[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artist Alley Thread: All the cons! Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
Old thread is auto-saging >>8999205

>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l-9tZn_PaqsZWkb5SB_aqwh7uvURyoLgdsQiuz_Ty08/edit#gid=0
>Taobao/Alibaba services
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing

Thread may be slow due to summer cons starting up. Share what you're working on if you dare.
>>
i know this has probablt been asked before many times but how long does it usually take for Vograce to produce the samples and finished charms? i'm currently waiting on mine (just confirmed the outlines few days ago) and i'm just being impatient (and also bit worried since i need them for the second weekend of June, i got the fastest shipping and all but still kinda worried haha).
>>
>>9022652
average for the US seems to be about a month from sending off files to the package arriving, give or take a week.

Not sure about here in Canada and other countries but I'd assume the same
>>
>>9022652
The largest order I've made so far has been for 175 charms, but every time it's been under three weeks from initial email to receive the package of charms.
>>
>>9022664
>>9022668
thanks, maybe if i'm lucky they arrive in time, i assume.
>>
>>9022652

I got mine in 2 weeks. Ordered first of May and got them last week. Also paid for the expedited shipping.
>>
File: weo.png (101 KB, 357x328) Image search: [Google]
weo.png
101 KB, 357x328
Does anyone else get really nervous before con season? I've been doing this for I think 3 years now and this year its been giving me panic attacks to think about. Please tell me I'm not the only one like this
>>
>>9022772
hell yeah, me too. about two week before the con I go into mad anxiety mode, convinced something is going to go terrible wrong, I have too little stock and won't make it through the weekend, i have too much stock and will take a loss, etc etc. And then I get to the con and within an hour i'm totally relaxed.
>>
>>9022772
>>9022796
mine's mostly bad dreams about forgetting my change, my stock entirely, or showing up to the con on the wrong date.

You're definitely not the only one. I've been doing this for 10 years now and it's because no con is identical in how it plays out.
>>
>>9022813

Speaking of forgetting change... I did that on a one day con on a saturday, so the bank wasn't open. At 12 am before the con, I was running around with cash going to anywhere open (for me 7-11, Tim Hortons, McDonalds) and buying something small and convincing them to break my cash into change lmao
>>
>>9022772
I've got a week before my con. Literally, I will be there in 7 days and going to bed and setting up in the early afternoon.

I sold out of most of my stock the last con. I had a really bad bout of medically-induced depression/anxiety and couldn't work on my stuff until I realized the medication I was taking was causing it, I got it changed and a month out I started working on things again.

I'm panicing because it's my biggest show of the year.
>>
File: 3699124416_3620b2ddce_z.jpg (132 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
3699124416_3620b2ddce_z.jpg
132 KB, 500x445
Do any of you anons have tips on setups for selling clothing and accessories? Accessories are obviously a lot easier, but I'm a bit stumped on how to display my garments nicely without the risk of somebody grabbing them with muck on their hands, or thinking they can try them on, or worst case scenario, some thief getting ambitious.
I've been looking at brand booths for inspiration and I do like what AP did with their setup here, but I'm worried the dresses are a bit hard to see like this. AP can rely on their clothes being well-known and everybody already having a general idea of what they're buying, so that isn't as much of a worry for them.
>>
>>9022949
I know a girl that prints and sells skirts and shirts. She just has a wire frame over her booth and hooks the hangers on it.
I don't think stains are a huge issue, but maybe you can put a clear plastic bag over it? Sort of like garment bags.
But some people want to feel the fabric. Maybe you can a hole in the bag.

Just ideas.
>>
>>9022772
I have pretty good planning so I don't worry about that, but I H A T E interacting with so many people (I am a very nonsocial person) and that's what winds me up before a con. 90% of my interactions are weird and awkward and people are constantly surprising me with weird shit, I get so jacked up I can barely maintain a regular conversation when someone normal actually tries to talk to me. All I wanna do by the end is lock myself in my shower for a week just so I don't have to interact with any other living thing.
>>
File: STGCC-10.jpg (83 KB, 720x477) Image search: [Google]
STGCC-10.jpg
83 KB, 720x477
>>9022949
I've seen some booths that bring a back board where they hang their merch, so it's actually behind them behind the table. It's a little tough though in cons with tight spaces where you're ass to ass with your neighbor. You could consider a half table sized board?

Pic sort of related, it's a printed board, but you get the layout ha
>>
>>9022949
In my experience, I just have one that's specifically let out for people to touch. I make some printed skirts and dresses so I put out one skirt and dress for people to look at, touch, etc. And then keep the other ones neatly folded on my table so they can see I have many sizes and different prints but since my style is just skater skirts/skater dresses the designs aren't too different. I usually hang them right above my table to prevent thieves from snatching them or place the dress itself on a torso bodyform.

That way I'm not too worried about losing merch or getting muck since I only have a few garments that I know I will have to wash post-con, don't feel bad about using tide pens on, or other alterations if it rips or something since it's all for show only.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (38 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
38 KB, 450x450
Anyone planning fun little games or prize type of thing for their table? I've seen people have bubble gum dispensers, mini vending machines, crane games, prize wheels, japanese lottery wheels, grab bags, the list goes on.

I've always wanted to try a prize wheel at my table but I'm afraid it'll just take up space without anyone wanting to try it out (maybe it could be a sunday-only event). I've also wanted to try a lottery ticket where the customer can scratch off a ticket (for a price) then get a prize depending on the color underneath. It would be handmade, so, again, afraid of doing all that work just for it to be a flop. Honestly though it's just for fun. If anything, grab bags are super easy in comparison and seem to be popular/fun for most people.

Any experiences you guys want to share?
>>
>>9023197
>I've also wanted to try a lottery ticket where the customer can scratch off a ticket (for a price) then get a prize depending on the color underneath.

keep in mind some cons consider this gambling and they don't allow that at tables

My friend has a mini vending machine to sell keychains but he says it's more trouble transporting it to the con than it's worth. But other people might feel differently
>>
>>9022902
>banks not open on a saturday

you poor person.
>>
>>9022772
I don't usually feel to nervous when I'm awake but I tend to get really bad stress dreams.

In my last one: I forgot about the con altogether until the day I was supposed to leave, rushed to the airport only to be told the plane I was supposed to take had crashed, and that my ticket was nonrefundable. But then the airline was like "Oh but we have this other plane you could take, but you'd have to fly it yourself!" Dream!me sort of lfipped out at that and said "Forget it, I'm driving" but then when I finally got there I forgot what I was supposed to do with my car? So I just drove it right into the convention center and one of the staff was like "Miss you can't do that you have to back out."
Anyhow.
>>
>>9023209
Acen didn't allow grab bags but I saw a couple of vendors selling lucky bags. I thought it was weird.
>>
>>9023197
Bringing my prize wheel to Fanime this weekend for the first time, so we'll see how it goes! (Got a bit bent in transport though rip)

But yeah, in line with what everyone else said, I had to get approval from the con, do legal research, add fine print, and phrase everything a certain way so that I'm allowed to put it up. And a good handful of cons Ive contacted have said no regardless.
>>
>tfw someone bought a piece i made that i really love
>tfw they are messaging me every day about it
>tfw it's getting kind of weird

anyone have any stories of... odd and boundary-less customers?
>>
>>9023373
Did they really? There were so many lucky bags this year, it seemed like almost every vendor had one.
>>
>>9022772
I have extremely bad anxiety the week before a con. I don't sleep well and I rush to try to finish 100 things and end up getting nothing done. I also freak out about nothing selling, forgetting everything, etc.

