[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a J-Fashion at work thread? I'm mainly into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 18
File: jfashionatwork.jpg (253 KB, 687x942) Image search: [Google]
jfashionatwork.jpg
253 KB, 687x942
Can we have a J-Fashion at work thread?

I'm mainly into gyaru, but if I was able to wear it more often I'd probably go full Lolita and only use gyaru for lazy days.

The question:
>what kind of job could I work at if I don't wanna leave the J-Fashion in my closet and only take it out to cons?

I know some of you, who've already finished school and uni are having jobs where they're allowed to wear 'their' fashion
>tell me your jobs!!!PLEASE!!!
>>
>>9011274
Separate your hobbies and your work like a normal adult. Stop being a spergy baby.
>>
>>9011274
Work at the Baby/AP stores in NYC/San Fran. All I can think of to go "full lolita".

If you work in a small office and everyone is chill you can probably wear some toned down lolita outfits, but why would you want to wear any more than that anyway? No one has time for 2 petticoats, uncomfortable shoes and 10 accessories while sitting at a computer trying to get shit done or meeting with clients or something.

If you work somewhere more corporate with a stricter dress code youre out of luck though.
>>
>>9011274
I'm actually surprised I've never come across some sort of kawaii office kei before.
What would such a fashion include? Would it be similar to nanchette or larme?
>>
>>9011298
Well, I know that some people on here DO work while wearing any kind of full OTT J-Fashion

>>9011311
I'm not from the US, but thanks

>>9011320
I saw some Gyaru working at Narita airport, they wore women suits and hair straight down, but fully makeup. That was pretty cute and sth I'd like to do.
>>
I'm having a very serious job and I'm so pissed about wearing the same three pieces over and over again, to not apply any makeup and don't do my hair. I look like a hobo at work
I don't really want to go ott with my style everyday, but I'd like to wear skirts and things showing a slight idea of a cleavage. Also I want to be free about my makeup and hair.
>>
>>9011328
>>9011332
>>9011309
You read gyaru and immediatly call it trashy and ugly?? wow j fashion comm really is for shit

OP upper left is gyaru, as well as upper right who is gyaru inspired, I won't call neither of them trashy nor prostitute looking
>>
>>9011342
are you even into jfashion?
>>
File: workcoordexamples.png (2 MB, 1355x759) Image search: [Google]
workcoordexamples.png
2 MB, 1355x759
I am a manager at an independent retail business. Technically there isn't a dress code, but I like to keep my coords tasteful and professional. My customers love it, especially the older women that come in.

I wear a lot of Innocent World. When I wear AP & BTSSB they're usually simple OPs and I often don't wear prints unless they're very plain. I usually only wear OTKs and tights, as ankle socks usually give a childlike impression. I usually wear minimal accessories and a more casual level of pettipoof.

As well, never wear white to work if you don't work at a desk job. Mystery stains will show up, even if you work in a clean environment.

>pic related, similar to outfits I would wear
>with critique on what I would change with them
>>
>>9011337
>OP upper left is gyaru
lol wat
>>
File: 12_13_10_11.jpg (136 KB, 500x697) Image search: [Google]
12_13_10_11.jpg
136 KB, 500x697
>all this gyaru hate
>these salty people have probably never heard of mode or oneegyaru

Not OP, but really guys?
>>
>>9011357
who let /r9k/ in?
>>
I used to work an office job and would never wear full on j-fashion but I'd often wear some Amavel blouses and stuff like that as part of my office wear.

My workplace was pretty chill with me wearing that but my commute was too tedious to wear more than that.
>>
>>9011353
thank you! this is the kind of answer I was looking for.
Did you wear lolita all the time or did you 'come out' about it after a while?
>>
>>9011362
or himekaji (which is super popular right now) or any other kind of more toned down gyaru?

Also, gyaru is not black diamond who are floating the web. Gyaru can be basic af clothes, chanel or whatever the fuck you like
>>
>>9011375
wow, someone like you should leave whatever comm they're in and never come back to the j-fashion communite ever again unless they've turned into a somewhat social human being without that much of useless prejudice
>>
>>9011398
I know I should better just ignore you...but no it's definitly NOT about being a trashy skank. Or do you also think that all fairy kei and sweet lolita people are ageplayers and addicted to their daddies???
>>
File: 632579-1909-2016-04-21495646.jpg (59 KB, 450x570) Image search: [Google]
632579-1909-2016-04-21495646.jpg
59 KB, 450x570
>>9011389
I started wearing it slowly, both to learn what worked in the workplace as well as letting my co-workers and customers get used to it.

