[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
face character costumes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_o7zhmkZz0p1uty0vno1_540.png (693 KB, 540x613) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7zhmkZz0p1uty0vno1_540.png
693 KB, 540x613
Let's talk about Disney face character costumes. Thoughts on Mulan's new costume? I think so far it's only implemented at Walt Disney World.
>>
>>9056965

>that complete change in eras from the slightly more accurately dated Wei era to the sluttier Tang dynasty

My sides.
>>
I wouldn't have even recognized the new one as Mulan, to be honest.
>>
The old one was so much better. Liking the new hair, though.
Also, Jack Skellington always looks exceptional in person.
>>
I agree, at least the old one was actually recognizable as Mulan. The new hair is better though.
>>
I still don't get why she never seems to be wearing her final scene outfit in the parks, that always seemed to be the one she felt the most comfortable in.

Or the armour, honestly. That'd be cool.

But I guess we gotta keep indoctrinating little girls to bond to pink and flashy make up.
>>
File: MAP7596026.jpg (555 KB, 900x1352) Image search: [Google]
MAP7596026.jpg
555 KB, 900x1352
>>9056965
man i went once to epcot and she was in her armor, it was the best.

just got back from orlando 2 days ago, mary poppins was the best dressed, but every princess and makeup wearing actor was sweating so hard they were kinda runny. still awesome though.
>>
>>9056974

What are you talking about? The new outfit is still accurate to the Wei and Jin dynasties. The Tang dynasty looks completely different.
>>
To anyone saying you can't recognize Mulan.. You are IN Disneyland or Disney World. They don't just let anyone walk in there and dress up. Seriously? Its obviously Mulan no matter how you look at it. Even the outfits on promotional items have changed to reflect the new design.
>>
>>9057178
Yes, seriously. The old design looks like what was actually in the movie; the new design looks like a poor marketing decision.
>>
File: 26795312124_dbf20246ef_z.jpg (253 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
26795312124_dbf20246ef_z.jpg
253 KB, 427x640
The new Pocahontas costume is infuriating.

>no mother's blue necklace aka a significant part of her character's story
>those shoes

though I can give the shoes a pass for practical reasons
>>
>>9057217
If it were accurate she would be topless... Just saying.
>>
>>9057229
That is brand new information!
>>
File: float.jpg (284 KB, 800x871) Image search: [Google]
float.jpg
284 KB, 800x871
>>9057140
>Also, Jack Skellington always looks exceptional in person.

Imo the mask is terrible. I know there isn't a way to make it better and keep him a face character, but damn. The way it meets the actor's face is very notorious.

Personally, I'm a fan of the festival of fantasy designs as a whole. Disney should go back to including the princes with the princesses meet & greets - I'm pretty sure they'd do great, considering how popular Gaston is.
>>
>>9057248
I am stunned Gaston is still out, with the crazy amount of people that openly flirt with him.
>>
>>9057252

Yeah, and depending on the actor, he makes some pretty outrageous comments too.

Then again, last MNSSHP Sally asked me whether I collected human hearts, so I'm not sure of how much characters are allowed to get away with nowadays.
>>
>>9057261
And since everyone records their face character interactions nowadays and some even go viral, it's even more surprising that Disney hasn't taken Gaston away.

I can still remember when the trend of obsessing over specific face characters started (maybe ironically, since it was a park emploee that encouraged it, then later got mad because people that weren't employees started doing it)
>>
>>9057217
the blue necklace is pretty integral. weird that they would neglect that. she looks like a background character now
>>
>>9057217
she should also be 14.

though I can give the age a pass for practical reasons
>>
>>9057147
Yeah, it's ironic that she's wearing the outfit in which she was the least "herself" in. Her armour seems fittingly flashy enough and is way cooler.
>>
>>9056965
I like the old one better. It's closer to the movie design and it feels more accurate to me (as someone with no knowledge of Chinese historical clothing). The new one looks like they tried to princessify it with a fuller skirt and brocades.
>>
>>9057273
Are you talking about that 1 Peter Pan from some years ago?
Cause i know he kept getting trouble because people kept trying to find out his name.
>>
>>9057273

I think that if disney had such a problem with the M&G, he would have been removed by now (or moved to MNSSHP) because his line has been like that since day one. Iirc, they even added him to Tokyo Disney rather recently.
>>
>>9057308
There was a rumour getting around that he was getting fired 'cause he was in so much social media, but if I remember correct part of the issue was that he was also getting old.
>>
>>9057248
>Imo the mask is terrible. I know there isn't a way to make it better and keep him a face character, but damn. The way it meets the actor's face is very notorious.