>>9023197
Someone at a con many years ago had a raffle, it was $3 and you could win things like plush and stuff from her booth so I decided to try it. So I won a "cork board" and I show the paper to the girl at the booth and she's like "oh yeah that's a cutely decorated coarkboard let me find it!" Long story short she couldn't find it, told me to come back later, tried once a day (this was on Friday) over the weekend, and she still couldn't find it so I got a button instead. Was pretty mad because don't hold a raffle if you don't have the dang prizes with you. Found out later I wasn't the only one who didn't get their 'prize' either.
>>
I have a question about misfit merchandise. My example being, would you rather sell a button that has the mylar slightly slicking off the side at a discount or just take the small loss and toss it?
>>
>>9023490
I'd sell it at a discount. When I buy, I really like the option of buying misfit stuff because it gives me the chance to support someone whose art I like when I'm running out of dough.
If you're concerned about people's perceptions of your work being affected by the fact you're selling misprints, just give them a warning while they buy that it's not up to snuff and it's okay if they decide they don't want it.
>>
>>9023428
Something like this happened to me.
> Sixteen year old girl comes to my booth
> Talk unicorns, talk lolita (she wants to get into the fashion someday, but she's a "lolita at heart" type)
> Commissions me, all good even though the transaction took a long time because she's fangirling so much

> The next day she comes back and gives me fanart she has drawn of me in my lolita coordinate

> A month later run into her at the renaissance festival where I am working as a performer (faery)
> She's set off all over again, 2much fangirl. 2loud.

She stills follows my tumblr obsessively but she seems to be growing up and calming down since it started last year.
>>
>>9023490
I'd say sell it. One person's trash is another ones treasure. Unless it's something seriously damaged, somebody would probably be happy to buy it. I've got some misfit practice resin pieces that I'm thinking of tossing into a basket at a con and sell them for cheap.
>>
Anyone see the 'mah anxiety!' posts on the AANI FB?

Makes me wonder where our generation is going.
>>
File: charms2.jpg (93 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
charms2.jpg
93 KB, 600x900
Mind if I ask critique?

I decided to dig through some old art to see if I had anything I'd like to print up to make charms with. I've started working with resin, so I can print up some stuff, add glitter, etc... I have this sheet of some old stuff from three years ago, I originally planned to print them on shrink film.

Thoughts? I think the Mami would be cute if I darkened up the lines a bit. Maybe the deerling and mareep could be cute if I added in the right background stuff, glitter, and so on?
>>
>>9023523
>Makes me wonder where our generation is going
artists have always been known for being tempermental or even crazy. this is a stereotype that goes way back. be real.
>>
>>9023536
I don't like the extremely washed out look. needs to be darker. Besides that, they look super cute.
>>
File: mami2.jpg (18 KB, 194x246) Image search: [Google]
mami2.jpg
18 KB, 194x246
Yeah. They're lighter since shrink film darkens them up. I think when I did my test pieces years ago they were to light after shrinking. So I'll need to darken them up regardless.

I just checked and I have my old PSD file for them. Their opacity was set at 60% for that version. So the actual version is more bright.
>>
>>9023428
I figure they're trying to be your friend but don't really know how to go about doing it.
>>
>>9023540
No you. They're selling shit at a public convention. They need to shape up.
>>
>>9023536
Add a bit more color to Mami's eyes. They're cute otherwise.
>>
>>9023610
they sure do, but it has nothing to do with the state of "our generation." stereotypes exist for a reason, and "the artistic temperament" is intergenerational.
>>
>>9023555
this is really cute, anon. if you made a madoka charm i'd buy it from you in a heartbeat.
>>
any anons selling at Anime North this weekend? I'd love to meet fellow seagulls and possibly buy a bunch of things.
>>
>>9023209
Oh shit I didn't realize. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely do some research before doing it for a con.
Yeah I understand that. It really does sound like a lot of work just for a novelty.

>>9023377
Oh no, sorry about your wheel getting bent. Please update me on how it goes if you have the time, thanks. Good luck at fanime.

>>9023458
Wow that is... Extremely shitty. I'm here to confirm I definitely won't be conning (hah) anyone out of their money if I do a raffle. I can't believe you just got one button lol, not even two.
>>
Anyone here do bead art? When I was at ACEN I saw some Touhous made out of beads? Super tiny colored pellets. (Not sure what they are actually called) they were decent size too. Anyone have pics? Do other Seagulls order from each other?
>>
>>9023719
You mean like Perler beads?
>>
>>9023428
reminds me of like how I have this girl who replies to almost every tweet I make.

I get they try to be friends but this really isn't the way.
>>
>>9022691
okay, that's good to hear. i just hope they get mailed off by next weeks friday, so there's the 4-5 work days for the shipping. do they send sample charm pics automatically or do you have to ask for them? (i'm just hoping Vicky emails me that they have shipped my charms soon, tb h i don't mind if there are errors with the priting for now haha)
>>
>>9023733
Maybe post a picture so I can see?
>>
File: charmss.jpg (70 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
charmss.jpg
70 KB, 600x900
>>9023536
>>9023555
I made the colours a bit warmer. Mami is good but her eyes are rather soulless. You can try and experiment with some darker yellows but I used the dark brown with the yellow as a highlight. I also moved her facial features down a little, darkened them so they stand out a bit more and added a border to the whole thing.
The Deerling are cute as is design wise. Hard to comment on the glitter as we haven't seen examples of your work but it might work nicely if used sparingly. I'd make the Mareep's eyes a bit bigger.
>>
>>9023857
>what is google
>>
>>9022923

Are you a fellow A-kon seagull?
>>
>>9022949
Idk if you're selling t-shirts or dresses, but look at Omocat for inspiration, also check out design festa booths for ways on how to display your items.
>>
>>9023950
I appreciate the critique anon. I like the tweaks you made, though maybe not quiet the thick black border on Mami. The border is a good idea, though probably a different color.
>>
>>9023645
I am. Not much of a gull, just a lurker, but I will be sharing a crafter's table with a friend. I sculpt monsters and pendants. (No seating plan yet, sorry! But i'll be there all 3 days.)
>>
Are any seagulls doing Animenext? I've never done it before and I don't know what to expect. They still haven't sent out seating or anything and the con's in 2 weeks.
>>
So annoyed rn. I swear to god, my table partner is CREATING booth barnacles. FML.
>>
>>9024665
>They still haven't sent out seating or anything and the con's in 2 weeks.
I'm sorry to hear it's still a hot mess, even with the venue change. I've done it a few times at the old location and always did well, but it's very poorly run.
>>
>>9024815
Booth barnacles??