I am a daily lolita outside of the workplace, so I wear it quite often at work. I wear it almost every day, but I might take a day off and wear "normal" clothes if I'm not feeling well. I usually save Fridays or hot days for my more casual work appropriate "normal" clothing.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-18-18-55-17.jpg (157 KB, 1027x795) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-18-18-55-17.jpg
157 KB, 1027x795
>>9011398
>>
>>9011402
I'd instantly leave such a com, if I were you.

I'm a gyaru, but I as well love dressing up in lolita. Both fashions have their pros and cons, as you say some people still think (whyever they do) that dressing gyaru = instantly becoming a whore/slut, other people see a lolita and think 'eww ageplayer much'.

As we all love outstanding fashions, we should support each other in what we do. Even if we don't like the style in particular, we shouldn'T spread any kind of prejudice about it.

And now leave this stupid discussion and get back to the main topic which is
>jfashion at work

Thanks
>>
>>9011405
That's cool!
Do you have examples of what kind of hair and make do you think is appropriate with it/or what you wear?
>>
>>9011337
lmfao, you have no idea what gyaru is at all do you.

t. actual gyaru
>>
>>9011420
Bet you tree fiddy that this is some fat replica-wearing potato getting mad that she will never fit into MA*RS or pull off any kind of 'sexy' look.
>>
File: MTP00081.jpg (49 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
MTP00081.jpg
49 KB, 500x317
I wear skirts like these to work all the time. I work as a secretary/English tutor for a higher learning company. My boss and students don't mind it at all. I don't wear a petticoat with it and my coord is toned down. The frills on my blouse aren't too much and I keep my hair simple. I turn it into an otome inspired coord with a simple cardigan and light make up. The most jewellery I wear is a pearl necklace or a stealthy weeaboo charm necklace (like a cardcaptor sealing key). The only comments I get are questions about where I buy my items.
>>
>>9011422
right is hime gyaru and left is a girl often wearing pastel, but always doing gyaru makeup
>>
Someones here wearing any pastels or mori to work?
>>
>>9011274

I wear lolita/otome everyday. I used to do full lolita, but after a month of it I got tired. It's very restrictive to wear everyday, you can't move, your head hurts, there's too many accessories etc etc

I just wear casual lolita or otome instead. JSK + cardigan, salopette + cutsew or cutsew + mini skirt is the best. It's cute without the stress and easier to wash too.

In terms of job, I work as a software engineer. As long as I ship code on time, no one gives a shit. Some of my coworkers wear trackpants/pajamas and flipflops to work, it really doesn't matter.

Also software engineering, especially enterprise type, pays really well. Burando every month!
>>
>>9011441
mori means forest though? not sure were you got the homeless from?

what kind of fashion are you even into? are you some elitist convention lolita with 5complete AP setups?
>>
>>9011446
sounds great, cause my mood can go from OTT sweet to homeless kei with flip flops within a single day lol
>>
>>9011457
I KNOW it lol but I like this fashion anyway, because it's super casual, easy and comfortable to wear and since I'm from northern Europe it's pretty much socially accepted here
>>
>>9011468
because it's stupid to call it homeless kei, it's rude and offensive. But since you also call gyaru skank, what ellse should I expect here.

I really wanted this to be a serious thread, but you fucking troll ruined it. Great job, you idiot. Hope your com hates you
>>
>>9011439
I wear larme coords to work sometimes so quite a lot of pastels, nothing too extreme but pretty frilly compared to normie stuff. So pencil skirts, frilly tops, hair accessories. I guess it helps that the silhouette isn't that different from standard workwear, it's more about the details and the colour palette you use.
Not sure under what style you'd classify that, probably somewhere between larme and otome (ish??), but Fint has a lot of cute work appropriate stuff with a slightly retro feel to it, I've bought a few skirts from them and I've been wearing them all the time since.
I work in construction and the only comments I get are positive, our office doesn't have a dress code but in general everyone is smartly dressed.
>>
File: workinglolitahairstyles.png (1 MB, 900x776) Image search: [Google]
workinglolitahairstyles.png
1 MB, 900x776
>>9011418
I try to wear very tidy hairstyles, as it looks more professional to me. I do avoid braids/plaits (unless it's one plait "Elsa style"), pigtails/twintails and odango hairstyles as it can look a bit childish to some. I need my hairstyle to reflect my position, so as much as I love twintails, I do avoid them.
>>
>>9011470
I've never been looked down for it.
I've been looked down for lolita, gyaru and any other kind of jfashion though, but since mori is so fucking casual, no one even asked me if I was some kind of 'animu gurl'
>>
>>9011474
sorry to ask, but I guess if I google it I won't get it right: what is Fint?

