[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosplay Photography Is Really, Really Hard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 14
File: photographers.jpg (166 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
photographers.jpg
166 KB, 500x333
Everything's a fucking battle in cosplay photography. You have to put up with so much shit, and for what? 20 dollars an hour? Please.

Tell us why we should keep putting up with your attitudes and shooting you for well below market rates for portrait photography.
>>
>>9003639
Because you chose a laughable job and need the money.
>>
>>9003639
Get thicker skin
>>
File: 1431606683329.jpg (63 KB, 458x428) Image search: [Google]
1431606683329.jpg
63 KB, 458x428
>>9003639
Because you're desperate for the cash in an environment where you're expendable
>>
Photog here. Whether it's because you like being able to nerd out with others during the course of taking photos, because you like the character you're photographing, or otherwise, you should be doing cosplay photography because you get something enjoyable about it. The money you are paid is just so you aren't going completely emptyhanded materially. Like you said, you're shooting below market rates for portraits. Nothing is stopping you from going and doing professional photography but yourself. If you want good money go make good money.

I'm not even sure what you mean by battle. Is it getting clients/advertising? Dealing with different personalities? Paying for your gear? Surprise surprise, you have to deal with that in the real world too. Anything that is client driven means you're doing the same things. If the rates in cosplay photography were the same as professional photography it'd be even worse because then you'd have even more people who are pro swooping in to get some of the pie.
>>
>>9003639
Wow, you must really suck. I charge $150 an hour and I get filled up in every convention.
>>
>>9003744
hi lauren pihl
>>
>>9003639
Is this "cosplay with me" bitching again?
>>
File: received_1043468852363031.jpg (12 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
received_1043468852363031.jpg
12 KB, 250x250
Tfw I recently paid $600 for headshots

Cosplay photography is usually pretty barebones shit man. You've got a camera and a questionable degree of skill, pictures are usually taken at the con and you probably didn't bring lighting equipment or even a bounce.. so your photos are not guaranteed to be any good.

I pay top dollar for a photog with over a decade of experience, a studio, equipment, editing skills that aren't going to be used to change things I don't want changed, and prints.

Cosplsy photography is pretty much a hobby, you go to a con and take pictures with minimal prep.. if you don't enjoy yourself at that con, enjoy the people your with, etc. start taking pictures of something else.
>>
>>9003794
OP here. You know, I probably would have taken better headshots.
>>
>>9003813
maybe you should get into the headshot game and stop bitching about not making money from cosplay photography. you're basically a fry cook at mcdonalds bitching about how they are paying him minimum wage. you're in the wrong company if you want to make money off cooking.
>>
>>9003813
If you are OP and really saying that, I highly disagree. You wouldn't be bitching about how "cosplay photography is hard" if you knew anything. scrub
>>
>>9003876
maybe he does know what he's doing but just sucks ass at the people side of things and he can't get anyone to shoot with him. then again if he knew what he was doing people would go to him just because he was good
>>
>>9003639
sounds like someone needs to git gud
>>
>>9003676
">"Photog here. Whether it's because you like being able to nerd out with others during the course of taking photos, because you like the character you're photographing, or otherwise, you should be doing cosplay photography because you get something enjoyable about it. The money you are paid is just so you aren't going completely emptyhanded materially. Like you said, you're shooting below market rates for portraits. Nothing is stopping you from going and doing professional photography but yourself. If you want good money go make good money.

This right here. I do cosplay photography because, I'm one of the biggest geeks you'll ever meet, and doing portraits and family pictures would bore hell out of me. I like to think that cosplay photography is basically the photo version of doujinshi. The cosplay photographer does it not because he or she expects to make a ton of money, but because of a love for the characters.
>>
>>9003639
Those are some cheap head shots, I see the going rate for non LA 700 and LA I have seen some stupid high prices like 1200
>>
>>9003899
Who are you? This is amazing and I feel you have quantified why I do this. I may steal this quote from you.
>>
>>9003639
Not very long ago it was extremely rare to see photographers charging anything for Cosplay related photoshoots. Just about all of the more well knowns would shoot based on the popularity of the cosplayer or the quality of the costume itself. Coupled with the fact that they were there for enjoyment, not to make money. I know this is really hard for newer photographers to understand, but if you bought your equipment for cosplay shoots you are a moron.
>>
Okay so, I've got a couple questions. How do you guys deal with cosplays pulling absolute bullshit with you, while also maintaining a decent rep.

I get paid usually about 30-40 per hour shoot, I'm no one incredible, but i'm not awful either. Still learning, and fuck if i'm not terrified to get everyone exactly what they want. I've had multiple cosplayers walk all over me, and i'm not sure how to even go about confronting them about anything, or if I should just suck it up and make a note to never shoot for them again?

Also, how do other people deal with cosplayers asking literally 2 days after the con if their photos are ready? Like, do they think they're the only person I shot? That I don't have a day job? That the trip home is a short one? Christ.
>>
>>9003993
Just curious for an example of "walking all over you"

However. To prevent things it all comes down to having a set of ground rules. (Really help if you have all this in a sign up sheet or in details of however you are accepting shoots). That including but not limited to; amount of finished promised photos. Time frame in which photos will be completed. (This depends on your style of editing if you do retouching, color grading/correction).

