>I live in *random city* is there any larpers there?
Do you see where this tripfag thing become important?
If you ask and give your state/province/country, you will probably find people into larp in this thread.

>Do you guys ever meet?
Not as a Larpthread gathering in itself but some do meet at big larp events across the globe.

>Are all larper cringy?
in a way yes.
But some will fucking scare you, no jokes.
Especially if you have a vagina.
Dont let the bad apples scare you from larping.

>Should i troll the larpers here?
So let me get that straigth...
You're trying to troll people who spend their free weekends roleplaying in costumes.
Do you think we give a fuck about ridicule?
Man, i am a men wearing tigths and getting high during larps.
And even i, think you have way too much free time.

> I do not own a costume or a weapon, what should i get first?
Costume.
There is always an Anon somewhere with an extra weapon.
(Cue the pic with all Hungarian's weapons)
An extra costume is a rare thing

>what is larping really like?
When i was a kid i fougth against other kids in my neighborhood, we made small lines and beat each other up with decorated picket fences.
Picture that but with adults in costume and everybody is drunk/high
>>
>>9072971
>what is larping really like?

It's like Monty Python and the holy grail but everyone has a foam bat im my experience.
>>
File: DSC03854.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC03854.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>9072971
>(Cue the pic with all Hungarian's weapons)
actually not all of it
>>
File: DSC_0332-copy[1].jpg (562 KB, 984x1478) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0332-copy[1].jpg
562 KB, 984x1478
WOW you guys heard of Cry Havoc?
Its exactly the kind of larp that I want
>historically inspired
>full contact boffer with head shots
>armor as worn rules etc.

http://cryhavoc.uk/

i wish i lived in the UK
>>
>>9073354
Its not a larp, the country is regressing since the referendum.
>>
>>9072856
I feel you man, In my barony its like 2 or 3 dudes with nice historical kits and the rest looking like some junkyard postapoc plastic/aluminum street sign dirt bike armor shit.

longsword boffer seems fun as hell. We actually do plastic swords just wear helm, elbow, shin shoulder and knee armors.
>>
File: cool ghoul has a chill day.jpg (163 KB, 936x585) Image search: [Google]
cool ghoul has a chill day.jpg
163 KB, 936x585
>>9073360
I chuckled.
>>
>>9073354
... what's the big deal about it?
I mean yeah, Matt Easton made a video mentioning it but it isn't exactly a rare thing that kind of larps.
Well, except for the US of course
>>
>>9073360
I laughed.
Then realised you're not exactly wrong.
>>
So, I've heard that Texan Amtgard chapters are better than other chapters. Would anyone mind telling me how so? Amtgard is the only LARP-like thing near me, and I'd like to know if it's worth it to join. Thanks!
>>
>>9072856
>look up sword and bore
>0 results

If SCA has sword & pistol fighting then sign me the fuck up
>>
Another Odyssey comes and goes. Armour will need a repair before the next one though. It took a fair old battering this time.
>>
I'm going to guess it was bright, as I appear either be squinting or concerned thinking.

"That Grecian Hoplite's spear looks very sharp..."
>>
The pattern on the face is for IC larpy reasons. In this case a blessing from the God Neptune in the form of Kraken's Ink. Which gave my character a massive buff and turned him into a fucking tank!
>>
File: 666gb.jpg (224 KB, 1157x987) Image search: [Google]
666gb.jpg
224 KB, 1157x987
>>9073354
>I'm going be vacationing in London while this is happening
>but can't stop by because I'm with the family and on a tight schedule
>mfw
>>
>>9073363
As a Brit I am happy you're not. You're a pedantic little cunt who talks big game. I hope you meet and piss off the clownfag enough that he hurts you.
>>
>>48003935

Arms and armor thread needs help.
>>
>>9074398
Fuck

>>>48003935
>>
Hey so I want to get me some new swords from calimacil.
I have about 500$ in budget (shipping incl.) to spend.
I want to get really good ones and one of them has to be asian looking for an upcoming character.

Any tips on where should I look? Any specific makers/models you caan recommend me?
>>
>>9073833
Looking good.
Even with the silly buff face paint
>>
File: DSC_0339a-copy[1].jpg (375 KB, 984x1478) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0339a-copy[1].jpg
375 KB, 984x1478
>>9073842
if you are a Yank (like me) sux2bu

>>9074041
I actually had to google pedantic kek...Do i really drag on that much bruv?

At any rate what shit do I really talk aside from visiting the thread and trolling every 3 months or so? Gropes convinced me to come back and visit actually I was done with these threads because of all the negative throwing shade shit.

Speaking of gropes, why would you summon him to fight me? Can you not face me yourself?

I hope I do meet gropes one day at an SCA or w/e event...we would probably have some beer and argue and talk shit about armor just as we do on these threads.
I can safely say that if I fought SCA rules heavy I would lose vs gropes hands down. SCA rapier or CnT though would be a good challenge.

>hows that for your pedantic
>>
>>9074478
>Hey so I want to get me some new swords from calimacil.
> Any specific makers?
yeah, how about calimacil?
If you find any other maker than calimacil who makes calimacil weapons just tell us, and also to them. They will be very interested in it.
And I recommend on looking at their site
>>
>>9074639
I thought some on here knew a better manufacturer
>>
>>9074921
there is no other manufacturer for calimacil than calimacil.
There are some othe copycats but you literally can't get it anywhere else. The injected foam they use is unique and a trade secret for them. That's why it's called calimacil weapons, because the calimacil company makes them and nobody else.
>>
>>9074931
Oooh cool.

What about other companies that make their own stuff? Or just go with calimacil anyway?
>>
>>9075092
what about them? they make completely different stuff.
>>
>>9075092
If you are looking for injected foam you can also go with Mythril , its injected foam and cost a little bit less.
They are a little bit less maniable for what i've tested.

I'm too lazy to just find the link or something or if they are still in business.

Latex weapons manufacturer are common but foam are a little bit more rare
>>
>>9074585
Not that anon, but pretty sure he'd wreck your face in fencing too.
>>
>>9072980
Are those Longswords Bellator or Edgar?
In any way-How are they? Any good?
>>
>>9075651

I'd fence against Gropey. With one hand tied behind my back!

>>9074585

I'd be down to SCA rapier fence if we meet.
>>
>>9075677
1: who the fuck are you?
2: Having your off hand behind your back is a good way to get punched with a buckler or stabbed with a dagger. Historic fencing is a lot more contact than line fencing
>>
>>9075710

My name is Masa D. Luffy, I'm the man who'll become the AX King.

I enjoy fencing. Took two semesters in college, took a semester of a chinese short sword, which was essentially non-strip fencing. SCA people don't move as much as they should considering how much more space they have available compared to olympic fencing.

Maybe I'm just too fast for people without a martial arts background.
>>
>>9075782
>Semesters
Clarify what do you mean by this?
Confusion might be because I'm not from the US tho
>>
File: DSC_0401-copy[1].jpg (414 KB, 984x1478) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0401-copy[1].jpg
414 KB, 984x1478
>>9075651
>all these anons wanting to live vicariously through gropes
>wanting to see me get beat up/outfenced by gropes
Why though?
I swear I always get the feeling that there is serious jealousy from some of you aside from hungarian and gropes.

What makes you think he would win and it not be a good matchup?

Masa Luffy is the only anon to step up and not want to summon gropes to beat me up lol

>>9075677
live in cali by chance?

>>9076216
semesters means a school year broken up into 2 parts with a small break between them.
>>
>>9076247
Yeah, this I know. But they do that in martial arts too?
>>
>>9076252
well they do offer martial arts in college here in the US. Even at the community college level you can take fencing, other sword fighting, karate, boxing, tae kwon do and all sorts of shit for college credit.
>>
>>9076253
What's college credit? And I wish we had that stuff here.
>>
>>9076259
that means you can get your degree in it or at the very least it will help you get the full amount of schooling credits you need to get whatever degree you really want.