I also thought about larme at work! It's cool to hear from other doing it. Though what kind of shoes are you wearing? Isn't larme mostly combined with platforms?
>>
File: SS16_SC_PARKA_BLACKa.jpg (67 KB, 566x566) Image search: [Google]
SS16_SC_PARKA_BLACKa.jpg
67 KB, 566x566
>>9011481
http://www.fint-shop.com/

Depends on the styling. I think if it's a platform heel and not a flatform it can be work appropriate. Of course if you're short it's easier to get away with it. I don't wear jfashion shoes to work just because most of them aren't that comfortable to have on for 8 hours, so pic related is the exact pair I usually wear.
>>
>>9011512
Thank you!! I usually work DocMArtens to work since I'm working with children.
>so no skirts or open hair for me
>>
i'm a sweet lolita and i work with kids 12-15 and we do lots of crafts, i prepare some light food etc for them. so i dont want to wear my most expensive or nice dresses in case they would get dirty. i could wear normie clothing of course but lolita makes me so happy, and my colleagues and the kids love it too. i put a little bit of effort into dressing in the morning and my day
gets a lot brighter!
i try to keep it simple, small petticoat, one or two head accessories, fewer colours etc.
sometimes i dress it down with a granny shawl around my shoulders or a cardigan.
i wear my natural hair with bangs in a sideswept braid, or a very plain and good quality wig in the same color as my own hair. i use false lashes but not my most extreme ones.

in the curriculum it says that the school should strive to make every child feel as they can be themselves and grow as humans. students should be able to test different ways of developing their identity, creativity and express themselves through art, music etc. then why should not the grown ups and teachers be able to do so as well?
i have had only one negative reaction to my clothes from a teacher who thought i looked costumey and unserious. i understand her though, i was wearing toy parade in pink by AP with a huge pastel wig... that was more than a year ago though and i wont do that mistake again.
i might think everyone should be able to dress how they want but i also need to compromise, i dont want parents to think they are sending their kids to a school full of crazy unserious teachers haha.
>>
>>9011600
I'm working at a school where about 80% of parents are muslim and and a lot don't even speak the countries language.

I once wore a little more makeup and the day after my colleague warned me, to better not do it again, because the men don't want their daughters to be teached by a whore...yeah wow...never work in a socially disadvantaged area if you want to wear a skirt and or some makeup (it was jsut some pink lipstick c'mon I didn't even wore eyeliner!!)
>>
>>9011337
>OP upper left is gyaru
oh my god
>>
>>9011649
I have some serious left right problems going on sry left is gyaru makeup, but anime clothes and right is hime gyaru, damn. It took me hours to realize my mistake
>>
Can anyone post some examples of what they'd wear to work that's toned down but still cute, I'd prefer mostly earthy and jewel toned things in an eligant style, but feel free to post anything you want to help anyone else here who might need it!
>>
>>9011626
Fucking hell where do you live?
>>
>>9011679
Europe
>>
>>9011676
no, many people have problems to differ left from right and it's getting more and more common. For left handed people it's even more common to not know where left or right is.
>if looking down my hands I can clearly tell which is left and right, but if I have to describe a way or a picture or sit in a car and someones telling me how to drive, they better need to pint in the direction they want me to go
>>
>>9011626
wow.. that sucks. yeah its hard to balance your own ideas on how you see the world and the parents, but thats just crazy!
i also live in europe, sweden to be exact. the school i work in is in a pretty mixed area, around half of the children have parents who are immigrants, many parents are muslims as well. never had something like that happen, i feel so sorry for you!
maybe im a bit naive but i would talk to the principal if it happened to me, ask their opinion and follow that.

speaking of muslims, this may be a bit OT but i thought it was cute. a teacher colleague of mine came to visit my school. she wears a niqab so all you see is her eyes. anyway we were sitting at my computer thats all pink and full of AP stickers, and i went to get some coffee. when i came back she told me a little boy had come up to her and started talking as if it was me, his regular teacher who just had put on a niqab haha. he figured since she was using my computer i always use, and we have the same body size haha.
it shows they are pretty used to me dressing in unusual ways of clothing at that school now, they wouldnt even make a deal out of it if i came in a niqab apparently lol. thought it was cute.
>>
>>9011688
me too shit this is why i wont get a drivers license.
(or maybe im just lazy)
but i think its hard when someone asks me for example road directions, and when i talk to a person in front of me i have a hard time figuring out which of their side that is their left side and vice versa
>>
>>9011697
There are parents being open about it and also my colleagues like my 'eccentric way' but since the principal is...um...not much of a nice person, I won't go to tell them about it.