Like... Stock that won't be popular or good enough to sell?
>>
>>9025158
Weirdos who hang around a booth all day and won't stop talking. Like counter monkeys.
>>
>>9024815
mine had so many booth barnacles (her friends) and i got nasty looks for asking them to step aside so customers behind them could approach. like maybe you came here to hang out but i wanna sell shit.
>>
So I mirror my sketches before I color. But I can't tell if my sketches look "skewed" until I mirror them. Can you guys tell even before you mirror? And I can't tell if other people's drawings are skewed until I mirror them. But other people seem to be able to tell when something looks off without mirroring. I'm starting to wonder if my brain just can't register skewed lines.
>>
>>9025203
I mirror things constantly to make sure it comes out okay.
I usually can't tell in other people's art, though.
>>
Do you guys think it's worth offering the same print in large and small sizes? (like, 11x17 and 4x6) Or do you prefer to offer different designs in each size? I'm unsure if having a cheaper option of the same print available would be a positive or a negative.
>>
>>9025203
I generally can't tell if my own sketches are skewed without mirroring, but a lot of the time I can see it in other people's work. Nothing wrong with having to mirror them as long as you are doing it; I think it becomes more obvious with experience.
>>
>>9024815
Trade off with booth barnacles it may.. cause other attendees to stop to see what they are looking at...or walk past because meh crowd + funky smell + blocking table.
>>
>>9025214
I'd make some variant sketch onto the 4x6 and give it free with the purchase of the 11x17. If you go smaller do a letter size.

Just my opinion, I like buying other artist prints and so far its 11x17's and 8.5x11's in my collection stash.
>>
>>9025211
>>9025211
Some people seem to be able to tell instantly. Or maybe they are just saving and flipping everybody's art haha. But really, it makes me envious that they can tell so easily because I can't tell at all.

>>9025224
That's interesting. Is it easier to see the skewdness in other people's drawings?
>>
>>9025111
Ah, so the late seating is something that's happened in the past??

>>9025214
I offer 11 x 17 and 4 x 6 of the same artwork and I've found that it generally increases my profit margins. A lot of people just don't have wallspace or want somethingn small for their office/workspace. The people who want to buy posters will still buy posters - you just gain new customers who want your art in a small size!
>>
>>9025241
>If you go smaller do a letter size.
That would be better, but the ratio of 11x17 vs 8.5x11 is way off. My reasoning behind 4x6 is that it's still a common size and the proportions are close to the same so it'd be easier to crop/extend without it being too noticeable. Maybe 6x9?? And then entirely different art at letter size? Sorry if this is dumb, I'm pretty new to printing my work and there's really only 1 con per year in my area so I can't even go around and observe.

>>9025246
Good to know, thank you!
>>
>>9024296
A brown border would be good.
>>9024815
I wish it was socially acceptable to spray them with water until they left. Sweaty neckbeards don't bring in money and keep out anyone who will. Fuck those guys.
>>
Have any of you ever gotten clearfiles made?
>>
>>9025203
It's just a set of fresh eyes. You spend so much time building up your sketch, it can be difficult to realize if something is off.

I mirror my sketches regularly throughout sketching and coloring. You just get a new perspective.
>>
>>9025214
I have most of my prints available in 11x17, 8.5x11, and 4x6. The 8.5x11's sell only kind of meh (but the DO sell), and the other two sizes sell about equally well. I only hang the 11x17s but I put out both an 11x17 portfolio and a 4x6 portfolio... most people end up going through both portfolios and end up seeing prints they didn't notice the first time, even though they're looking through exactly the same stock twice.
>>
>>9025936
>even though they're looking through exactly the same stock twice.
Just remember that attendees have pretty much gone through and will repeat again going through almost every table they find interesting at which point their eyes have glazed over so much...

the mind may be willing but the wallet will be getting thinner each time they walk around. I found being situated at the end of the galaxy of an AA people bought less and looked tired at that point whereas being near middle-front area our stuff sold at a decent pace per hour.
>>
>>9025325
I don't think anyone actually likes or uses clear files except as another type of poster.
>>
>>9025325
What >>9026342 said, clearfiles aren't really a thing here. If you do make one, it'll probably be more worthwhile to get something with a cute pattern (like small pokemon) made then art you'd use for a print.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 568x152) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 568x152
Has skimlines always been this crazy? I see her at a lot of cons and she's always got stank face on. Maybe this explains why.
>>
>>9024815
I get talking and being friendly with potential customers, but how is she creating them?

>>9023490
TL;DR it's worth a shot

I think it was Momocon way back in the early years when it was still at GA Tech or moved to the Peachtree Marriott, there was a plush maker who seemed kind of new. She had a little bin marked "Adoptions" where she put some plushes with noticeable imperfections to sell at a reduced price to at least make back material cost. It thinned out a lot over the weekend, and it sticks with me to this day because I don't think I've seen anyone else do that before with anything other than buttons.

>>9026481
>Artist Alleys for larger and even smaller cons are becoming harder to get into due to an increase in applicants yearly
>One person of X race didn't get in, but someone of Y race did

So much about that would be funny if she weren't serious.
>>
>>9026481

Y'all should check out her thread on snow. She's really racist
>>
>>9026481

I think she might have been quietly banned or not accepted because she has so much.... questionable content so public. Like I'm sure the con organizers saw all her crazy tweets and didn't want that shit
>>
>>9026481
Oh, really? I like her stuff. Why do so many AA regulars turn out to be nuts.
>>
>>9026481
She used to be extremely snappy at people on AANI. I thought she calmed down and and I see this.
>>
>>9026481
How can thinking that way even be normal in any way?

Racist is racist, and that's just uncalled for.
>>
>>9026574
The #whitewashedout tag is for Asian actors getting more roles in Hollywood, which is understandable. But she's using it however she wants.
Your race doesn't matter in drawn art, jeez.
>>
>>9026481
is the logic here like, white ppl don't make anime so they shouldn't sell art in that style
cause in that case neither should chinese or korean people...lmao

i don't even remember the last time I saw a japanese artist selling typical anime at a convention. the japanese artists that attend my cons always have painterly or traditional styles
>>
>>9026636
Is she even Japanese? Because if not, her own logic is shooting her in the foot.
>>
>>9026641
No she's Korean. Never see her wearing a hanbok though, only kimono.
>>
Is anyone else at megacon right now? The aa is really sucking for me today, havnt made a sale yet.
>>
>>9026651
Yeah, I'm at Mega. This is my first year and a lot of my veteran friends told me this year's kind of shitty since they added more tables but the number of attendees is about the same. I'm doing decently but not as well as I hoped.

Did you get asked about your display height? One of my friends got singled out in a row of displays with similar height and every single staff member has been treating him like shit and I just wanted to know if it was a widespread problem?
>>
>>9026636
If anything, Japanese wouldn't want Chinese and Korean people drawing their anime more than white people. You know, because of their super cool history.
>>
>>9026342
I use my clear files, but I have to admit, I've never bought one. All of mine I've gotten from grab bags or as promotional freebies.

