[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Samuraicon on Ohayocon Weekend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: Samuraicon.png (144 KB, 851x315) Image search: [Google]
Samuraicon.png
144 KB, 851x315
Samuraicon. Finally an alternative to Ohayocon, right in their back yard, same weekend. Competition always brings forth the best effort on both sides. I for one stopped attending Ohayocon a few years ago, and am excited to have some type of alternative.

It could flop, but Ohayocon will have to try to put forth their best effort this year in case it doesn't. And Samuraicon will have to come out with a lot of great things to pull people over to their side who are currently on the fence with Ohayocon.
>>
>>9070152
Hm. All my friends go to ohayocon but I'd consider this, especially if it's cheap
>>
>>9070186

According to the even group parking is free, tickets are significantly cheaper, and the hotel looks like it'll be cheaper. I think I'll check it out at the very least. Haven't gone to Ohayocon in 3+ years now.
>>
I've been going to Ohayocon for at least 10 years if not more. It's a shit show, and I only go to hang out with friends or go in the dealers room and artist alley. I haven't attended any worthwhile programming there in eons. I'll wait to see what this con has to offer, but I'll probably give this one a shot.
>>
I went to Yoi-Con so I might as well go to the other start up con in Columbus. Hopefully this one won't be as tiny.
>>
>>9070228
Sounds awesome, I'll go for sure as long as I'm in the states then
>>
>>9070152

Hmm... I've been to Ohayocon for a number of years now. But I've had a lot of issues the last two years. If staffing/security is better at Samuraicon, I'm in.
>>
I could write a 10 page essay on why James Gibbs is a scumbag. Here's to hoping this convention crashes and burns.
>>
>>9070520
>Hopfully it wont be as tiny
>first year con
>>
>>9070152
>long established con that had a few problems due to size but is generally alright
Vs
>new baby con with no attractions, guests, less space, and a green staff.
>>
>>9071165
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>9071165

Please do, since I know him personally and he's always been a good person. He's a scumbag for offering an alternative?
>>
>>9071645

Staff is far from green. Very experienced group. Guests and events aren't even announced yet. You seem presumptuous and butt hurt. I'm still checking it out.
>>
>>9071645
>>long established con that had a few problems due to size but is generally alright
Lol Ohayocon has just a "few" problems?

They haven't offered anything new in a long time, their security / staff treat attendees like shit, and the fallout on their pages after their convention over is a trash fire that their staff has to struggle to keep under control from all of the problems.

Last year they had to spend all weekend deleting threads of Staff laying hands on attendees, swearing at attendees, and in general being absolute shitlords.

Also if this brand new baby con with no attractions is such a non factor why is everyone getting their jimmies so rustled over it?
>>
>>9071165
Is this the guy that does the anime club? One of my friends was saying how he harassed him and some girls and is generally a douche.
>>
>>9072050

Not that I know of
>>
>>9071999

Pretty much this. I'm all for trying something new. I've been done with Ohayocon for a while. Their entire vendor room department has stupid personal issues with a lot of good vendors too. There's complaints every year from tons of my vendor friends (I'm a current vendor there fed up with the shit) about being banned for no reason out of the blue. They also go years (yes, years, same with NDK) without getting email responses back or explanations. Gives vendors and artists who've been screwed by Ohayocon another chance to make money that weekend. Go for it.
>>
>>9071679
Peacemealing out events and guests doesn't build hype. It more communicates that you dont have anything to offer. E.g ACEN 2016
>>
>>9071999
>Also if this brand new baby con with no attractions is such a non factor why is everyone getting their jimmies so rustled over it?

Because it reeks of attention whore bs. A part of their pitch is 'we aren't ohayo'. They are going for a protest vote angle. Why else would they set themselves up as direct rivals? It's bad business for both. Set it up the weekend before or after ohayo so people can taste test both. By putting it on the same weekend they are just aiming to be drama whores. Like you can picture their meeting in their mom's basment when they came up with this idea.
>>
>>9073148

>Moms Basement
>Literally doesn't know who the con chair is
>Literally doesn't know the con chair actually lives a pretty nice life, and makes good money.
>Literally has 0 idea why this isn't necessarily bad for business whatsoever because can't see past the surface
>Literally has 0 idea what he is talking about and reeks of butthurt and ignorance.
>>
I have literally only seen Colossalcon staffers talk like they're excited about this. No wonder everyone thinks Donnell is putting it on. They need to get a more diverse army of shills.
The only argument I've seen in favor of this is "lower cost," but a 3-day badge is still $40 pre-reg, which just so happens to be Ohayo's usual early pre-reg cost. Hotel is cheaper, yeah, but it's out at the intersection of 270 and 71 right next to the Budweiser plant. No shit it's gonna be cheaper up there because there's almost nothing around.
>>
Hmm... established kinda shitty con downtown or brand new con run by a scumbag in the second most axe murdery part of Columbus.

Hmm...
>>
When there is nothing listed for events and is a "5-10 minute drive from the con center" but that would mean driving 132 MPH to get there in that time frame.
But hey prereg for this /awesome/ game room.
>>
First year con means next to no security. Sounds like a hell of a party.
>>
>>9071165
>James Gibbs is a scumbag

trufax
>>
>>9074056
Wait. But the conchair just makes all his money off of his friends conventions. And he does live at home even though he's like 30. Lol
>>
>>9072050

Isn't that the guy from Anime Punch? I heard he got the cops involved at some con for touching an underage girl.
>>
>>9084450
I think I know the story you're referencing...

Last spring at Armageddicon, one of the hotelgoers (not a con-goer) was in the pool area, which coincidentally was left open to congoers and hotel people alike. Some congoers jumped in and apparently one of the hotel visitors was rather heftily creeping on them, to the point where police were called and a report was filed. Don't know what came of it though.

I drank with him a bit at that con, he didn't seem out of the ordinary. Had a nice sense of self deprecating humor.
>>
Sounds fun, I'll check it out.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.