Pretty sad though that I'll have to cover my legs in jeans or leggins during summer, this makes me wanna cry
>>
>>9011697
>>9011708

I'm European too and reading this is literally the kind of stuff you'd see on right wing conspiracy websites, I can't believe that's what it's actually like
I'd much rather stay with my backward slav brethen at this point

Sage for no contribution
>>
>>9011446
I've been thinking about getting into it.
How is it in terms of an average day at work?
How would you say your work/life balance is?
I just want any lolitas in those fields to give me any information they can before I go balls deep and regret it...
>>
I'm gonna say something you don't want to hear OP but you shouldn't wear Jfashion to work if you ever hope to move upwards in your career.
>Even in Japan the popular street styles the we think of as Jfashion are not considered work clothes.
There are plenty of places where you won't get fired for wearing Jfashion, you may even get lots of compliments. The problem is that nearly all of these jobs are low level positions without much room for advancement. If you have zero career goals then go ahead.

>You need to learn how to dress well as a normie.
It honestly will help you with your Jfashion looks, and maybe if you don't look like shit in western clothes you won't be so desperate to wear Jfashion at inappropriate times. Having a good eye for normie fashion, particularly work appropriate stuff, will allow you to add Jfashion inspired elements with out looking like an unprofessional weirdo.
>>
>>9011830
/thread
>>
>>9011274
Gyaru for the lazy days? The hair, make-up, and nails take more work to take care of than lolita. Lolita is more complex in clothes and accs, but that's quite easy to put on.
>>
>>9011274
I work at a Japanese game company, and we can wear whatever we want. I dress in himekaji, and no one really bats an eye. I gotta say that himekaji -being feminine but still casual-, is a style that generally seems to be viewed positive rather than negative by basic people. OTT styles just seem difficult, even working at a game company, I wouldn't do that.
>>
>>9011844
nails are done at a salon though they're not neccessary. Hair is usually worn straight down for gyaru at work and if you have some experience the makeup can be done as fast as 'natural' makeup.
When I was still in high school it only took me like half an hour to 45min to get the perf gyaru look.

Also, for me it's more lazy, because I'm not forced to run around with a petti all day but can wear pretty much whatever clothes I want
>>
>>9011330
No one works while wearing OTT J-Fashion.
>>
>>9012350
I do know some everyday fairy kei and lolita people who definitly work in their ott clothes. But I'm too shy to ask them in person
>>
File: vintage school.png (190 KB, 284x373) Image search: [Google]
vintage school.png
190 KB, 284x373
I wore this jsk to my work's 'casual friday' to see how it would go over. With a cardigan, no wig, white tights and black flats it'd definitely a toned down lolita and I'd never wear any OTT prints.

Even still though I got a lot of 'omg it's so cute, you look so cute anon like those Japanese girls' comments so it might have been a bit much. I'm sweet lolita so it's kind of harder to get the feel into my everyday work, not sure how to work it in.

I work at a call center btw so it's not like anyone sees me but we have to look somewhat professional because share holders come in once a week on a scheduled and can drop in any time.
>>
>>9011830
You might have a point there. I'm happy with my job but I've still got a "Junior" in front of my title after two years.
>>
>>9013086
nope, I finished highschool at the age of 20 and started using makeup when I was about 11. I finished it late because I had an exchange year at a japanese high school. So, I was pretty good at makeup lol
but desu I looked like shit when I was about 14-16 during my overweight, extreme weeb phase and I still feel emberassed
>>
I work in a small office doing online legal work, and my bosses are very chill (the president and vicepresident are two married gay dudes) and I can wear literally whatever as long as I do my job and not distract anyone. I have gone into work with pink hair, in my pajamas, in torn jeans and sneakers... I just made sure to look professional on the interview and the first weeks at the job and then slowly phase it out. I also am very good at what I do so nobody cares what I wear. I live in Europe though.
>>
>>9013128
I'm from a country where education incl HS took 13years. I got into elementary when I was 6years old so, now count. Lot's of people in my year and the years above me were 20 or even older when graduating, it has been normal until it got reformed
>>
>>9013156
Denmark?
>>
>>9013162
very close

>>9013168
>>9013174
desu it's very comfortable if you have some more time to learn stuff. In the EU you'll most likely have to write essays in every class so it's pretty stressy. In other countries you get these easy multiple choice or question and answer tests where you only need to learn things by heart without actually need to learn how they work aka think about them, that's pretty chill and costs less of time, but you'll also miss a lot of stuff
>>
>>9013208
we learn more, which was the main point of 13 years of education. as mentioned before, outside of the eu, you mainly have multiple choice tests or question X answer tests. You don't need to write essays in the length of a book to get a decent grade, also there's def no sense in talking to stupid amifags. U can't even get over your own shameful history
>>
File: casualcutebusinesscasual.png (2 MB, 1372x1570) Image search: [Google]
casualcutebusinesscasual.png
2 MB, 1372x1570
If you work in a business casual setting I think this kind of thing could be 'casual cute' but still work appropriate. Of course women who present as very girly in the workplace tend to not be taken as seriously, but if you're confident in your value to your company (and that people will still understand that no matter how much pink you're wearing) or if you're like me and just really hate how you feel in non-girly clothes, this might be a good middle ground for some of you.