As for dealing with people who ask for photos right after a con, if you have nothing in writing, then you can just say they are being worked on when you have time outside of your day job.
>>
>>9003639

>20 dollars an hour? Please.

i design buildings and i get paid $20/hour. stop complaining.
>>
>>9003639
and people put up with more shit for 7$ a hour literally cleaning up people's shit.
I get paid 20$ a hour but it's more physical labor
>>
>>9004310
>>9004272
Photographers have to pay for their own gear and usually don't get paid for post-prod work. 20$/h isn't a lot when you have to show up with 2.5k$ worth of equipment.
>>
>>9004413

i had to pay for college to get my bachelors which is required for my field. that cost a little bit more than $2,500.

your compensation depends on the quality of your product, if you don't like $20/hour, then produce better work or move to a different market that isn't notorious for being stingy/broke all the time. as much as i wish it were so, people don't get paid based on our passionate or patient they are.
>>
>>9004413

also,
>usually don't get paid for post-prod work

that's on you, man. you should have either built that into your rate or list it as an added cost on a paper contract. clients will *always* try to get free work out of you, so it's up to you to say no or to convince them that it shouldn't be free.
>>
>>9004096
People showing up with more than twice the number of people they said I would be shooting is so far the most common one. And then not wanting to pay extra when suddenly a 4 person group is a 10 person group.
Honestly, I don't want to refuse them outright, because i'm still being paid... but 10 people is a lot more work. And thats 10 people giving me dirty looks and posting online about shitty service if I say no.

Also, people asking for discounts for doing multiple shoots. I had a girl who was young ask, and I tried to be understanding because young kid and money... but she ended up wanting a lot more than my usual shoots, and I was dreading every session. She kind ruined that whole weekend for me, all because I didn't want to come off as a dick.

I've since made a lot of tweaks to my shoot rules to hopefully stop that shit, but man, i'm kind of a pushover.
>>
>>9003747
so either Jason Chau, Mineralblu, Adam Wright or Felix Wong causing drama with this call out
>>
>>9003639
You shouldn't. Go get a real job and stop expecting shallow girls who can't even pay their own bills to pay yours.
>>
>>9005458
In your pre-con communication, remind your client about your extra-person rates, and to text you if they're bringing more people because they may need more slotted time. When they show up with more people, mind them of the rates and mention you'll add an extra 15-30 minutes to the shoot or whatever, and is that okay? If they say no, tell them you'd be happy to shoot with the original four people then.

>People asking for discounts
Offer $5 off the next shoot if you're feeling super guilty. That way you look like you're being generous but not letting a one-off cosplayer take advantage of your rates. In general, try to sound like you're compromising or offering them alternatives to "no shoot at all" while still holding your ground.

>>9007636
If you think that lauren pihl isn't a common "to avoid" name here, you must be new.
>>
>>9004413
Do you think that you're the only profession that has out of pocket equipment costs? I know that my equipment will make my job easier in the end and that pay off is worth it.

If you're not factoring in your post production work into your rates, thats your own fault. Either up your rates and find a less broke target market or don't edit at all.
>>
Tfw all thenphotogs in your comm do it for free because they recognise it is also a hobby and that it is a 50/50 stake with cosplayers who spend time, effort and money on costumes. Much like them and their photography gear.
>>
>>9003639
You should bolster your portfolio to charge more.

Do "free" shoots of really pretty cosplayers and cosplayers with big boobs and spread it all over your social media. That will get the ball rolling.
>>
>>9003639
You should pay them $20 and sell the photos to someone else, profit from them some how. Like others have said, use girls with big boobs.. maybe some bbw's
>>
>>9008240
Yeah, it's not like anyone ever reads the contracts they sign, as proven by that guy who started making body pillows of cosplayers who modeled for him.
>>
>>9008243
That body pillow guy didn't even have releases signed, and the few he did were forgeries. He claimed to have had people sign papers the year before, but all his copies on his ipad had typed in names on the signature line, instead of actually scans of the signed originals
>>
>>9003639
Because no respectable person would pay you anything for the kind of shitty photos you put out. Stop tilting so much, stop being shitty editors, stop being lazy editors, stop spending all your paychecks on gear that still makes your photos look shitty because you don't know how to use it.
Actual, professional photographers are leagues ahead of you.
>>
>>9004272
You design buildings? Engineers average a good $45/hr though...
>>
>>9008374
Huh, that's not what I heard. That goes beyond immoral and into criminal. I'm shocked no one sued him if that's the case.
>>
>>9008405
This. Good models aren't going to pay you if your work doesn't add value. If your work isn't going to help me book future work , we aren't Doing business.
>>
>>9008405

this. GWCs at cons think they're "professionals" because they bought a DSLR and charge for photos. meanwhile i know photographers that work with celebrities like snoop, jack white, etc. and yet they don't act like they're god's gift to instagram.
>>
>>9008405
I'm an actual professional who also does cosplay.

I shoot cosplay for free because I want it to be fun and I want to be able to take my time with editing and releasing photos. I'm currently feeling pretty bad because I still have a bunch of shoots from ALA to finish and I've just been so beat from other stuff in my life that it's hard to face buckling down and editing.

For what it's worth I'm not very good at editing, though. I'm fine when it comes to doing color, contrast, filtering, stuff like that, but my skin editing is really rough because I don't do it at all in my "real life." (I'm a magazine feature photographer and pixel-level editing isn't kosher in photojournalism, even going too far with color and white balance tweaks can get you fired.)
>>
>>9008510
What is the difference between a GWC and a photographer? I mean being male with a camera pretty much makes everyone a GWC.
>>
What kind of people would even choose that as their job?

Seriously, you deserve this shit. No one worth more than 20 dollars would ever get into this anyway.
>>
>>9008908
Gwc is used to refer to a specific type of person who is just a guy who happens to have a camera and doesn't know what makes a photo good. It's like saying golden retriever instead of dog.
>>
>>9008431
Target teens, they don't know better. That's the moral of the story for scammers to scam stupid kids and teens at AnimeNEXT
>>
>>9008908
GWC take photos of people they find hot/attractive. They don't know most of the basics of photography, or they just outright ignore it.

Photographers vary, but at least they know the basics of photography, framing/composition, lighting, exposure, and shit like that. Not all are good at editing, because some fields of the photography world require little to zero editing, like photojournalist and stock photographers. In fact, you can get fired for altering your photos too much. However, photographers are also getting paid.

I laugh at photographers claiming to get paid at cons charging $30 for an hour shoot, because even after minimal/minor editing, you're working below minimum wage. You want to do it for fun, then just do that. Accept tips, better that way. If you're charging though, raise your prices, if you're good.