For example if I wanted a degree in business, I could take all the business courses that are required but I still can have "chosen" classes, be it pottery or martial arts. Think of it as "gym" class but for college level students.
>>
>>9075677
Why would you want to fight Gropey with his hand tied behind your back?
>>
>>9075664
five bellator 1 and three bellator 2
good for larp, I really like it although very wobbly. You have to get used to that.
>>
>>9075782
He's not just SCA. He is hardcore into HEMA and buhurt and has done some form of karate and kendo.

>>9076247
Because they are the only ones who are serious about the stuff. Clownfag in particular makes a living off it.
>>
File: you_went_full_peasant.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
you_went_full_peasant.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
you know guys, I realized that /cgl/ larp threads went to shit.
Like, nobody really wants to talk about larps anymore, it's either HEMA stuff, SCA stuff, sometimes asking very elementary questions but mostly sucking dicks and autism.
>>
>>9076376
>hardcore into HEMA
>karate and kendo.
>Because they are the only ones who are serious about the stuff

Really who knows how skilled anyone is at that. And you are making assumptions without knowing very much about my background sir.

The one thing that crosses my mind if I was to ever sca rules fight gropes is that he was born into the SCA and he outweighs me by ALOT.

>>9076392
>sucking dicks and autism.
yeah dude, I honestly regret ever coming back here. everyone just wants to talk shit, and belittle everyone else as well.
>>
>>9076465
>yeah dude, I honestly regret ever coming back here. everyone just wants to talk shit, and belittle everyone else as well.

>>9071127
>Just want to say I joined the SCA to beat up white people with sticks, fuck their women and generally prove I am better faster stronger and more wealthy than any of them

In my eyes you are the same kind of faggot as everyone else.
You come back and literally your first words were completely unrelated to larping and belittling the SCA folks. You could say it was just a joke but it was a shitty one and then you act completely surprised when the other autists attack you for it.
>>
>>9076376
What does Gropey work for? Like how does he make money?
>>
>>9076476
hes a entertainer as far as I know, his website suggest he is quite literally a ringmaster side show circus performer. I dunno what his act is though
>>
>>9076471
k then see ya in a few months
>>
Whats your pre-game ritual? Do you start out of character and slowly work in? Instant switch?

Personally I like to smoke a stogie and slowly become my character. I don't really smoke them outside of larp so the slow burn helps me get into character. By the time I'm done I'm 100% in the mind set and ready to rock.
>>
>>9076601
>Whats your pre-game ritual?
goat sacrafice

>Do you start out of character and slowly work in? Instant switch?
I usually start months before the game when I do my research on how my character should act and what does he know.
If there is a prehist game for the larp then it's way more easier
>>
>>9076476
Military history at some big museum.

>>9076493
He comes from a circus family as a clown and did sideshow. He pretty much gave up after breaking up with his ex.
>>
Holy fuck, this thread....

>>9076601
I have a characters playlist playing as I get my kit on, and as I get read I go through that characters mannerisms, so by the end of getting kitted up I'm in full IC mode.
>>
>>9076247

I do!! SoCal to be exact. Is there a particular group you practice with??

>>9076280

I was half joking lol, I'd fence him but I need the other arm
>>
>>9076376

So, a similar diverse background as me? Good.
>>
>>9076906
Wow I do live in Socal as well. I am in the Caid, and live in the barony of Dreiburgen, which is the inland empire San Bernardino/Riverside area. We practice at andulka park in canyon crest every wednesday about 5-10 heavies and 1-2 rapier.

I also play with the cats from Bankeside which is a HEMA school out close to me.

Dude I have a crusader era kit (needs some fitting, a 15c. Milanese kit, a rapier/c&t kit, a few spaulding practice swords if you ever want to just dick off. We could just get together and play in armor the way Teutonic Penguin does with his friends.

I work ALOT and always at night but I am always down to chill/drink/smoke/play when I have off time. How can we get in contact?
>>
>>9076604
I meant more right before you play.

>>9076857
Music is a good idea. I keep trying to make a good playlist for my characters but I find it harder for my fantasy larp. The modern instruments take me out of character. For post-apoc though, I have a playlist for the car ride up.
>>
>>9076930

I have social media accounts, emails and what not. I'm down to meet whenever there isn't something happening on a weekend like a convention or visiting relatives. I also have skype, snapchat, etc. A lot of my accounts use this trip name, try looking on Twitter, Instagram, other previously mentioned chat services.
>>
>>9076977
>I meant more right before you play.
goat sacrifice then. It's an universal thing, there is very little that a goat sacrifice can't solve, and for those things there are the human sacrifice
>>
>>9073354
Wow, that's some crappy HDR.
>>
>>9077039
yeah lol i think it has some shitty filter as well
>>
>>9077026
I want to assume you're kidding but Hungry is fucking nuts so its really 50/50
>>
>>9077069
just kidding.
Pig sacrifice is way more common here and socially more accaptable
>>
>>9076906
don't know if you didn't get or just ignored my bad joke
>>
>>9077174

yes
>>
Regarding that 'where are we from' stuff around, are there any LARPers from Israel here?
>>
File: Sickasskit.jpg (37 KB, 236x606) Image search: [Google]
Sickasskit.jpg
37 KB, 236x606
Many of you who have fought in large scale battles notice that most combat revolves around "Lines" Where shields line up, and spears sit behind and get kills. While this is the norm, on occasion there are actual battlefield tactics put through by a leader. Most commonly these are "Kill pockets" where a line defending a gate or wall will sink back, creating a "U" shape, so that enemys who rush in can be attacked from multiple sides. The other tactic i see are "pain trains" which are essentially 2 wide columns which rush a line and seek to create an opening.

My question is, do you have any battle field tactics which either translate well into larp physics, or you have even seen.

Id like to imagine that alot of roman tactics would be effective but i just have yet to come across the organization for any actual tactics to be implemented.
>>
>>9077316
I'm kinda fuzzy on the details, but apparently there's some strategy to counter those "pain trains". Basically, you feign breaking the shield wall in order to have a small group break through. The wall closes again, and the people who broke through will be surrounded and cut off from support. You kill them, then rinse and repeat.

Of course, it's a dangerous tactic that can easily cause an actual breach in the shield wall, and I might be explaining it wrong. In short, don't try it until you've seriously trained that kind of stuff.
>>
>>9077316
I've got a tactic which works rather well for a group of about 7 people or so. Will post if it helps
>>
File: pike.jpg (36 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
pike.jpg
36 KB, 720x405
>>9077316
tactics evolve over time.
i could tell you those that i remember that we used but not those we're gonna use, because to tell the truth... its on the inspiration of the moment.

Ex:
>Bico 1010
>a guild discover that peasant flail are op
>bico 1011
>a shitload of people are now following the meta and using peasant flails too
>one of our commander tell us to thighen the ranks and the second rank must lift their shield over the first rank heads
> we enter unharmed by their attack and get close
>we have shortswords and daggers
>they have huge peasant flail
>its a massacre
>bico 1012
>peasant flail is way less popular

Bico 1013
>they have lots and lots of siege engines
>siege engines one-shot everything
>they target our vip and own artillery
>we take a beating from the barrage
>what do now?
>me and some dude go see a bunch of young teen ready for battle
>wannahavefunkids?
>we tell them a huge thing about being heroes and all that.
> they form a screen of running dudes catching ballista bolts with their chest
>some even destroyed an ennemy siege engine
>we mow the rest
>heal up the lil' dudes
>you're heroes now
>they were invited to a feast after

Talking about tactics, i did not continue the foam pikes (pic related but not mine), did anyone tryed to do them also?
>>
>>9077314
there was one guy who wanted to join the local SCA in the previous thread IIRC.
And there were one or two larpers on /tg/ from Israel through the years.

