[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wig thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 18
File: jPXowZ1.jpg (130 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jPXowZ1.jpg
130 KB, 1920x1080
New wig thread since there doesn't seem to be one in the catalog!

unused wig suggestion thread
>>>9043670
>>
how would I go about doing this? I don't want to use an afro wig because they look like shit and are cheap (plus he has straight bangs). I was thinking about using arda's Stevie in dark copper and teasing it, but I don't think it's light enough...
>>
I have a question about wig dyeing. I need to ombre dye a wig from a blue-purple to a red-purple and wanted to know if it's possible to do that (using FW acrylic inks) on a wig that is already red-purple. Reference photo for character on left, wig in question on right. Also, for anyone who has done ombre, what is the best technique? Dip? Spray? Paint on?
>>
>>9066929
what i'd do is style it and use createx airbrush paint on it (with an airbrush duh)
>>
>>9066880
I could see it being done by brushing out a tightly curled wig to give it big waves maybe? You'll get a lot of volume that way. And actually I think dark copper red would be the perfect color! Maybe get the claudia wig?
>>
File: wig ref.jpg (176 KB, 1461x1170) Image search: [Google]
wig ref.jpg
176 KB, 1461x1170
I'm trying to find a center part wig that is at *least* shoulder length in a deep teal color.

I've been having a hard time finding that combination. I could end up sewing my own center part in but where the bangs split on the forehead needs to look really sharp! Any Ideas? Image attached shows center part style I want and then the other pic is color reference! Second wig pic (ardas westley in mako green) would've been perfect but it's too short :/ Thanks!
>>
>>9067084

So... what if I do not have an airbrush nor plan on investing in one? I feel like I can figure out the application of the dye, but my main question is would I be able to gradient in a blue-purple on top of this existing wig color.
>>
>>9067114
you could *try* to dye it, but it's gonna come out way darker than the reference
perhaps the posca pen method?
>>
File: Sailor_Pluto_01.jpg (91 KB, 343x500) Image search: [Google]
Sailor_Pluto_01.jpg
91 KB, 343x500
Any idea where I can find a dark/black green wig for Sailor Pluto? I find most are too bright or dull. I love Arda's Mirkwood green but their wigs are way too big for my head. I'm also leery about getting an ebay wig because I don't want it to be too thin. I'm not going for full length either, 100cm would be fine. I'd consider dyeing one, but most dyes only do regular green, and most dyes are not true blacks.
>>
File: JeannieTighteningTutorial.jpg (3 MB, 1000x3475) Image search: [Google]
JeannieTighteningTutorial.jpg
3 MB, 1000x3475
>>9067134

Dart the wig.
>>
I'm cosplaying a character with a low, short ponytail. Is there anyway to do that with a normal wig?
>>
>>9067174
Yes it shouldn't be much different from doing a regular ponytail
but make sure you do it VERY NEATLY, and I can't stress that enough
>>
File: 56156487c9307.jpg (140 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
56156487c9307.jpg
140 KB, 940x529
Can anyone suggest a wig that would work OK right out of the box for the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl? Not looking for perfection here, just something passable. Her art varies a lot from panel to panel, so "short 'n fluffy" is basically what I'm looking for. My natural hair isn't very long or thick, so it doesn't have to be the highest quality. I was looking at Arda's Rocky and Jett, but they seem too short and too long respectively. I have zero experience buying short wigs.
>>
>>9067733
you know what, right after I made this comment I saw the "Derek" on Arda. Dunno how I missed it. That's the best I've seen so far, but if anyone can suggest a more appropriate one I'm all ears. sage'd for not adding anything worthwile
>>
Can I just use a regular razor for touchup instead of a hair razor?
>>
Is there any good REALISTIC platinum blonde lolita wig for lolita that doesn't tangle like hell and look yellow/obviously fake and is not too expensive?
>>
I am totally new to wigs and have absolutely no idea on how to take care of one. I have a midlenght straight blonde one and a long curly blonde (kinda yellow again) one
>>
File: 88Kotori.png (124 KB, 512x720) Image search: [Google]
88Kotori.png
124 KB, 512x720
Can anyone recommend a warm-toned Kotori wig? The one I have is very dull toned and makes me look sickly, I think a warmer one would fix that, but I don't want to compromise the quality of the wig for the look of it.
>>
I tried asking /fa/ and the men's hair and fashion subreddits this but they're useless on this topic. Google searches just turn up marketing junk, and it's a taboo subject. This is the only place that talks about hairpieces I can think of on 4chan. Sorry if it's off topic.