That said, I agree with >>9026369 to do a cute pattern or something similar if you're selling it in the artist alley, but I'd steer away from pokemon - better to do something that you couldn't buy on a folder at the dollar store already.
>>
>>9026481

Maybe it's just my area, but I feel like anytime I go browse AA there are more Asian sellers than white sellers. I mean, she can be salty all she wants but why not just be salty you didn't get in and not bring race into it?
>>
>>9026481
So I went to her farm thread, and holy shit how can one person see so much racism in everything?

And for someone who thinks saying 'manga' is racist she sure is a fucking weeb despite being Korean.
>>
>>9026481
Can anyone confirm if this girl traces? I remember someone telling me she got caught once
>>
>>9026906
I saw something about her tracing on tumblr a while back but I'm too lazy to dig up the post.
>>
>>9026651
I did alright today but for a con this size it wasn't great. Luckily I'm local so it doesn't sting as much.
>>
File: hh.png (166 KB, 325x281) Image search: [Google]
hh.png
166 KB, 325x281
>>9026880
>saying 'manga' is racist

...Why is she so upset with white people if she's Korean? The Japanese are the white people of Asia. They fucked the Chinese and Koreans so HARD in WW2 and before and after, and they still have hate crimes committed against them in Japan as we speak.

Like, what? She makes NO sense.
>>
>>9026880
Just checked out her whole twitter. HOLY SHIT. Blames her seeing racism for her triggered depression and thinks of nothing but death.

>Please seek professional help skim. I liked your art, but geez.
>>
anyone else following that 'i draw hentai' thread on AANI?
the guy doing the sticker is the-bluebreed on tumblr. I think it's less aggressive salt b/c he didn't get a table and more just being completely oblivious that it's a really obnoxious and shitty thing to do.
>>
>>9027584
She won't get help. She's at the point where any attempt to get her to seek help is seen as The Racists ganging together for a vicious attack of whitewashing because she's Asian and they want her AA spot.
If anything, her obsession with racism is part of the depression, and is something she probably has experienced at some point (but not in a fucking AA, where impressionable weebs will buy anything you shit out because you're from grorious nihonland). It's easy to blame muh opreshun for everything, and it takes effort to admit that you've gone off the deep end. And seeing as the former is more likely to get asspats, it's more than likely that her art will forever be her only redeeming feature.
>>
I've been nervous about applying to any AA's because of my art, but I think I'm finally ready.

Do you think my style would fly in a typical AA setting?
>>
>>9027872
Yeah! It's something different.
>>
>>9026651
About the same as >>9027470
The things I usually sell out of at every other con are moving very slowly and I've been having huge gaps of time in between sales all weekend.
>>
>>9026481
This is definition of not understanding racism. There's a lot of shit out there, even in conventions, but this is a huge reach lmfao. Making Korean people look bad.
>>
>>9026481
So, what would she rather an Asian girl with bad art get into AA over a white person with really good art?
>>
>>9027943
I think we all know the answer to that
>>
>>9027872
This sketch looks nice but on your website and blog you don't really have any pieces that would be suitable for something like a print. They look a bit lazy and muddy. You seem to sketch a lot rather than going all the way with lineart and colour so it's hard to say if your art is suitable as of now.
If you focused on doing things like the red/green fairy then I would say go for it but you might need to target some fandoms to stay afloat.
>>
>>9027943
reminds me of the rants of jackie roflolol lo
>>
>>9027575
if you read her tweets, nothing she does makes sense, she contradicts herself all the time.

Despite going on and on about racism and how asking what ethnicity someone is, is the worstestest thing ever, she keeps talking about American-Asians as if they're all the same.

>>9027584
Honestly I feel kinda bad for her, she's really far gone. It can't be good if you see the world as being against you 24/7.
>>
>>9027872
Your style is cute but you really only draw the same face on every drawing.
You should really try broadening your style a bit.
>>
>>9027872
Honestly I think your style looks great! The example you posted is a sketch but, I think so long as you just make prints of your finished pieces you should do all right. Art is definitely an important part of of tabling but really the key to success is presentation/salesmanship. I've definitely seen artists with art less nice than yours do well because they know how to snag a sale. Basically, the actual art is itself is only a small part of what it takes to do well in an AA.

So, to answer your question: yes! I think you'd do well, provided you have good presentation and good business sense.
>>
Fanime has been really weird but at least sales remain good. Anyone else see the 10-15 empty tables near the back/windows? Not even lone tables here and there, there's literally empty rows.
>>
>>9026651
I've been doing good but it's because I lucked out. There were two blank tables behind me on one of the main aisles. So on Saturday, I moved to those tables and let my table neighbors spread out on my old table. Been getting decent traffic. Wouldn't be doing so well otherwise.
>>
>>9028337
I know a few artists who really wanted tables but got rejected and waitlisted, so those empties is such a huge middle finger to them. I know someone on staff so I've been trying to get info about wtf happened there and why they're not letting people buy them at con. It's a huge fuckup and I hope they don't just let it slide.
>>
>>9028337
I've been doing amazingly. I got a table next to the exits, which was one of the last ones available, but since no one's checking at the doors I ended up getting two major entrances next to me and have been getting stupid good traffic.
>>
Strange question.

How do you go about, like... making friends with other artists? I see shared tables all the time. But for me, it seems like everyone else is too busy doing their own thing. I'd like to have some artist buddies, but none of my friends are interested in arting.
>>
>>9026481
how disappointing, I really enjoy her pottery :<
>>
File: 20160529_142428-1.jpg (2 MB, 1972x1552) Image search: [Google]
20160529_142428-1.jpg
2 MB, 1972x1552
Last day of Megacon. One of you bitches should come adopt a free Spiderburger before someone else takes him. Table A24.
>>
>>9028833
i love spiderburger. come to UK
>>
>>9028854
I wish I could anon.
>>
>>9028535
you find artists online with similar interests to you, then make contact. sometimes they will be close enough to you or willing to travel and you'll have yourself an irl friend. sometimes they'll just end up being penpals. sometimes they'll seem cool on the surface but be uninteresting to you underneath. you basically just have to put yourself out there constantly and hope for the best.

also just a tip:
don't grovel or otherwise place yourself lower than them, even if you admire their work a lot. it'll create a weird relationship that isn't really indicative to forming friendships
>>
>>9028897
>>9028535

Don't call people senpai.
>>
>>9028974
yeah, exactly.
>>
I forgot that Monday is a postal holiday, so now I'm freaking out even more about a few things not arriving for a con this upcoming weekend. Praying that at least my acorn charms somehow make it in time.
>>
My "studio name" is a relic of when I used to share a table with a friend at every con and we came up with something clever to describe both of our styles. It doesn't describe my style any longer but now I can't think of anything better so I've refrained from changing it... but I need to.
>>
>>9029410
cool
>>
>>9028833
I'm so sad anon, Megacon was poop but I didn't realize you were there. I always wanted a Spiderburger because I missed it three threads ago. When is your next con?
>>
File: mlady.jpg (59 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
59 KB, 480x640
Are any of you responsible for this dakimakura? Photo is from Megacon. Lots of people thought it was hilarious.
>>
Anyone have a comprehensive list of cons in the Midwest and when their artist alley applications go live?
>>
>>9029520
this is smashpansy's work! love them.
>>
>>9028833
Anon. I wish to make a plush of this glorious creature.
>>
>>9029498
I'm just the anon who suggested the combo, not the rad artist who made the charms. I wish my stuff was that cute, haha. But I'll be taking a break and then my next con's HolMat if I get in and I'll likely have some holiday goodies for gulls. It's fun seeing some of you in person.