>>9077316
>Many of you who have fought in large scale battles notice that most combat revolves around "Lines" Where shields line up, and spears sit behind and get kills.
this isn't the case most of the time.
Because there are either not enough shields or not enough polearms.

I mean if we talking truly big scale battles most of the time it's made up from a lot of smaller groups but the sides are generally disorganized, you can rarely find groups that are bigger than 50 people and have a coherent tactic, discipline and equipment.
It's just a mess usually and depends more on blind luck and numbers.

On Drachenfest there are a lot of differnet camps and lot of different approaches.
Some use mostly polearms, some use mostly shields, some try to mix the two, then there are the archers who do point blank shots from the second or sometimes the first row if it's a stalemate. then there are the siege engines, sometimes cannons are pushed to the first row, fired, and then pulled back quickly. Siege golems, orc swarm tactic, etc.
Lots of stuff and while theoretically some tactic can be better than other the simple fact that it's a huge clusterfuck and you have various allies and people sometimes stab you in the back the only advantage you can really have is numbers.
>>
>>9078266
>>9077695

Right, These are more of small scale tactics. Say we have two armies, and i command one. My army like the other is made up of groups of clusterfucked nerds who have no discipline.

How can i organize my nerds in such a way that my formation will cause a win.

say you have a wing on each side, with a small flank garrison behind, then you have a main force, with a reserve force in the middle with them. Thats a good formation. Do any of you have any things like this?
>>
>>9078466
the main problem is if you want to use tactics you need disciplined people or at least group leaders who can do as you say. Otherwise you just pretend to be important while everyone else is doing what they want.
>>
>>9073544

It's going to vary by location. Visit your local park a couple of times and see if you like the people and the games. If it sucks, don't go back. Also, park leaders get re-elected every six months. If it sucks now, try back in a few months and maybe there will be some better leaders in office.
>>
>>9073544
Where in Texas are you, Anon? See if you can find what park is closest to you. There is some LARP fairly often, even if on the whole it can get pretty wrestlemania-tier.
>>
>>9078466
>Say we have two armies, and i command one
I'll bite

>How can i organize my nerds in such a way that my formation will cause a win.
Go download Total war and play a little bit this will satisfy your need for that.

>Do any of you have any things like this?
No
Generals always try to tell commander how to win battles, listening to a general on the field is stupid, they are not there to make decision under stress, they are there to think in the long term of a war.

No matter how good your plan is, if your ''nerds'' dont care about you, they wont follow you.

So tl;dr

>Generals
Will win wars

>Commanders
Will win battle

Dont act as a general playing toy soldier on the field.

(Also same could be said the other way around)
Dont be like me who tougth that general was not a succession of boring reunions and meetings with autistic players taking shit too much seriously.

>>9078474
True

Discipline is what makes you win 200vs400.

You havent felt alive as long as you never saw an ennemy superior in numbers just run away from your mens.
>>
>>9078767
S.A., Traitor's Gate is the local chapter.
>>
>>9072796
Wow. I once thought about going to a LARP because I like the idea of sword fighting but this picture made me certain I'll never do that.

They honestly look like a bunch of retarded children with downs. This is pathetic to see.

Thank god fencing exists.
>>
>>9078869
that's what you get when amerifats try to make larps
>>
>>9078883
stfu, you're the one who is always hungry!
>>
>>9076601
For one character I wear a mask, and I never wear this mask unless I am playing the character, so putting it on is enough of a ritual to get me in character.

For the other, I listen to lots of Irish music and run through a specific set of longsword forms a few times.
>>
File: ugly.png (303 KB, 534x570) Image search: [Google]
ugly.png
303 KB, 534x570
>>9076980
I hope youre serious I just dropped some serious dosh on some more equipment for us to play with

Padded Gambeson Collar
Padded Gambeson Skirt
Milanese Greaves
Chainmail Bishops Mantle
Chainmail Skirt
Aventail for Helm
Great HelmLarge
Klappvisor Bascinet
Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Langes Messer - Silver Blade
Medieval Leg Armour Heavy Duty Cotton Padded Legging
Padded Greaves
Imperial Gambeson 15th Century
Elbow Cops with Rondels
13th Century Poleyns knees
AAAAnd one ugly fucking norman shield with a longship on it I am painting right over it. pic related
>>
Last ever Odyssey in August. I am the sads :(

Although does free me up for Drachenfest next year!
>>
>>9078869
>Thank god fencing exists.

Yeah no, I did sport fencing for a while, just as autistic as larpers just autistic about muh perfect ergonomic handles instead of pretending to be elves. The only ones to bother keeping a fucking sword grip on their car antennae are the saberfags.
>>
>>9079325
>imperial era square scutum
>vertical grip
Every time I look at odyssey I get slightly disappointed by the little details.
>>
Hey guys I need help. I'm trying to browse Mad Matt's armory website, but for some reason the web page isn't loading at all.
>>
>>9079109
Good joke, I didn't heard that one today yet
>>
>>9079448
Left fencing because it's all "hur dur here's a list of techniques" then as soon as you get into a duel you're facing a guy who's just waving his sword about like a freshman at a pool party.

No finses
>>
>>9079835
finesse* ffs
>>
File: Screenshot (341).png (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (341).png
188 KB, 1920x1080
Can somebody please explain to me why I am getting this when trying to load Mad Matt's armory?
>>
>>9079448
True. They are also big pussies about getting hit to hard. This caused me to stop going.

I didn't want to kill them but I wanted a fucking fight. I wish I could do the english version of larping with shields and swords that aren't made out of nerf because everyone here is a big pussy.
>>
>>9079325
I'm kinda saddened I missed out on Odyssey, it always looked good. But sadly I can only justify Empire as my big larp.

Currently off to No Rest for the Wicked 40k larp just now. Time to drink, fight, and do a little bit of heresy.
>>
>>9080219
Maaaan I'm jealous. no 40k larp near me. post pictures once you're wlback so I can live vicariously
>>
>>9080196
>aren't made of nerf
I mean they're still foam. They're just latex or calimacil instead of pool noodle. Then again I'm not a massive faggot who thinks latex and calimacil hits too hard.
>>
>>9079455
>muh historical accuracy
It's a larp mate not a re-enactment. There were minatours too, fairly sure they didn't have those either.
>>
>>9080387
>It's a larp mate not a re-enactment

That's true; but if a manufacturer makes equipment clearly meant to represent historical examples it's hard not to feel a little disappointed when they include flaws or errors that could be easily avoided with a little research and are no less difficult than the "correct" way of doing things.

If you buy a shield marketed as an "Orc Chieftains Targe" then historical accuracy obviously does not come into it. But with a shield explictly modelled off of, and advertised as a Roman scutum it is entirely understandable to quibble the grip. It's not the worst thing ever in larp, but if you are into that sort of thing then a little disappointment is natural.
>>
>>9080387
Even without the historical accuracy a horizontal grip is better for a curved scutum. With a horizontal grip you can at least march without it being a four foot wide awkwardly curved board to catch on literally everything around you.
>>
>>9080495
Some of my friends have ones with the more traditional grip, although I prefer the side grip as it is what i'm used to. But each to their own.
>>
>>9080549
Do you do a lot of marching when you larp? I don't, so this issue has never been one that has come up for me personally.
>>
>>9077695
>tactics evolve over time.
Yes, they did, until gunpowder arrived. And because of this disturbance we are trying to work out, what battle field tactics were "en vogue" like 1.000 years ago. We just lost track.