Some western brands that are good are places like Anthropologie, Charlotte Ruse, and Kate Spade. In terms of japanese brands I feel like Liz Lisa has enough toned down stuff that you can sometimes find work appropriate things there, too.

I think the name of the game is bringing in cute elements while sticking to the general 'rules' of business casual: blouse, conservative skirt, slacks, or chinos, and optional sweater and/or statement necklace.

Of coursed all of this only applies if you're 'young' enough to be trendy without it being out of place (probably no older than mid-30's, although it also depends per person; people get old at different rates)
>>
>>9013230
>>
>>9013230
my problem is that I hate pants, I don't fit pants that aren'T stretchy because I have a large booty but a very slim waist. I'd just love to wear skirts or joggers everyday. I'm a total mess
>>
File: business-casual.jpg (51 KB, 640x966) Image search: [Google]
business-casual.jpg
51 KB, 640x966
>>9013239
skirts are appropriate in business casual as long as they're conservative. Pencil skirts of many colors are totally appropriate typically, and even full skirts seem to be ok as long as they're long enough and relatively plain, from what I've noticed.
>>
File: 4134792_IMG_5447.jpg (157 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
4134792_IMG_5447.jpg
157 KB, 560x560
>>9013242
>>
File: 3976658_IG1.jpg (90 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
3976658_IG1.jpg
90 KB, 560x560
>>9013244
>>
>>9013245
>>
>>9013249
I think a dress this short would need some tights underneath for modesty in most business casual offices, but you get the idea
>>
>>9013250
this could become lightly jfashioney with slightly different colors, I think

anyway that's the end of my mini-dump.

I can't personally wear any of this since I'm a startup programmer and it honestly is t-shirts and jeans as far as the eye can see. I'd love some tips for how to pull off programmer casual cute. There's got to be a way to bring some cute into my work clothes in a subtle way, right?
>>
Getting back to the actual topic now. I used to work three jobs and I wore lolita to two of them. Most of my jobs didnt involve seeing clients though. First job was at a theatre working as a seamstress. My only problem was getting mistaken for someone acting in the plays. My supervisor and other people coming in and out never had a problem with it. On the other hand, I had a problem with them touching and pulling my dresses. I get that its normal for costumers to always want to feel fabrics but asking would be nice before yanking on my dress. I also wore mahou kei a few times but no one was too concerned. Second job was retail at a high end jewellery store so I wore normie clothes. Black leggings, heels and a shirt with a cardigan.
Third job is as a graphic designer for an overseas company. I only interact over the phone and emails so I can obviously wear whatever I want since I'm sitting in my room. In my free time I sell in Artist Alley so I go full blown OTT lolita ( kinda a job. At least I wish it was my full time job).

I think it really depends on where you work rather than what you wear. Also keeping body parts fairly hidden. Im sure if I had worn short shorts to my theatre job then my supervisor would have had a talk with me.
>>
>>9013282
Took too long to write up post. We already got back on topic lol whoops.
>>
I work at a worker's comp insurance doing medical billing and coding. I have to dress professionally, but my skirts always have a little poof.
>>
>>9013239
There's always the option to get them altered professionally. It will cost more, but you'll have them customized to fit you so they will feel better. Worth it!
>>
Tech support worker here, dress code is very lax save for short-shorts or showing shoulders. Other than that, we have people with rainbow hair, piercings, pajamas, kumigi-whatevers (those full body animal pajama suits) and even had what you kids call an '"ita".
>>
When I had an office job I used to bring elements of goth and lolita (some blouses, mostly accessories, a few plain IW jsks) into my work clothes, slowly getting them used to my style. So when October rolled around and I wore spooky accessories every day for a month no one batted an eyelid.

I really hated that job by the end but I do miss wearing cute stuff (except in the winter when my office was too cold for anything except blanket chic).