And if you're getting paid, FUCKING communicate with cosplayers if you're running late on delivering photos. I tell cosplayers I'll get the photos back to them within 2 weeks, but usually I can get it back to them within 1-3 days, but I pad in extra time in cause I get sick or I have a lot of work in my day job and freelance jobs. I do photography after my day job as a freelancer too.
>>
>>9013011
There are scammers and Anime NEXT?
>>
>>9004413
dat backasswards logic
>>
>>9008051
This. Yes.
"Most" of the togs in my comm are chill as well and understand that this is just a hobby, and will generally shoot majority of people at cons and are happy to shoot out of cons for free as well. They'll only ever consider charging if the said cosplayer intends to profit from the photos taken.

The ones that actually take photography seriously realise that cosplay isn't the best option for real work and have jobs elsewhere.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463805342323.jpg (84 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463805342323.jpg
84 KB, 1200x801
>>9014580
Yes and inb4 you get what you pay for. This was a private photoshoot done for free. Fire effects aren't shooped either
>>
>>9015434
Tbh this doesn't look very good. Something about it reminds me of some lame graphic someone would make on a bad proboards signature.
>>
>>9015439
the fire was unnecessary and the fog seems a bit over the top. less could have been more.
>>
Aesthetics aside I think the point is clear though. My personal opinion is that money bogs down the partnership with too much obligation and creates a barrier to collaboration.
>>
Hey cosplayers, I'm curious about how much your perception of a photog is affected by their camera.

I just switched from a full-frame Nikon system to a Fuji like this, and it'll be interesting to see what people at cons think of it. It's a full-featured professional system and not exactly cheap, but it's also very nondescript.

What would you guys think if a photog showed up to a shoot with one of these instead of the usual big Nikon or Canon?
>>
>>9018036

i don't mind it, but i know a bit about photography myself and i can tell that's not a basic point and shoot camera.
>>
>>9018036
OMG PROFESHHHIONALLLLLLLL or Felix Wong
>>
>>9003639
Hows your photography coming along?
Has the weekend changed the outlook on your budding career?
>>
>>9015434
Impressive, is that you in the picture..

The script is a little corny, looks like something out of a PS2 game. Aside from that it looks cool
>>
>>9003639
You should be asking yourself that because you’re the one that decided to take up cosplay photography lmao
You aren’t doing it for cosplayers, you are doing it because you like taking pictures of them right? otherwise just get a real job if you can’t handle it.

>git gud or git out
>>
>>9018036
If they just have one camera , maybe one other lense, then I assume they are just point and shoot.

If they have multiple lenses plus a few other pro-looking things like a reflector, then I assume better quality.

And then when the photos of the point and shoot come out better than the guy with all the stuff I just think back to the guy with the stuff and think
If they are going to spend all that money to take photos, the least they could do for themselves is learn how to use it.
>>
>>9018036
I'm a long time cosplayer but newish to photography and not very aware of different camera frames I'd probably assume this was lower quality than a hunking Nikon/Canon. Maybe assume it was somewhere between a crop dslr and point-shoot.
Average cosplayer with no camera knowledge will probably just assume it isn't as good since it the "quality" photo norm.
>>
In my scene there's a recent push towards shitty photographers. It feels like on Facebook Event Pages and Groups there's more advertisement for piss-poor paid photoshoots than actual posts regarding the community, cosplays, excitement, etc. It's sad, and has really come about only in the past year or so. Now one of the largest cons in the area has gone on the record saying "No paid shoots on convention property unless you're also in the photo alley" and it caused quite a stink
>>
>>9018739
>>9018743
That's about what I figured, I guess.

Somewhere between a crop DSLR and a P&S actually isn't that bad of a description, actually, since the guts of this thing are similar to those of a top of the line crop DSLR. It's actually a much higher-quality system, though. It'll also probably a lot more obvious that it's not a P&S in real life, since it's much bigger than one.

I'm not that personally concerned, since the people I do shoots with either know me or know my work, but I was still curious what cosplayers in general would think of something so different from the usual hulking DSLR setups.
>>
>>9018713
Nope it isn't

>>9018036
Speaking as a cosplayer with some very basic idea of photography. I'd let anyone shoot and upload pictures of me at a con as long as they ask nicely, even if they were just taking pictures with their mobilephones. I guess I don't really mind either way, but if i get a good photo I'll keep tabs on the photographer via social media.
>>
>>9008420
Depends on the country a lot. I'm a software developer and I only make $10/hr
>>
>>9018036
you need to put a big lens on it.
>>
>>9003676
I wish pros would swoop in. Most photographers have no idea what I'm cosplaying from, and as long as neither a cosplay photographer nor a pro photographer knows the character, I'd pay pro rates for reliably flattering photos.
>>
>>9018746
Good! Weed out the leeches! More cons should require a photographer badge for photographers who just attend cons to book paid shoots. As long as they can enforce them sending out photos and give some leeway for setting up equipment. That way I can stop hearing about all the bitching they do.

Wah! I can't set up a light stand! Wah! I can't charge because I have a press pass! Wah! Security kicked me out for not having a badge!
>>
>>9019483
WTF! McDonalds workers by me make $9.50 an hour
>>
>>9020008
The point is most cosplayers can't afford pro rates and now you have entitled POS even bitching about $30 being too much for an hour.
>>
>>9020008
I'm pretty sure the process would be alot more enjoyable if you got a photographer who shared your love for whatever you are cosplaying, and had the same excitement in delivering a photoshoot project. You don't necessarily have to shell out money to get photographs. Getting to know photographers, socializing and sharing series you like are what I feel good ways to get some attention to the series you like.