Sorry, am drunk.
>>
>>9080633
Tactics did not stop evolving when gunpowder came around.
>>
>>9080557
>being Roman
>not marching
Sounds like you're shit at being Roman.
>>
>>9079913
anybody know why I can't access the website?
>>
>>9079322
Sounds like you wasted your money on more useless crap, like your current "harness".
>>
Post LARP weapons with 10/10 looks
>>
I'm pretty new to LARPing and wanting a good set of armour without spending more than about AUD$1000 total, has anyone had experience with Epic Armoury? they have this armour set for AUD$700
>>
>>9080495
Sometimes they make it that way not because they don't know how to make it historically but because it's easier or cheaper to make it in a different way.
The calimacil katzbalger for example has a waaaay too long handle. But every one handed sword has the exact same lenght for the handle at calimacil. Probably something to do with the machines they have and mass production.
Although I have no idea why they made it pointy...

But yeah sometimes people are just reatarded and doesn't know better

>>9080961
will post some when I get home tomorrow, but right now I'm at our blacksmith.

>>9081613
looks uncomfortable as fuck. The groin tasset doesn't make any sense, spaulder has fuckhuge gaps, but at least it will move, breastplate goeas way too high at the neck and probably doesn't have enough room at the armpits, lower arm whatevers are small and looks like shit, shin guards are totally shit...
I mean you probably won't find that amount of coverage for cheaper but then again your smile won't be sincere when you will wear it. And just for the record most of the larp shop armours will have these problems.
(on the upside, you can probably bend it to a more reasonable form by hand)
>>
>>9081688
Thanks for the insight, do you have any suggestions of other places that i can buy armour? Really keen to get a kit but at reasonable cost
>>
>>9081693
at Australia?
Fuck knows. You are probably fucked as there are either no reasonable blacksmiths there or they are in hiding.
Problem is I can't honestly recommend nearly any larp shop armour and the better ones will be probably over 1000 AUD even for a half plate
>>
>>9081698
Damn, sucks being out in the LARP wilderness so to speak
>>
>>9081717
well you are still have it better community wise than the US.

Anyway you either look for something more expensive, or try to find a local armoursmith, or embrace the suck and wear uncomfortable armours.
They aren't THAT uncomfortable, I mean hundreds of people use them who doesn't know there are more comfortable ones out there, so it isn't the end of the world. Just don't try to think that they are real armours
>>
>>9081613
>AUD 700
>For that

You dumb lazy fucker, just buy a corrizina kit.
>>
>>9080744
Good thing it isn't 2000 years ago then isn't it.
>>
File: MCI-3125[1].png (362 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
MCI-3125[1].png
362 KB, 850x850
>>9080855
i have 3 sets of armor 1 for heavies, 2 for dress up and as well as 1 cut and thrust kit/rapier

which useless harness are you talking about and why do you think its useless? I get lots of use out of it in fact.

besides think of it as munitions armor. I very well could have dropped the money on 1 or 2 very good pieces of armor. Or I could get a bunch of inexpensive armor and arm up a few dudes.

besides, I am really stoked about this gamby
pic related
>>
>>9078832

Slaughter Creek in South Austin is also close to that area.
>>
>>9081698
I follow a couple Australian blacksmiths on YouTube. Unfortunately most of their work seams to be making horseshoes. The ones that have experience with other kinds of work are also inexperienced (have only been smithing for 2 years).
>>
>>9079913
>>9080792
looks like they didn't pay the bills in time
>>
File: 97_large.jpg (323 KB, 538x1008) Image search: [Google]
97_large.jpg
323 KB, 538x1008
>>9072796
I have a question on braies and hosen (pic related) for you guys. I have conflicting sources (as in, random people I know), some saying that braies should not be visible in your outfit, some saying they should. Which one of them is right, or does it just depend on time period and location?
>>
>>9082546
technically speaking it shouldn't be visible, that is you can be called out if your braises are visible in your everyday cloths and you are an uncivilized whatever.
So in a city, among civilized people, etc it's very bad form if your underwear shows. Like today.
There are very few exceptions gathered from sources where the underwear shows.
One of that if you are a peasant working on the field any have no fucks to given.
Another if the painter wants to show how much of a subhuman scum that person is.
Third is sometimes saints but that's mostly in the context where they should be otherwise completely naked but the painter put at least underwear on them.

That said, during some activities the underwear CAN show, one of the many reasons why the joined hose and codpiece became a thing
>>
I'm thinking of making some scabbards for my weapons.
Most people seem to just use sword frogs. What is the best lining for it that won't wear on my latex weapons? I've seen some with some with cloth linings, and spoke to one person who lines it with the same foam that is used in weapons, but I feel like that would rub too much.
Does anyone have any experience on the matter?
>>
File: Witcher - Chainmail Dark Wolf.jpg (130 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Witcher - Chainmail Dark Wolf.jpg
130 KB, 1000x563
I got a crappy chain mail armor that I bought earlier this year that needs to be refitted, and I'm thinking about just turning that project in to something more interesting. What I have in mind is the Dark Wolf armor from the Witcher (never played the game, I guess this is the right name for it).

I've never seen real life versions of it before, but I'm guessing its just a thin soft leather jacket that the chain mail gets sewn on to with leather strips running across it.

I'm mainly thinking about the comfort level and easing up the armoring process a bit that this armor brings, but I am also concerned with how the rings would act in this type of configuration since I know from experience that chain armors are a real bitch to work with sometimes.

Thoughts, suggestions and tips /larp/?
>>
Never larped myself but curious as to how the battle works. Arent you fighting with foam weapons? Dont they bend and shit in contact? How do you do enough damage as to count as "killing?" What if some turbo autist gets hit a buttload of times but pulls the "but i get up anyway because fightan spirits"
>>
>>9077695
>recruit human shields on the spot
>invite them to feast in Valhalla later

Fuckin awesome. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.
>>
>>9082811

the fuck is even going on with that armor. That's not chainmail. It looks like it's sewn into a leather jacket? But they didn't do that with chainmail. That'd be a coat of plates/brigadine (which was very good armor that was still pretty affordable.)
>>
>>9082832
>Never larped myself but curious as to how the battle works.
>Arent you fighting with foam weapons?

LARPers fight with foam weapons, reenactors with harder stuff.

>Dont they bend and shit in contact?

They bend in a flexible manner, which makes the weapons more durable against damage and last longer.

>How do you do enough damage as to count as "killing?"

Making contact with your weapon upon the body of a person counts as a "hit" and subtracts from their HP/life count often by one point (traits can boost the damage or counter it at the same time), once it reaches 0 your are either dead or unconscious with severe wounds.

Loosing HP will make you wounded and you must seek treatment to recover lost HP. Your race and specific traits determine how much base HP you have, if you wear armor you can increase the amount of HP you have and how much damage you do with your weapons.

ex:
Wood Elf
Traits: Elven Archery

HEALTH POINTS
Base - 2 HP
Armor - 1 HP (+1 Leather Scale Armor)
Total - 3 HP

WEAPON DAMAGE
Melee: Short Sword - 1 Damage
Ranged: Bow- 2 (1+1) Damage (+1 from E.A.)

>What if some turbo autist gets hit a buttload of times but pulls the "but i get up anyway because fightan spirits"

Rules are mostly just guidelines for the roleplaying of the game. Bad roleplayers breaks the rules and a good roleplayers plays along with it. If you break it to much people might stop interacting with you, and if you break a rule that leads to a critical change in the roleplaying then you might get banned from the event by the game masters.

If you don't have a specific trait that says "last stand/dying breath/fighting spirit" etc and kill an important player that has an important role you will get banned.