Yikes, you're right. Seems like they should be able to round out the bottom of the mask so it's less triangular and more round like Jack's head? The shape just looks creepy.
>>
>>9057278
Fucking this. Saw Mulan in Epcot with a line of little girls and she was giving her princess speech. As badass as Mulan is her warrior image doesn't sell.
>>
>>9057319
I can't remember if he did get fired or left on his own. But I do know people kept up with him even after he left.
There were pictures of his wedding with the girl who used to be Wendy/Alice.
>>
Spieling Pan is the name if people are interested in researching. Andrew Ducote.

Also the new Pocahontas necklace makes me think more Hawaiian/Moana for some reason now.
>>
>>9057319
It's not really getting fired if your contract runs out and they don't want to renew
>>
>>9057380
Yeah, I probably wasn't clear about it but the point was that he wasn't getting fired because Tumblr were all over him. He just didn't stay, and even if that might've weighed in he was also getting old and probably other reasons.
>>
>>9056965
I don't mind the new design, though I would've liked it more if they went for the green colorway instead
>>
>>9057308
It started with a particular Mad Hatter, Alice, Peter and Wendy, yeah.

>>9057319
Yep, just a rumor! His contract wasn't renewed because his age started to show too much (in his last pictures you can really see the crow's feet). He worked (still works?) for a knock off character company along with the other former face character actor he married after that.
>>
>>9057472
Also holy crap I googled him. He looks so different. And has a baby!
>>
>>9056974
>sluttier
>>
I miss Disney World so much. I prefer old Mulan's dress but I don't mind new Pocahontas' but that necklace needs to go.
>>
>>9057472
Pictures? I'd like to see which Pan you're specifically talking about.
>>
>>9058030
Most likely the one Bri constantly filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcQWl7F1Qdk
>>
>>9057453
Thisssss, like this is the design. It's the design Hasboro is using. It reflects more on the I'm not here to be married off. It also yellow, which none of the other princess have. I just don't understand why they like the match maker dress so much. Blah.
>>
>>9058694
>It also yellow, which none of the other princess have.

*cough* Belle *cough*
>>
>>9058694
>Thissssssssssss
>Blah

pls don't.
>>
>>9058726
relax chickenhead
>>
File: FB_IMG_1466203872133.jpg (72 KB, 867x867) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466203872133.jpg
72 KB, 867x867
>>9058722
Meh, I think of Belle as good, but to be fair they have made her more and more light yellow these past couple redesigns.

>>9058726
Odds are I've been on /cgl longer than you've been cosplaying, I'll do as I please.

On a side note, I love the winter designs they have for the princesses during MVMCP parade. Especially Snow White and Belle.

Other side note what does everyone think of the Mickey and Minnie for Royal Friendship Faire? Kinda digging the flower crown on Minnie
>>
>>9059164
I think they look really cute.

I haven't been to Disneyland in years. Can anyone tell me if they ever implemented the Mickey heads that could blink & had a few prerecorded phrases? Think I saw these around 2012 on YouTube.
>>
>>9059180
At WDW blinking heads are only in the stage shows except for Mickey at MK where he blinks and talks. At TDL meet and greets often have blinking eyes but no phrases.
>>
>>9057147
>>9057278
I absolutely never understood that, considering how Mulan spends like 80% of the film in the armour and most of the remainder in the green. Especially when the pink is meant to be ~~not who she truly is~~ and all that. Ironic considering the message of the film.
>>
>>9060228
I asked Mulan about it and she said her mother wouldn't let her come out and meet everyone without getting all dressed up.
>>
>>9056965
neither are accurate to traditional hanfu. Also the girl in the second picture looks white or is it just me? /Chinese here
>>
>>9059180
We took our crotchfruit to WDW in January. The Mickey we met talked to him and it was actually really cute. Kiddo loved it.
>>
>>9060489
Some of the shit Disney comes up with never fails to amaze me.
This and the "ANDY'S COMING" thing they used to do.
>>
>>9060694
The girl in the second picture definitely doesn't look Asian. /also Chinese
>>
>>9060758
She looks asian to me /third chinese
>>
>>9060712
the andy's coming thing was never real, it was just a fake viral story
>>
>>9060694
>>9060758
>>9060764
My first thought was that the first woman didn't look Asian. The second one fits better imo, but I think a more "stereotypical" and round-faced Asian would be better.
>>
>>9060758
>>9060764
>>9061904
A friend of mine worked DW as a character for a while (not a face one though) and she said that depending on location, at times Disney has issues casting girls to play certain princesses and will settle for one that fits all the other criteria (personality, improv, cuteness) but might not be quite the right ethnicity. I know there's a few girls that play any mix of the charaters that fall between white and black (Mulan, Pocahontas, Jasmine, some Star Wars characters, theres like two or three fairies too I think).
>>
>>9060694
>>9060758
>>9060764
They're both clearly Asian. The first is probably un-surgeried SKorean and the second looks Thai.