And hell, the world is a big place, there's definitely a decent photographer out there who has heard of who you are cosplaying
>>
>>9019416
>Nope it isn't

Uhm.. okay. You're welcome?
Perhaps you'd take a smack in the mouth better than you would a compliment
>>
>>9020008
What do you cosplay as? Niche characters? And if you want to pay pro rates there's nothing stopping you from doing so because they're right there waiting for you to call them.
>>
>>9020269
>Impressive, is that you in the picture..
that was the question they were answering, dipshit.
>>
>>9003639
And now you understand how the economy works.
>>
>>9019837
Haha, I guess I'll have to keep my lens hoods on to make them look bigger.

Nah, not really. I think it'll probably be obvious that I know what I'm doing, plus like I say I mostly do photoshoots with people who either know me or who've found me through my page, so I don't really need my gear to make me look serious.

Actually, here's another question for the cosplayers here: would you guys be interested in being photographed on film as well as digital? I recently got a Hasselblad, and it's such a classic fashion camera that I thought it might be fun to shoot some cosplay on it. I'm not sure how useable the results will be, though, since they'd be black and white photos and much harder to retouch than digital stuff, but it could be a pretty cool side thing.
>>
>>9008420
where do you live? I make $30 on a good day.
>>
>>9020842
Film would be a really cool side project but considering how much cosplayers usually do touchups and aftereffects I would think only a small proportion would be open to the idea.
>>
>>9020842
Some of the guys in California do it. 35, medium format, at least one guy with a large format. It's more a fun gimmick than anything, especially if you have instant film in the film back. You probably wouldn't want to burn a lot of film on a single person too.
>>
>>9020317
Maybe you should stand next to her.. so there wouldn't be a need to load up twice
>>
>>9021354
Maybe you should learn to read instead of thinking how you salve your fragile pride
>>
>>9020269
>Showing off what a sensitive scumbag you are
>Showing off what a sensitive scumbag you are by completely misreading a straightforward reply

kek
>>
>>9018648
Can we stop bringing this asshat up? He's only doing it for the drama. His photos suck.
>>
>>9020878
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too.

>>9020989
Oh man, instant film would be fun. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to use Instax film in a Hassy, looks like a few people have tried to get the ball rolling on a back for it but none of them have gone anywhere.
>>
>>9003639

Spend your weekends photographing Princess Pinterest and her Rustic Chic / Lace and Burlap wedding for market rates, then, and stop contributing to the of the hobby.

Oh wait, you enjoy going to cons and getting shitfaced with your fellow nerds and making cool art photography of series you like and having cosplayers finance the whole thing even though they've also spent tons of time and money on their part of the project.

Or you know you couldn't hack it professionally because bridezillas and people getting their naked mole rat infant portraits won't deal with your high drama shit and lack of social skills.
>>
>>9008051
>>9014580
Um. No.

This is not a "50/50" anything. Cosplayers want pictures, photographers take pictures. Period.

It isn't a photographer's fault if you can't generate money off your costumes. It's funny how "we're all in it together" when it benefits you, but you throw cosplay photographers under the bus every other time.
>>
>>9020167

In other words, you want to leech off photographers. I hope they all wise up and leave your ass.
>>
>>9022238
>bridezillas and people getting their naked mole rat infant portraits

god, the shudder that ran up my spine at even thinking about shooting shit like this...

I'm so glad that the people I shoot aren't the people writing my checks.
>>
>>9022238
he's probably not making cool art of anything if he was bitching
he probably can't get any work either paid or otherwise
>>
OP here:

I'm not a starting out photographer in terms of cosplay or in general, even though I've been shooting only about 3 years. I've been published nationally and internationally, worked with models from multiple major modeling agencies. My day rate is pretty much in line with other pro photogs in the area.

I've been discussed on 4chan (and I may or may not be one of the photogs mentioned earlier), but nobody ever said my work sucked.

I was mad because cosplayers always book these TERRIBLE $10 an hour photographers, and then complain about the shit photos they get back. And then you have the crazy ones that shit talk, the bitches that think they're superstars for having 1000 likes on Facebook, etc. I love cosplay and the creativity in the community, but why should I bust my ass and not be appreciated? Some cosplayers I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.
>>
>>9022947
do you remember the days where you did TFP?
or worked on projects because you gave a shit and not because of a check?

Remember how you thought in those days.
>>
>>9021563
What happened, used to having your smart talk go unchecked. You must be confused
I'll tell you how it is in front of your beta manslave, however you choose
>>
>>9022947
I'm not too different from you, aside from the fact that I've got a pretty good amount of recognition in the cosplay community. (Largely thanks to my 300k+ like ex.)

I shoot cosplay for free and for fun, and do it on my terms. That suits me. I don't get most paid photogs, it's too much trouble for too little money.
>>
>>9004272
Lol is that all? Your job is paying you cheap. Too bad
Full time factory worker 50 bucks an hour
>>
>>9003639

because you shouldnt be looking to cosplay photography as a viable source of income. it's one thing for a business to not want to pay you for your skills, but expecting to rake in money from photographing people's recreational hobbies is kind of stupid.
>>
>>9008405
I've seen people who spend their money on upgrading their gear while not learning with their own gear. The result is that they still produce the same wailing of shit photos as they did with their previous gear using the same techniques like Dutch angles ( especially to the extreme)
If youre gonna upgrade to full frame, utilise full frame.
I see this shit every time I'm at a convention. And it amazes me sometimes.
>>
>>9023493
Ngl I love Dutch angles
>>
>>9023493
IMO the advantages of FF are disappearing pretty rapidly, so it's hard to know how you'd "utilize" it aside from bokeh whoring at this point, and even that's going away since we're seeing f/1.4 and 1.2 lenses appearing for APS-C systems.

I get where you're coming from, though. Way too many people pouring money into their camera setups and then using them to take endless bland hall snapshots and the like.