If you make a good scene out of it that has no serious effect on the following events then you might get praised for it. But then we are mostly talking about small events outside of major battles, like assasinations or unfair/tragic duels etc.
>>
>>9082832
Autists get kicked out of the game.
I've seen Staff not want to kick players for to keep everyone included (it was progressive) and the players just stop including him. He cheated non-stop and was annoying as fuck. So everyone just ignored him until he quit the larp. The good part was the ignoring started with "Hey, stop cheating because no one wants to larp with you." Which of course was responded with a "I dont cheat blah blah blah"
People hate cheaters and don't want to be around them.
>>
>>9083114
I feel like I should clarify. Being autistic being get you kicked from the game. Failing to follow the rules does.
Fuck man, I just hate cheaters.
>>
>>9082559
I've seen some outfits like this, are those simply historically incorrect then?
>>
>>9083692
That's the underwear (historic enterprise even sells it as such) It's a foundation/base layer although sleeveless doublets weren't that common, but existed. You need a gown or some other upper garments for it to be complete. It's like going to the streets in your underwear which as I said bad form, uncivilized and according to some clothing laws in the medieval times even illegal.
>>
>TFW 2 Calimacil weapons go unusable wìthin 3 weeks

Life is pain.
>>
>>9083751
How the hell did that happen?
>>
>>9083692
>>9083715
So basically the medieval equivalent for sagging in todays fashion?
>>
>>9083861
with the exception that you could be fined for it or may or may not get a beating with the flat of a blade
>>
Does anyone have videos that show Sword&Shield fighting that looks good? Looking for inspiration for my Drachenfest character (fighting with Sword&Shield and most fights are very theatrical)
>>
>>9082811
If you do this, you'd actually avoid a lot of problems, because most issues with chainmaille come from the joints like armpits, I believe. It may not have a historical parallel, but It looks cool. Do it, keep us updated.
>>
>>9083931
it's mostly for steal weapons, so most of the stuff might not work for you, but the shield part is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Ms9RMH7IA
>>
>>9077316

I can tell you from experience that there is nothing quite as frightening as being on the outside edge of a formation in a large scale fight.

Except perhaps being in the middle of the formation when everyone on the sides tries desperately to NOT be at the sides. Only time I ever got hurt beyond simple scrapes and bruises was when I got my ribs bruised all on one side because my friends shield tried to enter my ribcage with around 20+ people pushing behind it.

This is why I prefer skirmishes myself.
>>
>>9083766
First one was lended to a couple of friends to fight with and returned with a tear near the tip, the other had its blade starting to disconnect from its handle.
I'll say though the guarantee thing is great and the costumer service is awesome.
>>
>>9084462
both of those are kind of common, as much as it's possible for calimacil weapon.
Tear at tip is after heavy use, two that we used at hema trainings had those, although both was way over the guarantee time, but one of them was repairable.

The disconnect from handle can also simply repaired by quick glue, seen it only at refurbished versions and the kid versions so far
>>
>>9084310
Oh, I know this. But what about like, impressive stuff? I was told the fights and especially duels should look epic and all. (Watched the videos of the champion duels and they all look rather decent, maybe except the green champ)
>>
>>9084491
Oh, so is it a common thing? Should I not worry?
Thing is, it happened in both of my swords while the rest of Calimacil swords my friends have are unharmed
>>
File: Dark Wolf Chain Jacket WIP 2.png (278 KB, 2600x1950) Image search: [Google]
Dark Wolf Chain Jacket WIP 2.png
278 KB, 2600x1950
>>9082991
Its fantasy, if everyone around me runs around in 99€ leather harnesses then I might as well enjoy some liberties.

>>9084025
If I keep a 99% chainmail coverage in the design I think that the armpit joint problem might get worse unless I magically manage to take my sewing engineering to a new level. I think I will just cover the joints up the same way the edges are to avoid potential problems, thus making the chain separated in to three parts instead of one.

I do wonder how well the stitches will hold up though.
>>
There's a girl in my larp group who joined because her boyfriend larps. She is super new to larping, and also really hates me.

So
She spends 90% of the time talking "in character" about ways she will mutilate me, kill me, or torture me.
This includes almost all ways that don't even make sense in the larp world.

People have tried to casually say that she's being a bit out of character and that stuff doesn't make sense to say, especially when her character is supposed to be a "super nice elf"

If she starts using the larp to say how much she dislikes me again, I'm going to flip.
But I don't want to get in trouble with the admins.

How do I tell get her to stop? Because even people blatantly saying she shouldn't say that stuff is apparently not working.
>>
>>9084726
Sorry for the typos.

Also, added note:
If it isn't obvious, I'm pretty bad with just confronting someone and saying "you need to fucking stop. I get you hate me, but you're taking it too far and making me uncomfortable."
Plus, I don't want to ruin the story since generally I'm NPCing so new members can quest.
>>
>>9084726
Try to avoid her if its a possibility, larping attracts those kinds of people and its not possible to change their minds because they are just that mentally retarded.

If you cant then talk to her boyfriend or the admins about it and do mention that it makes you uncomfortable.
>>
>>9084786

That's what I'm trying so far, but she always navigates over to where my character is.

Almost forgot, one of the admins is her boyfriend (unfortunately)
And he has a short fuse along with his horrible taste in women.
>>
What do you do when someone spoils shit out of game? I recently had someone spoil a semi major character point out of game. (It was know by some players, but not the majority.)
Call them out? Just ignore it? Post "DELETE THIS"?
Do I just trust people not to meta it? Its not game ending if people know, but my character was just getting "trustworthy" and this will definitely lose the status.
>>
>>9084726
>>9084737
You have to say "you need to fucking stop. I get you hate me, but you're taking it too far and making me uncomfortable."
Its awkward but better than the alternative. 2 tips for it though. 1. Do it out of game (before the game actually starts) 2. Do it with anyone else around.
That way she can't bend what you said or lie about it. Be polite.

Or just deal with it.
>>
File: meyer-zornhut-1570.jpg (267 KB, 671x336) Image search: [Google]
meyer-zornhut-1570.jpg
267 KB, 671x336
So I've been flipping through some historical stuff for costume inspiration and I've fallen in love with the dudes in Meyer's fechtbuch.
Does anyone have patterns for a civilian doublet like the one on the left?
>>
>>9072980
I'm a UK Larper, and that doesn't look unlike my weapons. Tbh I think mine are prettier, they're mostly standard Eldritch but his stuff is rather polished. Is this unusual for Americans or something?

There's a stereotype of American larp being either full-contact/metal swords/ no plot, or boffer weapons/badly-written systems/whiny munchkins. Is that true, then? Sorry, new to these threads.
>>
>>9076601
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
...no, seriously, I just get dressed, often while bantering with the boyfriend and going over my stats and the general system of the game.

Do you start out of character and slowly work in? Instant switch?
I think the process of getting dressed gets me there, but overall is pretty much instantaneous. Sometimes a dumb accent or tic will take a while to sink into or stick for a few hours post-game, but it's nbd.
>>
>>9078869
That's not representative of my experience of larp in the UK. I mean, the level of autism is probably similar, but at least it's the smart kind.
>>
>>9073833
I don't do Odyssey, but I swear I've been at the same larp as you at least once. Do you do Empire, Fall of Vusoria, or Project Ragnarok? You look really familiar.
>>
>>9085269
>full-contact/metal swords
The thing in vogue is wood swords, actually.
Imagine all the things people normally do at tapfighting games. Now imagine that everyone there is using hardwood wasters and calling it 'full-contact.' It's that kind of depressing.

otherwise yeah costuming tends to be kinda on the low side, but I think that's more of a function of LARP in America being more of a teenager/college student thing, and neither of those two demographics has too much money to throw at costumes. It kinda lowers the bar for everyone else.
>>
>>9084556
First of all, I don't think that any larp duel looks impressive from an outsiders perspective, and even the bigger battles are questionable.
But I'm a cynic dickhead so take that into account.
Secondly you can reliably do "impressive" stuff if you already trained and can reliably do the mundane ones. Otherwise you will only think that you do impressive stuff but actually it will be just wibbly wobbly flappy things.