I was in a car accident a while back and it damaged my skull, mostly my forehead and the crown of my head. On top of that, I just lost my hair from balding, so I can't cover up the damage anymore. I don't like being reminded of the accident whenever I look in a mirror, since I lost someone, and the damage makes me look weird and I get self-conscious.

Nobody wears hats anymore, at least not in business dress, so I want to get a natural-looking wig that I can wear everyday that looks good, like a shortish masculine cut. I'm getting transferred to Japan soon so it can be a little longer than an American haircut I suppose. I'm naturally dirty blonde but I was thinking of going lighter blonde so I'd look more gaijin, which is an asset in my line of work.

What kind of wig should I get? What should I look for? Where are some good places to order from? Is there good info about how to care for a wig?
>>
Working on doing Bayonetta in October, I'm not sure how to do her wig
>>
>>9068257
Look for a hand-woven, natural hair wig. If you have skull damage that changed your head shape you can find silicone padding and tape to fill it out. A good quality one will cost you about $500-$1000 depending on length/quality, If it's completely hand woven that is a good price. Take care of it by washing it once a week or so with regular shampoo and conditioner meant for human hair.

I can't recommend any websites or suppliers. But try to find a local shop that can measure and custom make something to fit you. Especially if it's something you are going to wear every day. It will be more expensive than ordering online but it'll be worth it since they will help you maintain it and fit it. Know that the hairs will eventually break and fall out over time with regular use, so depending on how often you wash it and how hard you brush it you'll need to replace it in 2 years or so. Try to find a wig maker that will provide repair and maintenance service so you don't have to buy a whole new one.
>>
>>9068262
As someone who's made a Bayo wig, paint a styrofoam cone thing black. Buy black hair extensions/long wefts and wrap them around the styrofoam. Add some coming from the top and blend it in with the rest. And of course don't forget her ribbons and gold chains, wrap them around the styrofoam piece as well. Pin or glue to wig, whichever you'd prefer.
>>
>>9068279
Thank you!
>>
>>9068296
I've see. That tutorial where they cut a hole up the top of the wig? I'm not sure I trust myself to not fuck that up, is it difficult?
>>
How effective is silicone spray? I've been seeing videos saying it keeps wigs less tangled, but anyone have any experience before I go get some?
>>
>>9068315
I got the ace silicone spray and I recommend it! I was skeptical but it's great for detangling. Do it outside, the fumes are way strong. It doesn't leave the wig greasy, with residue or anything.
>>
File: Spike_Spiegel.jpg (60 KB, 587x496) Image search: [Google]
Spike_Spiegel.jpg
60 KB, 587x496
I hope cross-posting isn't looked down upon here, but the Help thread hasn't been too helpful so far. I have been planning to do a Spike cosplay for some time now, but I am having difficulty finding the right wig. Very few have quite enough volume. I realize I will have to add a bunch of wefts to whatever wig I get, but in the interest of adding the least amount of wefts possible, I am hoping to find a decent base wig to start with. Any suggestions?
>>
>>9068160
Am also new to wigs and looking for some good guides on wig care.

I'm interested in anything on keeping curls nice. (natural hair is straight so I gravitate towards curly wigs). Some guides say curls come back after washing but I read comments that say otherwise.

Also what are your guys preferred methods for temporarily lightening your eyebrows to match the hair color? My brows are dark/thick and I recently bought some blonde wigs. It looks off. I have a brow gel that works kind of but not to the extent I want.
>>
File: tumblr_mqsesc8qDL1syx0tso7_250.gif (651 KB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqsesc8qDL1syx0tso7_250.gif
651 KB, 245x150
Anyone have suggestions on how to make this wig?
>>
>>9068490
It'd work best if you could cornrow your hair and wear a fake ponytail.
>>
>>9068483
Don't brush it unless you really have to, try to detangle by gently running your hands through the fibers. If you have to brush, work on individual locks instead of the whole thing at once, and start from the bottom of the strands and work your way up instead of top-down. I like to clip already-brushed hair to the side in curls as I work on the rest of the wig.
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 1280x720
Any wig suggestions for Newt?
>>
I'm cosplaying pic related and this will be the first time I'll have to style a wig. Any tutorials and/or pointers about making such big ponytail?
Is it better to buy a wig with clip-in ponytail or just a really long wig and work from scratch?
>>
>>9069185
if this is your first time, a clip in would be easier
>>
I'm wanting to cosplay Mercy from overwatch, but I'm stumped on what colour wig to get. Do you think Arda's Ash blonde or titanium blonde would work better for her?
>>
I haven't bought a wig in years.
When I bought wigs I used to search for 'heat resistant kanekalon' as the high standard of quality. Is it now the same or there are new materials?
Stupid question, I know. But there are so many wig stores now that I'm confused.
>>
File: JosukeHigashikata4.jpg (190 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
JosukeHigashikata4.jpg
190 KB, 500x350
HOW to Josuke pompadour wig
>>
Where can I get a wig for Zoro?