>>9029663
Please do! Spiderburg belongs to us all.
>>
>>9029758
I will do my best anon. I may already have the fleece or felt in the proper colors. If I succeed, I'll post it.
>>
Hey all. I just got back from tabling at a con and wanted to ask for advice on a certain issue that arose there.

The issue wasn't with me but rather a friend of mine that also had a table in the artist alley. Normally they make most of their own products and sell some t-shirts of art they commissioned. However, at this con I noticed that they were also selling a couple items that they bought online. (It was really obvious that it wasn't handmade either. It was these sunglasses that look like they have cat ears and also little octopus plush key chains that had a 'made in taiwan' tag on them. I confronted the friend about these items in a roundabout way by asking "Oh did you modify these? I didn't think we were allowed to resell in the artist alley." Her response was "What the staff doesn't know won't hurt them."

What would you all do in this situation. I didn't say anything to con security because by the time I saw those items it was already Sunday (I was pretty busy and didn't have a lot of time to wander around).

How would you all approach this situation?
>>
>>9029953
I hate people that use that as an excuse.
I'd report her to staff if she's tabling at a future con.
>>
>>9029953
Report her to staff, preventing her from getting a table at future cons.

>>9029410
A name is important, change it to describe you better.
>>
>>9029956
>>9030047
I think that I'm going to send an email to the artist alley head about it. She posted a picture of her table on her facebook page where you can clearly see the items she was reselling so I'll use that. I'll also report her to staff at any other cons she does this at.

I really like hanging out with her and having fun, but the fact that she doesn't see anything wrong with what she is doing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

(Also I just read over my previous post and apologize for how badly worded it was. I barely got any sleep this past weekend because I was so busy.)
>>
>>9030062
I like all the tentacle shit.

Shame, though.
>>
Who here is ready for A-Kon this coming weekend? I'm super hyped. This is my first big con. Any last minute advice from people who have sold there before?
>>
>>9030126
Not really selling advice but it's fucking cold in the AA. Bring more than one jacket and warm layers because you're going to need it.
>>
File: sticker.png (140 KB, 287x431) Image search: [Google]
sticker.png
140 KB, 287x431
I swear I never want to draw another piece of armor as long as I live, and I've only finished the first one in the set.

My initial intent was 3" stickers on white vinyl, but honestly clear acrylic charms (probably 2") sound like a lot of fun. What do you guys think?
>>
>>9030563
are you asking for critique or for whether or it would be suited for a charm?
I think it's cute but I would be concerned about losing the detail of the armor especially around the leg area. The lack of contrast between each limb makes it a little confusing.
(something about the facial features seems off to me too, i think the left (our left) eye is too high)
>>
File: stickercharm.png (134 KB, 287x431) Image search: [Google]
stickercharm.png
134 KB, 287x431
>>9030563
Charms are always fun but go with what you really want to do or what you think will sell. Didn't know if you wanted critique or not but I made an edit.
Like the previous anon mentioned the facial features are a bit off. I moved the eyes and eyebrows around while reshaping them to be a bit less goofy. Also reshaped the jaw and resized the ear to be a bit smaller. I don't play FE but I edited the colours to suit the character better though I may be wrong.
>>
>>9030563
the silhouette could be clearer, the raised hand is good but the legs and the book/forearm could be more clear from a distance
>>
i thought i had become numb to things posted on AANI, but it turns out i still have hidden reserves of horror
>>
>>9026497
(sorry, finally back to a laptop. Phone is shit for typing)
When I made that post, she'd just had TWO instances in a row of holding up people at our booth for a while- and not even making a sale, but promoting a school she teaches at.
And it'd be one thing if it was just a dude blocking her half of the table- but both times, it was a dad with 2-3 kids in tow, blocking everything.

She's always had a habit of talking up people too long, and wants to explain the idea process behind every poster, I stg.

And then she does that thing of shouting at cosplayers, to show them stuff..? This poor poor Vegeta yesterday- called over from the middle of the aisle, and then had to stand there awkwardly while she flipped though a print book, until she could find some Vegeta/Bulma pic she drew ten years ago. It was cringe, and I didn't know what to do.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel like a shitty friend. She's a super nice person, but I'm 125% done with sharing a table with her. I feel like it's hurting my sales and our relationship.
>>
Speaking of selling wholesale stuff at AA's, Skimlines had some of those sprout hairclips for sale at Anime Matsuri and other cons but was smart enough not to have them in her display pictures, she might have made them but they looked exactly the same as the ones you can get online for a dollar for a pack of 10.
>>
>>9030126

First time in A-kon AA, too. Picking up my last prints on Tuesday and then all I have to do is pack and grab cash from my bank. Pretty excited.
>>
>>9030074
Just sent an e-mail to the artist alley head about it. I even included aliexpress links to the items that she was reselling.

Now just to wait and see what happens.
>>
>>9030714
dear lord.. how old is this person
>>
>>9030638
>>9030652
>>9030684
Thanks guys. I was asking if it would be suited for a charm but crit is always welcome! I was also worried about losing detail in a charm that size.

& Thank you for the edit. The face had been bothering me but I couldn't put my finger on it. (And I really need to remember to check my work on a color calibrated screen - I work on a Cintiq 12WX which has a 60% color gamut even after calibration.)
>>
>>9026502
she was at fanime. i saw her there and she glared at my white friend but was friendly to me. i left without buying anything.

>>9028337
i saw that too and it was mysterious. it wasn't for attendees to sit at either so i have no idea what the fuck was even happening.

>>9030714
this looks like it came straight out of a how to draw manga book from barnes & nobles.
>>
Do a conventions shady business practices prevent you from wanting to sign up for the AA? Anime Matsuri and now Space City Comic Con are two prime examples.

>>9031118
https://vine.co/v/epVhpt03Eid
>>
>>9031129
yes. morality aside, i don't want to risk getting screwed over.
>>
I finally find the table cloth I've been wanting, only to find realize when I get home that the width is 45 inches, not 60. I forgot to check the width since i'm so use to all the fabric I get being 60....
Should I just deal with the table cloth being a little short or what?
>>
>>9031217
Maybe you could find a coordinating fabric in 60"?
>>
>>9030737
Time to get your own table. She sounds like a nightmare, and is most definitely hurting your sales. Either make a massive divider between your parts so nobody can think you're together or just get a table to yourself.
>>9031129
Absolutely. I don't want to associate with people like that, or be made to pay for a table I've already paid for, or have to mill about aimlessly for hours while they sort themselves out.
>>
>>9031217

Seconding >>9031253. Either put a longer piece of fabric under it or sew more to your existing tablecloth. I personally like the layered look because you can put your other tablecloth at an angle or do more interesting staging.