>>9084562
not THAT common. I mean calimacil weapons hard to damage. But IF they are damaged those are the most common things, plus the cuts because of other people's armour (which can also rapaired by quick glue that melts together the material, but that 'scar' will be harder from then on)
With our swords it happened after two years, and we used it extensively. Like going to several events, not just larps, where we handed out them to random civilians who wanted to swordfight, so in the two years they were used and abused by at least a thousand different people.

>>9084726
>"super nice elf"
>elf
>nice
yeah....

>How do I tell get her to stop?
First option (I would prefer this one):
shovel to the face. until she stops.
Second option (this can work too but the shovel is still better):
Don't do about it anything out of game. She pretends it's an in game thing then you accept those terms and realize two people can play this game. Call her character out on a duel because she is mocking you (can be tricky if you aren't good and she gets a white knight). Hire assassins, or just simply shank her prison style when nobody is watching. Alternatively hire a bard or someone (or do it yourself) who will spread rumors about how all elves are whores and stuff like that. I presume you know what she will hate the most so you can tailor the rumors

There are other possibilities of course but a lot of thing depends on how accepted you are in the community, how accepted the girl and his boyfriend, does you have a few friends who won't rat you out, etc
>>
>>9084865
depends. How thick is your face?
Because you can totally say "yeah, this is true, but if you act on it that means you are cheating and metagaming" which is a huge dick move because people will dismiss things that they would already know in fear that someone would think they are a cheater. That they would go full nigger too.

>>9085058
that's just a doublet with the upper layer slashed, nothing REALLY exceptional about it, that is, if you know how to make a doublet.

>>9085269
>Tbh I think mine are prettier
entirely possible, calimacil weapons aren't known because of their prettiness but because of their durability.
> Is this unusual for Americans or something?
both yours and mine are unusual for americans. They have mostly ultralights and dickswords, but thank good nowdays calimacil and latex weapons slowly creep in but they are still aren't the norm.
>There's a stereotype of American larp being either full-contact/metal swords/ no plot, or boffer weapons/badly-written systems/whiny munchkins. Is that true, then? Sorry, new to these threads.
They THINK that what they doing is full contact. But in reallity what they mean that you are allowed hit full force with a 100 gramm heavy weapon but not in every area and minimal "wrestling" is allowed, that is if you butcher the word.
metal swords on larps nearly never happens, not even in russia, so that's just a wishful thinking at best, blatant lying at worst.
but yeah they tend to call boffer-tags larp, and their larps are badly written DnD IN REAL LIFE
>>
>>9084694
Can be done. Friend of mine did a similar thing with an old knee long chainmail. He has sown (my god, how does this word work? sew sewed sewn sown?) it on a leather mantle and it looks rather splendid. Quick to put on as well. Not exactly sure whether it's historically accurate but it's quite similar to a plate mantle or brigantine, so it's alright in my book.
>>
File: darkcouteau.jpg (30 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
darkcouteau.jpg
30 KB, 450x800
>>9084726
Spit in her open mouth and say its in character.

Keep shanking her slowly and say;
''Dont worry i'm just killing your char over and over because i like playing with you''

Next time she says anything like that just tell her:
''You can try''
Then just punch her.
Not even kiding just punch her over and over and scream:
''WE ARE ROLEPLAYING GUDDUMNIT!''

>How do I tell get her to stop?
The most efficient and diplomatic way would be to tell her that she is not your friend but a stranger, and that you are not interested of being insulted by her and if she keep doing it, you will see this as a show of real disrespect.

Then if after this if she keep doing it its fair game.

- Shit in her car
- Ask a cute friend to fuck her boyfriend so they break up
- shoot an arrow in her face then act sorry
- wear a mask and catch her alone, then just shank her fo' real
>grab her then hang her
>write a suicide note calling her boyfriend a rapist and pedophile
>boyfriend kill himself, serves him rigth for bringing that bitch
>larp get cancelled
>Somehow the islamic state say it was their job
>population goes Gung-ho for war
>China say to stay away
>war break out
>China hang himself after bleeding out from self inflicted stab wounds.
>suicide note say its all russia's fault
>Russia and the u.s. now work together
>no girlz allowd
>>
>>9085514
Calimacil guy here. First one tore after 9 months of weekly use. Few hours a week. Is that legit?
>>
>>9085658
depends on intensity, but that's indeed a short time
>>
>>9085530
I have no idea what How thick is your face means.
I'm trying to avoid calling attention to the post in hopes that less people will see it. I figure if I start saying lots of shit it'll be spread more. Then, actually talk to the chick calling out in person, tell her not to do that shit again.
>>
>>9085785
Is there a saying in english about people having thick skin on their face can blatantly lie better?
Hoped there is, because that's a thing in hungarian.
Anyway, the dickhead option I described is you openly embrace the thing and force everyone to disregard that information because it is meta, and therefore cheating. Which may or may not work.

But if you start talking about even asking to delete it it will rise attention and from that point anything can happen. Maybe the one who put up will come to his/her senses, maybe people will go full information grabbing mode, etc.
tl;dr: you are in a shitty situation and you have to decide which way you do damage control, because damage has already been done and you can only lessen it not completely negate.
>>
>>9080226
There was no photographer this event sadly.

>>9085310
Shit, I was so gutted to miss P:R, work always got in the way. I'll definitely be there for whatever follows.
>>
>>9082143
Hey faggot. Just caught up on your bullshit posts.

Every kit you have ever posted has been shitty, off the shelf GDFB/Deepeeka bullshit that has questionable use as armour and is designed like dogshit.

So how about you post a single picture of you at an actual event or practice, wearing your actual heavy harness or cut and thrust harness, rather than trying to posture like some alpha nerd dickbat wielder.

By the way, anon is right, buying a fucking epic armoury gambeson is a huge waste of money of shitty stitching and polyfill, even though time and time again people who know better have discussed proper, cheaper, better gambesons ad nausium.
>>
>>9085269
>>9085392
>full-contact/metal swords/ no plot

Your average American cannot tell the difference between a Larp, historic fencing, or bohurt etc, and it tends to get mashed together. Don't believe the hype on this.

Also, HAPPY TREASON DAY! <3, AMERICA
>>
Where's a good place where I can buy a cheap metal corrizina for heavy SCA sparring?
>>
>>9086910
Armour Archive forum's Classified page. Madd Mat made corrazina kits, but his site is down.
>>
>>9086953
Yeah noticed. Looks like he forgot to pay dem bills.
>>
Managed to get a butt load of cheap bronze rings recently and wanna make some fantasy esque ringmail. (It counts as a point lower than chain in our system)

What would people recommend as a backing material to sew them onto?
I'm thinking leather/suede jerkin/Doublet but any help would be grand.
>>
>>9087888
fake leather is out of the question. Looks like shit and not strong enough. Either real leather (expensive) or get maybe some strong canvas which you can may or may not paint. Linen is always an option as always
>>
>>9087897
Yeah learnt my lesson on that with some tassets that lasted 1 game.
>>
history time - UK larp style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yiarlxxN4
link is to a video from the UK childrens programe Blue peter who in 1983, visited peckforten castle in Cheshire to take part in Treasure trap, considered to be the starting point for larping in the UK and which produced produced many players who went to setup many more events such as Fools and heroes, the gathering etc
sadly thoiught the game collapsed in 1985 [ in part due to money and losing acess to Peckforten] although there are 2 sirviving groups [Durham University Treasure Trap and university of Sussex] that still run events using the TT rules as a base.
Peckforten nowaday has been fully restored however its now a wedding and meeting venue, with apparently a clause in its lease banning larping and larp based events from being held there [citation needed on that though].

some other people videos of their own experiences of TT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoU9eNHqXL8&hl=en-GB&gl=GB
three parter
[part 1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItRW9uXfIQ
[part 2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GVntOTY9g
[part 3]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awrXjGKcth8
>>
>>9087915
as far as i know the first photos from actual larps (as we know them today) with ducktape weapons and such are from the UK. But don't quote me on that.
>>
>>9086872
Posts like these are why I like you, Gropes.
>>
File: witcher2.jpg (66 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
witcher2.jpg
66 KB, 720x960
>>9082811
Do it if you can, I'm working on a Geralt myself, more from Witcher 2 than anything. 'Scuse the Bandolier, its a stand in untill I get the proper baldric.
>>
>>9084726
If you heard her talking about how she'll murder your character stab her with a calimacil dagger.

