[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about face paint/makeup. What type is the best? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 600x900
Tell me about face paint/makeup. What type is the best? I don't like the one which dries up and begins cracking. Is it safe to have on your face for 10-12 hours? Will I completely break out for the following week?

Dos and don'ts?
>>
File: guide.jpg (190 KB, 816x896) Image search: [Google]
guide.jpg
190 KB, 816x896
>>9057449
The clown knows.
The clown knows all.
Heed his words.
Pic related.
>>
>>9057589
Actually this is bullshit, if you don't powder your greasepaint you'll rub off on everything no matter how good your sealing spray is.
The aplication method is solid, but I have to assume he just. Forgot about the powder because nobody even BARELY a professional in their right fucking mind would neglect that.
>>
>>9057603
I've used Gropey's methods, and he's IRL a professional clown from a circus family. Liberal use of a high end sealing and barrier spray did better for me than years of powders.
>>
>>9057672
I'll believe that when I see it. I know his background, but I have literally never met anyone who got the method to work. Meanwhile, powder (even without sealing spray) seems to be doing a perfectly good job 90% of the time.

His method may work for some, but powder will always be better to recommend to those new to body paint.
It is also cheaper to buy translucent, or even baby powder, and seeing as how people tend to cheap out it's a better rec from that standpoint too. I mean hell, just look at the amount of people willingly covering their face with hairspray |:
>>
File: 2135413455.jpg (38 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
2135413455.jpg
38 KB, 520x520
>>9057603
>>9057685
Mehron Barrier/Sealant Combo is specifically meant to replace powders though. Thats what its designed and marketed for.

The downside is that it is a bit pricier than regular barrier spray.

DON'T QUESTION MY HUSBANDO. HE IS A PURE BEING OF LOVE AND HONKING.
>>
>>9057685
Sounds like you're not using the right spray or enough of it.

Just warning you anon, Gropalope's advice track record is flawless, and seagulls will readily tear you apart for saying anything negative about him.
>>
I use ben nye's cream colors for single color face paint and kroylan aquacolor for bodypaint. The cream color is a lot smoother and has a consistency more similar to foundation, so it's much better for the face and wont dry/crack. Ben nye also makes a good sealing spray
>>
I hate the way grease paint feels...will water activated paint last me an 8 hour convention or should I just tough it out with grease paint?
>>
I mean, I'm pretty partial to Mehron creamblend sticks combined with Ben Nye sealant and baby powder for good measure.
>>
Water activated paints are my go to, either Wolfe or Kryolan, activated with Ben Nye Liquiset instead of water. Spray yourself down with Mehron Barrier Spray before and after and it will be water resistant (and therefore sweat resistant). Water activated paints by themselves will sweat off too easily to make them viable, but the setting you get from the Liquiset and the barrier spray really go a long way to mitigate that. Also if you're just doing your face or a small area, Mehron's Skin Prep aka what used to be called "No Sweat" (hence not using it over huge areas, sweating is kind of important) is a pre makeup toner that I've had success with getting my makeup to last longer at cons.
The main reason I prefer aqua colors to grease pain is a texture issue. Grease paint is brilliant at what it's intended for, providing thick, opaque coverage. But it's just that: thick. And you can tell looking at skin that it's sitting on. Also, with aqua colors it's much, much easier to get crisp detail that doesn't feather at the edges the way details drawn on with Creme pencils do. Think traditional lipstick vs. liquid to matte.
Also ps to anon saying Mehron Barrier spray is more expensive than most setting sprays, have you checked the prices of fucking Ben Nyefinal seal lately? Jeezus. Haven't done the math but I'm willing to bet it's more per ounce than Dom Peringnon
>>
What do you guys do with hands/fingers. I can't wear gloves because my character is wearing a tanktop (and I hate gloves).
>>
>>9058736
Pax, down the back of my hands. I leav fingers and palms unpainted; it's just not worth the hassle.
>>
>>9058736
I use armsocks which are essentially custom gloves made out of tights. For one of my cosplays (that has a strapless design), we modified a leotard pattern so that the armsocks are actually sewed into the spandex. Basically it's a sleeved leotard that ends in gloves instead of just at my wrists. I haven't used Pax yet myself, but I know it can be a viable option.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.