>>9031129

For sure. I mean, there's disorganization and then there's being a shady business. It doesn't seem like good sense to sign up for a con like Matsuri where you really never know when things will actually catch up to them. What if you end up in a situation where the con is cancelled and they won't repay you? I'd rather just not get entangled from a business perspective, and then morally, I do find a lot of problems with their con. So even if it was run well, I wouldn't go. It's dirty money.
>>
>>9029520
Aw, thank you!
>>9029540
You too famicom
>>
>>9029520
I remember the thread when we were all saying shit like "add more doritos"
>>
AANI group orders are making notebooks and enamel pins. Do you think it is worth?
>>
>>9031663
Just make sure that whatever company they're group ordering from is nickel free. Allergies to nickel are common and lot of overseas companies will have it in the pin if you don't say something.
>>
>>9027986
Thank you for the feedback, yeah I admit I have gotten a lot lazier in my 20's than I did when I was freshman in college. Im def working on finishing more pieces now.

I'm looking to enter the AA scene in 2017 since I do have a long way to go and I don't think I'm ready just yet with stuff to present as prints and such.
>>
>>9031663
Notebooks are a long-term investment but I think they do all right. I sold a fair number of mine and I saw a lot of people walking around with them at fanime
>>
>>9030839
Some other artists have been doing that too, I've heard. Mostly as table filler, but I mean if you need something that's not your own work to lure people in for money, you shouldn't even be doing artist alley. If you guys see those sprout clips being sold in AA, they are 100% not made by the artist and should be reported, along with other wholesale items. If you just want one for yourself, check ebay or aliexpress lol.
>>
>>9032314
When talking about sprout clips, do you mean the ones that look like actual plants growing out of your head?
>>
>>9030839
that's distasteful. I've seen some artists sell merchandise - anime figures and stuff - at their tables before, like it was a garage sale. doesn't really sit well with me.
>>
Do you find it weird or in bad taste if an artist gets into a series only to make money from selling stuff from it because it's popular?

Not that you could know specifically unless you talk to them I guess. I ask because I just haven't been into any of the 'big' series for a long while now, and I'm considering just watching them so I can at least offer something that'll sell in addition to my favorite series.
>>
Hey everyone, I'm going to attend my first con as an artist alley vendor this summer. The thing is, in my country, staff don't like to see fanart being sold. A few here or there are ok I guess but if it's the majority, I think I'm gonna be in trouble (which is ridiculous because they don't give two shits about bootleg merch from regular vendors but w/e). Now I'm kinda insecure because I know my fanart is pretty popular in a fandom whose name I won't mention here but my original art usually gets little to no attention - which is probably the usual thing for many people but it makes me wonder if I will sell anything at all.

Apart from fanart, I like to draw lolita fashion/ j-fashion stuff and girls in kimono. Also, I enjoy drawing random girls/people in untypical lighting/colours and while I get complimented on that a lot when it comes to fanart, I'm not sure if that's something that would sell well if the subject of the picture isn't interesting. I guess the fashion stuff would be more popular, but are those motives that sell at all? I don't want just my local lolita comm to buy stuff out of pity.

Are there any people out there who are stuck with having to sell/ prefer selling mostly original art? What are your experiences? Is there stuff that doesn't work, stuff that works extremely well?
>>
>>9032462
Art is business, I don't think it's in bad taste. If the show is ok enough for you to make it through, why not just force yourself. Doing stuff for series that have little to no fandom is just frustrating.
>>
>>9031301
Yeah, as much as Megacon switching to 6ft tables next year sucks, it made a good opportunity to bring up the idea of tabling seperately from her. Without it seeming personal.
It just makes me feel kinda bad, cuz we've been friends for 15 years... she just has cruddy business acumen? Which is kinda ironic, since she's more interested in networking than sales at cons.
>>
>>9032509
Original art doesn't do well unless it's got a following of it's own-think kelpls or runmonsterun. I've had a few original prints sell just because the structure of those prints was very 'generic aesthetic' (one of my oc, floating with geometric shapes). You could do jfash/lolita/person in cosplay commissions it's not fanart but portraits of people at the con. Alternatively, how much can you toe the line of fanart? If you draw things vague enough, I bet you could get away with it (ex. landscape of some blonde haired boy from the back-what do you mean? That's my elf OC, not Link...) that could sell.

I've used original art in sketchbook zines/to promote my webcomic but printing a the first chapter, etc but rarely as prints. However, if people recognize you art (and I'm sure you could have fanart snippets in a zine), those sell really well from my experience.
>>
>>9032462
As someone who sells and makes fanart, I can see the pros and cons. When buying art, I really like to interact with the artist if they have time. Last con I went to, for example, I was Yamato from Touken Ranbu and was looking for Touken Ranbu prints. It was just a nice touch to the experience to gush about it with the artists with they weren't busy and I like to talk with fans of a thing when they buy stuff from me too!

But AA is also a business and I know that many fandoms can be obnoxious and sports anime might not be everyone's cup of tea. I think it does lose it's draw because if an artist is only invested in the sale, like, it can be noticeable if the table isn't very busy. Asking about their fav character can be awkward. Overall, I wish I'd just gotten the print from their storenvy instead of in person because it would've been the same interaction. I at least try to go through the first couple episodes or know something about the source material I draw from. Some things I love just aren't popular and that's just how it goes, but if I'm going to put in hours to make a print, I'd like to be drawing something I like and would like to talk about.
>>
Is it underhanded to charge $25 for a shirt then tell customers it will be $2-3 extra for tax after they expressed interest? Ran into this over the weekend and the person didn't even have a card reader but instead did PayPal transactions which took awhile because popular booth.
>>
Does display height matter? At my last con I was surrounded my particularly tall displays and noticed that people just zoomed past my table. They would not even look at my table. My display was on the very short side and had very non vibrant prints. Should I make my display taller to get noticed better?
>>
>>9032672
People are naturally drawn to height. If you're standing up and you can't see anything at eye level without looking downward, you need to increase your height.
>>
>>9032462
Watch/read the series. If you like it and get into it, that's great. If you manage to struggle through it enough to understand the characters and plot, that's fine too. I hate it when people do fanart of shows they've never bothered to even read the summary of, but if you at least make an effort, I don't see it as a bad thing.
>>9032649
Yes. Don't do that, just add it to the price. Dick move or not, people want to spend money quickly. Saying it costs more will make them reconsider their purchase and will probably put people off buying your stuff in general, not just shirts.
Also, $28 is a really awkward price. Just make them $30, 2 for $50 and save yourself the hassle of finding $2 change for everyone.
>>
File: fuk.png (2 MB, 1296x663) Image search: [Google]
fuk.png
2 MB, 1296x663
hey guys, i had a quick printing question.
the image on the left was done on my home inkjet with glossy paper, the right is from a hardproof of a small art booklet i'm getting done through smartpress. i chose 100# premium matte text paper.

i'm really dissatisfied with the quality of their printing, but smartpress doesn't seem to know what's going on or how to fix it.