If you heard her talking about how she's going to murder you stab her with the real knife you keep to knife fight the hillbillies. Also you should start carrying a knife to knife fight hillbillies.
>>
>>9088016
a knife is a terrible weapon to fight with. It's good for shanking and murdering people, but I wouldn't advise it for fights.
>>
File: m-016.jpg (479 KB, 1633x1225) Image search: [Google]
m-016.jpg
479 KB, 1633x1225
>>9088021
Exactly, why are you not murder/stabbing people with glorious Schiavona? It pairs well with any outfit and gives glorious hand protection when fighting those dirty Ottomans or defending your righteous Doge.
>>
>>9088021
I recommend a shovel. Terrific weapon and plausible deniability.
>>
>>9088036
schiavona is shit. It can't do anything more than the non-gay weapons can
>>
File: j3y3b.jpg (169 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
j3y3b.jpg
169 KB, 500x375
>>9086872
you want video of me to prove it? I can take a video of practice tomorrow if you want lol. All my pics are from years ago because I dont have a smart phone and I dont set about taking selfies and such like.

I never said my kits were amazing or anything I just collect it. Its one of my many hobbies. I dont need a custom $5k kit to swing around plastic waisters do I? Mostly I fuck around with just a gamby/gaunts/helm for fun.

But you can keep throwing shade and insults it doesnt matter and really makes me get a sensible chuckle.

I am secure enough in my own life and hobbies and never once tossed you an insult gropey, just remember that.
>>
>>9088233
You are a massive tool who got called out by the clownfag. No one likes you. It may be time to retire the namefagging buddy.
>>
>>9088233
You talk a lot of shit and have nothing to back it up. Im not even sca, but anyonr can tell you're full of shit.
>>
>>9088251
>>9088256
youre right i really dont know why i came to visit here. and why i was talking about playing dress up which is a part of LARP and what not right? I never get anything but negativity from these threads

These threads are always so toxic anyways ill just leave you all to yourselves. good day.
>>
>>9088488
And so knigga joins the grave of shea550 and many other namefags. How many tripfags will come and go before another joins the ranks of gropey, hungarian and frenadian as thread regulars?
>>
>>9088646
I'm semi-regular, but never been a prolific poster.
>>
>>9088652
You have also never been a shitposter.
>>
>>9085588
Any idea what base materials he used?

Biggest issue I have is what type of leather (and thickness etc) to use and how I should engineer the construction.

So far I've come to the conclusion that about every other ring will have to be individually sewed on to the jacket for it to become stable enough. With the leather stripes running across being there mainly for design purposes and some extra strengthening.

>>9087977
Nice, I'm not doing a Geralt cosplay (yet) but I really like the inspiration the witcher series give.
>>
>>9088646
Flee until its too late,
You will only find pain and misery here
>>
>>9089429
Sadly, that's very true.
>>
>>9088233

I'd like to see the video.
>>
>>9088646

Hotel California, this place.
>>
>>9088719
in japan there was a chainmail that was sewn into a hard textile backing, IIRC every second row was sewned to it.

About the leather, vegetable tanned is the preferred one if you want to give it a shape that it should hold, otherwise the standard chrome tanned is good enough.
Also I would say that you shouldn't go above 2 mm in thickness. Right now I'm working on my new jerkin and I use a 4-5mm thick leather. While it's nice that it can stop some swords on the overlapping parts it's not that easy to work with.
>>
>>9085514
You have given me a brilliant idea on how to deal with the psycho elf girl.
>>
>>9089700
the price of the advice is that you have to come back and tell the story of how it worked. Or anything interesting that happened on the larp
>>
>>9088668
Shit, I'm obviously not trying hard enough.
>>
>>9089714
compare UK larps to US larps more. Also state how better your stuff is compared to others.
Call gropey fat, call me a slav, call frenedian a mapple-nigger.
These always works
>>
File: Japanese undergarment chainmail.jpg (117 KB, 1275x846) Image search: [Google]
Japanese undergarment chainmail.jpg
117 KB, 1275x846
>>9089689
>in japan there was a chainmail that was sewn into a hard textile backing, IIRC every second row was sewned to it.

Found it

They used linen as a base material, so now I'm thinking about using black linen and then decorate it with dark leather on the outside details.
>>
>>9089901
well, linen breaths better and cheaper so it's better for this kind of stuff. Then again if done right leather can look better, but more expensive and may have ventilation problems. Although for a jacket kind of thing it shouldn't be a big problem
>>
>>9085310
I do Empire, I had a character in Marches called Xander. He died so I NPC and crew now.
>>
Picked up some PU armour for my new Empire character. I am bored of de-rusting my plate all the time (yay England rain) and I wanted something OTT and unhistorical as balls, The character itself will be a super salty death-worshiping solider cliche/trope so the armour works well.

>In b4 but muh histuuuricurrl acurecurrr
>>
>>9090312
>I am bored of de-rusting my plate all the time (yay England rain)
that's why I paint my armour. That and it looks cool in black.
>>
>>9090315
Very true, i've bought some Hammerite spray to paint my plate, but decided to try some low maintenance PU too. The metal is now too pitted to buff the rust out so painting is only option.
>>
>>9090312
Looks good, Wyrmwick?
>death-worshiping
Sounds like heresy to me. Tasty, tasty heresy.
>>
>>9090312
Please tell me you're a knight of Morr.
>>
>>9090391
Very similar as it happens
>>
>>9089904
I think linnen will be the better option since the weather can be very struggling here and having breathing material is a big plus (if not a must).

Do you think I should go with two or three layers to create some extra padding/base stength?
>>
>>9090550
entirely depends on the thickness/density of the linen you use. But you could easily go up to 4-5 layers even with thicker ones
>>
>>9082565
I'm not experienced with them, but my educated guess would be to go for leather or a thick, rough material with something soft like satin on the inside. As far as how to make one, you can pretty much just sew a tube of cloth and hook it up to a belt suspension system.
>>
>>9082996
Keep in mind, of course, that this is just one type of rules. Some games instead have rules where there are no hit points but if you get hit in an arm/leg you lose it, and chest/head you die, for instance.
>>
File: P1170296.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
P1170296.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1600
Hey fellas, can I play?
>>
>>9086872
you sound like a jealous fat faggot. None of your armor looks particularly good with you in it, and all of your armor is designed like horseshit because it was made to have a lard ass in it.

>>9088233
don't even bother responding to gropey. he's not worth your time to try to validate yourself to someone who literally doesn't matter out of the small group of people who circle jerk arround the lard ass.
>>
I know that I said this thread will contain 135% more autism but we are close to 200% right know, and from the far side
>>
also, slightly more interesting news: it looks like Wyvern made their own calimacil clone weapon and they will show it to everyone at Drachenfest
>>
>>9091413
Hi knigga. You seem mad.
>>
ell0
Wanting to do some larping stuff, is it worth to save up and buy actual full gear or to build and rock up?
>Pic is a bit old but most of my gear
>>
>>9092132
>is it worth to save up and buy actual full gear or to build and rock up?
>Pic is a bit old but most of my gear
wat

you already have an armor set, all you need is a foam sword of some sort and possibly a larp approved shield
>>
>>9092132
That's a goddamn nice kit. Just like, buy a calimacil sword and you'll be set.
>>
>>9092132
I love the sallet/gorget combo. I nearly sliced a finger tip off with a sallet once. Lesson learned.
>>
>>9092132
Where do you buy an armor set like that? (Excluding chain mail) Or did you make it, senpai-pai?
>>
>>9091851
>Wyvern
Do they have an English function on their site?
>>
>>9092535
fuck knows, I mostly use google translate.
But they posted the promo video on their facebook page

Also I will be off to our big summer larp here in 12 hours.
If in the meantime Hungary is in the news about some kind of forest fire or anything related you are my witnesses that I was here the whole time, not in the forest in a pretend dress-up, playing with fire and fire accessories
>>
>>9092535
Doesn't look like it.