I've never bought a wig before, so I'm not sure where to get it.
>>
>>9070066
I would go with the platinum, it's closer in almost all situation and gives more of a "blonde" look which is what people will remember about Mercy, in low light the ash blonde color can look really brown which i think would be bad. Though if you wanted something a little darker than that, have you considered the pale blonde arda color?
>>
I have a big head. Other than Arda, what places make wigs that have a large head circumference? I'm looking for more of fashion wigs than cosplay wigs
>>
>>9072186
Arda or Epic
>>
>>9074902
Epic cosplay and their sister shop pish posh wigs
>>
Are there any tips for making a curly wig not look.. frizzy? And a mess? Some little hairs get out of the curls and never find their home curl again so it looks messy.
>>
Are there any good videos on how to style/cut a wig? There is just a little too much hair in the bangs, so I need to cut it, but I would like to do it right.
>>
File: wig hairclips.jpg (79 KB, 565x320) Image search: [Google]
wig hairclips.jpg
79 KB, 565x320
Are the accessories that come attached to wigs removable or are they glued on?
>>
>>9075596
t-theyre... removable, anon. i have no clue how those would be glued into place anyway
>>
>>9075497
yeah search that on YouTube, there are plenty
>>
>>9071955
http://bar-code-cat.tumblr.com/post/53041684362/how-i-made-my-wig-for-josuke-pompadour-wig

Go forth and pomp, good sir/madam.
>>
I know there's probably no consistent answer, but does anyone have experience with how long it takes to get a backordered wig from Arda? Looking at Magnum classic in chocolate for Otakon in August.
>>
>>9080201
You're better off going with a different color/style. Just ordered a wig that ended up selling out and got an email saying it wouldn't be in until mid-August (which is when otakon is). Especially if you need to style it, go with something else and just buy that one when it comes back in stock for another con.
>>
>>9066929
Someone did something similar (ombre pink on a white wig) with a spray bottle. You just would have to saturate the wig - it also will be darker than your picture.

>>9068152
Like, a shaving razor? If you're just using a blade, be careful!!

>>9068257
I believe there are services doing semi-permanent wigs that you can style, shower, and live in. They do it for cancer patients.

>>9075497
Arda has an entire youtube channel dedicated to tutorials.
>>
>>9074894
did they change the name of the platinum blonde colour to fairy blonde? I'm not seeing it listed as an option
>>
Any tips on cutting/styling bangs like this?
>>
I've bought two dark brown wigs for a cosplay I'm working on but I'm not sure which one to use.

Wig A is very thick, not shiny at all, and looks great in pictures but the shade is a bit too red to my liking.
Wig B has the exact color I'm looking for but the quality is more so-so than great. There's just enough hair to style it the way I want but it's not perfect.

Which do you think is more important in a wig: the color being just right or the quality of the fiber?
>>
More interested for Lolita than cosplay but has anyone noticed how Lockshop's new wigs look like complete shit since they changed manufacturers? Shiny as fuck and I am so disappoint
>>
>>9082004
In my opinion quality is more important. What good is the color being right if it looks bad anyway?
I think the pros outweigh the cons too.
I say go for wig A, and maybe edit the color in photos? I feel like slightly off wig colors is an understandable problem in cosplay. It's so hard to tell depending on how your computer shows the color.
>>
>>9067134
FiveWits has a nice one.
>>
>>9067764
Derek will hold fluffing even without product. I rushed a costume and didn't even trim the bangs. Just swooped them to the side, and they held. I think it's an OK future for this.
>>
>>9080303
Alright, thanks anon. Not too brokenhearted because I found one on Epic Cosplay that should work about as well and has free shipping.
>>
If I cut some of the hair on the wig, can I reuse it to give my spikes extra thickness?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.