I'll admit that I crutch on dutch angles more than I probably should, but a lot of that is because anime and vidya art uses them so often and so they can help give cosplay photos the same "feel" as the source stuff. I also find that they help a lot to make photos with big props seem more dynamic, since most cosplayers don't really know how to pose with swords and guns and realistic techniques don't tend to look good in photos anyway.
>>
>>9023493
what is utilise full frame? you can't do dutch angle in full frame? where did you learn that? Hallmark?
>>
>>9023485
yeah but its a noisy dirty mundane factory dude, the architect guy is just doodling shit all day and jobs that pay 100 dollars an hour can sometimes just be data entry and you've opted to do unskilled factory shit and judge people... sheesh
>>
>>9023808
Judge those that judge others. My jobs done
>>
>>9022998
Yikes, this is the cringest thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>9023161
You're a good person. Op could learn from you.
>>
>>9022947
Why are you looking to the cosplay comm for a wage, though? I always saw it as a give and take. People who spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars on a costume got the love of the character (ideally), and someone who wants to give that person a medium where their work can be brought to life.
>>
If your in Windsor I'll do it for 20\h.
>>
>>9022947
It is really difficult to follow what you're actually whining about. You keep jumping from "not getting paid enough" to "shit photographers get booked and deliver shit product" to "crazy cosplayers!!"

If your work is good, charge the rate you want and behave professionally. If a cosplayer is behaving like an asshole, don't work with them again and don't give in to any demands, simply as that. There's plenty of cosplayers in this community who respect good, well-priced photogs; this is really not a hard concept.
>>
I've been doing cosplay photography as a hobby for the last couple of years; I think I'm steadily getting better, but I'm not AMAZING or anything. I've got a canon, usually work with one kit lens and a 50mm prime.
I'm curious to hear from cosplayers what kinds of photos you wish you got more of? I tend to neglect cropped in images and detail shots, and I'm trying to work on that.
>>
>>9018036
P. much the only Fujifilm photographer on conventions in Germany here. I get funny looks by other photographers, but they don't know shit and are underestimating the system.

It's not about the camera you're using, it's about the photographer taking the picture. Your camera's just a tool. I love people that judge a book by its cover.
>>
>>9024613
I will do it for 10/h
>>
>>9028899
For a someone just taking pictures walking around a con, what are the best places to post photos so the random subjects can find themselves?
>>
>>9024409
If you can spend a thousand dollars on a costume, and seriously scoff at paying a TALENTED professional to photograph it, then fuck you.

Seriously, fuck you. That's all I have to say about that.
>>
>>9024648

Different cosplayers like different things - some people want really good documentation of costume details, some want arty storytelling photojournal stuff, some want photoshop and effects so they literally look like a screenshot - -- practice and get really comfortable in doing what you do best, and people who appreciate what you're doing will seek you out.
>>
I personally never go for cheap photogs. I judge by the quality of their work. If I want photos, I'm willing to pay $$$ for them to look good. I posted about needing photographers once and got so many shitty ones trying to get me to book with them. Yes, they were cheap but I'd rather shell out the extra cash for quality. But, I'm also an artist so I believe that people should charge what they think their work is worth. If you think your time is worth $10 then that's on you.
>>
>>9028880
I just got back from Fanime, my first con with the Fuji system, and had pretty much the same reaction from other photogs and my cosplay friends...

Until I posted preview pics. The reactions I'm getting are making me think Fuji should make me one of their X-Photographers, cause I think I'm gonna sell a lot of cameras for them.
>>
>>9038064
Post something.
>>
>>9038064
Pics or it never happened.
>>
File: DSCF0743.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0743.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1067
>>9038306
>>9038312
This is basically straight out of camera. (And yes, I posted the over-the-shoulder shot because it meant no retouching lol.)
>>
>>9038325
>>9038064
in broad daylight you're going to get a good photo from most cameras so you'd only be convincing people who would be swayed by anything

it's going straight back to the know what to do than what you are using argument
>>
>>9038325
Why shoot down into the water? If there is some distance in the photo, some perspective, we'l get a better sense of danger / foreboding, and be more interested in why he's drawing his sword.
>>
>>9018036
Not a cosplayer, but I would imagine if it at least looks like more than a P&S or smart phone. They probably won't internally question your abilities. More so if you're taking the extra care to pose them and such.
If you're a known photog in the community with a body of work, then they probably won't even care if you showed up with a QuickSnap.
>>
>>9038362
That's true, but I think in this case it's more about establishing that this is a system on par with DSLRs and not some compact fuckaround camera, and this at least does that. The dynamic range here is really impressive too, even the FF Nikon I just replaced would have struggled with that lighting.

>>9038458
Physically impossible given the location, and the background wasn't great anyway, with a bunch of brightly colored trash on the other side of the stream that would've showed up even with a shallow depth of field. Plus there wasn't actually anything over there worth drawing a sword for. I have plenty of other shots from the set that have more context, but this one made a good teaser.
>>
>>9038325
That's nothing special. Looks like a snapshot. Poor composition.
>>
>>9038325
While not terrible, it's certainly not striking enough that I would think a camera company would even consider you as a brand ambassador. I'll give you credit for confidently putting your work out there, but it sort of puzzles me why you're putting forth an explicitly un-processed image as a show of skill. To me at least, the ability to skillfully edit an image in post is one of the most impressive things a photographer can have. I think you still have a long way to go on your photographic journey, but you seem to have the basics down well.
>>
>>9041220
if I had to guess it's because he wanted to drop something asap after the con so he went with that one
>>
>>9041220
Uh, I don't mean to brand/argue but
That is the gimmick of Fuji. With fuji you don't need raws as you can get amazing DR and quality out of their cameras. Fuji raws are painful for the Lightroom crowd (capture 1 works) but ideally with Fuji oh should not need them.
>>
>>9041220
I was joking about the brand ambassador thing, I guess that wasn't clear. I just meant in terms of people seeing the preview shots and saying "damn, I've gotta get me one of those."

The image wasn't supposed to be any kind of demonstration of skill, it was just a cool example of the camera and lens combo and easy to post asap, as >>9041226 said. The cosplayer in the photo also really liked that shot because it looks so much like a game screenshot.