Finally, all those German classes will pay off! And they told me it was useless to learn a language other than Spanish.
>>
>>9091126
No, your shoes don't fit.
>>
>>9092236
>>9092524
Spanks you.
>>9092534
Bought it from an Australian site called "Medieval fight club"
>>
>>9091413
His kit is really quite good on him DESU, and all the anons and namefags who've met him all agreed that he's a good foam and steel fighter. His weight aside, you seem buttmad, knigga.

I also don't personally think he looks that big either. Both you, and he himself make it out that he's a huge, but he looks pretty fit-fat to me. Strongman shape.
>>
>>9091126
Yeah, find any airsoft larp.
I've done one in plate before. Was fun as hell.
We play a group of templar bringing God to the heathens.
>>
>>9091413
>>9092627
He might be a big boy, but he's a fucking tank of a man and hits hard and fast. Far more janky and mobile than you'd guess.

11/10 bro. Would go gay for.
>>
>>9092766
i know plenty of sca fighters that would rape him. I genuinely don't believe he's a top tier fighter, and im 100% positive i would embarrass him in a regular foam fighting system in any fighting style aside from single sword or florentine.
>>
>>9092766
>>9092627
also, no. he doesn't look strongfat. thor here looks strongfat. gropey looks like an autist who doesn't give a shit about his health or personal appearance. And coming from a military background, it says he's lazy, uncommitted, and generally unmotivated. Successful people know success starts inward, not necessarily limited to money, but life in general. If you are not fit, you are not achieving the potential you set yourself to.

I have no respect for a person who does not set the bar high for themselves. "the world is full of people who try real hard and then say they're sorry." Don't be that guy.
>>
File: thor.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
thor.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>9092817
forgot pic.
>>
>>9073544
depending on the park they swing lead pipes and do have a good amount of great fighters, but there are quite a few parks in TX
>>
>>9092811
>>9092817
Go away knigga, no one wants you here
>>
>>9092817
>obviously doesn't know clownbro
>>
>>9092811
>i know plenty of sca fighters that would rape him.
Its a world wide org. He regularly places in interkingdom events, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't facefuck anyone who posts here.

>im 100% positive i would embarrass him in a regular foam fighting system in any fighting style aside from single sword or florentine.
His main game is polearm and sword n'buckler.
>>
File: 367933003947.jpg (40 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
367933003947.jpg
40 KB, 720x960
>>9092817
>gropey looks like an autist who doesn't give a shit about his health or personal appearance.

The fuck you talking about? He's a total fop who is all about appearance, and he's a popular newcommer in the east ACL. Quit talking about people you don't know.

>And coming from a military background
>the world is full of people who try real hard

Like you. Quit being a gigantic faggot. More of us served than you really want to know.
>>
>>9092817
>Gropey r dum
>ima a super ripped navy seal irl
When will summer end?
>>
>this thread

>>9072796
>135% more autism
We have well surpassed that.
>>
>>9092817
>the world is full of people who try real hard and then say they're sorry
>And coming from a military background

Holy shit the lack of self-awareness is just sad. I can't even laugh at this.
Also I missed a couple threads. Can someone get me up to speed on why another would-be namefag is trying to start shit with Gropey?
>>
Belgium here, who is going to Raganarok or Avatar this year?
>>
>>9093025
see here >>9091751
I would say we past 275% five post ago
>>
File: DSC04238.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC04238.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
alright, so two more hours until I go and try not to set everything on fire and do human experiments in my alchemy lab.
It's a shame I didn't bought sulfur, there will be people who most probably would have begged for a little sulfur smoke
>>
>>9093224
Guy started posting pics of his shitty kit, bragging about how cheap it was and generally making a giant cock of himself. People said it looked like shit, some provided examples of non shit kits, Gropey included. I guess he latched into Gropalope because his attitude can admittedly make him come across kind of assholish.

Anyway, now he's disappeared and either trying to anonpost or he brought another of Gropey's haters out of the woodwork.
>>
>>9093229
I'm going to Ragnarok, as a Condottiere.
I intend to be the most magnificent bastard on the battlefield, even if i'm not that much a good fighter
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su7CCmhQDeE

Do you guys have anything else to add about Drachenfest?
>>
>>9092876
My dashing prince <3
>>
>>9092876
Even I fucking served. Although I was a REMF!
>>
>>9092861
would rape him in spear/pike or glave, would rape him in sword and board.

>>9092876
then you should realize hes a lazy fuck.
if he cared about his appearance he would lose weight, get a decent hair cut, and shave his mutton chops.

>>9092880
didn't say i was a navy seal or ripped, but i can run a mile without losing a lung(;

>>9093310
literally everyone in cgl larp threads have shitty kits. Hungarian looks like his mom dressed him, or he bought his shit from a shitty halloween store.

The canadian isnt bad and hes nice so he gets a pass

I don't know what kniggas shit is and i dont care its probably shit.

gropeys kit is shit, he doesnt even have nice armor compared to standard sca.

redimiw? i dont remember his shit but he talks about his gorget enough.

none of you other autists post pics but im sure they are shit.

all of you talk way to much shit for having such shit kits. half of you are in europe and use costume grade shit that literally cant hold up in anything past lightest touch systems. and gropey is a pretentious cunt. I've literally never seen him say something nice unless he was complemented first and would look like a further ass if he didnt respond in kind.

lets further on this, Look at how fucking elitist and immature all of you are. you literally told a dude to leave because he was happy with what he had. fucking grow up and start treating your fellow larpers with kindness and respect. I know its the internet and 99% of you wouldnt have the Audacity to talk shit irl, but this is the toxic mentality you are breeding. This is why the SCA is dying and growing smaller year after year. This is why people leave larps.

at the end of the day, you are burning bridges and pushing away people you could have had fun fighting. quit being cunts and grow up.
>>
File: download.jpg (66 KB, 568x335) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
66 KB, 568x335
>>9094298
>costume grade
The issue seems that most the drama is from SCA/Hema enthusiasts clashing with larpers. If you want a reenactment thread then start one in /his/. Larp is mostly fantasy, and for fun not competitive, so if I want to go to war with the fucking unicorn people, with a fucking collendor on my head and a 4ft long rubber dildo then I fucking will do.
>>
Two questions:
1) Has anyone ever saw HLF or Gropey fight? Or better yet, can someone post a vid of them fight? (Even themselves if they feel like it). SCA or HEMA goes too. Not trying to downplay or disrespect, just legit curious about how good are they.

2) Do all LARP foamfighting (Or latex/calimacil fighting, for that matter) look cringey from the side? I try make my fighting look theatrical and good but I wonder wether it's a goal you could ever reach or not. Has anyone here ever genuinely enjoyed from a LARP duel, for instance?
>>
>>9094342
1) No idea
2) Larp fighting (not boffaLarp) can look good if done properly. Some systems have global hit points and encourage "tappy tappy" style fighting that I HATE.

I much prefer larps with tighter hit rules encouraging cinematic fighting. One of the systems I do is called Odyssey which is a lot of one on one combat/duels in a big arena in front of gathered players, so cinematic showy fighting is encouraged.
>>
>>9094342
I have a fair few good larpy duel pics floating around if you want to see them?
>>
>>9094349
>>9094356
Pics would be cool too I guess. Vids are preferred tho. Also is there a way to improve at it?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.