[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosplay community
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (235 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
235 KB, 582x600
What are your opinions on the current state of the cosplay community? How has it changed since you started cosplaying?
I am personally curious about the Patreon trend. Everyone has a patreon and everyone sells "sexy photo sets". I'm interested to see where it goes. You can only take so many photos in lingerie before your fanboys get bored. What are your predictions for the future?
>>
Do we not complain on cgl anymore?
>>
So my friend started dating a cosplayer that's...I guess out of my local community but was close friends with a big cosplayer in my area. I was a little happy about it bc I was like 'cool, new friend to do stuff with!'
But me and my friends are pretty chill about cosplay. I have a lot more income than them so I can afford to buy nice cosplays or throw a bunch of money at a cosplay when I make it.but my friends buy cheaper cosplays more than they make anything.
This new girl...is a judge mental elitist who likes to make fun of my other friends personal life and then rub it in her face and gets offended when my friend gets upset. When she asked where I got a cosplay and I told her taobao she made a nasty face at me and turned away.
She tells her bf that she really likes the rest of us and wants to be friends with us so he tries really hard to help us all be friends, but she's just kinda a cunt.
I'm seeing this shit more and more and it's annoying. I also thought she'd be a great cosplayer bc of who she used to be friends with (they had a huge falling out), but she's really not and she will only be in cosplay for a max of 2 hours before changing and whining about it.

I feel like my local community really just fucking sucks as people. They're all judgmental elitists without the ability to back up that attitude and I'm sick of their bullshit drama.
>>
>>9033066

yes but mod deleted the threads

plenty of patreon threads get deleted
>>
People are way more serious about cosplay than they used to be. It's basically throw all your money and time at it or go home, which is a mentality that makes it hard to be a part of the community if you have other obligations.

The community here is also pretty childish. No one has a real job and many cosplayers, even the older ones, still live at home and do nothing aside from cosplay. It feels so strange, especially when I compare my cosplay friends to my normie friends who all at least have some kind of future plans and ambitions.
>>
>>9033131
>>9033131
Damn, I definitely have the "go big or go home" mentality, but I'm trying to snap out of it by choosing simpler costume for my next projects. It doesn't help that I look up to some really talented cosplayers and want to equal them...
>>
>>9033159
It's one thing to try hard and to strive to be good but many of these people put everything they have into it in a pretty damn unhealthy way. Eg. I know a girl who had to skip out on her best friend's birthday party because she had spent all of her money on lacefront wigs and couldn't afford the bus fare...
>>
>>9033176
Okay, now that's some next-level stuff. I don't think a hobby becoming that consuming is very healthy...
>>
>>9033131

Basically for some it's almost become a job rather than a hobby. Which is kind of sad in some respects.

Patreon isn't an alarming trend. Sure Jnigs may make over $250,000 a year from it, but the majority of cosplayers striving to have one will most likely not make diddly dick. You can only have so many people willing to donate to you for make-up or costume tutorials (which are dime a dozen), and even if you go the "bikini shoot" route you need an established fanbase already there.

The hobby itself is growing, but its image continues to suffer
>>
I mean, like every community that centers around something, that, at the end of the day, doesnt matter (in context of the grand scheme of things) there is going to be a large portion of members who take it far too seriously because they have not found literally any other purpose in their lives.

This is not an insult. Just an observation. I should also add, that this phenomenon is not unique to cosplay.
>>
you guys are just so fucking mean for no reason
it hurts
>>
>>9033131
I was at a con the other weekend after just making my first cosplay, and this is definitely the mentality I saw. I can't see so I tried to be as accurate as possible everywhere else, but goddamn people are snobby about cosplays
>>
File: 1362964450789.jpg (42 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
1362964450789.jpg
42 KB, 640x432
It used to be fun, it gained popularity and people make money off it now. Now there's normies who are judgmental of people who are have to have a good time and not to get money or twitter/ig followers.
There's still good cosplays who aren't shills too but that number is going down.
>>
File: 1459901070906.jpg (8 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1459901070906.jpg
8 KB, 184x184
If the thing that made you want to start cosplaying was the lure of internet fame then you should off yourself.
>>
>>9034047
This
>>
>>9033544
>guys
>spiteful
>>
>>9033780

Whoa, are you a blind cosplayer?

That's p nuts. Props to you.
>>
>>9033544
If you're the girl who got called fat in the menhera thread, I'm really sorry about that. They were really unnecessarily mean. It's summer, and I guess everyone is especially catty.
>>
File: bored ringo.jpg (14 KB, 125x126) Image search: [Google]
bored ringo.jpg
14 KB, 125x126
No one can just casually enjoy things anymore.

With cosplay, people have to go with super detailed costumes where everything was made by hand. They bring several costumes to one con and all of them have a ridiculous amount of pieces; and they always make new costumes for each con instead of rewearing some of them. Even on the last day of con, they have to be in cosplay, often a complicated one, and then they're uncomfortable on the way home. They don't take time to just enjoy the convention. They take one scurried lap through the AA and dealer's hall and spend the rest of their time rushing to competitions, chess and contests.

It's even worse with fandoms. People go completely balls to the wall with their fandoms, buying a shit ton of merch and exhausting their love for the series before it's past its prime. People psychotically defend their fandoms like they're a religion or something. They make blogs to defend or attack pairings they don't like. And you have the constant fighting between pretentious hipsters who say that all new versions are heresy, and people who defend remakes like they are flawless masterpieces.

So many people on my facebook have fallen out with each other over the Force Awakens alone! Just a movie can tear apart friends nowadays. I wish people could just like something without obsessing over it.
>>
>>9033131
I've noticed that too (the part about not being ambitious and having real jobs). I admit I am like that too, but I'm sick of it and have decided to apply to grad school so i can get a decent full-time job, a car and an apartment. I'll be able to afford more cons and cosplays that way (and also not feel like a failure at life anymore)
>>
I've noticed that I'm waaaay more critical than I was when I first started cosplaying. Now, everything feels like a competition for me. I have fun but I still worry about looking worse than someone else or getting photos taken.

It hasn't consumed my life, I still focus on school/work/my art, but it's definitely impacted me. Yeah, I feel better about myself but then I also have these awful feelings of self-loathing if I didn't get enough photos at a con or if I'm not getting likes on Instagram or some shit
>>
>>9034615
>self posts
>fat
>expects not to get called fat

kek

she was fat as fuck
>>
>>9038247
i feel the same way.

Im not as passionate about cosplay as I have been in the past. I mean i barely even watch anime anymore. But when I do cosplay Im always pitting myself against other people dressing as the same character, and secretly enjoy it when im better than them. I also get sad about not getting very many photos taken. It makes me doubt all the time and energy i put into the costume. feels bad man.
>>
>>9037805
This cuts deep ;_;
>>
>>9037805
Your post typifies why the jojo fandom is absolute fucking cancer
>>
>>9037805
This.

If there's one inaccuracy in the entire film people lose their shit. And they have to hate it completely from then on. They can't just hate that aspect of the movie and like everything else. Nope. Just hate it in its entirety.
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 852x854
>>9033544

Really? I swear all them cons ive been to in nj have had nothing but nice con goers.
>>
I don't like where it's at. Way back in the way back, there weren't a lot of cosplayers, and a lot of the costumes were terrible, but you could see they put every last ounce of try into it.

The hobby seems a lot less fun now. People aren't doing it for fun and people aren't having fun doing it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.