On the other hand I love my job now and being a PhD student, but museums and fieldwork are not glamorous and I only get to dress nicely for interviews and conferences. e.g. today I had to get to work an hour early on a Sunday with my hard hat, steel toe cap boots and a dust mask, because the ceiling fell down in part of the historic building and I needed to save as much of the furniture as possible... I wouldn't mind but that plaster got redone like 5 years ago...
>>
I wish I could wear anything cute to my job, but it involves so much schlepping through the great outdoors and digging in dirt that all my work clothes must remain strictly practical. I sometimes wonder if there are ways I could dress my practical clothes up a bit and be the kawaii park ranger I always wanted to be.
>>
>>9020234
don't take this serious, but ad rubber ribbons and wear hello kitty rubber boots. omg I'm sorry for this really, but it just came to my head
>>
>>9011311
Ugh this. We don't have dress code so I /can/ wear it to work but every time I do I get uncomfortable after my 9 hour day. Plus it's not as fun as actually going out and doing stuff bc no one here gives a fuck. I'm just sitting at a desk where no one can see my coord anyway.
>>
I'm an IT technician and my supervisor doesn't give a damn what we wear as long as it isn't shorts and we don't smell. I've only worn lolita to work once so far but nobody seemed to mind. Even my boss's boss liked it. They all thought it was square dancing related. It was just a simple black jsk with a cardigan over it, and I kept the accessories simple and put my hair half up. I would never go OTT or wear any complicated prints because I work at a college and I don't want to attract the weebs that hang around.
>>
I'm a 30 year old male attorney who doesn't cosplay (I just think cgl is neat. It's like a totally different world for me. Also I like the cringe and regretsy threads).

I sometimes get asked to interview people with a senior lawyer, and I have two paralegals that I boss around.

I'm sure you could unpack all the ways this is sexist or otherwise inappropriate, but I would be highly critical of an attorney who showed up to work in j-fashion or Lolita stuff. An accent here and there isn't an issue, but the whole shebang is. And perhaps there are more subdued styles I am not aware of, but I am talking about the more distinctive ones.

Paralegals or other office staff dressing like that wouldn't really be an issue though.

Why is it an issue for the attorney? It's too aberrant for most clients, although you might get some leeway if you're a genius and you work in the right niche. Why isn't it a problem for the paralegals then? Well, they're just the help. :^)

It's really not appropriate for court either, at least the ones I appear in. You have to look really nice in court, but there's a line and j-fash/Lolita crosses it. You won't see me in a tailcoat and hat, picking up my mantle and cane from the cloakroom after a long day of arguing motions. Court is serious and the way you present yourself there is purposeful, especially in a jury trial. There's exceptions to every rule of course, and some lawyers will affect a disheveled or eccentric appearance and demeanor as a tactic, but generally speaking it's not really the place for self-expression or fashion risks.
>>
>>9020518

Thanks for stating the obvious. Lawyers are uptight dickwads and always will be.
>>
>>9020518
Wow, a barrister? Impressive! Good for you, friend! Unfortunately, this is a cosplay/lolita board, so nobody cares :)

You're welcome to fuck off to >>>/biz/ and feed your ego there, however. Good luck!
>>
>>9020540
>>9020544
I was under the impression that this thread was for discussing the wearing of this board's preferred fashions in a professional setting. I have offered my opinion as a normie and someone who occasionally interviews and supervises others. I would think that would have some merit.

I'm not disparaging anyone's personal style, but there are things that don't belong at some workplaces.
>>
>>9020547

Your contribution seemed to be

>I am a professional and I boss around
>lol you silly girls trying to put jfash into your work!

While boasting you're in a field that is infamous for relying on looks and appearances.

I mean, what are you contributing to this thread?
>>
Don't let your feefees get hurt, just because a man told you what to do. Nobody cared when >>9011830 said you shouldn't wear jfashion at work
>>
>>9020558
Meant to reply to >>9020555
>>
>>9020555
Well it certainly wasn't my intent to come off that way, I'm sorry that's how you perceived it. My point was that it's not appropriate in my field. I'm not sure why that made you so upset, but whatever.
>>
>>9020558
Men should be put in their place, which this board is not.
>>
>>9020563
By "men" do you mean normie-ish men (no true normie would be on 4chan), because there seem to be plenty of guys that post here.
>>
>>9020558

Eh, I disagree with that point you quoted. I don't wear full on lolita to work, but I do sometimes wear Jfash and I'm in a professional field. But I also have lots of independence and mobility and my work tends to be more valued than my looks. Hell, you can see posts boasting about how people in my field sport full sleeve tattoos, etc. In fact, some people at my work flaunt it during summer. So while I think it would apply in general, it's definitely more of a generalization than a rule.
>>
I work retail and spend my time on the floor interacting with customers. I actually enjoy my job a lot.

Our dress code was super loose for the longest time. We were allowed to wear jeans, have our hair dyed (unobtrusive colors and in small amounts), and even wearing leggings and bright colored heels. I wore frilly blouses, cute hair clips, and printed tights all the time. Unfortunately, some people took it too far: wearing shirts with no backs, sagging their pants, dying all of their hair atrocious colors. So our code got cracked down on.