i'm wondering if i can salvage it and find a decent middleground by choosing a different paper, or if i should back the fuck out and find a different printer?
>>
>>9032531
The vague fanart suggestion sounds good! I shall do that!
>>
>>9032748
Oh man, the right does look really bad. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I've been in a similar situation before (but with clothing, not an art book) and it's just going to be one fuck-up after another. Find a different printer. They shouldn't have even sent this out to you. This isn't a presentable product.
>>
>>9032748
Yeah. That is pretty awful looking. I'd say ask them to send samples of a different paper, and hunt around for a different printer at the same time.
>>
I sell mostly small impulse buy items like stickers and charms, and I'm putting together some grab bags to move older stock. How many do you bring to each con?
>>
>>9032748
It looks like the ink is pooling because the paper is for laserjet and being printed with inkjet. Has a blotchy effect.
>>
People who are going to A-kon - do we need to bring our tax permits when we sign in to get our badges? I'm presuming they already have our info but just in case?
>>
>>9033250
You need to have it on you. It says so in the email.
>>
>>9033250
It's probably a good idea to have a paper and digital copy on you, in the event the convention request to see it, or they may have lost it. Better safe then sorry.
>>
File: tumblr_o82cbwUIfm1qhon91o1_1280.png (152 KB, 1109x902) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o82cbwUIfm1qhon91o1_1280.png
152 KB, 1109x902
>>9030714
So when this got posted yesterday I restrained myself from making a joke about someone having a tattoo booth in the Artist's Alley.
Today I saw this on my dash.
>>
>>9029520
Shit, this is glorious, and IDK how I never saw it all weekend
On that note, I'm really happy with all the seagulls I got to meet
>>
>>9033285
I like that the concern was taxes rather than catching hep c
>>
>>9033285
This just screams bad idea all around.
>>
>>9033143
About 10-15 myself. Depends on the size of the con and how much stock I need to move.
>>
>tfw you make more ghosting at a friend's table than a guy who has an entire table full of shit tiddy art
>>
>>9033285
Who the fuck goes to a convention for a tattoo? Plus what even are this guy's qualifications?
>>
>>9033655
1) he has a stick
2) he can poke
>>
Is it better to use tape or binder clips to hold up your display prints?
>>
>>9033536
tiddy art is much more successful online/privately, IMO. I feel so awkward buying art that is a step away from porn in real life.
>>
>>9033684
I feel like it generally does pretty well! It just has to be done right otherwise it looks really awkward
>>
>>9033684
>tfw you bought a picture of a dude in a thong and fishnets at a con quite blatantly with underage sister in tow
Oops? I also bought a sticker set of naked zodiac women as well, didn't really think anything of it. My husband went to hang up the thong dude picture for me in our room and my son (7 year old) told him he couldn't because it was inappropriate.
>>
Does anyone know where I can get shirts printed in bulks for a decently cheap price but still good have good quality? Preferably somewhere in Toronto (for you AN con goers). Thanks in advance!
>>
>>9033708
Your poor son is being raised by autists.
>>
>>9033655
>Who the fuck goes to a convention for a tattoo?
I went to a con where someone was giving tattoos, and it was surprisingly popular. I agree though, idk why anyone would get a tattoo at a con...
A really nice buzzing noise all day too.
>>
>>9033708
pics of thong dude
>>
Where do people get oppai mousepads printed?
>>
>>9033684
not original anon but i saw some pretty sad tiddy art at fanime. can't imagine it doing well anywhere
>>
>>9033655
Just got back from Megacon and they had an entire "Tattoo Alley" full of people getting tattoos on site. People want to get poked and inked up at cons that badly I guess.
>>
File: IMAG0858.jpg (919 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0858.jpg
919 KB, 1520x2688
>>9033761
Pic related.
>>9033757
Well, my husband IS autistic. Probably why he didn't realize why I hadn't put it up myself and instead had it tucked away and then got himself chided by a child.
>>
>>9033655
They are entire conventions for tattooing. There's a few that happen twice a year here.
>>
can we get a rule or a note or something in the OP about doing some research and not just asking to be spoonfed?

>>9033778
alibaba, same as most merch that isn't prints. you can google specific companies. some will let you do 1pc but quality tends to be pretty shitty. c'mon dude.
>>
File: 4U.png (368 KB, 945x574) Image search: [Google]
4U.png
368 KB, 945x574
I've commissioned over 1000 artists over 5 years, no joke.

Would anyone be interested in a guide from a 'professional' commissioner about what we see from our side at anime cons and what artists can do to improve?

I'm sure alot of it won't be really applicable to the majority of regular congoers that just impulse shop AA
>>
>>9033880
yeah why not
>>
>>9033837
That's actually pretty tasteful. I like it.
>>
>>9033837
This hot ass is from
www.MidnightzoneShop.etsy.com

but they're on vacation mode right now.

>fuck you 4chan spam filters
>>
>>9033880
I would totally be down to read something like this.
>>
>>9033880
This would be great!

But
>in b4 AANI goes on a tirade about artist's rights and creative licensing and how commissioners are evil and everything suuuucks
>>
File: allalone.jpg (260 KB, 1259x695) Image search: [Google]
allalone.jpg
260 KB, 1259x695
>>9033885
>>9033985
Sure I'll do a write-up for it, so it isn't just a bunch of disjointed points.

Probably have it ready by next week, if not sooner. I'll post it in whatever AA thread is up when I do it.
>>
File: 1460301164794.gif (2 MB, 420x275) Image search: [Google]
1460301164794.gif
2 MB, 420x275
>>9033991
aww yee that'd be cool anon, i'll look forward to it.
>>
>>9033991
excited to read it but i hope it's more of a focus on what makes commissions appealing rather than
>make sure your display commissions are reflective of your actual skill!
>if you say the commission will be done in a certain time frame, get it done!

i.e real basic stuff everyone who isn't a inexperienced 14 y.o understands.
>>
I was wondering. Does anybody have a separate "business" account for their sells? I'm currently setting up my sales stuff. I'd like to set up a bank account separate from my personal account. To better streamline my finances and so on.
>>
>>9033991
Looking forward to it anon! I'm really interested in what kind of info you've picked up.
>>
>>9033397
Tbh that tattoo artist probably doesn't give a shit whether his customers catch hep c but if HE might get caught with something, that's more likely to scare him off doing that.
>>
>>9033779
If you can find the art, would like to see it. So I know what not to do or look like if I do tiddy art one day.
>>
>>9033878
The sticky didn't say anything about it and I'd trust you guys better about quality than a random Google search. Shit.
>>
>>9034092
Good tiddy art near the exit, i see him at cali cons ever year. Not my taste but well executed: http://eu03.deviantart.com/gallery/

Bad tiddy art.. is just forgettable with shit anatomy and posing and balloon tits that have no gravity. If they didn't have the tits or ass they wouldn't know how to draw a woman at all. Pretty sure one of them is that guy bragging about having music at his table despite falling asleep at the con. You can't fall asleep if you're selling.
>>
>>9034092
bad tiddy art is drawing what you think other people think is sexy. if you find what you're drawing erotic it'll show through. Tiddy art that is just generic, superficial 'sexy' is so embarassing.
>>
File: Spiderbro.jpg (29 KB, 643x454) Image search: [Google]
Spiderbro.jpg
29 KB, 643x454
>>9029663
Do it. We need more Spiderburgers!
>>
Somewhat related, how I do a lot of personal commissions (aka drawing someone's OC) and recently have been getting commissioned by people obviously not part of the usual group that commissions a lot (like how it is on dA).