Nothing I shoot in the immediate future with this camera is likely to be much of a skill showcase, because most of what I do is on the lighting end of things and I don't have speedlights for this camera yet.
>>
>>9003639
Lots of drama in the Toronto cosplay photography comm from what I've heard. It's bananas.
>>
>>9041400
Still probably not as bad as in the East Coast
>>
>>9042263
Toronto is about as East as it gets.

But East Coast photogs are generally horrible. Excpet for me, of course. I'm talented.
>>
Looking to hire a photog for AX but i've been burned before, is there like a list or a catalog for ones to avoid,etc.?
>>
>>9008243
I read them. But I'm a lawyer and I read them to laugh at stock language that the photographer can't possibly understand.
>>
>>9043677
How did you get burned? If they were just untalented you could post pics here and ask for thoughts. Otherwise they'll usually credit the cosplayer in their example photos, so just messaging their models might turn up some info.
>>
>>9044855
we just never got photo's back i can't recall their name because that was a few years. i'm trying to book shoots for 3 different cosplays over the whole con and i can't seem to find anyone
>>
>>9043677
>>9044905
I'd offer but I'm ridiculously slow at returning photos, and I'm also cosplaying this year so I have less shoot days available.
>>
>>9043677
Interesting; I didn't know people booked photographers at West Coast conventions.

If people book photogs over there, I'm down to travel. I've never been to AX before.
>>
>>9044912
It's not as common as in the East, but it's still a thing here. We do have a lot of good photogs who shoot casually if you're OK with waiting a long time for photos, though. (We have a pretty good number of actual pro photogs who shoot cosplay for fun, but lag on editing because they're fitting it around actual work schedules or just because they're so sick of editing photos all day that it's hard to get motivated to do it outside work.)
>>
>>9043677
If you do any California conventions, do not, I repeat, do not use a "free" photographer. Most of them don't know what they are doing and never done any professional work.

If a photographer charges, even in California, they are worth working with.
>>
>>9044905
what costumes?

>>9044938
you're going with the wrong ones then. if you aren't choosing them based on what they've done before or even asking your friends (and you'll see that a large chunk of people in CA know each other and can give you a thumbs up/down) then you deserve it. then again a lot of the good ones only shoot friends now.
>>
>>9044961
I believe it was for a Bravely Default shoot we did.
>>
>>9044999
sorry, meant what costumes did you want shot?
>>
>>9045007
it's all duo shots (me and one other cosplayer) one is a few costumes from PSO2, another are from Kaiba and the last would be Vampire Kyun from Idolm@ster
>>
>>9045042
ah. none of those are really my thing unfortunately
>>
File: 1368070204296.gif (2 MB, 267x151) Image search: [Google]
1368070204296.gif
2 MB, 267x151
>>9044905
>>9045042
>PSO2
>Kaiba
>Vampire Kyun
Awesome, I'd totally do it for free if I were in the US. I really need to visit AX next year.
>>
>>9046055
Go with Fanime or something instead if you want to shoot, AX is a horrible con for photography.
>>
>>9046148
Agree! But not a lot of people busted out their A game this year at fanime
>>
>>9046997
I think he meant location wise
>>
You shouldn't. You should GTFO
>>
#thecosplayalliance and #premiumcontent help get your photos trending on social media I learned
>>
>>9022947

Umm...you shouldn't bust your ass. It seems to me like you have a lot more going on, so why does this even bother you? Unless you're grossly over exaggerating or outright lying about your success. Successful photographers don't complain about shooting random cosplayers for pennies. You shouldn't even be shooting cosplayers if you're successful. Successful photographers are too busy to be charging for shoots at cons.
>>
Ok I have a question. I'm just starting (well I can't say just starting, my page is slowly starting to become pouplar. What do cosplayers think of photoshop/lightroom.

As a photographer, 99% of my images are manuplated (if nothing else for exposure/light reasons), and then 90% of those are maniuplated because well.. my camera records everything. I can see all your acne, your belmishes, your imperfect skin, and honestly I would not feel right uploading images that make people look bad, so at the least I remove blemishes/bad/uneven skin. Is that ethical?
>>
>>9054414
Yeah its ethical. People do not have an issue of stuff being touched up. It is an issue when you get to the point of altering their body, face shape, etc without them agreeing to it. There is a big difference between taking redness out of my face and giving me a new nose.
>>
>>9054414
Edit away just don't get carried away and make the stereotypical plastic skin. You want it to look good but still possible in real life. No one will complain about looking good. Never let the untouched versions see the light of day though.You don't want people to know exactly what you did, especially if it involves a bit of liquify or warping
>>
>>9003639
>paying for cosplay photography

Seems legit.
>>
>>9015434
The photography is decent, but the costume sucks....
>>
>>9055458
Legit sucks, yes. That Dutch Angle is just painful to look at. I can see wanting to use it to improve the photo, and maybe if the photographer had moved more in front of the cosplayer and angled it so the sword was coming into the lens, then the D.Angle would've made the photo even better, but as is, no.
>>
File: not.jpg (118 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
not.jpg
118 KB, 600x600
Is the not just pixels thing still an issue? I saw some cosplayers begging to restore an instagram account that got deleted after a bunch of photographers got it taken down for posting their photos with and without credit while hogging all the likes
>>
>>9058744
It's something that's been going on as long as the internet has been around. The photographers have every right to make copyright takedowns and if a human at Twitter saw fit to kill the account then it means there was enough evidence to do so.
>>
>>9058773
Sorry, Instagram

I'd assume it was because photos were posted with watermarks edited out or without credit anywhere in the post text
>>
i know the account well. They posted images without credit. Their justification? No watermark and no credit from the cosplayer who submitted the image. It's your job to ask for that info. They should have known better.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 1280x851
Nikon df master race reporting in, what cameras are you guys sporting? Can you justify spending over 2-3k on a nice full frame camera as a casual photographer, or do you feel like only professionals should spend that much?
>>
>>9044961
If a photographer is shooting only friends, they are not that good. It shows they are too scared to practice and learn with different people.
>>
>>9060413
is that the comics and cosplay one? I hate that one. Always posting the same group of cosplayers and photographers for the most part.
>>
>>9060528