I think we can still wear jeans, but they gave us mandatory aprons to wear. Everyone gripes about them, but hey, more pockets. We're also going to be getting new polos that we have to wear at all times. I'm not sure what color they are. But when I get them, i plan to construct a pretty work wardrobe around them.

They can take away my ability to wear cute, frilly blouses to work. So i'm going to see how much I can push with printed skirts and tights.
>>
>>9020518
What rubbed everyone the wrong way is that you started off by identifying yourself as male. You could have said attorney and left it at that.
If you've been here long, you would learn that board culture frowns upon this. It's a common thing for guys to start off their posts with that phrase in the mindset that it somehow makes their post have more value when it doesn't. Usually it's guys passing through that have no idea what we're talking about in our other strictly fashion related threads, yet expect us to take them seriously. For example, it is totally appropriate to incorporate elements of larme into work attire. Larme is a sophisticated style that frequently makes use of muted colors, pencil skirts, mock turtle necks, and other modest elements. Of course a male not interested in fashion wouldn't know this.

Also, no one is impressed by bragging here, such as when you added the part about bossing people around. This information was not needed and seemed to be thrown in to make yourself look good.

Otherwise, your post was relevant to discussion. Just a fyi for the future.
>>
>>9020618
Well I thought my being male was relevant to the opinion I was expressing. I thought my female twin might see things differently.

The "bragging" was a joke. I rely on my paralegals for everything. They're people, not objects that I command. I think we'll chalk that up to not being able to intuit tone or facial patterns through a text medium.

I appreciate your explanation, but you still seem very defensive. Ignorance isn't necessarily chauvinism or ill intent, you don't always need to jump down someone's throat when they offer an innocent opinion. I'll keep that in mind the next time I think about posting here or approaching one of you in person. Sheesh.
>>
>>9020640
Jesus Christ, stop while your ahead. >>9020618 very nicely responded to you and explained why people don't give a shit about what you think. If you think they're mean or defensive you don't belong on this board.
>>
I work at a children's hospital and although the dress code varies between business semi formal and smart casual, and you can do colourful and cute (animal prints etc), j fashion wouldn't really fit in. Generally, surgeons wear scrubs or suits, medical specialties are as casual as all-black leather chucks, chinos and a polo for the guys, and you can do smart pants, turtleneck, and cardigan with ballet flats for females, and allied health (pharmacy, physio, OT, play therapy etc) can get away with t shirt jeans and sneakers. The closest I come to lolita/jfash is the occasional blouse/cutsew and a few axes femme/ETC skirts and blouses (but not styled in a jfash way). I'm also still quite junior so rocking the style boat probably wouldn't help me.

>>9011830
This, unless you work in a creative industry or are so at the top of your game that it doesn't matter then alternative j fash=/=work clothes for the majority of "career" fields. There are exceptions to this but you can't expect it as a rule for any specific job type as it depends on your workplace culture, your own skill level/value to your employer

>>9013255
Cute prints on t shirts? Cute accessories?
>>
>>9020640
You seem to be laboring under the mistaken impression that you have been conversing with the same anonymous person ever since your initial post. >>9020618 is clearly not one of those who responded to you earlier, so I don't know why you're accusing her of jumping down your throat. Sage for stupid.
>>
>>9020701
I'm going to be entering the medical field soon (as a nurse practioner). I have no plans of wearing jfashion to work but do you find that you have the time/energy to wear jfashion on your days off? I'm worried that I won't be able to and really dreading the prospect of becoming some shlubby dresser from lack of time.
>>
>>9020826
>>9020826
>nurse practitioner

maybe if you had a real job in the medical feild you'd be too tired but not with that one.
>>
>>9020855
:^) good to know I won't be too tired in the medical feild!
>>
I never had a job where I couldn't wear what I want but that's probably common in a lot of european countries in jobs that don't require an uniform.
>>
>>9020826

What sort of NP anon?

Not other anon - I'm a medical resident right now in family med, and honestly it's a bit hard to find the time. But if you feel dressing up re-energizes you, you should definitely find the time for it. I find it really hard right now as I'm on service in the hospital and working night shift, but hanging out and doing fun things this past weekend in otome kei really revitalized me. I think it's an issue of work life balance, and you just have to find that balance that works for you.

In any case, best of luck! I'm sure you'll do well wherever you end up!