What's the best rundown or points to give them about commissioning? Some of them are rather confused and while I don't mind writing up an explanation I'm still fearing they misunderstood something.
>>
How interested do you guys think the average buyer would be in papercraft model kits? Like a pack of sheets on large, good-quality stock with instructions included. I'm thinking of doing both simple stuff that catches an impulse buy and big models that can stand up properly.
>>
>>9034690
It depends on price and quality. I've bought 3-D puzzles before and they always are so crappy, but I really like the idea.
>>
>>9033991
Curious what exactly you have been commissioning? That's a lot of commissions. You just really like seeing your OCs in other people's styles or?
>>
Anyone else here sick of how everything makes you a sell-out in art communities?

I mean I'm not selling at cons because I'm planning on giving everything away for free.
>>
File: uh.jpg (31 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
uh.jpg
31 KB, 680x382
>>9034843
>I'm planning on giving everything away for free.

What?
>>
>>9034858
They're saying they sell in alleys for profit and that being called a "sell-out" for having certain products doesn't make sense to them when the entire point of being there is to make money.
>>
>>9034858
I meant what >>9034869 said, I'm selling at cons because I want to make money, but for some reason the very idea of an artist making money seems to be unreasonable to some.
>>
>>9034877
Those are probably the same people that think artists charge too much for commissions or that unpaid work "pays in exposure :)"

If you have a skill that you can profit from and there's people willing to pay for it, I don't see the issue.
>>
>>9034843
I actually wanted to do splatter art for a while using my own fanart images but now I'm afraid of being called out by AANI because of their witchhunt over that guy who was stealing art to do it. I don't want to steal but splatter shit is popular and I want to make money. Like that guy that does the boring front perspective headshots of x million characters, I don't think his stuff is stolen but he gets shamed for being 'lazy' and 'unoriginal'. But who gives a fuck? The point of alley is to sell things. If you're looking for artistic fulfillment then go to real art shows not an anime expo.
>>
In anime matsuri's AA Policy it says "Sharing and splitting of tables is strictly prohibited" so does that mean that two artists cant split a table? im a bit confused if thats the case because thats never been part of the rules in past conventions so maybe im reading it wrong.
>>
>>9023536
the shape of the deerling's eyes is really wonky...
>>
>>9034940
>does that mean that two artists cant split a table?
that is literally what it says, so i would say yes, but then again this is AM, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.
>>
>>9034883
On the other hand, if you're looking to make money and not share your fandom love, then go open up a shop instead of selling at a fan-run anime event.

Honestly, I don't mind that people want to make cash because everyone likes making cash, but I feel purely lucrative motives go against the spirit of anime conventions.
>>
>>9034950
Agreed. Make money, but also hopefully do it while drawing things you enjoy and are passionate about.
>>
>>9034950
Well I still only draw things I like, and I do genuinely enjoy drawing all of it and seeing people liking it. But there's too many people who will whine at me for selling at all.

It's just annoying.
>>
>>9034945
Like how?
>>
>>9034950
By your logic dealer's rooms shouldn't exist then? And conventions shouldn't charge for admission? I don't want to create art of anything I don't like or wouldn't enjoy doing purely for profit, but I do create fanart mostly with the intention of selling it. Sure I like sharing common interests with people at events but I am not running a table out of the goodness of my heart to spread my love of anime and give people free shit and spend half the con talking to some guy about Naruto as they block other customers from seeing my merchandise. The 'spirit of anime cons' doesn't exist outside of attendees. Of course most artists enjoy what they are doing and are not money grubbing soulless vendors who think AA it's some get rich quick scheme but you think those people running the vendor booths selling Japanese candy or Pusheen plushies are there because they love Madoka and want to make cosplayers smile?
>>
>>9034962
Not them, but probably because it's so symbol intensive and it looks more like a human eye drawn from the front than a deer eye seen from the side. It doesn't read as deer or deerling to me. Also where the hell are the whites of its eye.
>>
>>9034972
Dealers are usually employees for some anime shop, aren't they? There's exceptions but they're not the ones making the figures and wallscrolls, they just gotta know the names of them.
Same with general vendors. You're mixing up workers with creators.

Also you missed anon's point.
There's nothing wrong with selling something you like, but if you make things you don't care for purely for profit with no personal enjoyment, you're "going against the spirit of anime conventions"
>>
>>9034996
** me again
I guess I should point out that the people who sculpt figures aren't usually fans of the series either, they're hired.

All of this is why the DR and AA are considered separate.
>>
>>9034972
Something can be non-lucrative and still ask for money, what are you smoking. There's a difference between making back your money and profiting. Dealer's Room bring in foreign merch while charging a bit more to cover shipping and service. Of course, there's a difference between what is the current reality and what I consider ideal, but I wouldn't mind finding a middle ground where it's neither just handing out freebies nor totally commercialized.

>I am not running a table out of the goodness of my heart to spread my love of anime
Well, that's why I do it. Sure I like getting money for my time, but I am not running a table because it's my full time job and I want to suck as much money out of the attendees as possible and that the other fans are worthless if they're not throwing money at my wares.
>>
File: 1307498644346.png (165 KB, 239x296) Image search: [Google]
1307498644346.png
165 KB, 239x296
>>9033108
ah yeah, after communicating with smartpress for a bit they admitted it's just how their press prints.
they said they would shift to a different press that prints smaller dpi for the low low price of 200 more dollars, then proceeded to tell us it probably wont really fix the issue.
so we're gonna try to back out and get it done through printninja instead
>>
File: Untitled.png (8 KB, 484x92) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
8 KB, 484x92
Saw this in another thread and thought it was a nice reminder. Remember to always bring your cash box with you fellow gulls.
>>
>>9034811
other people's styles and vision of the art
>>
>>9035163
Emi? As in Barelytea?
>>
>>9035163
Which thread?
>>
>>9035240
>>9035253
I saw it in the Emily Hu thread in /snow/
>>
>>9035253
they're just trying to bring lolcow drama into this thread. although it's good practice to bring your money with you, in this specific instance they're just trying to start shit. close friends who share tables sell for each other and exchange money all the time through out the day via text or earlier arrangement other wise.
>>
>>9035266
>in this specific instance they're just trying to start shit

How do you know?
>>
>>9034436
I seemed to have missed all the spider burger stuff, can anyone pls tell me where I can get this precious creature?
>>
>>9035295
As someone who read the entire thread, it started as some legitimate criticism but at this point they're just shitting on her for either being fat, ugly, and being kind of a weeb.
>>
>>9035318
it is pricey, as many handmade plushes are: https://www.etsy.com/listing/267863503/spider-burger-with-french-fry-legs-plush

i do not remember who else has spiderburger merch. can we get a list compiled?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.