If we are being perfectly honest here, many cosplayers view a photographer as simply nothing more than a human camera, so it should be absolutely no surprise that some have taken the road of simply working with ppl whom actually view them as a friend.
>>
>>9060457
you bought a gimmick hipster camera.

nobody cares
>>
If I'm trying to build a portfolio of something more than hall-shots, whats the best way to get cosplayers let me formally shoot them without having to pay for it? Can I message them out of the blue on facebook without coming off as a completely and total weirdo?
>>
>>9062914
It's not that creepy. I don't know where you live, but there is a facebook group for Midwest Photographers. Make a post that you'd like to work with some cosplayers on building your portfolio. But for the love of god, produce some fucking photos or tell the cosplayer what went wrong. I've worked with several free photographers, and while I don't feel entitled to anything cause it's free, it's frustrating to not see a single photo. I spent the time doing the shoot with you, at least give me an explanation if they didn't come out well!
>>
>>9003639
it's your fault for picking a shitty job. I mean, what did you fucking expect? It's cosplay. Every other cosplayer is either an absolute cunt, baby, or a creep.

You reap what you sow.
>>
Generally a photographer is a pervert animal who wants flirt with every nerdy girl because muh alternative hipster aura pseudo alpha.

You attention whores create this abomination. Enjoy them :^)
>>
>>9062965
They should be grateful that we even let these creeps photograph us. It's not like we'd ever give them attention outside of the con. Most of the seagulls on here have boyfriends that aren't disgusting, entitled, manbaby neckbeards that are under 5'10.
>>
>>9062972

Fat attention whore detect
>>
>>9062914
Ask Eugene Manning. Do opposite of what he told you to do.
>>
$20/hour is a decent pay you fucking inbred. You're taking photos.
>>
>>9003639
I've done 10 times the amount of work as you in film for nothing for months then minimum wage working up to 18 hours; stop bitching.
>>
>>9060689
This.
>>
>>9060678
Also This.
>>
>>9062914
Why not pay the cosplayers? You're practicing to get better, right? To be honest, better models create better pictures. Bite the bullet.
>>
>>9054414
Basically if you're editing out things that wouldn't be there in 2 weeks, then you're good.
>>
>>9063897
In that case don't get cosplayers. Get actual models.
>>
>>9064067
Because actual models don't want to dress up as Sailor Moon or various other weeb characters for fuckface manchildren.

I wish you would go to a model agency talking about, "Yeah, I'd like a blonde girl so I can dress her up as the Moon Princess for my portfolio."
>>
>>9064067
>>9064186

They can't afford one. Actual models will laugh when you ask them to dress up or pose for only $10/hour
>>
>>9064186
>>9064192
You'd be getting a normal person in normal clothes and not a cosplayer
Model mayhem is one such source without needing to go through an agency and prices range from free to actual money and everywhere inbetween
>>
>>9003899
>This right here. I do cosplay photography because, I'm one of the biggest geeks you'll ever meet, and doing portraits and family pictures would bore hell out of me.

This is why cosplay photogs bitching about not being paid enough fucking pisses me off. Cosplayers let you shoot their costumes they worked hard on, without them you would be photographing boring ass normie weddings and family portraits while cosplay gives you something grandiose and interesting to work with. You should be doing cosplay photography out of geekiness and enjoyment and to get flashy photos in your portfolio, that's the fucking reason the cosplayers are doing it as well. They don't get paid, they fund the fucking costumes out of their own goddamn pockets. I never understand how photographs think they're the only ones who should benefit monetarily. Yeah, you used 5 hours to edit my 3 photos. I used around 300+ work hours and $500+ making this costume.
>>
>>9066146
> Cosplayers let you shoot their costumes they worked hard on

> You should be doing cosplay photography out of geekiness and enjoyment and to get flashy photos in your portfolio

OP here. Cosplayers PAY photographers because THEY WANT photos of their cosplays. No other reason. It doesn't fucking matter how much cosplay photographers enjoy cosplay. I'm sure boudoir photographers like taking pictures of naked and near naked women, and newborn photographers like taking pictures of babies, but they still get PAID for their time.

And fuck "letting" me take pictures of shit. The vast majority of the cosplayers who book shoots show up without makeup, with terrible construction on their cosplay, and expect us to work magic, for fucking beer money. Fuck that.

> [Cosplayers] don't get paid, they fund the fucking costumes out of their own goddamn pockets. I never understand how photographs think they're the only ones who should benefit monetarily.

If you spend $500 with no idea how you're going to benefit or recoup your investment, THAT'S NO ONE'S PROBLEM BUT YOUR OWN. You should do cosplay modeling, and get paid. But the fact of the matter is, most of the ones who pay for shoots look terrible. And the ones who don't look terrible will whine about how cosplay "should be for fun and not money". You're only handicapping yourself.
>>
>>9066146
There's a reason cosplayers pay for photographers.

1) Get photos back.
2) Get good photos back.

That's pretty much it. The problem is you have amateurs jumping in, who undercharge and then tank the market, while they're still learning the craft. Sadly most cosplayers are amateurs who think with their wallets and quickly for for these shitty photographers that charge $10-30 a shoot, and then later bitch about shitty photos or enjoy shitty photos.