>>9020952

Where I lived in the EU it was common for people to dress in more feminine clothing. Here, it's a bit shocking to people if I wear a dress to work for some reason. I don't know if it applies to the rest of the EU but they seem to have a pretty good fashion sense compared to at least where I'm living right now.
>>
>>9020993
Thank you anon, that was the sort of honest answer I was looking for. I will be in family med as well. I'm going to take your answer to heart and just find a good work life balance.

I wish you well too! Thank you again for responding!
>>
File: tumblr_o0ae3t0Rpi1qecu65o1_500.jpg (285 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0ae3t0Rpi1qecu65o1_500.jpg
285 KB, 500x750
I work in the games industry, and my coworkers love seeing classic lolita and gothic lolita. I don't wear lolita every day, but I do at least once every other week, usually on Friday. OTT gothic only happens on Halloween, because why should I not participate in the visual fun when every other person comes in wearing their cosplay, and the entire marketing team suited up as the Power Rangers.

I don't wear sweet lolita to work, but a friend of mine (also in games) does it with mature sweet coords.

Generally for lolita fashion at work, I stick to a blouse-and-skirt combo. JSKs and OPs tend to look a little less formal. But you can amp up the formality by putting a blazer over it. I keep a blazer in my desk drawer, and when a meeting rolls around, I put it on, and I'm the first to enter and last to leave in the conference room. Any stuffy bigwigs coming to visit only sees a nice blazer with a ruffled blouse when I'm sitting down.

To work I avoid wearing prints, save for generic ones like stripes and small florals. Solid pieces where the cut or pleats are the focal point are generally a good bet. Think solids from IW, florals from MM, gothic coats from Boz, and military lolita skirts and jackets from taobao indie brands. Fanny Rosie's outfits for work generally are pretty in-line with a lot of office dress codes (she worked as a translator in an office in Montreal before moving to Okinawa).

Get at least one pair of high-quality heels: skip the pleather shit of lolita brands, and go for well-constructed, cute shoes made with real leather (Naturalizer, Clarks, Fluevogs).

My friends who wear lolita to work all do so in an office setting, and usually in some sort of tech-related or artistic field, like programming or design. Especially in the field of programming, there is a very low level of formality in terms of dress (t-shirt and jeans being the norm), so as long as you get your work done and done well, nobody will bat an eye at you wearing a poofy dress.
>>
>>9017369
Most people graduate high school and enter college at 18-19 in the US. I graduated at 17 just because the ages vary a bit based on individual school systems.
>>
>>9020826
To be honest it's up to you. I shower and change when I come home because I don't really want to be colonised with hospital bugs, but I don't usually change into lolita. At the moment I usually manage lolita once a week to once a fortnight, but I could do three to four times a week if I wanted. It's just not worth it to me if I'm not leaving the house at all though, kigurumi and general loungewear are much more comfortable and practical for cooking etc.
>>
>>9011864
>Japanese game company
Square?
>>
I'm a paediatric nurse, so obviously I can't wear lolita to work when I'm working but I sometimes visit my kids on my days off wearing it. The older ones like seeing the fancy outfits and some of the little ones think they are being looked after by a princess, which makes them really happy. I'm generally quite shy/awkward about it if people ask me what I'm wearing or if they called me a princess in the streets, but the kids like it so much so I do it anyway.

>tfw there is a group of 5-7 year old who get excited when 'Nurse Princess' is the one covering their part of the ward

I love it, they are so sweet. Also I have managed to never get any puke/blood on any of my burando, which is pretty amazing for a kids ward lol
>>
>>9020562
Are you retarded or just trolling? I'm a law student and a lolita and that was the first thing they told us as 1Ls. Anyone who went to law school knows not to wear it to court. That's why I have a closet full of designer suits. If I wanted to come to court in brands like Atelier Boz, I'm quite sure I could, as I clerked for one of the most popular judges in my area and know pretty much everyone, from clerks to baliffs, to attorneys. Also stop posting like a pompous douche. No one cares
>>
I seem to have a similar but opposite problem. I work from home and I just can't bring myself to not wear pajamas every day. It's an awful habit and I hate it, but at the same time getting all dressed up is so impractical if I'm just going to be staying inside all day slaving over my computer.
>>
>tfw in the medical field (x-ray tech) and basically restricted to scavenging for non-garish, cute scrub prints

Not much else I can do besides wear flattering cuts and coordinate colours. Might look into purchasing a cute badge reel off Etsy someday when my current one wears out.
>>
>>9023289
Nice work! It's coming up winter here so I don't think I'll be wearing brand any time soon - too many droplet-spread infections including noro.

>>9025345
At least you have money for frills in your non work time?
>>
>>9027901
Thats a good point actually, I do tend to avoid anything that i cant chuck in a hot wash when it gets to extra-infectious seasons haha
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.