>Not every Asian person is Chinese-American.
>>
>>9062082
That's pretty interesting. Although I doubt they'd get a non-black girl to play Tiana. Well maybe they would if she was a darker skinned Indian or Hispanic girl.
>>
>>9062082

Can confirm, had several friends whose souls were commandeered for Disney. You'd be shocked at how many girls apply to be Princesses, and how Disney will hire girls who can blend into multiple roles despite having enough girls to choose from that they could have a new one every day and never run out.

It makes sense from a business perspective though, it's much easier to staff and run things when you have flexibility.
>>
>>9057217
Shoes were probably for "safety" reasons. Disney is super picky about their employees footwear and while not cute the shoes seem sturdy and probably non slip. I'm really confused the necklace and so are my fellow cast members.
>>
>>9057229
>>9057277
>post complains about face character not having item from the movie
>"durr if she were like the REAL Pocahontas she'd have THIS, too"
Are you both playing at stupid or are you actually stupid?
>>
>>9057248
They do couple meet and greets at the Christmass parties for some of the princesses. You can meet Snow White and the snow Prince, Aurora and Philip, rapunzel and flynn, cindy and prince charming and tiana and naveen together for sure
>>
>>9057337
He left on is own although he was encouraged to resigned.because he was aging and no longer fit the character image. He didn't part on bad terms with the company though.
>>
>>9063692
They probably never watched the movie, or forgot about it.
>>
>>9057248
Former cast member here. The reason that the princes don't meet regularly is because they were hopelessly abused by people flirting with/groping them. Adults were making them super uncomfortable and acting very inappropriate (this was especially the case with Flynn, whose friends have told me some crazy horror stories). That's why they only come out for special ticketed events like the Christmas party. A few Valentine's Days ago I guess word got out that the princes were going to be meeting with their "sweethearts". Naturally, MK was flooded with people foaming at the mouth to meet them, so the decision was made to move them all to less crowded EPCOT for their safety. It was a bummer for all of the guests that were wanting to meet with them, but for the sake of those involved with that show, I think it was a smart move (especially considering some of the comments I overheard from MK guests talking about what they'd love to do to these poor fictional characters).
>>
>>9060758
girl in the secon d picture looks like a Latina to me, maybe like a Philipina, but totally not Chinese
>>
>>9057320
Totally agree, don't understand why they didn't make the mask round and have only the a small porting for the mouth open, kinda like a Batman mask. Would look way better in my opinion.
>>
>>9057277
pocahontas isn't 14 in the film.

>>9057229
pocahontas isn't topless in the film.
>>
>>9060694

haha no she looks like leah dizon
>>
>>9063836
that's really unfortunate for all parties but by george does that sound hilarious.
>>
>>9063836

Is it really that bad in comparison to what the princesses put up with?
>>
>>9056965

The new Mulan looks really cute.
>>
>>9064535
>to what the princesses put up with
You really have no clue, do you?
>>
>>9065078
Deets senpai
>>
>>9063836
Wow that's lame. Why are people so damn immature? They ruin fun things for everyone else. Sucks for kids who want to meet their favorite characters but can't because retarded adults can't keep it in their pants.
>>
>>9065132
This honestly. The amount of adults that hit on princesses and face characters, try to grope fur characters to see what gender they are underneath their costumes, loudly and openly make remarks that ruin the magic like "BOY I BET IT'S HOT IN THAT SUIT HUR HUR HUR", etc is astonishing. Like, I'm sure they're so super proud they know it's a person in a costume but shut the fuck up and let kids enjoy themselves. Also no, Princess Jasmine is not going to give you her number so fuck off with that you're just creating uncomfortable situations for the cast members.
>>
File: 0023248155c618cc58462e.jpg (84 KB, 900x794) Image search: [Google]
0023248155c618cc58462e.jpg
84 KB, 900x794
>>9063644
>Not every Asian person is Chinese-American