As for cosplayers not getting paid? Get out of here with that BS. Every day another Patreon pops up with cosplayers begging for money, while they monetize their Youtube and Twitch streams for basically blogs, as well as shitty print sales. If you haven't then you're either an idiot, an unskilled idiot, or a fugly idiot, or even all of the above in the form of the grand pooba of idiots.
>>
>>9065180
This
>>
>>9066241
>As for cosplayers not getting paid? Get out of here with that BS. Every day another Patreon pops up with cosplayers begging for money, while they monetize their Youtube and Twitch streams for basically blogs, as well as shitty print sales. If you haven't then you're either an idiot, an unskilled idiot, or a fugly idiot, or even all of the above in the form of the grand pooba of idiots.
Do you actually think cosplayers who work on their costumes do patreons AND get money and not just sluts streaming on twitch? The people who get money off patreon are funded by neckbeards who want to see more gamur gurl tits, they don't give a shit about you unless you're in a push-up bikini. And while we're on the topic, there are plenty of PHOTOGRAPHERS who put up a patreon too. And even scam tons of money for a photographing tour.

>>9066198

>And fuck "letting" me take pictures of shit. The vast majority of the cosplayers who book shoots show up without makeup, with terrible construction on their cosplay, and expect us to work magic, for fucking beer money. Fuck that.
And how about photographers who never give the photos back, or don't let you pick the photographs you want and only hand you a couple of badly edited, overexposed photographs that barely show off the costume? Or plaster a huge ass watermark over the photo so that it completely overshadows the photograph itself and doesn't leave room for the cosplayer's watermark? It's your choice to shoot unreliable cosplayers who don't want to make an effort.

>If you spend $500 with no idea how you're going to benefit or recoup your investment, THAT'S NO ONE'S PROBLEM BUT YOUR OWN.
Again, this applies to photographers as well. Bought a $1500 camera and a $600 lens and need to make your money back? Tough shit, go shoot the normie weddings if you want to bank on your investment. Most cosplay photographers are amateurs themselves but think they're professionals just because they got the gear.
>>
>>9066273
If only there was a way to find out what you're getting when you shoot with people, like a way to contact them or something.

Quit your deflecting and playing the victim. We called you out on your idiocy, and you just can't handle it. The fault lays with you and your inability to research photographers and/or contacting them ahead of time. Paid photographers are staying, as they guarantee photos or else they get vilified like some poor wannabe homeless victim constantly posting GoFundMe campaigns every month.
>>
>>9066308
>Quit your deflecting and playing the victim.
The irony is astounding.
>>
>>9004272
>what is freelance
>>
>>9022998
>>9020269
>>9021354

C r i n g e
>>
>>9064186

Except if you were paying a model to model for you in an outfit and you had the money you probably could get a model to dress up as Sailor Moon.

Not saying models would do anything for money but what you're describing isn't something unrealistic.
>>
>>9068199
If you personally know an agency model, and she wants to dress up, yes, that cosplay shoot could definitely happen.

If you went to a modeling agency, and tried to request a model off their board for a test shoot for cosplay, best case scenario: they're laughing you out of the office.

Worst case scenario: You going on their list.
>>
I want to see a tryhard cosplay photographer thread. Just a general discussion on all the wannabes, whether they're actually good or not.
>>
>>9071404
All cosplay photographer threads are tryhard threads. >_>
>>
>>9003639
>cosplay photography as a job instead of as a hobby.

lol.
>>
>>9071375
You can go to a modeling agency to have one of their models cosplay for you, but they'll quote you the same rate as everyone else. Pretty much most cosplay photographers won't be able to afford them, not to mention it's up to YOU to provide the cosplay.
>>
>>9071594
If it's some rinky dink outfit that is desperate to take any kind of work for their models, sure.

But if you think you walking into Elite, or Ford, talking about, "Yeah, I need a blonde to put on this Sailor Moon costume", you're going to get put on a poster for the security guards.
>>
File: 1455430362981.jpg (3 MB, 4896x3264) Image search: [Google]
1455430362981.jpg
3 MB, 4896x3264
>>9041315
The best thing about the Fuji system (XT-1) for me is the fact that it is lightweight compared to my old gear which was a Nikon D200 with an old 28-70 and 70-200. Walking around with that all day at a con gets annoying.
>>
>>9071769
I'm sure Ford or Elite would lend you a model if you could afford $1,000 model for an hour/half day/whatever, as long as the model selected was also comfortable with the costume. Let's be real here. Of course they're also going to check you first, like ask for your portfolio. I'm sure many photographers would be shown the door when they just pull up their Instagram, Tumblr, or Facebook pages.
>>
>>9003639
twenty goddamn dollars an hour?

I'd take any degree of abuse some slut can dish out for that. No joke.
>>
>>9058779
You also have to be aware that just because you ''give credit'' or ''show their watermark'', it might still NOT be okay.
>>
>>9081298
Bruh, it's not worth it.

You gotta sit through their inane questions about your "portfolio" and skills before the shoot (meanwhile, they're 50 pounds over weight and never wear makeup).

Then you gotta shoot with them out in the hot sun, or indoors (and they have NO PERSONALITY, and NO CLUE how to pose, even though THEY CHOSE THE CHARACTER).

Then, finally, you have to deal with them hounding you for photos, literally even before you get home and unpack from the con.

To break even from a con, you'd need to spend roughly 400-500. For 20 an hour, you'd have to do 16-20 shoots, put up with all that shit (times 20), and then not make any profit on top of it? LOL. No.
>>
>>9081298
When you factor in spending the same amount of time editing and post production it quickly turns into 10 per hour or less. Unless you just dump unedited jpgs.
>>
>>9038325
bruh if this guy turned around and faced the sun this would have turned out radically different. it'd be uneven lighting on their face, they'd be squinting... it wouldn't work out that well. maybe prove me wrong?
>>
>>9086580
Reflector for a soft fill light would have worked and created catchlights on the model's eyes.

Also why is the focus on the butt and not the hand drawing the sword? If you're gonna have that action as the focal point for the picture you have to nail the focus.

It just feels... average.
>>
>>9090404
Auto Focus
>>
>>9092162
You know you can still select different focal points with auto focus, right?
>>
>>9092169
Tell that to the photographer who took that photo then, not me
>>
>>9003639
I have a feeling this is the same ego inflated butt hurt faggot from the bad photog thread. Your salt is delicious.
Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.