Yes, but Mulan is specifically /CHINESE/

Also people in China are complaining about the ugly face characters at Shanghai Disneyland.
>>
>>9057472
It was all Brianna's posts right? I think her videos combined with her massive art fanbase/shipping fanbase caused things to get out of control. Especially when she started inserting the face characters into the fanart instead of the characters themselves.
>>
>>9065143
The face character thing in other countries always confused me. Do they have to be native in the language of the host country? Because I always read about American face characters being shipped to France/Japan and I didn't understand how that worked with Japanese or French kids coming up to them speaking in their language.
>>
>>9065154

Anon, I don't think you understand just how many people audition for these roles. They can easily find girls who speak at least 3 languages, and frequently do.
>>
>>9065151
I think it's fair to say that she certainly attributed to the problem, yes. To be honest I liked her videos starting out because they seemed like light hearted and fun character interactions, but they started to get so massively popular and she started making so much fan art of those particular face characters instead of the regular characters, as you said, going so far as to give them all special names to distinguish /her specific/ Hatter and Pan from others. It got to be too much and people who followed her started going to the park with gifts and art and comments for the cast members and wanted to spend all day playing games with them and interacting.
>>
>>9065173
Yeah and one thing I always felt a little uncomfortable about in her videos (as their popularity grew) is that they were surrounded by older girls and not children. I know the face characters aren't exclusively for children but like, it's just really awkward to have adults shoving forward to see their internet obsession irl.

Did she end up becoming a face character/is she dating the Hatter? I just poked onto her youtube and it looks like she's Alice in the actual parks now, so I'm assuming she got what she always wanted. It's a bit weird that she has people record her as Alice though.
>>
>>9065177
she's not a very good Alice. very Traci hines-ish
>>
>>9065154
I went to Hong Kong Disneyland and the face characters I met only spoke English (except for Mulan I think). In Asia there's less of the talking and playing with them, people are mostly just after photos and kids get by with just body language. Their handlers also spoke English/Cantonese/Mandarin so they translated when necessary.

About the casting part, there are a lot of expats in HK and SH so I'm pretty sure they source them locally. With China's strict labour laws about employing and importing a foreigner it's unlikely they would go through the whole process for what is essentially a minimum wage performer job. Then again there's also the Disney college programs, so maybe they can skirt around it by classifying them as interns or something.
>>
>>9065177
No she was never a face character. She was an artist that used to work them. Her Alice was for special events like Halloween where adults can wear costumes. My friend used to make graphic designs for all the different hatters and Alice so I know somethings about it.
>>
>>9065154
Not sure how it works either, but they definitely hire people who don't speak the native language. A guy I went to high school with now works as a face character at Tokyo Disneyland and didn't speak a lick of Japanese when he started.
>>
>>9063836
Wow. Any blogs where I can read from cast members about this, or would Disney have strict guidelines against posting this stuff? On one hand I'm not really surprised that it's adults who shit things up for everyone else at a children's theme park.
>>
>>9065911
You don't have to speak the native language. You can speak either in English or in the native language to guests, but you can't switch between them to avoid confusion.
>>
>>9071567
Cracked has some articles, but they're pretty old and I'm not sure how accurate they are.
>>
>>9071567
I watched all 3 parts of this series. Its really fun to listen to in the background as if it were a podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX8Fkvy3r5U
>>
>>9071567
Here's one guy's account; he seems like a bit of a douche though.
http://www.lamag.com/longform/pirates-booty1/
>>
>>9059164
You can do as you please, and others can do as they please (like when they say they don't care for a mannerism)
>>
>>9065143
Something about this photo is really offputting to me. I can't tell if it's the face she's making or just the proportions of the dress in contrast to the thinness of her arms/neck, but this is a really strange picture.
>>
>>9072502
I think it's the width of the upper part of her face compared to that teeny tiny pointy chin. Bad v-line surgery maybe?
>>
>>9071690
I tried to watch those and I found both girls to be really insufferable and hard to listen to.
>>
>>9065154
>>9065168
Here at DLP some girls (mostly the dutch) speak 4 languages. It's kinda necesary since guests come from all over europe.
>>
>>9071711
>he seems like a bit of a douche though.
He does, especially with the whole "I dress as Jack for Ren faires. I have a Jack Sparrow MySpace. I AM JACK SPARROW. Ugh wait, you mean there are RULES?!" And his thing about liking the Ariel actresses because they have red hair and he has a thing for red hair...But they're all wearing wigs so what would that matter? I don't know that bit sounded creepy and didn't make sense to me. In the end of it all he just sounded whiny and overly obsessed with wanting recognition as Jack what with the MySpace, continually going out in his own costume, etc.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.